Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2016, 08:56   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Delhi Jamnagar Route Query

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
- How much is the detour? I dont see much in Google.
More than the detour in terms of Kilometers it saves a lot of time:
  • Bypassing Udaipur via the slow 2 lane clogged bypass for Himmatnagar
  • Himmatnagar - Ahmedabad
  • Ahmedabad Ring Road - Bavla (A regular traffic area due to Industries)

If one takes the Udaipur - Palanpur option, you need not even enter Udaipur for this or bypass. Instead, much before the bypass you turn right onto the beautiful 4 lane to Palanpur via Abu Road. A good time saver indeed.

Quote:
But if its the time due to traffic, then I dont know.
Exactly what I mentioned above. There are 2 major traffic prone spots.

Quote:
Can the non 4-lane sections be done in on the same day?
Depends on where was the previous break-point. If one had stayed in Udaipur and still takes the Palanpur option, its again doable in a day without any hassle - Say 8-9 Hours with breaks.

Quote:
In case OP needs a break, which is the best possible location?
- Or break at Udaipur if needed?
Right, Udaipur it is.

Between Ahmedabad and Palanpur option, the latter offers peace completely as it doesn't take you through very thick corridors and roads are all fantastic, including some lovely 4 lanes and very less 2 lanes.
  • Udaipur - Abu Road - Palanpur - Radhanapur - Samkhiyali = 4 Lane
  • Samkhiyali - Khirai = 4 Lane
  • Khirai - Merger with Jamnagar Rakjot Road = 2 Lane (105 Kms)
  • Jamnagar Rakjot Road - Jamnagar City = 4 Lane 15 Kms

As you notice, its 100 kms of 2 lane and again good roads too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
If you are new in this area better to do this stretch in Daytime, not that roads are unsafe but for directions, though my information is 2-3-year-old for this particular 2 lane stretch.
Roads are good even now Turbanator and with maps to rescue, its easier to reach Jamnagar. Gannu did that only few months back on his way to Kutch from Jamanagar.

Here is that post : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post3933597

Common route for him being Jamnagar - Samakhyali which one will pass even when driving from Jaipur taking the Palanpur road.

The only negative (should I really say that??) is that these 100 kms (at least till you merge with Jamnagar - Rajkot 4 lane) has less facilities but then it is only 2 hours of drive.

Last edited by paragsachania : 8th November 2016 at 09:10.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2016, 14:07   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Gujarat road trip - Queries

Bangalore - Gujarat road trip query

Day1 & Day2: Bangalore Ahmedabad

Day3- MON:
I guess this would be the most hectic day in the trip.
Ahmedabad 06:00 AM start
Visit Modhera Sun Temple
Rani Ki Vav Patan - Finish visitng both these places before 12:00 PM and start to Dholavira.

Reach Dholavira by ~3.30 PM, finish visiting the ruins by around 06:00 PM and start to Bhuj.

Reach Bhuj by 10:00 PM

Query: Since this would be a Monday, does anyone know if the ruins will be open. Usually ASI sites have a Monday holiday policy.

Day4- TUE:
Bhuj- Lakpat - Narayan Sarovar- Mandvi - Bhuj

Day5- WED:
Bhuj - Dhordo - Stay at Shaam E Sarhad. Afternoon visit Kutch festival.

Day6 - THU:
Bhuj - Vagakot border.

Visit Kaladungar and other attractions enroute.

Day7: FRI:
Bhuj - Vadodara. Overnight stay at Vadodara.

Day8: Sat:
Start from Vadodara ~06:00 AM, reach Mumbai by noon. Sightseeing in Mumbai and stay at Mumbai for night.

Day9: Sun:

Start from Mumbai ~04:00 AM. Reach Bangalore by late evening.

I am short of leaves, hence wont be able to extend stay for more than above mentioned days.

Would like to get information on the feasiblity of Day3. I know it will be bit stressful, however is the mentioned timeline feasible?

Any other suggestions?

Also, would like to visit Vagakot border. I understand that it requires getting approval from BSF Bhuj office. I have read that it takes few days to get the same. Given the tight schedule we are in, does anyone know if any hotel guys or agents will help in arranging the same?
Old 24th November 2016, 15:26   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Reach Dholavira by ~3.30 PM, finish visiting the ruins by around 06:00 PM and start to Bhuj.
This one looks too ambitious to me. From Rani Ka Vav you are actually doing a distance of almost 500 kms to Bhuj via Dholavira.

Dholavira itself will take at least 4 hours from Rani Ka Vav and if you manage to finish your sight seeing by dusk you should be lucky as reaching Bhuj city is not at all a problem.

Also remember this - During Dec, days are indeed shorter in Gujarat too as I have noticed that around 0530-0600 it would not be a food time to see and take photos too. I hope you get lucky there.

Quote:
Query: Since this would be a Monday, does anyone know if the ruins will be open. Usually ASI sites have a Monday holiday policy.
I am not really sure on this but will get back to you asking one of my folks here who stays closer. I remember we visiting this on a weekday but unable to recall whether it was a Monday.

I understand you have less leaves but you could have possible extended this by a day and spent time around Ahmedabad as well - Sabarmati Ashram, The River Front, Akshardham Temple, Adalaj Stepwell would have been some nice places to cover.

Most importantly, on Day 3, since you would head towards Rani Ka Vav, including the Sun Temple at Modhera would have been a wonderful idea too.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2016, 08:42   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

Dholavira and Bhuj same day is problematic unless you are long distance driving fiend.

The shorter routes exits but are generally mush and slush that is impassable except in peak summers.

One is from Khavda - Adhav - Dholavira as can be seen on this link https://goo.gl/maps/pNga6GrCnAy
Tanveer (tsk1979) tried it a few years back. Check his travelouge.

The other is via Bachau Chobari Ekal Mata Mandir (https://goo.gl/maps/7vkpnGKL1rK2) approaching Dholavira from South. I tried it but the second vehicle with me (a Scorpio 4wd) got stuck within a kilometre. Never did attempt after that though it seemed feasible. In the end after recovery had great "langaar" meal at the mandir. You can see the "road" in this sat view from Google Maps https://goo.gl/maps/C41W9RXHh8t

Only the following should be used for this time of the year - approaching from East
https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/Dh...4!2d23.2419997

Last edited by sudev : 25th November 2016 at 08:50.
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2016, 13:22   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
This one looks too ambitious to me. From Rani Ka Vav you are actually doing a distance of almost 500 kms to Bhuj via Dholavira.
Thanks.
I have changed the plan for Day2 based on yours and Sudev's comments.
Now I am planning of driving to Modhera directly from Vapi and return to Ahmedabad on day2. Will leave the car at hotel and do the local sightseeing in a taxi (Riverfront, Sabarmati Ashram). This will help in not having two back to back long drive days. With an early morning start from Vapi, I hope to be back at Ahmedabad by around 04:00 after visiting Modhera.

This way, I plan to drive directly to Dholavira on Day3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Dholavira and Bhuj same day is problematic unless you are long distance driving fiend.
The shorter routes exits but are generally mush and slush that is impassable except in peak summers.
Thanks for the reply.
Yes, I will be dropping the idea of doing both Dholavira and Bhuj on same day starting from Ahmedabad.

I too had seen similar reviews in a blog regarding the direct route from Aadhav to Dholavira. I will be sticking to highway itself for the drive.

Also, heard that there is a new road which is constructed through Rann connecting these two places. However, I guess it is still not open yet from what you mention.

You can see the part constructed road in satellite view here.
Old 3rd December 2016, 12:51   #111
BHPian

Hello Travelers, I am too leaving for GJ road trip on 08 Dec and plan is like this -

Route -> Bangalore - Surat - Sasan Gir- Dwarka - Bhuj - Dhordo+local sight seeing - Dholavira - Patan - Modhera - Surat - Bangalore.

Duration -> 08 Dec to 19 Dec.

Car - XUV W8 AWD.

What I am particularly interested in this image I have in my mind where I am driving in white desert on the sand and there is nothing but infinite blurred horizon between the land and sky (like Mad Max ) ).

1. Where will I find this place to drive on say 50 - 100 kms? (destinations don't matter)

2. Little Rann also has similar route to drive on between any pair of destinations? I am smitten with Vardhan.Harsh's route through LRK
Old 3rd December 2016, 17:57   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniket6 View Post
Hello Travelers, I am too leaving for GJ road trip on 08 Dec and plan is like this -
Route -> Bangalore - Surat - Sasan Gir- Dwarka - Bhuj - Dhordo+local sight seeing - Dholavira - Patan - Modhera - Surat - Bangalore.
I have travelled to all the places you have mentioned, but in different road trips. I think it is a hectic schedule as you are covering both Saurashtra (Gir-Dwarka) and Kutch. Rather you can do only Kutch.

Bglr-Surat-Patan+Modhera-Dasada(LRK)-Dholavira-Dhordo-Bhuj+Narayan Sarovar+Lakhpat-Surat-Bglr

You should also check out Devpur Homestay near Bhuj. We had stayed couple of days and done Narayan Sarovar and Lakhpat from there. We had taken the car beyond Dhordo near the White Rann but there was a separating sand wall between the regular desert and White Rann so I am not sure that the car can actually go on White Rann. Also when we went there was water on White Rann so could not even walk much on it. However it was beautiful.

The road from Rapar to Dholavira is beautiful, with desert on both sides. We had stayed in the pathetic Toral Guest House of GTDC in Dholavira as there was no other alternative. But the trip to fossil park early next morning and the ruins made up for everything. If you reach Dholavira in evening go to the site and meet the guides (there are just 2) and discuss about next day trip.

We had stayed in Dasada and had gone on the desert safari in the jeep arranged by the hotel. It was like you want but only that LRK is very dry and parched. I am not sure if personal vehicle is allowed inside. If interested in History, you can also check out Lothal on the way back. Kutch is beautiful and the roads are a pleasure to drive, and very isolated too. But very safe.

Last edited by ampere : 3rd December 2016 at 19:13. Reason: Edited quoted post
jesrani is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2016, 12:30   #113
BHPian

Hello friends,

I am also planning a road trip from Bangalore to Gujarat and My itinerary is as follows. Please let me know your suggestions. Is it too hectic and if I need to cut down or missed an important place.I have kept a day as buffer.

I could not get safari at Gir hence skipping it. Will go to Gir Separately later when I can book at CM Gir. LRK comes at the end as I could not get accommodation on my preferred dates.

D1: Bangalore-Pune (should reach pune by 5:00 PM)
D2: Pune-Ahmedabad (should reach by 7 - 8 pm)
D3: Another day in Ahmedabad (Adlaj step well, Sabarmati ashram, river front)
D4: Ahmedabad-Mandvi (palace and beach)
D5: Mandvi-Bhuj (Bhuj, Hodka, dhordo, Kalo Dungar, India Gate)
D6: Bhuj-Dwaraka-Porbander (should reach dwarka by lunch time - will cover Dwarka and Bet dwarka both)
D7: Porbander-Somnath-Junagadh-Rajkot ( Keerti mandir, somanath temple, junagad fort, mohabbat maqbara)
D8: Rajkot-Lothal-Patdi (LRoK) (Lothal + LRoK safari)
D9: Patdi - Modhera - patan - Vadodara
D10/D11: Back to BLR
Old 9th December 2016, 13:04   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pach View Post
Is it too hectic and if I need to cut down or missed an important place.I have kept a day as buffer.
Quote:
D1: Bangalore-Pune (should reach pune by 5:00 PM)
Doable
Quote:
D2: Pune-Ahmedabad (should reach by 7 - 8 pm)
Doable
Quote:
Doable
Quote:
D4: Ahmedabad-Mandvi (palace and beach)
Start Early
Quote:
D5: Mandvi-Bhuj (Bhuj, Hodka, dhordo, Kalo Dungar, India Gate)
Start Early
Quote:
D6: Bhuj-Dwaraka-Porbander (should reach dwarka by lunch time - will cover Dwarka and Bet dwarka both)
This is tight unless you want to reach Porbandar and settle down. Else, Dwarka + Bet Dwarka - Nageshwar Jyotirling itself will take time.

Quote:
D7: Porbander-Somnath-Junagadh-Rajkot ( Keerti mandir, somanath temple, junagad fort, mohabbat maqbara)
You can start from Porbandar only around noon, reach Somnath by 3, wrap up here by 4:30/5:00PM max, reach Junagarh beyond Dusk. This is certainly tight.

You really cannot do any sight seeing in Junagadh then and will only have to pass this and halt at Rajkot for the night.

Quote:
D8: Rajkot-Lothal-Patdi (LRoK) (Lothal + LRoK safari)
Provided you make an early start.

Quote:
D9: Patdi - Modhera - patan - Vadodara
Doable.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2016, 15:13   #115
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Plan to visit Adalaj by noon so that you can head to Akshar Dham in the evening/night. Definitely worth it. Their water show is also nice.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2016, 16:51   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Doable

This is tight unless you want to reach Porbandar and settle down. Else, Dwarka + Bet Dwarka - Nageshwar Jyotirling itself will take time.

You can start from Porbandar only around noon, reach Somnath by 3, wrap up here by 4:30/5:00PM max, reach Junagarh beyond Dusk. This is certainly tight.

You really cannot do any sight seeing in Junagadh then and will only have to pass this and halt at Rajkot for the night.
Thanks for your inputs.

Will try to use the buffer day on D6.

D6 : Spend some more time at Bhuj; Start in the afternoon and halt at Jamnagar.

Next day - D7- start early - cover Dwarka + Bet Dwarka - Nageshwar Jyotirling and if possible porbander and halt at porbander.

D8: Start early from Porbander, cover somanath, Junagad and halt at Rajkot.
Old 9th December 2016, 16:53   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Plan to visit Adalaj by noon so that you can head to Akshar Dham in the evening/night. Definitely worth it. Their water show is also nice.
Thanks Ampere. Will plan accordingly. how about Siddhi Sayeed mosque.. can I cover that also in a day?
Old 9th December 2016, 17:16   #118
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks Ampere. Will plan accordingly. how about Siddhi Sayeed mosque.. can I cover that also in a day?
If you have the full day, start in the morning go around AMD (ashram, waterfront, Hathi singh temple etc). Post lunch about 2/3 be at Adalaj and then spend the evening at Akshar Dham. Its quite crowded usually and hence you need to be careful.
Old 15th December 2016, 18:33   #119
BHPian

I am already in Dhordo homestay today and will leave for Dholavira tomorrow morning. From there, is there road that runs west to east through the wild ass sanctuary and exits somewhere near Patdi?
Also, are there any homestays or safaris operating on western side of the sanctuary? All the ones I was able to check are on eastern side, like desert coursers, etc. From what I can make out from G maps is that I have to travel around the sanctuary west to east thru the highway and again go for safari from near patdi, zainabad.
Would really appreciate any pointers.

Last edited by Aniket6 : 15th December 2016 at 18:38.
Old 18th December 2016, 16:45   #120
Senior - BHPian

So, I have finalized the itinerary and here is a snapshot of the same.
Thanks for your suggestions, folks.
Hoping for good memories
Attached Thumbnails
Gujarat road trip - Queries-trip-planner_v2.png  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks