Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2018, 16:44   #166
Senior - BHPian

Re: Gujarat road trip - Queries

Hi Guys, planning to drive to Gandhidham on 9th of May, will have to attend office for half a day on the 9th which is a wednesday and will be leaving from work at 1:00 am, parents will be ready by then and I will reach home, pick them up along with the luggage and we will set off approximately at 2 am for Gandhidham. I know an odd time but due to extreme work pressures and project time lines, this is all I could muster, returning back on Sunday the 13th and will be back to work on the 14th.

Can you please suggest me some interesting places I can see around in the 3 days that I get to stay in Gandhidham, ofcourse there is a marriage we are attending and that is why we are there but I will find time in between to see the places around.

Which are 3-4 of the best places around Gandhidham which I could see? I am big time into photography so something which takes care of that angle too. I don't mind driving good distances to see these places.

Last edited by humyum : 9th April 2018 at 16:46. Reason: More information
Old 10th April 2018, 09:00   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Which are 3-4 of the best places around Gandhidham which I could see?.
Bellow places are within the 100km radius of Gandhidham.

1. Bhuj ( 58Km from GDM).
Bhuj is well known for its old building. Aiana mahal, hamrisar lake and Prag mahal are nice places.

2. Mandavi ( 99km from GDM)
Mandavi beach is considered as one of the best beaches in India. You can visit Vijay Vilas palace (hum dil de chuke fame). The shipyard at Madavi is also an amazing place to see.

3. Mundra (55Km from GDM)
Adani Port at Munda is a worth visit. However, please be informed photography is not allowed inside of Port.

If you are ok to go beyond 100Km from Gandhidham. You can cover Mata no madh(152 Km), Kalo dungar (145KM), white(won't be white during these months) ran of Kutch (140KM).
Old 29th April 2018, 13:35   #168
Senior - BHPian

Did a 4800 km trip from Bangalore to Gujarat recently with my wife and 2 kids. Posting the circuit and road updates :

D1 : Bangalore-Pune . 870 km , excellent roads.

D2 : Pune-Varoda . 550 km , excellent roads but comparatively high traffic on Bombay-Bharuch stretch .

D3 : Varoda-Ahmedabad Ring Road - Limbdi - Botad - Sarangpur Hanuman temple . 250km , good 4 laned roads till Limbdi. Good 2 laned roads thereafter.

D4 : Sarangpur - Amreli - Sasan Gir - Somnath . 250 km, good 2 lane roads . 14 km stretch before Sasan Gir is through Gir National Park. No roads , only a jungle trail. Took an hour to cover this. Has 2 checkposts at entry and exit and closed during night.

D5 : Somnath - Porbandar - Dwarka . 230km . Some stretches are good but a lot of construction work and single laned roads. Took over 5 hrs to cover.

D6 : Dwarka - Nageshwar - Bet Dwarka - Dwarka . 70km , good roads.

D7 : Dwarka - Jamnagar - Malia - Bhachau - Bhuj - Bhirandiara - Dhordo - Bhirandiara. 500 km , excellent roads. We did not have to take permits at the Bhirandiara check post - there was a cop who told us it wasn't necessary and let us through.

D8 : Bhirandiara - Kalo Dungar - India Bridge - Bhuj - Bhachau - Malia - Ahmedabad. 480km , excellent roads.

D9 : Ahmedabad local sightseeing.

D10 : Ahmedabad-Pune . 660km.

D11 : Pune - Bangalore - 870km.

Stayed at CHD hotels ( from H V Kumar ) at most places which were great. At Sarangpur , Somnath and Dwarka stayed at the accomodation provided by the temple trusts. Rooms were excellent and nominally priced between 600-700. Parking facilities were present at the temple accomodations.

I personally liked Dwarka the most of all places that we visited. The temperature in the coastal places like Dwarka and Somnath were below 35 and manageable. The other places were around 40 and hot. We used to drive during the daytime and use the mornings and evenings for sightseeing.

Posting some photos from the trip.

Bet Dwarka jetty.

Gujarat road trip - Queries-bet_dwarka.jpg

Dwarka beach. Clean and pristine.

Gujarat road trip - Queries-dwarka_beach.jpg

Sunset at Dwarka . Taken from Sudama Setu across the Gomti river.

Gujarat road trip - Queries-dwarka_sunset.jpg

Dwarka temple from across the Gomti river. The flag is changed 5 times a day.

Gujarat road trip - Queries-dwarka_temple.jpg

Sudama setu and the Gomti river at Dwarka.

Gujarat road trip - Queries-sudama_setu.jpg

Safari at Sasan Gir. We chose the 3-6 pm slot and were fortunate to see some lions.

Gujarat road trip - Queries-gir_safari.jpg

View from Kalo Dungar.

Gujarat road trip - Queries-kalo_dungar.jpg

The White Desert - the Great Rann of Kutch. Taken from the tower top. April isn't the best time to visit the Rann , but you'll have the desert all to yourself.

Gujarat road trip - Queries-rann.jpg

Somnath beach behind the temple. Camel and horserides and popular here.

Gujarat road trip - Queries-somnath_beach.jpg

Last edited by sdp1975 : 29th April 2018 at 13:54.
sdp1975 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th April 2018, 09:44   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
Did a 4800 km trip from Bangalore to Gujarat recently with my wife and 2 kids.
Other than the White Desert, how bad was the weather elsewhere? Especially for something outdoor like Gir.

Any reason why you overlooked Narara? Would have been entertaining for the kids.
Old 30th April 2018, 10:50   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Other than the White Desert, how bad was the weather elsewhere? Especially for something outdoor like Gir.

Any reason why you overlooked Narara? Would have been entertaining for the kids.
You'll feel the heat if you step out from the a/c of your car during daytime. More than the heat , it's the hot wind blowing in places like Gir in the open safari that will test you. I used to wrap my head and face in a piece of cloth . All this is applicable for the daytime between say 12-5. Ahmedabad was hot but again manageable. Sarangpur was the hottest of them all . Overall I would say that Gujarat is doable in April - May will be bad I guess.

Doing the safari in the morning 6-9 am slot is the best option in terms of sighting and also weather . We could not do this slot as we didn't plan to stay in Gir , and we didn't book in advance as well . The morning slots are usually full. Carry plenty of water with you in the safari.

Our schedule was tight , and we didn't visit Narara. I didn't quite imagine that the kids would like it , may have visited otherwise.
sdp1975 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2018, 14:07   #171
Senior - BHPian

Thank you. How did you time for the Vasai Creek traffic?
Old 5th May 2018, 10:34   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Thank you. How did you time for the Vasai Creek traffic?
Saw your message today.

We crossed the creek during Sunday noon while going towards Gujarat. Didn't face much traffic. While returning , we crossed it around 4pm or so. It was a Tuesday , and didn't face a lot of traffic either. I believe peak mornings and evenings are a trouble , not otherwise.
sdp1975 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2018, 13:37   #173
BHPian

Drove from Coimbatore to Porbandar a few months ago. It was mostly an uneventful and enjoyable trip.

Just wanted to warn other non-Gujarat registered vehicle owners. I was stopped by a group of thugs (read Gujarat police) on the Ahmedabad outer ring road. Soon after I entered the ring road.

I thought may be they will say I was speeding (which I was sure I was not) or just check the papers of my TN37 registered car. I had all my papers intact, all in original since it was a long way from home.

They just checked my driving license. Then they said I don't have yellow stripes on my headlights. I was completely dumbfounded. What yellow stripes? Yellow stripes on the headlight. Anyway, I started arguing with them. Then they asked me for RTO approval for the luggage carrier I had on the roof. Again, I was at a loss of words.

There were about 5 of them and at least one of them looked like an SI. I was furious when they asked me to pay 7000 bucks or go to court. I kept arguing asking them to show me where these laws exist and if you have such stupid rules in your state, you should warn others in the form of some sign boards before they enter the state. There was no way I was going to pay 7000. They said it was Saturday and I will have to wait till Monday for the court to open. I said that was not an issue since I had cousins in Ahmedabad.

All this while I was talking in Hindi. My Gujarati is not so good. Then my wife (who is a Gujju) saw me fighting and came to my rescue with her Gujarati. Finally had to part with 500 bucks. What a nuisance!

Later I learnt there was some stupid law like that a while ago. I can understand if it's for a reflector headlamp. But today, what will 2 yellow strips help on my projectors as far as glare is concerned? Do you think they would have even understood if I tried this argument.

So, in short, stick yellow sticker on the headlamps before entering Gujarat. Or be prepared to fight with the cops, if you have the time and energy. I was waylaid by these thugs soon as I entered the ring road towards Rajkot. Just to give you an idea where to expect them.

I later also realised this has been discussed here on TBhp before. Just wish I had read it.

A picture of the yellow strips I got pasted in Porbandar, and the luggage carrier which has no "RTO Approval".
Gujarat road trip - Queries-20180620_13.27.55.jpg
SCORPION is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th June 2018, 14:02   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCORPION View Post

I don't have yellow stripes on my headlights. I was completely dumbfounded. What yellow stripes? Yellow stripes on the headlight. Anyway, I started arguing with them. Then they asked me for RTO approval for the luggage carrier I had on the roof.
The yellow strip rule has been abolished long back. Please refer thread below.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...-2-2015-a.html

It was roof carrier, which made them stop you and to make their case stronger they took advantage of your unawareness about yellow strip. Roof carrier is biggest cause for challans in northern India, specially during holiday seasons like May-June. Roof carrier is permitted on taxi cars and SUVs.

Last edited by Wanderers : 20th June 2018 at 14:06.
Wanderers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2018, 13:59   #175
BHPian

Roof carriers are allowed on private vehicle everywhere. The cops try to act smart by saying it's not allowed in their state, but there is no such law for disallowance of roof carrier in private vehicle. I recently drove to Spiti valley from Ahmedabad and was stopped thrice in Rajasthan, Punjab and Chandigarh for roof carrier but didn't pay anything as there is no such law. You just need argue strongly. Permit for roof carrier is compulsory for taxi or commercial vehicles. Anywhere you travel in India if they see a outside state private vehicle cops will harass for one or the other thing.
abhikb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2018, 12:16   #176
BHPian

Hi, I am thinking of doing Gujarat road trip during the week of Diwali. Need help on following queries.

1. Will the hotels, sight seeing spots be functioning as normal or would there be restrictions?
2. I intend to do a 8 day trip with family. 2 adults, 2 young kids aged 9 and 2. Barring the first and last day, I hope to keep the driving distance within 300 km per day, for rest of the days. How should I sequence the towns? Are all of them possible and worth visiting in 8 days, with sufficient time allocated to tourist attractions?

1. Gir national park
2. Somnath
3. Dwarka
4. Ahmedabad
5. Vadodara
6. Patan
7. Rann of Kutch
8. Bhuj
9. Narara

If I have to skip some of these, are there any other towns that I can add along with the rest of the towns which are worth visiting?

Thanks!
Old 6th August 2018, 13:11   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
1. Will the hotels, sight seeing spots be functioning as normal or would there be restrictions?
What restrictions do you mean? Remember that during Diwali, all the hotels in tourist spots would have high occupancy and it is recommended that you get confirmed bookings in advance.
Quote:
2. Are all of them possible and worth visiting in 8 days, with sufficient time allocated to tourist attractions?
Possible, yes. Recommended, no. Keep sufficient time at each place to bond with family and enjoy the sights leisurely.

My take would be to spend 2 nights in Ahmedabad and take in the near by sights such as Adalaj step well, Sabarmati ashram, Sun temple, Swaminarayan temple in Gandhinagar and for some local shopping and cuisine.
One night in Somnath, One night at Dwarka, and depending upon your appetite and interest one or more nights at Gir*. Two nights at Bhuj/kutch. On way from/to Dwarka-Somnath you could also see Kirti mandir (Gandhi's birth place) at Porbandar.

Possible route could be:
A'Bad-GIR-Somnath-Porbandar-Dwarka-Jamnagar-Kutch-A'Bad

Unless you have family/friends to visit, Vadodara could be given a miss. (it would be enroute anyway)

edit: * ensure you get your permits in advance.

Last edited by earthian : 6th August 2018 at 13:27. Reason: added edit
earthian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2018, 13:33   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthian View Post
What restrictions do you mean?
Thanks earthian for quick reply!
By restrictions, I meant if some of the sight seeing spots will be closed on diwali days.

Also, I was thinking of doing the hotel bookings on the go. Idea of road trip was to have flexibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthian View Post
Unless you have family/friends to visit, Vadodara could be given a miss.
No, we don't have any family / friends, but I was thinking of seeing the Palace in Vadodara. In pictures, it looked beautiful.

Last edited by shipnil : 6th August 2018 at 13:34. Reason: found superscript.
Old 6th August 2018, 13:54   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
By restrictions, I meant if some of the sight seeing spots will be closed on diwali days.
Tourist spots remain open. Gir would also be open. Remember, Diwali is a big festival in Gujarat and most shops and trade establishments close down for a week to a fortnight.

Quote:
Also, I was thinking of doing the hotel bookings on the go. Idea of road trip was to have flexibility.
If you are alone, that is good, infact, fun. With a family, and during the high tourist season, not recommended.

Quote:
.. of seeing the Palace in Vadodara. In pictures, it looked beautiful.
You can see it on the way by stopping for a few hours. Check whether it is open, though.

Last edited by earthian : 6th August 2018 at 13:57. Reason: house keeping
earthian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2018, 08:00   #180
Senior - BHPian

Need help on Ahmedabad to Diu route among two options

Planning to travel from Ahemedabad to Diu during month end.
I need help to know which is the best route and conditions of the route. If you are able to provide even the hotel stop for good food, it will be great.

All the sources I can find online are atleast 3-4 years old, just wanted to check if there are any latest updates.

One route suggested is via Vallabhipur - Dhanduka , where as other route suggestion is via Alang - Bhavnagar.

Kindly suggest which is the best option.

Most Viewed