Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2011, 17:38   #1
Senior - BHPian

Gir Forest - rendezevous with the Lion King

I've plans to visit Mumbai sometime in the end of April 2012 to attend a wedding. Needless to say that the journey would be by road.

The route obviously will be the NH8 throughout and I intend to spend a couple of days in Daman enroute.

Gir has been on my radar for quite sometime, so I intend to leave a few days earlier and visit the sanctuary.

The tentative plan that is germinating is somewhat as under:

Day 1 - ETD 03:00: Gurgaon to Ahmedabad via Ajmer (Dargah darshan), Udaipur and night halt (Ramky to help). Is it possible/doable (900 Kms)?

Question route options:

1st option: Ajmer - Bhilwara - Chittorgarh - Udaipur - Ahmedabad

2nd option: Ajmer - Beawar - Deogarh - Rajsamand - Udaipur - Ahmedabad

3rd option: Ajmer - Beawar - Pali - Mt. Abu - Udaipur - Ahmedabad

Day 2 - ETD 07:00: Ahmedabad to Gir via Rajkot & Junagarh.

3 days in the sanctuary with approx 6 safaris.

Question 1: Lodging options at Gir (preferably FRH), how do I book for the safaris & gypsies, any other useful related information?

Question 2: To proceed to Daman do I have to retrace my steps back to NH 8 at Ahmedabad or is there any decent route that connects me to NH 8 or to Daman?

Last edited by gd1418 : 15th November 2011 at 17:47.
Old 15th November 2011, 18:08   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Gir Forest - rendezevous with the Lion King

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
I've plans to visit Mumbai sometime in the end of April 2012 to attend a wedding. Needless to say that the journey would be by road.

The route obviously will be the NH8 throughout and I intend to spend a couple of days in Daman enroute.

Gir has been on my radar for quite sometime, so I intend to leave a few days earlier and visit the sanctuary.

Day 1 - ETD 03:00: Gurgaon to Ahmedabad via Ajmer (Dargah darshan), Udaipur and night halt (Ramky to help). Is it possible/doable (900 Kms)?

Question route options:

Your best option would be Ajmer-Nasirabad-NH76-Bhilwara-Chittor-Udaipur-Himmatnagar-Ahmedabad.

Even if you do not make it to Ahmedabad,you could stay at Hotel Landmark in Himmatnagar which is bang on NH8 and well marked.If you are intending to take a break at Ajmer for the dargah,it is going to be time-consuming and making it to Ahmedabad would be quite a tough task.I would reccomend that you do the night stopover at Udaipur instead.Ajmer-Udaipur via the 4laned GQ would take you around 5-6hours.The scene at the dargah is quite dynamic and time taken cannot be predicted at all.I would suggest that you park your car at the railway station and take a rickshaw to the top.The roads are narrow and parking is a big problem.
ranjitp1 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2011, 19:05   #3
Senior - BHPian

To elaborate the route ranjitp1 suggested, from Ajmer instead of going on NH8 (which is being widened till Beawar, in bad shape, and 2 laned after that), it is best if you connect with Nasirabad (24 kms) and go the GQ route to Udaipur.

Sasan Gir has lots of stay options - including Gujarat Tourism & Taj - and it normally does not attract lots of crowds (although the Big B is trying his best to promote GJ)! There is the open forest - with safari - and then the so-called Interpretation Zone at the place called DEvaliya some 10 kms away.

I don't know what you find attractive about Daman - it is simply a drunkard's haven and does not have any great beaches. May I suggest Diu which is just 2-3 hours away from Sasaa Gir - and you can also call on the LOrd at Somnath en route. If more interested, you cna also visit some interesting places around like Girnar (Junagadh), Palitana (wow!) and Lothal.

In case you still insist on visiting Daman, may I suggest you go stay at Bordi, the small MH sea village a few kms further south - a nice quiet place with excellent Parsi food.

To get to Daman, you have to get back to NH8 south of Ahmedabad. The fastest route would be:
Sasan Gir-Junagad-Jetpur-Rajkot-Bagodara-Ahmedabad-Baroda-Bharuch-Ankleshwar-Surat-Vapi-Bhilad-Daman. THis will take you on superfast 4-laned roads from Jetpur to Bhilad onwards.

In case you wish to break your back on some bad roads and also take 2-laned roads (nostalgia?), you can take either of routes ex-Bagodara or direct from Sasan Gir via Bhavnagar to Tarapur, Borsad & Vasad, which connects with NH8 just before Baroda. For the rest, NH8.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2011, 19:06   #4
BHPian

Daman is close to Mumbai / Surat. Makes sense to visit it on the way to / from Mumbai.

Unless you are confusing Daman and Diu?

My parents stayed in some tents in Gir. I can ask. But I am sure you will have better (and more up to date) guides for that.

Last edited by chinkara : 15th November 2011 at 19:09. Reason: Typo
Old 15th November 2011, 21:51   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
I don't know what you find attractive about Daman - it is simply a drunkard's haven and does not have any great beaches.
Cant agree more on the Daman part.It is just so shabby and dirty and even the hotels and resorts are very shady and cheesy.None of the hotels that have pictures on their websites look the same in reality in Daman
Old 15th November 2011, 23:34   #6
BHPian

Quote:

I don't know what you find attractive about Daman - it is simply a drunkard's haven and does not have any great beaches. May I suggest Diu which is just 2-3 hours away from Sasaa Gir - and you can also call on the LOrd at Somnath en route. If more interested, you cna also visit some interesting places around like Girnar (Junagadh), Palitana (wow!) and Lothal.
+1, Daman is not worth. Diu & other places like Junagadh & Palitana are way better.

Quote:
Sasan Gir-Junagad-Jetpur-Rajkot-Bagodara-Ahmedabad-Baroda-Bharuch-Ankleshwar-Surat-Vapi-Bhilad-Daman. THis will take you on superfast 4-laned roads from Jetpur to Bhilad onwards.
Yes, this is the best route.
Old 16th November 2011, 10:59   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I
The tentative plan...
The trip's 6 months away! Will talk to you about this in the meanwhile. Gir would be perfect in April for lion viewing. Gypsy/guide will be arranged!
Quote:
...from Sasan Gir via Bhavnagar to Tarapur, Borsad & Vasad, which connects with NH8 just before Baroda. For the rest, NH8.
Used to be a good road. Undivided but smooth and fast. Don't know current status, but not expected to have deteriorated majorly.
Old 16th November 2011, 12:14   #8
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Ranjit. Had to go to Jodhpur on 1st and took the Nasirabad route. Didn't like it. Got lost, crossed Army Cantonment on the way and it was a single lane right through to Kishangarh.

I do the Dargah darshan in flat 1 hour. Have my own Khadim there and a set parking place. I go to Jodhpur quite often and the visit is not complete without a darshan at Dargah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Your best option would be Ajmer-Nasirabad-NH76-Bhilwara-Chittor-Udaipur-Himmatnagar-Ahmedabad.

If you are intending to take a break at Ajmer for the dargah,it is going to be time-consuming and making it to Ahmedabad would be quite a tough task. The scene at the dargah is quite dynamic and time taken cannot be predicted at all.I would suggest that you park your car at the railway station and take a rickshaw to the top.The roads are narrow and parking is a big problem.
HVK, this friend whose daughter's wedding I am going to attend in "aamchi Mumbai", has a 6th floor flat in Daman. Had stayed there earlier too in 2006. Loved the place, the view from the balcony and most of all the delectable sea-food (yet to taste a better fare) at Gurukripa at Nani Daman.

Quote:

I don't know what you find attractive about Daman - it is simply a drunkard's haven and does not have any great beaches.

May I suggest Diu which is just 2-3 hours away from Sasaa Gir - and you can also call on the LOrd at Somnath en route. If more interested, you cna also visit some interesting places around like Girnar (Junagadh), Palitana (wow!) and Lothal.

In case you still insist on visiting Daman, may I suggest you go stay at Bordi, the small MH sea village a few kms further south - a nice quiet place with excellent Parsi food.

To get to Daman, you have to get back to NH8 south of Ahmedabad. The fastest route would be:

In case you wish to break your back on some bad roads and also take 2-laned roads (nostalgia?), you can take either of routes ex-Bagodara or direct from Sasan Gir via Bhavnagar to Tarapur, Borsad & Vasad, which connects with NH8 just before Baroda. For the rest, NH8.
Absolutely no confusion here Chinkara.. And thanks. Will touch base.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinkara View Post
Daman is close to Mumbai / Surat. Makes sense to visit it on the way to / from Mumbai.

Unless you are confusing Daman and Diu?

My parents stayed in some tents in Gir. I can ask. But I am sure you will have better (and more up to date) guides for that.
Disagree. Gurukripa looks the same as depicted on the website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Cant agree more on the Daman part.It is just so shabby and dirty and even the hotels and resorts are very shady and cheesy. None of the hotels that have pictures on their websites look the same in reality in Daman
Thanks Shom. Will touch base.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
The trip's 6 months away! Will talk to you about this in the meanwhile. Gir would be perfect in April for lion viewing. Gypsy/guide will be arranged!

Used to be a good road. Undivided but smooth and fast. Don't know current status, but not expected to have deteriorated majorly.
Old 16th November 2011, 13:27   #9
Senior - BHPian

Hai,

Just got to this: Welcome. My suggestions in Bold:

Quote:

Since dargha Darshan is a MUST DO activity for you,
Option 1 is best and fast. We can find you stay options in Udaipur / Ahmedabad, no problems, need to book in advance, let me know exact dates.

Question route options:

Day 2 - ETD 07:00: Ahmedabad to Gir via Rajkot & Junagarh.

3 days in the sanctuary with approx 6 safaris.

Question 1: Lodging options at Gir (preferably FRH), how do I book for the safaris & gypsies, any other useful related information?

Let me dig around, will come back to you with options.

Question 2: To proceed to Daman do I have to retrace my steps back to NH 8 at Ahmedabad or is there any decent route that connects me to NH 8 or to Daman?

Through Bhavnagar, Baroda, till Baroda interior Gujarat and from there NH8, 625 KM and 10 hours. Would be interesting and ... different than the fast wide roads, I would take this.

If you want to skip Daman
(as already suggested by experts and already expressed by you as a 'Nyet") I would also suggest again Somnath and Diu. If you want to extend it a little in the opposite direction, Dwaraka (Gurukripa Basic Hotel) Bet Dwaraka, Nageswaram with a Jyothirling with a great coastal drive from Somnath to Dwaraka through Porbandar.
ramkya1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2012, 20:53   #10
Senior - BHPian

ETD - Expected Travel Date

Now emerging as either 16th April or the 17th April. My daughter's last Class XIIth exam on 16th April. I could leave in the morning of 17th at 3 am, have a darshan at the Dargah Shareef and then proceed to Ahmedabad, expecting to reach there sometime in the evening and halt for the night.
Old 25th January 2012, 14:43   #11
BHPian

Quote:
ETD - Expected Travel Date

Now emerging as either 16th April or the 17th April. My daughter's last Class XIIth exam on 16th April. I could leave in the morning of 17th at 3 am, have a darshan at the Dargah Shareef and then proceed to Ahmedabad, expecting to reach there sometime in the evening and halt for the night.
It is possible to do Ahemdabad to Gurgaon with one night halt. We did this trip in 2001 on our Maruti 800, night halt at Jaipur.

Regarding Daman and Diu - definitely Diu. If you are in Gir, you should do also Somnath.

Stay in a Hotel near Somnath - go to visit the temple, if you have time - you should do it 2 times - once in the morning or afternoon for looking at the temple and architecture and stuff and then once in the evening around 7 pm - to see the grand aarti and followed by the sound and light show.

The plan should be (i did this trip in Feb 2011)-

1. 1 day full for Somnath - 2 trips like i mentioned above.
2. 1 day for Diu - you can goto Diu and come back the same day. Diu has good beaches and you can also find watersports like para sailing, etc on the beach. Have lunch in Diu and return back after lunch.
3. Next day goto Gir - it is only about 40 odd KMs from where you will stay. Stay there for a couple of days.

For Hotel near Somnath, check out the following link

:: Safari Resort Somnath ::

It is a decent place, nothing fancy - but their food is very good.
Old 25th January 2012, 20:25   #12
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Sachin. This is a very useful information. Regarding Daman & Diu, irrespective of whether I make it to Diu or not, Daman is a must do. Emotional connect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sach.sri View Post
It is possible to do Ahemdabad to Gurgaon with one night halt. We did this trip in 2001 on our Maruti 800, night halt at Jaipur.

Regarding Daman and Diu - definitely Diu. If you are in Gir, you should do also Somnath.

Stay in a Hotel near Somnath - go to visit the temple, if you have time - you should do it 2 times - once in the morning or afternoon for looking at the temple and architecture and stuff and then once in the evening around 7 pm - to see the grand aarti and followed by the sound and light show.

The plan should be (i did this trip in Feb 2011)-

1. 1 day full for Somnath - 2 trips like i mentioned above.
2. 1 day for Diu - you can goto Diu and come back the same day. Diu has good beaches and you can also find watersports like para sailing, etc on the beach. Have lunch in Diu and return back after lunch.
3. Next day goto Gir - it is only about 40 odd KMs from where you will stay. Stay there for a couple of days.

For Hotel near Somnath, check out the following link

:: Safari Resort Somnath ::

It is a decent place, nothing fancy - but their food is very good.
Old 8th February 2012, 11:51   #13
Senior - BHPian

The dates have been firmed - 17th April till 5th May, 2012. I have thought of adding some more destinations and hence I need a plan and your help in planning.

Departure from Gurgaon on 17th April at 3:00 am (can leave at 2:30 am also).

1st stop: Ajmer - darshan at the Dargah Shareef

2nd stop: Ahmedabad - night stay

18th April

Now here is the catch. Earlier I had thought of leaving Ahmedabad in the morning and reach Sasan Gir (340 Kms) sometime in the afternoon and take the noon safari and then go to Somnath (42 kms from Gir) in the evening for the evening aarti.

19th April

Morning safari and then again to Somnath for the morning aarti and back for the evening safari.

20th April

Again morning & evening safari (no Somnath).

21st April

To Dwaraka and back and visit Porbandar enroute. (possible?)

The confusion starts now. I want to do Diu, Chhota Rann & the Khijariya Bird Sanctuary and then reach Daman in time for lunch on the 25th. After lunch in Daman would head for Mumbai as I've functions to attend on 25th & 26th.

27th I would rest in Mumbai and then plan to head south (Bangalore) sometime in the early morning of 28th hoping to reach the same day and return to Gurgaon on 5th/6th after covering Ranganthittu, Mysore, Nanjangud, Kabini & Bandipur.

Is this possible and if yes then how and what is the best & simple plan. Also please suggest basic lodging options (Ac room & western bath) for a couple with extra bed. Can't think of anything else right now.

Last edited by gd1418 : 8th February 2012 at 11:52.
Old 8th February 2012, 12:16   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like you are already planning to fully utilize Bull-II once it arrives! My answers inline...
Quote:
18th April

Now here is the catch. Earlier I had thought of leaving Ahmedabad in the morning and reach Sasan Gir (340 Kms) sometime in the afternoon and take the noon safari and then go to Somnath (42 kms from Gir) in the evening for the evening aarti.

Doable. Safari would be over by 6pm, so you can reach Somnath by 7:00 pm. There will be daylight till 7:15 pm at least, in April. The aarti starts after sundown only.

19th April

Morning safari and then again to Somnath for the morning aarti and back for the evening safari.

What time is the morning aarti at Somnath? If you do the morning safari at Gir, it would be noon by the time you reach Somnath - and IIRC the temple is closed for some time in the afternoon.

20th April

Again morning & evening safari (no Somnath).

21st April

To Dwaraka and back and visit Porbandar enroute. (possible?)

Sasan to Dwarka and Beyt Dwarka would take the whole day, including the journey and darshan at both places. A stopover at Porbandar would add at least 2 hours to your schedule. By the time you get back to Sasan, it would be late evening, and you may face difficulties in getting to Sasan when passing the forest checkpost.

The confusion starts now. I want to do Diu, Chhota Rann & the Khijariya Bird Sanctuary and then reach Daman in time for lunch on the 25th. After lunch in Daman would head for Mumbai as I've functions to attend on 25th & 26th.

No way. Sasan to Daman is at least 7-8 hours, including the Narmada Bridge crossing which might hold you up for longer than you expect. You can expect to reach Daman onl in the late afternoon/evening even if you leave Sasan around 6-7 am.

27th I would rest in Mumbai and then plan to head south (Bangalore) sometime in the early morning of 28th hoping to reach the same day and return to Gurgaon on 5th/6th after covering Ranganthittu, Mysore, Nanjangud, Kabini & Bandipur.

1000km from Mumbai to Bangalore - push hard and you can do it in 12-14 hours, otherwise 15 hours is a more reasonable time.
Also please suggest basic lodging options (Ac room & western bath) for a couple with extra bed.

Where?
Old 8th February 2012, 12:21   #15
Senior - BHPian

You can drive through little rann on the way (search my old posts) to Abad from ajmer. Unless u wanna meet someone, abad is a bit of a diversion. Drive farther towards gir from viramgam itself. hotels will have to see. what level of hotel do u want? can check with friends there.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed