Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2013, 23:48   #46
Senior - BHPian

re: Calcutta - Bhutan : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4640 View Post
Any idea what time does the RSTA office open up in the morning, Sir? And what may be the usual time taken for this car document to be ready?
If you reach on a weekend or a holiday it would be from 1100 to 1300. Otherwise on normal weekdays it would be best to be there around 8. Ideally if every thing is in order should not take more than 30 mins.
Sir? ?
wanderernomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2013, 00:14   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
If you reach on a weekend or a holiday it would be from 1100 to 1300. Otherwise on normal weekdays it would be best to be there around 8. Ideally if every thing is in order should not take more than 30 mins.
I simply had no idea that this document might also be issued on weekends or holidays. I always thought that I had to reach Phuntsholling on a working day, to obtain this permit. BTW, Is it available from the same location on all days, irrespective of it being a full working day or a holiday? I am now thinking of reaching Phuntsholling one day in advance, so that I may reach their office at 8 O'clock sharp.
Old 22nd December 2013, 12:17   #48
BHPian

Quote:
I simply had no idea that this document might also be issued on weekends or holidays. I always thought that I had to reach Phuntsholling on a working day, to obtain this permit. BTW, Is it available from the same location on all days, irrespective of it being a full working day or a holiday? I am now thinking of reaching Phuntsholling one day in advance, so that I may reach their office at 8 O'clock sharp.
In the off season, there should not be any rush to obtain the permits. It can be obtained on the same day and one can proceed to Thimpu. If you are delayed, staying back at Kuenga hotel (opposite to permit office) might be an option. You can also obtain the permits and stay back at one of hotels at upper phutsholing on the way to Thimpu.

Out of topic: Could any one update me on the condition of the kalyani highway?

Last edited by black_panther : 22nd December 2013 at 12:19.
Old 22nd December 2013, 17:05   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Most of the people are under this false impression. For more details go through my tlog here which has more such details. In fact you can even secure the individual entry permits as well on holidays and upto 2100 hrs BST.
Old 16th January 2014, 15:10   #50
BHPian

I am traveling to Bhutan this month end and just going through the entry permit application form and it asks for "Address in Bhutan" but we are not doing any advance booking but will decide to stay once we reach Thimpu. Moreover - we will not be staying in just Thimpu but moving from West to Central to East Bhutan in 3 to 4 days.

Is that an issue or the "Address in Bhutan" can be mentioned as TBD on arrival or any other suggestions from people who have traveled earlier without a prior stay arrangement?
Old 16th January 2014, 15:17   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheshramaling View Post
I am traveling to Bhutan this month end and just going through the entry permit application form and it asks for "Address in Bhutan" but we are not doing any advance booking but will decide to stay once we reach Thimpu. Moreover - we will not be staying in just Thimpu but moving from West to Central to East Bhutan in 3 to 4 days.

Is that an issue or the "Address in Bhutan" can be mentioned as TBD on arrival or any other suggestions from people who have traveled earlier without a prior stay arrangement?
Not an issue at all. You can say TBD or say "Hotel in THimphu". Immigration is not particular in the case of Indians.
hvkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2014, 18:08   #52
BHPian

Hi all,

I am heading to Bhutan tomorrow morning from Bangalore via vizag, bhubaneshwar, Kolkata, Siliguri - phuentsholing - Thimpu.

From Thimpu - we go to central bhutan, east bhutan and will exit out from Samdrup Jongkhar.

So - would anyone be able to share, if there are any issues or harthals/ road blocks along this route or condition of the road recently?
Old 29th January 2014, 18:22   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Not an issue at all. You can say TBD or say "Hotel in THimphu". Immigration is not particular in the case of Indians.
+1 to HVK Sir. When we visited Bhutan, we had not booked any hotel in advance. I left the space blank in the permit application form.
The officials at the counter themselves wrote 'c/o any hotel' on our forms. So, you can use any of the jargon which suit your staying options.
The officials are not strict with immigration procedures for Indians.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2014, 19:14   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi all,

I am heading to Bhutan tomorrow morning from Bangalore via vizag, bhubaneshwar, Kolkata, Siliguri - phuentsholing - Thimpu.

From Thimpu - we go to central bhutan, east bhutan and will exit out from Samdrup Jongkhar.

So - would anyone be able to share, if there are any issues or harthals/ road blocks along this route or condition of the road recently?
The roads through central Bhutan are a mess. Unless you are doing it in a high GC vehicle please proceed with caution. Bhutan has seen a lot of snow this year.
wanderernomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2014, 19:35   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
The roads through central Bhutan are a mess. Unless you are doing it in a high GC vehicle please proceed with caution. Bhutan has seen a lot of snow this year.
Thanks! We will be in a Pajero and Xylo - so I assume we should be ok.
Old 30th January 2014, 11:10   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks! We will be in a Pajero and Xylo - so I assume we should be ok.
Drive safe bro! And on your return, post a nice travelogue with lots of pictures of the lovely place.
Good luck!
Old 2nd February 2014, 22:03   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_panther View Post
Could any one update me on the condition of the kalyani highway?
Just went and returned by the Kalyani Expressway today. A lot of construction activity is going on there. Although some stretches are still bad, yet I could see that the road is being reshaped as a divided four lane road.
rahul4640 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2014, 22:28   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Just went and returned by the Kalyani Expressway today. A lot of construction activity is going on there. Although some stretches are still bad, yet I could see that the road is being reshaped as a divided four lane road.
Great news! That would solve a lot of our problems. Where is the four landing taking place? Is it beyond Barrackpore or all through?
Old 2nd February 2014, 22:35   #59
Senior - BHPian

^^^
Kalyani end (around 10 Km) is newly laid and very smooth.
A second carriageway is being built, and the existing road in places is a real mess.

Made the mistake of taking the Nimta - Belghoria Expway (unofficial) connector. Don't. Stick to Birati.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 9th February 2014, 11:39   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post

Made the mistake of taking the Nimta - Belghoria Expway (unofficial) connector. Don't. Stick to Birati.

Regards
Sutripta
Where did you get down from belghoria expressway? We usually take the metallic connector near durganagar. The road till kalyani highway has bad surface and speed breakers, but it is less than a kilometer.

I usually find the 3 km through birati difficult to drive because of the unruly autorickshaws and roadside markets.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks