Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2014, 18:34   #61
BHPian

re: Gujarat road trip - Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajitsingh208 View Post
Hi,

And the other important thing, Permits!!
From what I have understood, for Lakhpat, Dhordo, Kala Dungar it will be made at Bhuj. Is there any agent who can keep these ready when we arrive in Bhuj so that we don't loose time in scrambling for the permits. Otherwise how long does it take normally?

India Bridge - How does one get a permit for this.?
I was in these parts in Februrary this year. The permit situation is as follows
  • You need a permit to go to the white desert at Dhordo. Permits are best obtained at Bhirandiara at the turn off from the Bhuj –Khavda road towards Dhordo. There is a police post there and getting the permit is a 5 minute affair on producing your id. Don't bother arranging this in advance (its a simple affair). You need to cross this point in office hours though (by 4.30 PM)
  • You need no permits to go to either Kala Dungar or up to the India Bridge, despite what some locals might tell you.
  • To go beyond India Bridge right upto the border, you need a permit from the BSF office in Kodki road in Bhuj ( and not from the Collector’s Office as some guides tell you). But be warned that this is a slow affair. This might require a day in Bhuj - I waited from 1.00 PM till 4.00 PM on the day I went; the person issuing the permit was nowhere to be seen and I finally got fed up and left !
Secretariat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2014, 21:57   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm planning a trip in Gujarat.
One one of the days, I wanted to drive from Mandvi to Bhuj Via Lakhpat (route shown below)
https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/Ma...23.2419997!3e0

Gujarat road trip - Queries-mnadvitobhuj.jpg

Couple of questions:
1. Is it possible to start from Mandvi in the morning, visit Lakhpat fort and the Gurudwara and then reach Bhuj in the Evening?
2. Do we need any permits to go on this route? (I know that we need permits to go to India Bridge and Kaalo Dungar which we should get in Bhirandiyara)
Old 23rd December 2014, 22:18   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
I'm planning a trip in Gujarat.
(I know that we need permits to go to India Bridge and Kaalo Dungar which we should get in Bhirandiyara)
I don't know about the drive to Lakhpat, but as regards permits in the Khavda area
  • You DO NOT need any permits to go to Kala Dungar or upto the India Bridge. The permit you can get at Birandiara is for Dhordo.
  • If you want to cross India Bridge and go right up to the Pakistan border, which is another 70 odd kms away, then you need a permit which can be obtained at the BSF office in Kodki road in Bhuj.
Old 24th December 2014, 14:17   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

No permits needed. Very much possible. Have done it twice in past.

There is an interesting side route

http://goo.gl/WvQPge

From Dayapar using road that goes towards Zara but continuing to Haji Peer then to Nakhatrana - Virani - Nirona - Bhuj

Road between Dayapar and Haji Peer is going through some lovely old volcanic country side. Haji Peer is a pilgrim point at edge of Rann. Between Virani and Bhuj you see the highest point of the region an old volcano with a mandir on top.

Last year me and another car started from Bhuj using this route and ended up at Mandvi in the evening after visiting these places and Lakhpat. We also visited Great Bustard sanctuary near Naliya air base.

Instead of staying at Bhuj city stay at Ghara Safari resort near Bhuj airbase - www.kutchsafaribhuj.com Great lake side setting.

Last edited by sudev : 24th December 2014 at 14:22.
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2014, 15:05   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

When are you planning this trip? I am also going to do this trip in February again with some days of camp out in the Rann.
Old 24th December 2014, 15:58   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
When are you planning this trip? I am also going to do this trip in February again with some days of camp out in the Rann.
I've planned it in 3rd and 4th Week of February. Hoping the Great Rann will be dry enough.
Old 24th December 2014, 16:26   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

I'll start from Delhi on 28th February. Yes Rann should be dry.
Old 24th December 2014, 17:20   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
No permits needed. Very much possible. Have done it twice in past.

There is an interesting side route

http://goo.gl/WvQPge

From Dayapar using road that goes towards Zara but continuing to Haji Peer then to Nakhatrana - Virani - Nirona - Bhuj

Road between Dayapar and Haji Peer is going through some lovely old volcanic country side. Haji Peer is a pilgrim point at edge of Rann. Between Virani and Bhuj you see the highest point of the region an old volcano with a mandir on top.

Last year me and another car started from Bhuj using this route and ended up at Mandvi in the evening after visiting these places and Lakhpat. We also visited Great Bustard sanctuary near Naliya air base.

Instead of staying at Bhuj city stay at Ghara Safari resort near Bhuj airbase - www.kutchsafaribhuj.com Great lake side setting.
Thanks Sudev,

Now that I have got information, This is the total Kutch plan I've made up.

Gujarat road trip - Queries-plan.jpg

Please let me know your suggestions.

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 24th December 2014 at 17:22.
Old 25th December 2014, 13:37   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

I got confused as you wrote:
Quote:
I've planned it in 3rd and 4th Week of February. Hoping the Great Rann will be dry enough.
Now I understand it will be January. Still should be good. Expect lots of tourists around Dhordo as this will be long republic day weekend.

Last edited by sudev : 25th December 2014 at 13:39.
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2014, 15:33   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Sudev,

Now that I have got information, This is the total Kutch plan I've made up.

Attachment 1321661

Please let me know your suggestions.
Hey Hemanth,
That's a nice plan you have made, I am also planning to be there in Rann during the Republic day long weekend. Have you booked a place to stay yet?
Any recommendations?
Ajitsingh208 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2014, 08:43   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

@hemanth.anand Little Rann is quite a way from Bhuj. Zainabad night is more likely for Little Rann.

I think you mean White Rann (around Dhordo) on day 2.
Old 29th December 2014, 16:17   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajitsingh208 View Post
Hey Hemanth,
That's a nice plan you have made, I am also planning to be there in Rann during the Republic day long weekend. Have you booked a place to stay yet?
Any recommendations?
Near LRK, unfortunately I didn't get a booking in Desert coursers ( http://www.desertcoursers.net/ ) at Zainabad.
That was my first choice, but it seems it's full from 21st to 28th
I now have a confirmed booking with Rann Riders ( http://www.rannriders.com/ ) is Dasada instead. It is for sure expensive, but I didn't get other options close to Zainabad for my dates.
I don't know your route, but you can also take a look at Devjibhai's-http://www.littlerann.com/kooba-huts.html

In Bhuj, there are many options. That can be your centre point while you cover all other places.
There are other good ones like Sham-e-Sarhad, Devpur Home stay which you may book depending on your plan

Quote:
I got confused as you wrote:
Now I understand it will be January. Still should be good.
Yes, That's a typo from me. I'm going in January

Quote:
Expect lots of tourists around Dhordo as this will be long republic day weekend.
Just before that weekend starts, I'll be on my way back to Bangalore, so must be "relatively" better I hope.

Quote:
@hemanth.anand Little Rann is quite a way from Bhuj. Zainabad night is more likely for Little Rann.

I think you mean White Rann (around Dhordo) on day 2.
Yes, bang on. you've got great eyes; you must have been an eagle in your previous birth
Day 2: White rann around Dhordo
Day 3: Around Dholavira
Day 4: Little rann around the Wildass Sanctuary
I'm however sad that I'm not visiting there during a full moon(its almost a new moon when I visit there); I've heard full moon on the white desert is magical

Now one of my colleagues told me not to miss Gir, especially when I'm going so close to it.
Although still undecided on that, I'm not completely against some rescheduling if I can accommodate it (with more leaves from office of course).

How much time might 'Diu to Sasan Gir' drive take? and how long will we ideally need to spend in Gir?
I'm not interested in the Devaliya safari park/Interpretation zone, and will only opt for the Jungle trail Safari

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 29th December 2014 at 16:43.
Old 9th January 2015, 11:05   #73
BHPian

Bangalore - Gujarat - Bangalore

Hi guys. I am driving to Gujarat from Bangalore and back end of this month. I plan to fly my parents to either Baroda or Ahmedabad and take off from there.
Please help me with your inputs regarding the route i plan to take.

Blr-Baroda-Bhavnagar-Alang-Diu-Somnath-Porbandar-Dwarka-Bhuj-Hodka-Dholavira-Ahmedabad-Blr

Places i want to stay overnight are Dwarka and Bhuj/Hodka. The rest i am flexible with.
I have around a week from Vadodara to finish the Gujarat round trip.
Please do suggest keeping road condition in mind as i have a low GC vehicle.
I have driven till Bhavnagar before so am familiar with the road till there.
Old 9th January 2015, 11:50   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Gujarat - Bangalore

You can refer the following links for clarifications.

Gujarat road trip-
Bangalore - Pune - Ahemadabad -
Pune - Vadodara -
Mumbai - Ahemadabad-

Also, I guess D-TBHPian Paragsachania had visited most of this route last year. You can check the same in his Ertiga review.
mpksuhas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th January 2015, 12:41   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Gujarat - Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangelephant View Post
Hi guys. I am driving to Gujarat from Bangalore and back end of this month. I plan to fly my parents to either Baroda or Ahmedabad and take off from there.
Please help me with your inputs regarding the route i plan to take.
Quote:
Blr-Baroda-Bhavnagar-Alang-Diu-Somnath-Porbandar-Dwarka-Bhuj-Hodka-Dholavira-Ahmedabad-Blr
Not sure if you have a specific reason to deviate from Baroda towards Bhavnagar/Alang and then approach the Somnath and Porbandar (Visit to Alang Ship Breaking Yard and buy a lot of stuff at throw away prices??)

If not, then you can simply take NE1 from Baroda and exit onto SPP Rind road and take Bagodara - Limdi - Chotila - Rajkot - Gondal - Junagarh - Somnath.

Of this entire route, Junagarh-Somnath would be in bad shape and considering a low GC Car, I am apprehensive of this option. So may be, you are better off with the Bhavnagar approach taking the Coastal Highway route itself.

Somnath - Porbandar - Dwarka - Jamnagar - Smakhyali - Bhuj is in good condition.

Quote:
Places i want to stay overnight are Dwarka and Bhuj/Hodka. The rest i am flexible with.
At Dwarka, look for accommodation at Kokila Dhiraj Dham
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed