Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2013, 13:29   #46
Senior - BHPian

re: Gujarat road trip - Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by windiesel View Post
I wasn’t getting accommodation in Gir/Dwarka, ditched the plan for now.
For Dwarka : If you are not looking for luxury, then Hotel Tulsi is a good option. Clean and basic 02892-235232/09427257257
Old 29th December 2013, 14:38   #47
Senior - BHPian

Good plan, workable overall. My comments in Bold.

Quote:
Hi, Ramky bhai, since I wasn’t getting accommodation in Gir/Dwarka, ditched the plan for now. Instead, planning a trip to goa as under:
01 Jan14 – Delhi(0600) to Udaipur(1700?) (if I can make it till Rishabdeo, even better) If you start early by 4-5 AM, you'd make Delhi Jaipur run in under 4 hours, starting at 6 AM, you'd probably do Udaipur around 6-7 PM. If you're OK with it, you can stretch it to Rishebdeo.
2 Jan 0600- Udaipur(0600) to Nashik(1800?) (planning to leave NH8 at shamlaji and go via saputara (drive thru)
You can do this easily.
3-4 at Nasik (DRDO guest house) visits to Panchvati, Trimbakeswar, School of Artillery (my alma mater)
Depends on the day at Trimb, some days you'd have rush, queue for about 4-5 hours can happen. If you're lucky, it can finish all in 30 minutes. Depending on the crowd there, workable.
5 Jan- Nashik(0600) to Navi Mumbai(1500?) (via Wilson Dam at Bhandardara) OK
06 Jan – At friends place Navi Mumbai OK
07 Jan- Mumbai(0800)-Goa(1800) (via Ratnagiri, Chiplun route) OK
08-10 - Jan in Goa OK, do the bookings there before starting.
11 Jan- Goa – MumbaiOK
12 Jan – Mumbai – Chittorgarh OK
13 Jan- Chittorgarh -Delhi OK
How does the above look to you? Suggestions regarding route welcome
Concerns- Do they check the car while entering Gujarat state? Worried, since I’ll be carrying some Holy Spirit in the car (defence issue, being an ex army officer) and I don’t want a ruckus being with family. Checking of private cars not seen, specially if there are families. It's a calculated risk you have to take.

Alternately, I can take Neemuch Ratlam (NH3) route to nashik but will miss driving through Saputara, plus the road is broken they say near Neemuch for about 50 kms.
For your plan, the Udaipur route is perfect.
Old 29th December 2013, 18:57   #48
BHPian

Quote:
01 Jan14 – Delhi(0600) to Udaipur(1700?) (if I can make it till Rishabdeo, even better).
I am a sedate driver usually drive between 80-100 kmph and have done Udaipur-Jaipur many a times in 6-7 hrs. Rishabdeo is another 1 hr drive from Udaipur. So I think you can make it upto Rishabdeo.
Quote:
2 Jan 0600- Udaipur(0600) to Nashik(1800?) (planning to leave NH8 at shamlaji and go via saputara (drive thru).
From Shamlaji you can go via Modasa-Lunawada-Godhra-Halol-Vadodra Highway. The road is 4 laned and in good condition and you can avoid traffic that is encountered between Chiloda and entry point of Ahmedabad-Vadodra Expressway. Udaipur-Kamrej (Surat) will take 7 hrs, Kamrej-Saputara 3hrs, Saputara-Nashik (3hrs.) It would be around 12-13 hrs drive from Udaipur to Nashik.
If you like you can visit Pavagarh after Halol and can take brake on 2 Jan at Kamrej. At Kamrej you can stay at Maha Videh Dham. The Temple premises is just after the Kamrej overbridge on Left Hand Side of highway and a very good place to relax.
On 3 Jan from Kamrej you can proceed to Saputara via Kadroda-Bardoli. Road upto Saputara is in excellent condition, the scenic beauty of Saputara may tempt you to stop on route, . From Saputara for 15 kms road has potholes and patchworks, therafter till Nashik-Trimbakeshwar road is good.
Quote:
3-4 at Nasik (DRDO guest house) visits to Panchvati, Trimbakeswar, School of Artillery (my alma mater).
At Trimbakeshwar paid Darshan facility (Rs. 200 per person) is available right at the entrance of Temple. So if there is much crowd you can avail this facility and can do Darshan in 15 minutes.
Quote:
Concerns- Do they check the car while entering Gujarat state? Worried, since I’ll be carrying some Holy Spirit in the car (defence issue, being an ex army officer) and I don’t want a ruckus being with family.
When driving through Gujarat, it is advisable to paste yellow tape vertically on right side of Right Hand Side headlamp, valid PUC token on windscreen. and to wear seat belt to avoid unnecessary stoppage by cops. Even if cops stops you just show your army officer id card, they will let you go without any checking.

Last edited by Topolino : 29th December 2013 at 19:04.
Old 30th December 2013, 00:59   #49
BHPian

Hi,

am planning a trip to the kutch area with some friends in January. have about 8 - 10 days.
basic idea is to travel in the desert. want to have some solitude and dont want tourist rush. no luxuries needed.
have some questions on my mind.

1) When will be the best time? We are planning ~10 Jan to 17 Jan ? should we delay it a bit? what will the weather be like.. very cold, cold, warm, etc?

2) we plan to do a road trip on rented bikes. where can we rent bikes ? ahmedabad or a little further towards the desert or bhuj. what is approx. cost per day.

3) Are we allowed to set up our own tent anywhere in the desert or some permissions are required, and is it safe/recommended ?

4) Dont have any fixed plans but would like to see a few coastal places like india bridge or kot lakhpat etc. please suggest a rough itinerary with maybe 4-5 hours of riding per day.

thanks for all the help.

Last edited by guptavis : 30th December 2013 at 01:01.
Old 30th December 2013, 16:58   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
For Dwarka : If you are not looking for luxury, then Hotel Tulsi is a good option. Clean and basic 02892-235232/09427257257
Thanks Mallumowgli bhai, the Dwarka plan is on back burner for now. I'll make another attempt this summer and I'll check out Tulsi then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
Good plan, workable overall. My comments in Bold.

For your plan, the Udaipur route is perfect.
Thanks Ramkya bhai, now that you have vetted the plan, I am confident of shooting off on 01Jan!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topolino View Post
I am a sedate driver usually drive between 80-100 kmph and have done Udaipur-Jaipur many a times in 6-7 hrs. Rishabdeo is another 1 hr drive from Udaipur. So I think you can make it upto Rishabdeo.

From Shamlaji you can go via Modasa-Lunawada-Godhra-Halol-Vadodra Highway. The road is 4 laned and in good condition and you can avoid traffic that is encountered between Chiloda and entry point of Ahmedabad-Vadodra Expressway. Udaipur-Kamrej (Surat) will take 7 hrs, Kamrej-Saputara 3hrs, Saputara-Nashik (3hrs.) It would be around 12-13 hrs drive from Udaipur to Nashik.
If you like you can visit Pavagarh after Halol and can take brake on 2 Jan at Kamrej. At Kamrej you can stay at Maha Videh Dham. The Temple premises is just after the Kamrej overbridge on Left Hand Side of highway and a very good place to relax.
On 3 Jan from Kamrej you can proceed to Saputara via Kadroda-Bardoli. Road upto Saputara is in excellent condition, the scenic beauty of Saputara may tempt you to stop on route, . From Saputara for 15 kms road has potholes and patchworks, therafter till Nashik-Trimbakeshwar road is good.

At Trimbakeshwar paid Darshan facility (Rs. 200 per person) is available right at the entrance of Temple. So if there is much crowd you can avail this facility and can do Darshan in 15 minutes.

When driving through Gujarat, it is advisable to paste yellow tape vertically on right side of Right Hand Side headlamp, valid PUC token on windscreen. and to wear seat belt to avoid unnecessary stoppage by cops. Even if cops stops you just show your army officer id card, they will let you go without any checking.
Thanks Topolino for a detailed description . This is just what I had in mind. BTW what do you think of branching off at Chittorgarh and proceeding to Nashik via Ratlam-Lebad-Manpur-Dhule-Malegaon. Google says its about 100 km shorter than the Gujarat route + no Gujarat cops (sigh of relief!!).
Old 31st December 2013, 09:27   #51
BHPian

Quote:
BTW what do you think of branching off at Chittorgarh and proceeding to Nashik via Ratlam-Lebad-Manpur-Dhule-Malegaon. Google says its about 100 km shorter than the Gujarat route + no Gujarat cops (sigh of relief!!).
In my opinion it is a better option. The road via Ratlam-Malegaon is four laned and in good condition. In case you have to delay start due to cold/fog, you can halt at Chittorgarh and next day proceed for Nashik. Driving time is also less, as heavy traffic at Narmada Bridge (Bharuch), traffic on Kadroda-Bardoli section and Ghat road between Vanasda-Saputara Hill is avoided.
Old 31st December 2013, 09:56   #52
Senior - BHPian

Dear Columbus

Since you are making the trip to Somnath/Gir, suggest you do not miss the very beautiful Diu.

From Somnath, Diu will be approx. 90 kms.

The route ideally would be:

Diu-----> Somnath-----> Gir(via Tulsishyam).

Once you drive through Tulsishyam, you are going through the Gir Forests and iunvariably you will get to see loads of Chital deer/ Sambhars and an ocassional black buck grazing on the roads

Also, dont miss out on the beautiful Tulsishyam temple along with the hot water "kund" .

Stay for a while near the kund, dip your legs and soak in the relaxing and peaceful atmosphere.

See all your tiredness vanish in thin air!!

Have a safe trip....
Old 1st January 2014, 21:56   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topolino View Post
In my opinion it is a better option. The road via Ratlam-Malegaon is four laned and in good condition. In case you have to delay start due to cold/fog, you can halt at Chittorgarh and next day proceed for Nashik. Driving time is also less, as heavy traffic at Narmada Bridge (Bharuch), traffic on Kadroda-Bardoli section and Ghat road between Vanasda-Saputara Hill is avoided.
Thanks Topolino, tomorrow morning we kick off, your advise tilts the case in favour the Ratlam - Manpur route,... taking this one only, will post after end of journey, thanks.
Old 11th April 2014, 23:15   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus View Post
So during return took a different route
Overall a fantastic drive. Thanks to Ramky for constantly guiding us through A'bad traffic .

Hi I am planning to do a Ahmedabad - Bhopal trip next week in Yeti and saw your post regarding this route. How is the route from Vadodara to Indore, is it four lane? Also please let me know the traffic situation you faced on this route. I also heard that Ahmedabad - Indore via Dhar four lane is complete, does anyone have an update?
Old 13th April 2014, 15:11   #55
BHPian

Hi i covered Indore to Surat by bus via Baroda by bus in december 2013.... and road conditions were good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_i View Post
Hi I am planning to do a Ahmedabad - Bhopal trip next week in Yeti and saw your post regarding this route. How is the route from Vadodara to Indore, is it four lane? Also please let me know the traffic situation you faced on this route. I also heard that Ahmedabad - Indore via Dhar four lane is complete, does anyone have an update?
Old 3rd August 2014, 13:16   #56
BHPian

Hi; based on your suggestion in this thread for Hotel Grand Daksh in Veraval; I decided to try this hotel during my last visit to Somnath. Thanks to you; I made a right choice. This is a good, well maintained budgeted hotel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
Another new option in Veraval is Hotel Daksh. Its a new hotel with decent rooms and food ( veg only). Its on the outskirts of Veraval. Hotel Lord's Inn still remains miles ahead of the other hotels in Veraval/Somnath.
ajay4060 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2014, 17:06   #57
BHPian

Gujarat and Diu road trip query

Hi! Guys

Amithabh Bachhan's punch line " Kuch din to guzariye Guajart mein " is taking us to the state for second time. Need you help in route planning. The ride will be a self driven Toyota Fortuner 4x4. Need your help on route conditions and everything. Here is the itinerary

Day 1 25th Dec - Bhopal to Nal sarovar ( I am starting alone. Daughter has an exam on 26th hence wife and daughter will board evening train on 26th and will pick them on 27th morning from Anand )

Day 2 26th Dec - Nal Sarovar

Day 3 27th Dec Pick up family from Anand/Nadiad railway station and
drive to Diu ( Hotel Hoka resort booked for 3 nights)

Day 4 28th Dec Diu

Day 5 29th Dec Diu

Day 6 30th Dec Diu to Gir via Somnath ( Hotel in Gir booked )

Day 7 31 Dec Gir 9:00 AM Safari (booked) and after lunch proceed to Jamnagar (Stay at friend's place )

Day 8 1st Jan Jamnagar ( Narara island sea walk and Khijadiya bird sanctuary )

Day 9 2nd Jan Jamnagar to Little Rann of Kutch ( Booked bhavna farms )

Day 10 3rd Jan Little Rann of kutch

Day 11 4th Jan LRK to Bhopal

Now the Qs

1. As i am single on Day 1 and 2 whats the best option to stay ? I tried the forest rest house at Nal sarovar but they are not allowing night stay. There is another pricy option of green mango resorts near the lake.

2. Considering that i have to pick up my family at 6:30 in the morning from Anand / Nadiad where should i stay ? If i stay at Nal Sarovar the route to Anand goes via Ahemdabad outer ring road - Abad Vadodara express way - Anand ? How much time if i start at 5 AM from Naal Sarovar ?
2a. Any hotel recommendation for Anand. Clean rooms, safe parking etc . Nothing fancy

3. From Anand to Diu the route suggested by hotel guy is Anand - Vataman Chowkdi..Fedra (turn left here).. Dhanduka. Vallabhipur…Amreli (byepass)..Chalala..Khamba…Bediya (a small village where you take a right)…Dhokadva (turn left for Una here) ..Una..Diu.
Is the above route Ok. Any suggestion on breakfast and lunch options on this route ??

4. Some dos and donts for Diu. I have gone through some logs. Any suggestion appreciated.

5. Does Somnath has parking area for vehicles ? Are cameras allowed inside ? If not then are they deposited in lockers ?

6. Diu to Somnath the route suggested by gmaps is Diu - Dolasa - Kodinar - Prachi - Somnath. There is another route from Kodinar via Sutrapada which appears to be a coastal route. Which one to take ? And how nuch time it will take ?

7. The route for Gir to Jamnagar as suggested by gmaps is Gir - Dhari - Jetpur - Kalavad - Jamnagar. Is this route correct ? How is the road conditions ? fascilities enroute ? Time required ?

8. For narara sea walk in Jamnagar i guess the best person to contact is Mr Mushtaq from hotel president ??

9. From Jamnagar to Little Rann of Kutch the route suggested by Gmaps is Jamnagar - Dhrol - Morbi - Halvad - Dhargadhra - Bajana - patdi (LRK). Again road conditions and time required.

Have more Qs but will come later.

Thanks
Old 10th December 2014, 23:50   #58
BHPian

Re: Gujarat and Diu road trip query

Columbus
Hi
I have done some parts. Give me a couple of days and I will trace my route that I took from Bombay Halvad Mandvi Bhuj Do u Bhavnagar etc.
18 years back stayed at hotel President in Nadiad. Quite good. At that time I took a train so not sure if they have a parking place. AFAIK Nadiad is a bigger place than Anand. So better you stay there.
Regards
Old 22nd December 2014, 11:19   #59
BHPian

Hi,
I am also planning to visit the Rann of Kutch during the 26th Jan long weekend.
Here's the rough plan,
Jan 23rd - Leave from Pune in evening and reach Ahemdabad by Midnight.
Jan 24th- Explore the Rann Utsav
Jan 25th- Go to Lakhpat, Narayan Sarovar
jan 26th - Visit Dholavira

The plan looks somewhat like,
https://goo.gl/maps/CMhdz

Am i missing a must visit place?

Also, have still not figured out the accomodation part.
We need a nice, clean Budget Hotel in Ahemdabad to rest for a night.
Then we are planning to spend a night at Rann Utsav.
Any idea on best budget accomodation at Rann Utsav if there really is something present. Google only throws up expensive options.

Also, A place to stay in Bhuj, which is also comfortable and budget friendly.

And the other important thing, Permits!!
From what I have understood, for Lakhpat, Dhordo, Kala Dungar it will be made at Bhuj. Is there any agent who can keep these ready when we arrive in Bhuj so that we don't loose time in scrambling for the permits. Otherwise how long does it take normally?

India Bridge - How does one get a permit for this.?

Can someone please help me out on the above points.
Old 22nd December 2014, 15:43   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajitsingh208 View Post
And the other important thing, Permits!!
From what I have understood, for Lakhpat, Dhordo, Kala Dungar it will be made at Bhuj. Is there any agent who can keep these ready when we arrive in Bhuj so that we don't loose time in scrambling for the permits. Otherwise how long does it take normally?
India Bridge - How does one get a permit for this.?
I guess permits are not required to be collected from Bhuj for the places mentioned above. My understanding is this -

Kala Dungar, Rann and up to India Bridge - Permits to be procured directly from Police check post near Khavda. Id proof and vehicle photo copies required.

If you require to drive past India Bridge (towards India Pak border - Vigakot ) - Permits to be procured from Bhuj BSF office. This will have to be atleast a day in advance since you may not be able to cover the border after having a late start from Bhuj.
However, on TBHP I have seen posts which mentions about getting permits one of two days in advance, in Tripadvisor there are reports of permits required to be received one week in advance.

Lakhpat - Again permits not required.

This is my understanding based on search I did for my Kutch trip plan which did not work out for other reasons
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks