Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2011, 23:21   #1
BHPian

Direction solicited to reach Talcher town from NH 5

Gentlemen,
I shall like to drive to Talcher from Calcutta. And I shall go by NH5, as it is a good divided four lane road. From what I see from Google maps, there are two or three options for me. Either I may reach a place named Panikoili (in Jajapur district of Orissa), and turn right on NH 215 and reach Jajpur-Keonjhar Road railway station. About one or two KM ahead from there I may take the state highway 20 on my left, which will lead me to NH 200 at a place named Duburi Chhak. Or I may reach Chandikhol Chowk to proceed on NH 200 from there. There is another option to drive almost up to Cuttack and turn right at Manguli for NH 42. By this road I may reach a place possibly named Banarpal Square via Dhenkanal to again turn right for NH 23. Which option shall I take?
Any member of this forum who has been to these areas in recent times and is informed about the present condition of the roads is requested to kindly share his views.
Regards,
Rahul Biswas
Calcutta

Last edited by rahul4640 : 6th November 2011 at 23:39.
Old 12th November 2011, 22:59   #2
BHPian

Re: Direction solicited to reach Talcher town from NH 5

Gentlemen,
Has any member of this forum traveled by NH 42 and NH 23 (in Orissa) lately? If so, kindly share your views of the current road conditions. Any opinion regarding the current condition of NH 200 will be also be very much helpful.
Thanks in anticipation and regards,
Rahul
Old 14th November 2011, 20:38   #3
Senior - BHPian

Cross-posting also on IndianHighway Forum.

Any answers there?

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2011, 21:12   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4640 View Post
Gentlemen,
I shall like to drive to Talcher from Calcutta. And I shall go by NH5, as it is a good divided four lane road. From what I see from Google maps, there are two or three options for me. Either I may reach a place named Panikoili (in Jajapur district of Orissa), and turn right on NH 215 and reach Jajpur-Keonjhar Road railway station. About one or two KM ahead from there I may take the state highway 20 on my left, which will lead me to NH 200 at a place named Duburi Chhak. Or I may reach Chandikhol Chowk to proceed on NH 200 from there. There is another option to drive almost up to Cuttack and turn right at Manguli for NH 42. By this road I may reach a place possibly named Banarpal Square via Dhenkanal to again turn right for NH 23. Which option shall I take?
Any member of this forum who has been to these areas in recent times and is informed about the present condition of the roads is requested to kindly share his views.
Regards,
Rahul Biswas
Calcutta
Yes there is 3 option to reach Talcher.

1 ) Panikoili Route :- Bad Roads all the way with dangerous single lane SH packed with trucks. Please avoid this route.

2) Chndikhol Route :- Good road upto Talcher. This route is specially for truck transporting Iron ore to Paradip port. If you are OK with this you can take this route. Careful at village area.

3) From Manguli :- This place is after Chndikhol. Good SH till Talcher. With very very less traffic all the way. This may be the longer route but this road is safe and less traffic.

Another 2-3 option available those are not in google map. But i suggest to take the 3rd route.

Please let me know if you need any more information.
KALINGA is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2011, 00:22   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Cross-posting also on IndianHighway Forum. Any answers there?
Thanks Sutripta Sir. Actually I was just thinking of selecting the route having the least traffic and the best road surface.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KALINGA View Post
From Manguli:- This place is after Chndikhol. Good SH till Talcher. With very very less traffic all the way. This may be the longer route but this road is safe and less traffic. But i suggest to take the 3rd route.
Please let me know if you need any more information.
Thanks Kalinga Sahab. The winter vacation in my daughter's school starts two days earlier than anticipated and I think I shall spend these one or two days somewhere on my way, once I select the actual route. I shall also definitely visit Satkosia.
Old 15th November 2011, 20:10   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALINGA View Post
Yes there is 3 option to reach Talcher.

3) From Manguli :- This place is after Chndikhol. Good SH till Talcher. With very very less traffic all the way. This may be the longer route but this road is safe and less traffic.
Hi
Which route is this? How does it compare to NH5-NH42 route? (I used that almost exclusively.)

Regards
Sutripta
Old 15th November 2011, 20:14   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Hi
Which route is this? How does it compare to NH5-NH42 route? (I used that almost exclusively.)

Regards
Sutripta
This was already there in Rahul's post.

turn right at Manguli for NH 42. By this road I may reach a place possibly named Banarpal Square via Dhenkanal to again turn right for NH 23.

Last edited by KALINGA : 15th November 2011 at 20:15.
Old 15th November 2011, 20:19   #8
Senior - BHPian

^^^
Oh, thought the NH5 NH42 jnc (just shy of the bridge, where it passes under the railway line was called something else.

Regards
Sutripta

Most Viewed