Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2021, 07:44   #31
BHPian

re: Delhi - Chandigarh : Route Queries

I went via Lampur border, the route was fine.

Bawana industrial area --> Lampur border --> Rai --> Chandigarh

GT road was fine after Rai, no stoppages.
dhinchak is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2021, 20:54   #32
BHPian

re: Delhi - Chandigarh : Route Queries

So I did.manage to reach Chandigarh without any problem.

Avoided NH44 due to farmers agitation and google showing lot of road closures.

Here is the route I have taken.

Agra to Jewar Taj Expressway (Full.of surprises. No fasstag. Toll only in cash, speed limit 75)
Greater Noida Pari Chowk to Sirsa and taken Eastern Peripheral Express way
Took exit for Muradnagar (busy road)
Muradnagar to Khatauli (2 lane road. Condition good but heavy traffic)
Khatauli to Saharanpur Yamunanagar and Panchkula Chandigarh. Excellent road

Delhi - Chandigarh : Route Queries-screenshot_20210131200356_maps.jpg
dicor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2021, 12:31   #33
Team-BHP Support

Re: Delhi - Chandigarh : Route Queries

Guys, my younger brother has to drive down to Chandigarh tomorrow with family (wife & 3 year old kid) from Delhi (Dwarka)

Before the latest unrest a couple of days back, we did a few trips using the KMP expressway to reach Sonipat and thereafter to Chandigarh via Karnal.

Have the protests picked up again in the last few days, especially in Karnal? Or is the same route doable?

TIA

Last edited by Eddy : 30th August 2021 at 12:36.
Old 30th August 2021, 12:38   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
using the KMP expressway to reach Sonipat and thereafter to Chandigarh via Karnal.

Have the protests picked up again in the last few days, specially in Karnal? Or is the same route doable?
It happened one day, it's normal now. But instead of Sonipat, better go via KMP- Rohtak bypass- Panipat. Little lengthy but you don't have to go through the construction mess between Sonipat and Panipat.
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2021, 23:00   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
It happened one day, it's normal now. But instead of Sonipat, better go via KMP- Rohtak bypass- Panipat. Little lengthy but you don't have to go through the construction mess between Sonipat and Panipat.
Any latest update on the construction and route diversion on this route, will be travelling to Amritsar for the upcoming weekend.
Old 21st December 2021, 15:11   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highh5 View Post
Any latest update on the construction and route diversion on this route, will be travelling to Amritsar for the upcoming weekend.
Eastern peripheral is excellent till Kundli(Sonipat). After that all okay with small diversions due to construction of bridges till Karnal. Rest is excellent again. Do expect traffic between Sonipat-Ambala
Old 9th September 2022, 17:55   #37
BHPian

I will be traveling from Gurgaon to Kasauli tomorrow morning. Is there any update on this road? Are construction work still going on.
Apparantly, there is a new Highway from Rohtak to Ambala which is my primary suggestion by Gmaps. I would prefer to avoid that as its fairly new with no info online.
Old 9th September 2022, 18:21   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by learning_cars View Post
I will be traveling from Gurgaon to Kasauli tomorrow morning. Apparantly, there is a new Highway from Rohtak to Ambala which is my primary suggestion by Gmaps.
Reaching that highway can be a pain. Google will misguide if you are coming from Gurgaon. So, unless you are leaving at peak timings or are closer to Manesar, better continue the usual Delhi route. Delhi - Ambala is six lanes.

If you must go via a new road (high-speed road but no food etc.), don't leave the Rohtak-Hissar highway as suggested by google in the below link. Instead, continue a little further and take the exit at Toll plaza Narnaul-Ambala Highway Kharkada. For some reason, google does not show this.

https://goo.gl/maps/ZEhCDdHMrp1axb6H6

You may be surprised how little time it will take on this road to Ambala

Last edited by Turbanator : 9th September 2022 at 18:52.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 18:52   #39
BHPian

Quote:
So, unless you are leaving at peak timings or are closer to Manesar, better continue the usual Delhi route. Delhi - Ambala is six lanes.
Thanks for your response on this. Will stick with the Delhi Ambala route, which has lots of good places to rest and eat, feels much more safer traveling with family. Hopefully, the new highway might have reduced a bit of congestion on this one and might be the preferable route to Chandigarh by my next trip.
Old 9th September 2022, 19:16   #40
BHPian

I did Greater Noida-Chandigarh and back early this week. Mistake I made was I went through Delhi instead taking EPE till Sonipat. Took me 2.5 hrs only to reach Murthal! Google showed 4.5 hrs from Greater Noida to Zirakpur via EPE. Post Sonipat NH48 has transformed and how! Loved it. Murthal to Chandigarh was done under 3 hrs. Couldn’t resist taking a picture of the new 8-laned section.

Delhi - Chandigarh : Route Queries-abf52d9a57a94a06b5275b951a21f533.jpeg

Last edited by Sheel : 9th September 2022 at 20:24. Reason: thru = through.
sinharishi is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 14th September 2022, 13:38   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by learning_cars View Post
I will be traveling from Gurgaon to Kasauli tomorrow morning. Is there any update on this road? Are construction work still going on.
Update from my end after the trip :

Took the periphery(Kundli-Manesar-Palwal Expressway) to Kundli and drove on to NH44(new name for NH1) till Ambala. Hopped on Ambala-CHD expressway from here, followed by NH5 to Dharampur and then a short drive on a narrow road leading to Kasauli. All the expressways were quite good.

The only issue I think is for people taking the periphery expressway from Gurgaon(I stay near Huda Metro station) is that there is no perfect way to take one unless you are from Manesar. Google maps shows 3-4 routes depending on when you search but none of them are great and take you through cramped villages(at least for a short distance) with poor roads and worse traffic sense. The additional distance and time makes going to Manesar first would make it a moot exercise.

A bit off topic but I just checked my Paytm Fastag account and I paid about 1,075 for the return trip (Gurgaon to Kasauli and back), which I feel is completely absurd. I might be out of touch on this topic but for a 650-700kms in total, felt quite high to me. But, the good roads in a way make up for it. Didn't have to face any long queues all the toll plaza's which was delightful.

Definitely recommend people travelling on Del-Chd route to drive as it was an effortless journey.

Last edited by Turbanator : 9th October 2022 at 11:47. Reason: fixed quote.
learning_cars is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2022, 11:42   #42
BHPian

The Murthal - Kundli border - Jahangirpuri stretch on this highway is a dangerous and to be avoided.

1. Due to work reasons, I have made 5 trips to this stretch in the past ~ 5 months. From Hauz Khas in Delhi, it takes 2.5 hrs easy to get to my destination on Kundli border. The road has not improved in that period. Not one bit.

2. We did a family trip roadtrip to HP for the first time. Post-Murthal the road is great but the Murthal- Jahangirpuri stretch is dangerous:

- The NHAI construction debris is all over the place and with little lighting. Accidents waiting to happen on this stretch.

- The stretch is fine in the early morning (when we headed out to HP) but Friday evening traffic (around 7-8 pm) is deadly with testosterone fuelled driving. People drive like they are in a gaming arcade.

I am not sure if the Manesar peripheral expressway makes sense, if one is travelling from South Delhi. So no good options.

One can only hope that Mr Nitin Gadkari turns his benevolent eyes to this stretch of the highway. Its amazing that a route as well travelled as this one is allowed to remain in this condition.
Old 9th October 2022, 11:49   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaced Out View Post
The Murthal - Kundli border - Jahangirpuri stretch on this highway is a dangerous and to be avoided.
The last I traveled few weeks ago, the roads are all done - 4+4 lane apart from one or two under construction flyovers which should be completed by now. Looks you have not used this stretch recently.
Old 9th October 2022, 12:13   #44
BHPian

Quote:
The last I traveled few weeks ago, the roads are all done - 4+4 lane apart from one or two under construction flyovers which should be completed by now. Looks you have not used this stretch recently.

I did this route on 1st Oct (Sat) to HP and 7th Oct (Fri) return. I may have mis-named the route and the roads near Murthal are not bad but the Kundli stretch is terrible. A fabulous combination of bad lighting - construction debris - diversions galore - arcade level driving make this stretch a death trap.

I am 41 and with good eyesight but in parts the divider was barely visible. Accidents are waiting to happen on this stretch.
Old 9th October 2022, 12:23   #45
Team-BHP Support

Yes, before Kundli border (if that old border you are referring ) there's a stretch of around 2-3 km that was under construction. Looks, it has turned worst before it improves for good.

But this is a short stretch. Must be due to peak rush it took you long to clear. There is no other better way if you are coming from Delhi.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks