Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2019, 09:35   #226
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Pune
Posts: 1
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Trip to Somnath from Pune

Hi....I will be driving to Somnath from Pune via Nadiad.

First stretch with be from Pune to Nadiad and night stay.

Will leave Nadiad next day early morning for Somnath.

Any suggestions/recommendations on best route..road conditions please?
psksaxena is offline  
Old 15th April 2019, 10:19   #227
Senior - BHPian
 
humyum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 2,619
Thanked: 4,199 Times
Default Re: Trip to Somnath from Pune

Since I went to Junagadh a week back, I think the best route to take would be Nadiad-Dholka-Junagadh-Somnath.

The roads are excellent all the way

Also, since you are going till Somnath, while returning or while going, you can visit Chorwad on the way, specifically the Chorwad Holiday Camp beach, its excellent, has a holiday home of one of the Nawabs of Junagadh right facing the beach, looks very picturesque
humyum is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2019, 09:05   #228
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 240
Thanked: 180 Times
Default Re: Gujarat road trip - Queries

Planning to do a family road trip across Gujarat towards Christmas vacation for 7 days. Plan is to go to Ahmedabad by Air/Train and hire a self drive rental car. We will be 5 people with luggage required for the 7 days. I am thinking of Duster/Creta. I will be the primary driver with my better half jumping in between.
I want to cover mix of sights, wild life, and experiences.

Below is what I have thought. Does anyone see any obvious challenges in achieving this? Are any places I listed have any constraints? Does any of the below attractions require us to be present at peculiar times? Any tips on reasonably comfortable (not luxurious) accommodation and food stops? How are the road conditions post monsoons ? Which sanctuary is better- Nalsarovar bird or Velavadar blackbuck. I can choose one of them.

Google maps route: https://maps.app.goo.gl/NrxEK17ZjFpM9oha7

25 Dec
Start from Ahmedabad around 8am
Sabarmati ashram and riverfront
Nalsarovar bird sanctuary
Reach Sasan Gir

26 Dec
Gir national park Jeep Safari
Interpretation center afternoon tour

27 Dec
Leave from Sasan Gir
Somnath Mandir
Porbandar visit
Dwaraka and Bet Dwaraka

28 Dec
Jamnagar marine bio diversity park
Reach Hodka Great Rann of Kutchh

29 Dec
Visit Rann, India Bridge

30 Dec
Leave GRK
Little Rann of Kutchh

31 Dec
Modhera Sun temple
Rani ki vav, Patan
Ahmedabad site seeing, shopping if possible
dmplog is offline  
Old 5th September 2019, 15:53   #229
BHPian
 
Ry_der's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Earth
Posts: 144
Thanked: 268 Times
Default Re: Gujarat road trip - Queries

I am yet to visit Kutch-LROK sector. So I will restrict my suggestions to Somnath-Dwarka sector.

Roads: Roads in Gujarat will be in good condition around December. Somnath-Dwarka route was under 4 laning work last when I checked.

Food: good quality vegetarian food is easily available all over Gujarat. 'Honest' chain of restaurants offers decent food and is spread all over Gujarat. Please dont order 'Malai Kofta' anywhere in Gujarat as it goes with the literal meaning (Malai+Kofta), more like a desert.

Stay: Both Somnath & Dwarka have hotels for every budget. You can take help of any of the online hotel aggregator and finalize one for your stay.

Vehicle: Again, its a personal choice. I have covered this stretch in a sedan multiple times.

I will suggest the following changes in your itinerary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmplog View Post
25 Dec
Start from Ahmedabad around 8am
Sabarmati ashram and riverfront
Nalsarovar bird sanctuary
Reach Sasan Gir
Visit Nalsarovar in the early morning or you can visit Thol lake which is very near to Ahmedabad. Beware of Boat Thugs at Nal Sarovar. They will make false promises and ask for extra money to take you closer to the birds.

Quote:
26 Dec
Gir national park Jeep Safari
Interpretation center afternoon tour
Perfect planning... Do remember to book your slot well in advance (like right now) to get a slot of your choice. Try to squeeze Somnath too in this day's plan. Would be better if you can extend some driving hours and reach Dwarka.

Quote:
27 Dec
Leave from Sasan Gir
Somnath Mandir
Porbandar visit
Dwaraka and Bet Dwaraka
This day will be very hectic. Dwarka and Bet Dwarka will need atleast 6 hours itself. Better to reach Dwarika/Porbandar on the night before and cover it in the morning. Please check the temple timings before finalizing your plan as both the temples remain closed during afternoon hours. After Bet Dwarka, you can also visit Nageshwar Jyotirlinga which will take around 1/2 an hour extra.



Cheers!!
Ry_der is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2019, 09:17   #230
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 240
Thanked: 180 Times
Default Re: Gujarat road trip - Queries

Thanks.
I made some minor changes to my plans to reduce the miles and taking it easy. Dropped Nalsarovar (not able to reach before 11am) and added Lothal.

I have couple of more questions..

1) While going from Somnath to Porbandar, Google maps shows 2 routes. One through Madhavpur i.e. NH51 (shortest) and another through Keshod / Manavadar i.e. Mix of state highways and NH151 (longer by 25km). Some times the longer route is suggested by Google. Does this mean that NH51 is still under works? Any recent visits to this part of road by anyone? Is it bad enough to prefer longer state highway?

2) While going from Lothal to Sasan Gir, I get 2 options, which one is better, my gut feeling is to choose Rajkot route. But any thoughts?
Longer National Highway route: Lothal - Limbdi - Rajkot - Gondal - Junagadh - Sasan Gir
Shorter State highway route: Lothal - Dhandhuka - Vallabhipur - Amreli - Bagasara - Visavadar - Sasan Gir
dmplog is offline  
Old 3rd October 2019, 12:00   #231
BHPian
 
earthian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 525
Thanked: 1,671 Times
Default Re: Gujarat road trip - Queries

@dmplog

Longer route to Gir via Rajkot is best. Don't go be the shorter route, especially after the monsoon.
earthian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2019, 12:13   #232
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 243
Thanked: 206 Times
Default Re: Gujarat road trip - Queries

I did the Gujarat Road Trip in 2018, so not sure how current the info is, but here is my two-pence worth:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmplog View Post
Thanks.


1) While going from Somnath to Porbandar, Google maps shows 2 routes. One through Madhavpur i.e. NH51 (shortest) and another through Keshod / Manavadar i.e. Mix of state highways and NH151 (longer by 25km). Some times the longer route is suggested by Google. Does this mean that NH51 is still under works? Any recent visits to this part of road by anyone? Is it bad enough to prefer longer state highway?
I took the Madhavpur route and it was quite ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmplog View Post
2) While going from Lothal to Sasan Gir, I get 2 options, which one is better, my gut feeling is to choose Rajkot route. But any thoughts?
Longer National Highway route: Lothal - Limbdi - Rajkot - Gondal - Junagadh - Sasan Gir
Shorter State highway route: Lothal - Dhandhuka - Vallabhipur - Amreli - Bagasara - Visavadar - Sasan Gir
I took the Amreli route - it is not NH quality, but the roads are quite ok with tree-lining throughout. Quite a pleasant drive.
I took the other route from Gir to Rajkot and that was a typical NH. So, it depends - do you prefer NH quality roads where you can do 120+ (?) or more picturesque roads where your average would be 80-90. Your call.
chinkara is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2019, 14:39   #233
BHPian
 
Who_are_you's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Pune
Posts: 172
Thanked: 414 Times
Default Re: Gujarat road trip - Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmplog View Post
1) While going from Somnath to Porbandar, Google maps shows 2 routes. One through Madhavpur i.e. NH51 (shortest) and another through Keshod / Manavadar i.e. Mix of state highways and NH151 (longer by 25km). Some times the longer route is suggested by Google. Does this mean that NH51 is still under works? Any recent visits to this part of road by anyone? Is it bad enough to prefer longer state highway?

I had done Somanth -Dwarka in March month and roads were in very bad shape. I took Somnath - Jetpur - Porbandar route. Its longer but Jetpur to Porbandar is super smooth 4 lane road.


Quote:
2) While going from Lothal to Sasan Gir
Go via Rajkot
Who_are_you is offline  
Old 18th November 2019, 12:49   #234
BHPian
 
airguitar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 414
Thanked: 704 Times
Default Re: Gujarat road trip - Queries

All,

I have the following planned for 6 days : is this a realistic plan or am I missing something ? Also, I would like recommendations on travel agents or good innova drivers for 6 days. I'm traveling with my ageing parents.

Day 1
Jamnagar airport ( 12.10 PM ) - To Dwaraka ( by 3 pm ). Visit Dwarakadish temple, Sharada peetham, Gomti Ghat, Sudhama setu and sunset at lighthouse

Day 2
Early morning start. Visit Nageshwar Jyotirling. Then to Okha and then ferry to Bet Dwaraka. Be back at Dwaraka for lunch. Afternoon, visit ISKCON temple and any other places within Dwaraka

Day 3
Early start, head towards Somnath. Visit Rukmanshee temple on the route. Visit Somnath temple ( this is not closed for afternoon I hear ). Visit Prabhas Patan museum, Triveni Sangam and Chandrabagha temple. If possible visit the light show at night. Stay for the night is at Gir Sasan. Head to Gir Sasan.

Day 4
Gir Sasan Jungle Trail - Morning and afternoon. Is this too bumpy for aged folks ?

Day 5
Devalia jeep safari and be back by 8. Start to Girnar hills ( 2 hours ). Visit Girnar devi temple ( any trek involved ? ) Return. Visit the other side of the hills - Uperkot + Jatashankar mahadev temple return to Gir Sasan for the evening.


Day 6
Early morning start. Flight at Rajkot at 3 pm. Visit Swaminarayan Mukhya temple enroute.


Is this doable ? Anything I'm missing ?

Also, pls recommend a good Innova vehicle + driver or a good /reliable travel agent just for the car.
__________________
airguitar is offline  
Old 2nd December 2019, 16:09   #235
BHPian
 
PetrolRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: BBSR/Pune
Posts: 477
Thanked: 449 Times
Default Re: Gujarat road trip - Queries

We are planning for a road trip to Gujarat in mid-December.

Pardon me for the stupid question. I have heard of some unique road laws specific to Gujarat only, such as, a yellow strip on head light? Are they still applicable?
Also, for a one day trip to statue of unity, what could be a better base, Vadodara or Ahmedabad?
PetrolRider is offline  
Old 2nd December 2019, 16:23   #236
BHPian
 
earthian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 525
Thanked: 1,671 Times
Default Re: Gujarat road trip - Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post
We are planning for a road trip to Gujarat in mid-December.

Pardon me for the stupid question. I have heard of some unique road laws specific to Gujarat only, such as, a yellow strip on head light? Are they still applicable?
Also, for a one day trip to statue of unity, what could be a better base, Vadodara or Ahmedabad?
The yellow strip on the right hand side of the right light is still in vogue, i think. Though, Gujarat cars are generally not checked, i have heard cases where out of state cars are harassed. i hope not.
As far as S0U is concerned, Vadodara would be nearer, though A'Bad offers much more in sightseeing and experience.
earthian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2019, 16:27   #237
Distinguished - BHPian
 
paragsachania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Belur/Bangalore
Posts: 6,578
Thanked: 22,077 Times
Default Re: Gujarat road trip - Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post
such as, a yellow strip on head light? Are they still applicable?
Gujarat lots this uniqueness couple of year back as the rule was abolished.
Quote:
Also, for a one day trip to statue of unity, what could be a better base, Vadodara or Ahmedabad?
Distance wise. It is obviously Vadodara.
  • If you intend to cover statue of unity during onward, stay and Baroda and then do it the next day : ~ 95 Km
  • If you manage to cross Vadodara early, you can visit statue of unity and then head to Ahmedabad : ~ 200 Km from statue of unity to Ahmedabad
  • If you do not wish to visit Ahmedabad at all, Vadodara still is the best choice and has very decent options to stay
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2019, 16:29   #238
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,080
Thanked: 3,938 Times
Default Re: Gujarat road trip - Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthian View Post
The yellow strip on the right hand side of the right light is still in vogue, i think. Though, Gujarat cars are generally not checked, i have heard cases where out of state cars are harassed. i hope not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post
Pardon me for the stupid question. I have heard of some unique road laws specific to Gujarat only, such as, a yellow strip on head light? Are they still applicable?
Cross posting. From the previous page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
*Absolutely no need for that silly yellow sticker on the side of the headlights in GJ. Drove all over the place in a KA-registered vehicle, was never stopped by cops.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2019, 16:49   #239
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 16,954
Thanked: 11,020 Times
Default Re: Gujarat road trip - Queries

Dont know if you are already done with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post
I have the following planned for 6 days : is this a realistic plan or am I missing something ? Also, I would like recommendations on travel agents or good innova drivers for 6 days. I'm traveling with my ageing parents.
6 days too hectic I would say but doable.

Quote:
Day 1
Jamnagar airport ( 12.10 PM ) - To Dwaraka ( by 3 pm ). Visit Dwarakadish temple, Sharada peetham, Gomti Ghat, Sudhama setu and sunset at lighthouse
Possible but hectic. Evening aarti at 8. I hope you have your personal transport arrange. Else you cant cover on your own.


Quote:
Day 2
Early morning start. Visit Nageshwar Jyotirling. Then to Okha and then ferry to Bet Dwaraka. Be back at Dwaraka for lunch. Afternoon, visit ISKCON temple and any other places within Dwaraka
Change the sequence. First off to Bet Dwarka. Take the first ferry. By the time you are out it would be 1300. Then you can do Rukmani talav and temple, Jyotirling and other temples by evening.

Quote:
Day 3
Early start, head towards Somnath. Visit Rukmanshee temple on the route. Visit Somnath temple ( this is not closed for afternoon I hear ). Visit Prabhas Patan museum, Triveni Sangam and Chandrabagha temple. If possible visit the light show at night. Stay for the night is at Gir Sasan. Head to Gir Sasan.
Most hectic part of the day. Most hectic part of the day. Like I said earlier, take off some of the items to the previous day. Also dont you want to visit Porbandar on the way? My take you can do that and by evening visit Somnath and other temples. The light show usually gets over by 9PM or later. Post that you dont want to drive another 40km in the dark to Gir. Stay overnight at Somnath much better an option.

Quote:
Day 4
Gir Sasan Jungle Trail - Morning and afternoon. Is this too bumpy for aged folks ?
Start very early and you reach Gir very fast. Its hardly 40km. And spend the day at Gir. I hope you have the bookings online else you will have stand and take a chance. It usually touch and go. So be prepared to spend an extra day and stand in queue next day.

Quote:
Day 5
Devalia jeep safari and be back by 8. Start to Girnar hills ( 2 hours ). Visit Girnar devi temple ( any trek involved ? ) Return. Visit the other side of the hills - Uperkot + Jatashankar mahadev temple return to Gir Sasan for the evening.
My take: If you can do Gir in these days, Devalaia can be skipped. Since its more like viewing animals in a confined park and not like the real national park.

Quote:
Day 6
Early morning start. Flight at Rajkot at 3 pm. Visit Swaminarayan Mukhya temple enroute.
Should be possible. Any way be ready delays at airport thanks to fog. Most flights would be a part of a second leg and potentially get delayed thanks to winter.
ampere is offline  
Old 9th December 2019, 17:16   #240
BHPian
 
Torq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: MH12, MH06
Posts: 143
Thanked: 423 Times
Default Re: Gujarat road trip - Queries

Hey guys, planning a trip to GJ in Jan 2020 from Dombivli.
We are six of us including my parents and wife's parents. No kids. We'll be doing this in an ertiga.
All distances and time duration taken from Gmaps as suggested.

Day 1 : 421 : 8hrs 21min
Dombivli to Statue of Unity (stay)

Day 2
SoU to Dakor : 152kms : 3hrs
Dakor to Talod : 91kms : 2.2hrs

Day 3&4
Talod to Shamlaji : 72km : 1.4hr
Udaipur(stay) : 131km : 2.43hr
Nathdwara : 46kms : 1hr
Back to Udaipur

Day 5
Udaipur to Ambaji : 172kms : 3hrs
Ambaji to Mount Abu : 50kms : 1.5hrs
Stay

Day 6&7
Mount Abu to Ahmedabad : 230km : 5hrs
Ahmedabad to Anand : 77 : 1.5hrs

Day 8
Anand to Dombivli : 450kms. : 9hrs

Please help with route options as well as stay options especially for day 2.
Is there anything along the route (or a slight detour) that I am missing out on?
Torq is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks