Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2015, 12:54   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Gujarat - Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangelephant View Post
Blr-Baroda-Bhavnagar-Alang-Diu-Somnath-Porbandar-Dwarka-Bhuj-Hodka-Dholavira-Ahmedabad-Blr
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
If not, then you can simply take NE1 from Baroda and exit onto SPP Rind road and take Bagodara - Limdi - Chotila - Rajkot - Gondal - Junagarh - Somnath.

Of this entire route, Junagarh-Somnath would be in bad shape and considering a low GC Car, I am apprehensive of this option.
Somnath - Porbandar - Dwarka - Jamnagar - Smakhyali - Bhuj is in good condition.
paragsachania is right. If you don't have any work at Bhavnagar, take the Bagodara - Limbdi - Chotila - Rajkot - Gondal - Junagadh - Somnath route. I had been in this route just two weeks back. Bagodara - Gondal - Jetpur is in excellent condition. Four lane work is in progress between Jetpur - Junagadh but nothing to worry about. I then went to Somnath through Sasan Gir so not aware of the condition between Junagadh - Somnath. It's manageable according to locals.

Somnath - Porbandar - Dwarka stretch is great. Few places between Dwarka - Jamnagar is being widened but your low GC car won't face any issues anywhere.
guyfrmblr is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th January 2015, 13:01   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Of this entire route, Junagarh-Somnath would be in bad shape and considering a low GC Car, I am apprehensive of this option. So may be, you are better off with the Bhavnagar approach taking the Coastal Highway route itself.
Junagadh to Somnath(~88 kms) and vice versa can be done via two routes :
1. Main Highway SH 31/NH8D -> Junagadh-Vanthli-Keshod-Veraval-Somnath
2. Internal Roads through Sasan Gir SH26 -> Junagadh-Mendarda-Sasan-Talala-Veraval-Somnath

In both cases, take the Veraval bye pass to avoid getting into Veraval town.

Route No.1 was in pitiful condition an year ago an it is not recommended. If you want to test rattles in your vehicle, this is the route. In the time I used to call Veraval home, this route would make my i20 go crazy with rattles.
Route No.2 has smaller roads and goes through Sasan Gir. Roads are smaller but it has less traffic and you reach much quicker at your destination than Route 1. If you are lucky you might catch a glimpse of some wild animals on the road side.Avoid travelling after 6 PM on this road. I believe it gets closed for traffic in Sasan area, or atleast used to get closed.

While going from Somnath to Porbandar, the road from Veraval upto Gadu(where you take a left to head towards Mangrol and Porbandar, heading straight will take you to Junagadh-Rajkot-Ahmedabad and so on) might be bad shape.

Try visiting Diu as well.

Last edited by skanchan95 : 9th January 2015 at 13:08.
skanchan95 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 9th January 2015, 13:38   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
2. Internal Roads through Sasan Gir SH26 -> Junagadh-Mendarda-Sasan-Talala-Veraval-Somnath
This is the exact route I took although my destination was Talala and back to my base Rajkot last year.

Junagadh-Medarda-Sasan- Talala was a mixed bag with good, Bad and some very bad stretches.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2015, 13:58   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
Junagadh to Somnath(~88 kms) and vice versa can be done via two routes :
I exactly took this route to Somnath from Junagadh with a slight change. We got to know that Junagadh - Mendarda is not so good hence took the SH-30 from Junagadh and took a right at Khadiya to reach Mendarda. This route is great. Mendarda - Sasan Gir National park entrance is in good condition. The roads inside National Park is not good at many places with frequent spped breakers. Again Sasan - Veraval is great.

Quote:
Route No.2 has smaller roads and goes through Sasan Gir. Roads are smaller but it has less traffic and you reach much quicker at your destination than Route 1. If you are lucky you might catch a glimpse of some wild animals on the road side.Avoid travelling after 6 PM on this road. I believe it gets closed for traffic in Sasan area, or atleast used to get closed.
I didn't see any restriction of timings for SH-26 inside Gir. However the road which goes to Devaliya park (SH-100A) will be closed at 6 PM.

Quote:
While going from Somnath to Porbandar, the road from Veraval upto Gadu(where you take a left to head towards Mangrol and Porbandar, heading straight will take you to Junagadh-Rajkot-Ahmedabad and so on) might be bad shape.
Four lane work is in progress between Veraval - Gadu. One side of the highway is complete and its in good condition. However many flyovers are being built in Veraval bye-pass and there are some horrible stretches here.
guyfrmblr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2015, 14:11   #80
BHPian

Particularly wanted to know the road condition between Bhavnagar and Dwarka.
If anybody could give some insights, much appreciated!
I need to go from Bhavnagar for 2 reasons, my wifes grand parents live near Palitana and i need to drop off some stuff with them, and the second being my dad wants to visit Alang. So i guess the coastal route is the option to take.
Not too keen on Gir and Junagadh. Maybe another time!
Thanks to all for the inputs!

Last edited by orangelephant : 9th January 2015 at 14:18.
Old 9th January 2015, 16:52   #81
BHPian

re: Gujarat road trip - Queries

Hi,

So My plan is also almost finalized, Looks like we'll leave from Pune on 23rd evening and we need to be back in Pune by 26th midnight. We are leaving in 2 cars, Safari & Swift. I hope the roads around Bhuj are smooth.

So, we practically have 24th half day, 25th full day & 26th half day to explore Rann.

I really need some help on this.
So far i have thought of,
24th- Explore Bhuj and head to Kala Dungar for the Sunset and then go to Dhordo to see local events at tent city, then come back to Bhuj to sleep for the night.
25th- leave early, visit Dholavira , be back by 3-4pm, then head to Lakhpat. (Is this possbile). Else Explore Bhuj.
Then in the night visit the Tent city again if there's something interesting. (This will be based on our experience the previous night.)
26th- If Lakhpat is not done then visit lakhpat, else just relax in Bhuj and start for Pune by afternoon.

How doable does this sound?
Is there any place I can omit or maybe add that falls on the way or maybe can be done on 26th morning.
Which place has the most Flamingoes and the best sunset?

I know 2 days for ROK is a pity but sadly that's the most I can manage at present and I really want to visit the Rann.

Last edited by Ajitsingh208 : 9th January 2015 at 16:53.
Old 10th February 2015, 18:33   #82
BHPian

re: Gujarat road trip - Queries

Note to Mod: Didn't receive any response on another thread. Hence posting it here in hope of a response here :-)

Planning to visit Sasan Gir towards this month end from Pune.
I saw detailed instructions from Pune till joining Ahmedabad Highway in preceding posts. However what is the route guidance thereafter?

Google Maps shows a route from Karjan > Padra > Borsad > Dhandhuka > Botad. Is the road condition better?

Or is it better to take a small detour via Vadodara ring road and take exit around Anand?

Plan is like this:
26 Feb: Leave from Pune early, reach mid-way (Vapi / Vadodara) stay overnight
27 Feb: Start again early and reach Gir - relax or do Somnath
28 Feb: Visit Gir forests and other areas such as Junagadh + Somnath temple
1 Mar: Visit NalSarovar Bird Sanctury and reach Vadodara overnight
2 Mar: Leave Vadodara and reach Pune.

We thought about doing Rann utsav, but, with the time we have at hand, it seems to be a stretch..!

So, the questions!
Does this sound like a good plan?

Can we do more?

Anything we are missing?
Old 26th September 2016, 11:31   #83

Gujarat ki sair by Road

Dear Seniors,

Request your inputs/comments on the following proposed trip/routes to Gujarat. Most of the travel operators do not cover Ambaji. The bhp-ian in me is teasing me, so planning the trip by road in November/December.

The dates are in the process of finalization, so I will be concerned with the routes and do-able timelines. Have one senior citizen with me.

Day 1: Delhi to Pali (via Jaipur-Beawar). Road conditions were just OK about 3 years back. Request inputs on the latest road conditions. Halting at Pali.

Day 2: Pali to Ambaji (via Abu Road). Hope to cover the temple and nearby site seeing on the same day.

Day 3: Visit Modhera and Rani Ki Vav. Rest in Ambaji.

Day 4: Ambaji to Ahmedabad. (is this doable on Day 3?) Local Sightseeing including Gandhi nagar.

Day 5: Ahmedabad to Dwarka (via Rajkot and Jamnagar). I am given to understand that the state of roads is excellent.

Day 6: Dwarka and Bet Dwarka (local sight seeing). Night halt at Dwarka.

Day 7: Dwarka to Somnath. Mandir darshan. (Night halt at Somnath). I am given to understand that the state of roads is excellent.

Day 8: I was toying with the idea of visiting Gir forest but have dropped it. Visit Diu. Local sight seeing and night halt at Diu.

Day 9: Diu to Ahmedabad (via Rajkot). Night stay at Ahmedabad. Understand that road via Bhavnagar is not good. So dropped the idea to visit palitana.

Day 10: Ahmedabad to Pushkar (night halt at Pushkar).

Day 11: Pushkar to Delhi.

Thanking you in anticipation.
Old 28th September 2016, 19:15   #84
BHPian

Re: Gujarat ki sair by Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petropolitan View Post
Request your inputs/comments on the following proposed trip/routes to Gujarat. Most of the travel operators do not cover Ambaji. The bhp-ian in me is teasing me, so planning the trip by road in November/December.
Hi Petropolitan,

I would suggest the below inputs upon your itinerary.

Day 1: Ok

Day 2: Ambaji.
There is nothing around Ambaji to do. If you wish to relax a bit i suggest you drive down to Ambaji from Pali, do the darshans & go to Mt Abu for overnight. Its barely 50 kms & you could chill out on the hills or do some boating in Lake Nakki. Again, Mt Abu offers some little shopping to do as well.

Day 3: Mt Abu to Ahmedabad via Modhera & Rani ki vav. Modhera is enroute Ahmedabad from Ambaji, so no point going back for overnight in Ambaji. Modhera to Ahmedabad takes an hour & half. There is also Bahucharaji Temple 25 kms from Modhera, its got a lot of auspicious value. Go to Bahucharaji only if darshans are important, else avoid. Take the Mehsana Express way on the way back. Everything easily doable in a day.

Day 4, 5 & 6: Perfect

Day 7: Somnath to Diu is 90 kms. Both the places have beach. Just like Ambaji, Somnath is just a Temple. If the senior citizen wants ample of time with Darshans, stay overnight. Else, you can skip overnight in Somnath & drive to Diu. I believe this will take off a lot of stress of check in & out of hotels.

Some other pointers I could think of for your Gujarat trip.

Gondal: If as a Team BHPian, you would like to take up the pilgrimage tour for yourself. Dont miss to visit Gondal. Orchard Palace has a lovely collection for Vintage & Classic Cars. Gondal has a lot of historical value. You can search it out more about it over the web. You can visit Gondal on Day 9 while coming to Ahmedabad. But you just got to be a little quick since the drive is long.

Also, if thats not enough, dont miss the Dastan Farm in Ahmedabad, where once again you would witness a lot of Vintage & Classic car collection by Pranlal Bhogilal. Its got a ethinic restaurant too.

South Ahmedabad after crossing Rajkot, just be a little cautious about the food & water. Make sure what you consume is fresh & hygenic.

Where to eat in Ahmedabad for typical Gujarati food?
House of MG's (Fantastically restored property opposite Siddi Saiyed ni Jali)
Rajwadu
Vishalla

Just dont think of anything else if you wish to have a full authentic Gujarati meal experience.

Hope the above information helps. Let me know if you got anymore queries.

Cheers, Karan.

Last edited by ampere : 17th October 2016 at 08:15. Reason: Reduced size of quoted post
Old 16th October 2016, 22:17   #85
Senior - BHPian

Pune to Gujarat

Hi Folks - requesting advice on my intended road trip from Pune to Gujarat in few weeks' time. Will be travelling with wifey, kid & parents in a Vento.
Proposed route is:-

Day 1. Pune > Ahmedabad
Day 2. Ahmedabad sightseeing
Day 3. Ahmedabad > Sasan Gir
Day 4. Sasan Gir Jungle Trail (6 am - 9 am slot) > Somnath (temple darshan) / Diu (beach) > Somnath
Day 5. Somnath > Porbandar > Dwarka (temple darshan) > Jamnagar
Day 6. Jamnagar > Vadodara
Day 7. Vadodara > Pune

Planning to book Ginger Hotels wherever possible.
Requesting suggestions / recent road updates.
Old 17th October 2016, 08:12   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Pune to Gujarat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
Day 1. Pune > Ahmedabad
Make sure you leave as early as possible from Pune (no later to 0500). This will help you cross Mumbai by 0800) and help you beat the local traffic before peak time starts. 30 minutes earlier to this will be fantastic.

You can plan your breakfast at a lot of options after hitting NH8 post Ghodbunder. Like I always say, Mum-Ahmedabad is a food highway and you really need not bother on where to stop.

Vittal Kamat located before Manor will be around 40 minutes post Ghodbunder Junction. If not this, there will a lot more options to stop and with visible hints - Plenty of cars parked.

Ideally, Pune to Ahmedabad with an early morning departure will take anywhere between 10-12 Hours. Mumbai - Ahmedabad alone takes 7-8 Hours depending on traffic conditions.

Ankleshwar - Bharuch bridge mess and the art of tackling it:

If you didn't know, this one can be a huge time consumer if you get stuck ina Jam. Reason being that the main highway has 2 Bridges. One for North Bound Traffic and another for South Bound traffic over river Narmada.

However, the North Bound Bridge is new while the south bound one is very old (and weak). Hence, all the trucks and heavy vehicles are not allowed to take the south bound bridge due to its weak structure. They are instead made to take the North Bound bridge manned by cops on both the ends who allow only one way traffic in cycles from both sides.

The older & weaker south bound bridge is allowed for Cars and other local traffic. While the south bound traffic simply takes this, the North bound cars are made to cross the median and take the other side of the road and the bridge and join back on the main corridor at the other end of the bridge.

The Video below should give you an idea. The last 10 second of this Video is where you will notice me entering the old bridge while the trucks are all using the bridge on the other side.

Bottom line:

Something that I always do whenever driving here and which always worked till date. Check on googlemaps when you are nearing this location. If you notice that the jam extends beyond a kilometer, you better take exit for Ankleshwar town, pass the Golden Bridge, enter Bharuch town and merge back onto the main highway.

This is the Golden Bridge that connects Ankleshwar & Bharuch Towns through an alternate road that one needs to take in case the jam on the highway is longer than usual.

Gujarat road trip - Queries-golden-bridge-01.jpg

The pain is generally less when heading south but again, it is always better to assess the traffic on Googlemaps which is almost accurate before exiting to Bharuch and joining back the main highway after Ankleshwar.

The pic below illustrates that:

Gujarat road trip - Queries-ankleshwarbharuch.jpg

Quote:
Day 2. Ahmedabad sightseeing
Easy one. Based on your time and the fact that next day's drive won't be more than 8 hours, you can do good sight seeing here and am sure you will have all the POIs listed - Sabarmati Ashram, Adalaj Step Well, Swaminarayan Temple (Gandhinagar), Shopping near Law Garden.

Quote:
Day 3. Ahmedabad > Sasan Gir
The route is simple and stick to this :

Ahmedabad - Bavla - Bagodara - Limdi - Chotila - Rajkot Bypass - Gondal Bypass - Virpur - Jetpur (Exit NH for Porbandar here below the Interchange) - Junagarh - Mendarda - Sasan Gir

4 Lane all the way till Junagarh, cross Junagarh City and then head towards Sasan Gir on single lane. Roads are fantastic throughout.

Look out for Honest Restaurants and HFM - Highway Food Mall when driving from Ahmedabad to Rajkot to Gir. Plenty of them now.

Quote:
Day 4. Sasan Gir Jungle Trail (6 am - 9 am slot) > Somnath (temple darshan) / Diu (beach) > Somnath
The road from Sasan Gir to Somnath is again in excellent condition. It is a 2 lane road with occasional speedbreakers in the forest area but the road itself is good. So nothing to worry.

What I am not sure if the road to Diu from Sasan Gir. I have driven Sasan Gir - Talala - Prachi in January this year and that road was in excellent condition. Post that I am not sure but I assume that should be in good condition too.

So in case your destination is Diu first then you need to do Sasan Gir - Talala - Prachi - Kodinar - Diu. Diu to Somnath is again good roads.

Quote:
Day 5. Somnath > Porbandar > Dwarka (temple darshan) > Jamnagar
Easy one, No such concerns, roads remain in good condition. Based on the time taken for the Darshan at the temple in Dwarka, you can take a call whether you need to halt at Dwarka or at Jamnagar.

Dwarka will have lot of options while Jamnagar is a typical Gujarat City and will have regular Hotels to stay - President, Fortune Palace etc.

Quote:
Day 6. Jamnagar > Vadodara
Jamnagar - Dhrol - Rajkot - Limdi - Ahmedabad Ring Road - NE1 - Vadodara - 415 Kms

The alternate is Jamnagar - Dhrol - Rajkot - Limdi - Bagodara - Dholka - Kheda - Nadiad - Anand - Vadodara - 379 Kms

The difference between the 2 is the one via Ahmedabad will also pass via NE1 while the alternate route will fork out at Bagodara before Ahmedabad.

Although Ahmedabad Ring road itself is not a pain to cross with new bridges done, you can take a call on which one you will prefer. In terms of timings, both will make a difference of 15-30 minutes.

Quote:
Day 7. Vadodara > Pune
Straightforward. Only advises -
  • Do assess Googlemaps before nearing Bharuch and take a call whether to take Golden Bridge route via Bharuch & Ankleshwar towns or take the normal highway

• Make sure that you cross Mumbai between 1-4 PM which will help you avoid peak hour traffic

• Do not reach Mumbai around 10PM. You will be driving along with a sea of trucks soon after Ghodbunder and the check nakas and parked trucks will be too much to handle at night

• Do not enter Mumbai - Pune expressway after 11PM, I am sure you know why I say that - South bound buses along with usual trucks and trailers will crawl on those 8 kms nearing Lonavala and you won't be happy tailing them when your destination is only 60 minutes away

Quote:
Planning to book Ginger Hotels wherever possible.
Requesting suggestions / recent road updates.
  • Sasan Gir has Fern and Gateway as your options. They opened quite a while ago as I noticed them in January itself.

• Somnath will have Lords and Fern along with others

• Jamnagar as I mentioned above has President & Fortune Palace

• Vadodara - Unless you have solid reasons to stay inside the city, you can always opt for something close to the highway so that you high the highway as soon as you crank.

• Plazzo Resorts & Baniyan Paradise Resorts are popular places to stay by the highway here and Plazzo is a reputed name in Gujarat (Ahmedabad included).

Last edited by paragsachania : 17th October 2016 at 08:22. Reason: Added pic of Golden Bridge
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th October 2016, 08:20   #87
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Day 4. Sasan Gir Jungle Trail (6 am - 9 am slot)
Do you have this booking already? Because if not its not easy. People queue in there since 2 AM for the current slot for 6AM !
Old 17th October 2016, 20:23   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Make sure you leave as early as possible from Pune (no later to 0500). This will help you cross Mumbai by 0800) and help you beat the local traffic before peak time starts. 30 minutes earlier to this will be fantastic.
Sure, thanks. I have made trips to Vadodara couple of times in the past, so very well aware of this important detail

Quote:
Ideally, Pune to Ahmedabad with an early morning departure will take anywhere between 10-12 Hours. Mumbai - Ahmedabad alone takes 7-8 Hours depending on traffic conditions.
thanks

Quote:
If you didn't know, this one can be a huge time consumer if you get stuck ina Jam. Reason being that the main highway has 2 Bridges. One for North Bound Traffic and another for South Bound traffic over river Narmada.
Oh yes, have experienced it and have smarted from it by now.

Quote:
Easy one. Based on your time and the fact that next day's drive won't be more than 8 hours, you can do good sight seeing here and am sure you will have all the POIs listed - Sabarmati Ashram, Adalaj Step Well, Swaminarayan Temple (Gandhinagar), Shopping near Law Garden.
This info helps, thanks.

Quote:
The route is simple and stick to this :
Ahmedabad - Bavla - Bagodara - Limdi - Chotila - Rajkot Bypass - Gondal Bypass - Virpur - Jetpur (Exit NH for Porbandar here below the Interchange) - Junagarh - Mendarda - Sasan Gir

4 Lane all the way till Junagarh, cross Junagarh City and then head towards Sasan Gir on single lane. Roads are fantastic throughout.

Look out for Honest Restaurants and HFM - Highway Food Mall when driving from Ahmedabad to Rajkot to Gir. Plenty of them now.

The road from Sasan Gir to Somnath is again in excellent condition. It is a 2 lane road with occasional speedbreakers in the forest area but the road itself is good. So nothing to worry.

What I am not sure if the road to Diu from Sasan Gir. I have driven Sasan Gir - Talala - Prachi in January this year and that road was in excellent condition. Post that I am not sure but I assume that should be in good condition too.

So in case your destination is Diu first then you need to do Sasan Gir - Talala - Prachi - Kodinar - Diu. Diu to Somnath is again good roads.
great info.

Quote:
Easy one, No such concerns, roads remain in good condition. Based on the time taken for the Darshan at the temple in Dwarka, you can take a call whether you need to halt at Dwarka or at Jamnagar.

Dwarka will have lot of options while Jamnagar is a typical Gujarat City and will have regular Hotels to stay - President, Fortune Palace etc.
Thanks, I intend to stay overnight in Jamnagar at my relatives. But will note this if the plans change and I have to stay at these places.

Quote:
Jamnagar - Dhrol - Rajkot - Limdi - Ahmedabad Ring Road - NE1 - Vadodara - 415 Kms
The alternate is Jamnagar - Dhrol - Rajkot - Limdi - Bagodara - Dholka - Kheda - Nadiad - Anand - Vadodara - 379 Kms

The difference between the 2 is the one via Ahmedabad will also pass via NE1 while the alternate route will fork out at Bagodara before Ahmedabad.
Although Ahmedabad Ring road itself is not a pain to cross with new bridges done, you can take a call on which one you will prefer. In terms of timings, both will make a difference of 15-30 minutes.
Ok, will take a note.
Again thanks for all the detail, much appreciated.
Old 17th October 2016, 20:26   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Do you have this booking already? Because if not its not easy. People queue in there since 2 AM for the current slot for 6AM !
Came across their official site providing online permit booking. So I guess this can be pre-booked and is not a show-stopper anymore.
Old 17th October 2016, 20:42   #90
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Came across their official site providing online permit booking. So I guess this can be pre-booked and is not a show-stopper anymore.
Try that pre-booking for a long weekend. Usually its sold out right from day one, months in advance. Hence you may want to cover that. For each session 50% is sold online and the rest is current. There are I think a total of 12 jeeps per slot (like the 6-9 one) of which 6 jeeps are available for online booking. Each jeep if I remember correctly can carry about 5-6 people.

Last edited by ampere : 17th October 2016 at 20:45.

Most Viewed