Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2017, 11:20   #136
Senior - BHPian

Re: Gujarat road trip - Queries

Hello Friends

Need help, and i presume its gonna be a lot that i might need.

The Gujarat trip was brewing for a long time, and the plan is to now do it during the Christmas vacations.

Plan is to fly from Bangalore to Ahmedabad and then, from there, do a road trip. Wife and son are not ok with driving from Bangalore, citing that we lost 4 days overall ( 2 days to reach Guj and 2 days on the roads to head back home )

I can leave Blr on the 22nd Dec and have to be back on the 1st Jan.

Help needed as below :
1. Dates are fixed, so, i will book flight tickets for these dates
2. Please suggest any reliable Self Drive Car options from Ahmedabad
3. Please suggest places to visit ( what i read thru and thought i can cover is - Gir, Somnath, Dwarka, LRK).

Thanks in advance already. I will start making my itnry once i get to hear your thoughts and suggestions.
Old 7th October 2017, 12:12   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Hello Friends

Need help, and i presume its gonna be a lot that i might need.

Help needed as below :
1. ...
2. ...
3. Please suggest places to visit ( what i read thru and thought i can cover is - Gir, Somnath, Dwarka, LRK).

Thanks in advance already. I will start making my itnry once i get to hear your thoughts and suggestions.

If you can, start your journey by spending a night at Velavadar. The forest guest house there is the best place to stay (the payment need to be sent via demand draft) but there is one other, rather very expensive resort - The Blackbuck Lodge

On the way to Jamnagar from Dwarka, you have one and only Marine National park of India (I could be wrong about one and only). That apart, it is one of the best place to go especially with the kids. It is utmost important that you time your trip to reach there during a low tide. It shouldn't be difficult as you can track the tide timings before hand.

On the way to Dwarka (from Porbandar), around 20 kilometers before Dwarka, there is the beach of Okha Madhi. One of the best sunsets you can enjoy - of course on a clear day; but winter is a good time for blue waters, clear sky and amazing sunsets.

Also check out the Gujarat Tourism website. The time of your visit is also the time for Kutch Festival.

Last edited by akbaree : 7th October 2017 at 12:17.
akbaree is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2017, 12:30   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also check out the Gujarat Tourism website. The time of your visit is also the time for Kutch Festival.
Yes, It is the time of Kutch Festival, which is known as Rann Utsav. Do not miss it, December is the best time to witness white Desert at ROK (Rann of Kutch).

Website of RanUtsav. http://rannutsav2017.com/
SJM1214 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2017, 17:59   #139
Senior - BHPian

Thank you very much Akbaree and SJM. Good to know about the blackbuck lodge, the marine life park, the Okha Madhi beach and the Kutch festival. Will get these into our interests and places to cover.

I have to get the self drive car option sorted, and for some reason, i don't want to place trust on Zoom yet, but i guess i might not have many other choices.

If someone knows a reliable car hire at Ahmedabad, i will truly appreciate the information. Thank you.
Old 8th October 2017, 22:08   #140
BHPian

Hi Friends,

I am planning a solo drive to Gujarat from Mumbai (end Nov-W1 Dec). Below is the planned itinerary:
D-1: Mumbai-Vadodara (Will leave in afternoon from office)
D-2: Vadodara-Little Rann (via anand-nadiad-kheda-ahmedabad-viramgam)
D-3: Little Rann-Dholavira-Bhuj (via Malia-Samkhiyali-Chitrod-Rapar-Dholavira-back to Samkhiyali-Bhachau-Dudhai-Bhuj)
D-4: Bhuj- Kalo Dungar-Dhordo-Bhuj
D-5: Bhuj-Lakhpat-Koteshwar/Narayan Sarovar-Mandvi-Gandhidham (via Nakhatrana-Dayapar-Narayan Sarovar-Wadsar-Kothara-Mandvi-Talwana-Bidada-Samagoga-Anjar-Gandhidham)
D-6: Gandhidham-Narara Reef-Jamnagar (Nandgam-Bhachau-Samkhiyali-Shikarpur-Malia-Pipaliya-Manpar-Hadiyana-Jambuda-Jamnagar)
D-7: Jamnagar-Dwarka-Somnath (via Khambhalia-Juvanpur-Dwarka-Madhi-Gandhvi-Porbandar-Mangrol-Somnath)
D-8: Somnath-Vadodara (via Junagadh-Jetpur-Gondal-Rajkot-Limbdi-Bagoda-Kheda-Nadiad)
D-9: Vadodara-Mumbai

Seek your expert advice on below:
1. Does the planned itinerary look good and realistic, any changes required ?
2. Permit requirements if any, i learnt the only permit required is for Kalo Dungar/Dhordo which can be obtained on the go at Bhirandhiara ?
3. Is half a day post mid-noon sufficient to visit little Rann, also which is the best place(operator) to stay overnight as west as possible (towards Dhrangadha), so that i can cut down on travel distance next day ?
4. Any special pointers on Narara Reef ?
3. Any particular route alert ?
4. Any good budget stay suggestions at Bhuj/Gandhidham/Jamnagar/Somnath ?

Thanks for your support !
Old 15th October 2017, 10:45   #141
Senior - BHPian

I shall be closely watching this thread as well, given most queries are quite useful for me. I just booked my flight tickets to Ahmedabad and have also booked 'MYLES", Hyundai, I10 Auto for my trip there.
Old 25th November 2017, 17:07   #142
BHPian

In last 2 months, co-travellers changed, itinerary changed what remain unshaken is the plan to do Gujarat circuit in my Bluebird.
Now its me and my cousin only who will undertake this and though i will miss my wife and parents being along, it also allows me some carefree adventure !

Revised Itinerary
D-1: Mumbai to Vadodara: Leave after mid-day in office
D-2: Vadodara to Junagadh
D-3: Junagadh to Somnath via Gir
D-4: Somnath to Dwarka via Madhavpur
D-5: Dwarka to Narara Reef
D-6: Jamnagar to Bhuj
D-7: Bhuj to Koteshwar/Lakhpat to Bhuj
D-8: Bhuj to Kalo Dungar/Dhordo to Bhuj
D-9: Bhuj to Dholavira to Mehsana
D-10: Mehsana to Patan to Modhera to Ahmedabad
D-11: Ahmedabad to Balasinor Dinosaur Park to Ahmedabad
D-12: Ahmedabad to Champaner/Pavagadh to Mumbai

Hotels booked, now the endless wait begins for 22nd Dec.
Old 25th November 2017, 17:25   #143
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebird_7 View Post
D-1: Mumbai to Vadodara: Leave after mid-day in office
D-2: Vadodara to Junagadh
D-3: Junagadh to Somnath via Gir

Any reasons to stay in Junagad? You can make it to Gir the same day?
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2017, 17:39   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Any reasons to stay in Junagad? You can make it to Gir the same day?
No specific reason except i found reasonable hotel at better price in Junagadh compared to Gir where there are mostly expensive resorts. And since i will reach only by night to leave early morning next day, the luxury of resort will remain unutilized !
Old 12th December 2017, 21:26   #145
Senior - BHPian

Friends,
Really need help now. I was swarmed with work and missed much of what needs to be done from a planning point of view on my trip. So, the flight tickets are booked, and my myles car is booked, but post that i have issues and can take help here.

Dec 21st - Depart to Ahmedabad, stay at A'bad, hotel booked
Dec 22nd - Depart to Dhordo Tent City, stay at Tent, Rann Utsav Booked
Dec 23rd - Check out, and depart to dwarka. Htel booked for Dwarka

Post this, i haven't been able to do anything. I had some time this noon and only this noon did i realise that i no longer have the chance to book the GIR Safari, because its sold out.

My return ticket to Bangalore is the on 30th morning. So, i will greatly appreciate any thoughts, ideas and help here. Its a family holiday. Thanks heaps already in advance.
Old 12th December 2017, 21:48   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Friends,
Really need help now. Its a family holiday.
Well, not being able to visit Gir is a bummer. You could still try if you are able to get the early morning very limited spot booking permits. Probably a friendly hotel manager could help you out. However, check this out in advance with your hotel since there are reports that spot bookings are done away with. There is always Devalia which you can visit with a nearly 100% guarantee of spotting lions.

Apart from this, you can visit Velavader with its huge population of birds and the famed blackbuck. Since you have ample time, consider visiting Somnath, Diu, Porbandar, Palitana, Velavader, the step wells near A'bad, Sun temple, Kutch apart from the places earmarked by you.
Old 12th December 2017, 23:38   #147
BHPian

Hi,
I am planning a 2 week road trip from Pune as follows!
1) Surat
2) Ahmedabad
3) Dholavira
4) Jaisalmer
5) Sam Dunes
6) Jodhpur
7) Mount Abu
8) Udaipur

I will be driving Altis AT - family of 3 of us - and have few queries. Would appreciate help from fellow BHPians
1) General review on trip plan
2) Places to stay at around Dholavira, Jaisalmer, Jodhpur, Mt Abu, Udaipur. Looking for reasonably priced neat-clean-safe places.
3) Good references for Sam Dunes trip
4) Tips on visiting Ran area
5) Quick detours or places to visit enroute
6) Routes to take

Thank you !
Regards
Narendra

Last edited by naren_gs1 : 12th December 2017 at 23:40.
Old 13th December 2017, 13:05   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naren_gs1 View Post
Hi,
1) Surat
2) Ahmedabad
3) Dholavira
4) Jaisalmer
5) Sam Dunes
6) Jodhpur
7) Mount Abu
8) Udaipur
From Jaisalmer,you can head to Tanot and Longewala.

At Jodhpur,make sure you take the Audio guide at the Mehrangarh Fort,its an absolutely brilliant experience

We did a similar circuit many years ago, https://goo.gl/KHwtja
Old 13th December 2017, 15:19   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naren_gs1 View Post
Hi,

Thank you !
Regards
Narendra
Hi Narendra,

am covering Rajasthan bit very similarly. Hence, I can share some info based on my research (no 1st hand experience yet)
2)
Jaisalmer
- must - Longewala/Tanot, stay at Dune
-maybe Jaisalmer Fort/Kuldhara/Lake (not well maintained and nothing great about them)
Jodhpur
- must - Mehrangar Fort, Palace (museum), Vasant Thada, Lake, Rock Park
- maybe - ziplining
Mount Abu - i have a feedback that it isnt an actual hill station and would be a drag to a rushed road trip
3)Sam sand dunes - lots of options - but idea is to stay close to the dunes (Royal Peepli, Desert Gateway- js check the gmaps and tripadvisor) & away from the crowd to avoid the noise
Khuri dunes - as per the pictures the dunes arent great but its relatively less populated and few decent camps like Mamas are there

Hopefully these help. do share your plan as it shapes up. as it will help me decide things at my end too!
Old 13th December 2017, 17:06   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
From Jaisalmer,you can head to Tanot and Longewala.

At Jodhpur,make sure you take the Audio guide at the Mehrangarh Fort,its an absolutely brilliant experience
Sure - noted - thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
We did a similar circuit many years ago, https://goo.gl/KHwtja
wow - let me check it out for more details

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelWake View Post
Hi Narendra,

am covering Rajasthan bit very similarly. Hence, I can share some info based on my research (no 1st hand experience yet)
wow - many people seem to be headed same way. A colleague who sits 3 desks away is also going. I will PM mobile number. In case any query comes up during the tour

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelWake View Post
Hi Narendra,

Mount Abu - i have a feedback that it isnt an actual hill station and would be a drag to a rushed road trip
Ah ok

Last edited by mobike008 : 15th December 2017 at 09:30. Reason: Merging back to back posts

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks