Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2011, 15:31   #1
BHPian

Bangalore to Tiruvalla for christmas

Dears,

I have heard about some rough patches in this route, would like to get a clear picture from team-bhp members. The route planned is Salem-Coimbatore-Trichur-Eranakulam-Alleppey-Changanassery-Tiruvalla; please advise if there are any alternatives? Have taken the Kambam-Theni route but considering the Sabarimala traffic, this may not be the good time to take a chance if the roads are poor ? Please voice your opinion/experience. Thanks for the help.
Old 22nd November 2011, 00:21   #2
BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Tiruvalla for christmas

I did Bangalore -Salem-Coimbatore-ernakulam-Allepey-Changanassery in 1stweek of November.

Blr - Avinashi :4 lane good road till Avinashi and should be able to do it in 4 hrs with decent speeds.

Avinashi -Coimbatore :4 lane work is in progress and hence you would need to go through diversions but overall decent road stretches and should take 1 to 1.5 hrs.

Coimbatore bypass: 2 lane road in good condition.

Coimbatore bypass to walayar stretch has god bad patches.

Walayar to Thirssur is a 2 lane road with decent road condition but occasional heavy traffic. This stretch should take 1.5 - 2 hrs.

Thrissur - Allepey : 4 lane road with good surface. Should be able to cover in 2.5 hrs ( including Traffic in Cochin)

Allepey - Changanaserry : good 2 lane road and should take 45 mins to 1 HR.
sureshurs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2011, 11:51   #3
BHPian

Hi Suresh,

Thanks for the update on the route to Tiruvalla, btw I heard of an alternate route which might be easy for the driver and Innova which is through NH7. Heard that we can take diversion from NH7 to Kollam from Doraiyur (through Sankarankovil-Thenkasi-Punalur-Kollam).

Any second opinion?

Thanks,
J

Passion for Road Trips: Thiruvananthapuram - Bangalore : The Fastest Route
Old 22nd November 2011, 17:56   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joommen View Post
btw I heard of an alternate route which might be easy for the driver and Innova which is through NH7. Heard that we can take diversion from NH7 to Kollam from Doraiyur (through Sankarankovil-Thenkasi-Punalur-Kollam).
If you're travelling to Thenkasi-Punalur-Kollam, you don't need to go via Sankarankovil - (Couldn't find Doraiyur on Google Maps, so not sure where this turnoff towards Sankarankoil-Tenkasi is, but I'd assume it would be around Kovilpatti). The more straightforward (and shorter) route is to get off NH7 from Tirumangalam (just after you byepass Madurai) and go via Rajapalayam to Tenkasi.

Also not sure if it makes too much of sense taking that route when your destination is Thiruvalla. (Too long a detour to go via Punalur-Kottarakkara ). In my opinion the fastest would still be Dindigul-Periyakulam-Theni-Cumbum- Kumily-Vazhoor-Karukachal-Thiruvalla. Yes, you might see quite a bit of Sabarimala traffic on NH220, but I don't think traffic would be any less on NH47 either. Once in Kerala, you can't expect to average more than 40-45kmph maximum, and by going through Kumily you'd be travelling a much shorter distance on Kerala roads.
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2011, 18:21   #5
Senior - BHPian

Going by last year's experience, you are going to see all highways leading to Kerala choked up whichever route you take - and this is not just Sabarimala traffic but traffic heading home for X'mas & New Year. Last year, starting Dec 23, I think crossing Walayar itself was quite a task, and I remember FB updates from many of our friends who were stuck in bumper-to-bumper jams for hours.

The route via Theni may be the best in such a situation since the NH47 route is likely to be the most popular.
Old 7th December 2011, 11:23   #6
BHPian

Hi Kala,

Thanks for the message.

I normally take the Coimbatore- Thrissur - Alleppey- Changanassery-Tiruvalla route but thought of an alternative considering the thick traffic (last year it was bumper-to-bumper traffic for a few hours in this route; for 4+ hrs after 23rd).

I am expecting a smooth drive, not a fast or very slow one. Is checking with some of my road warrior friends, to know the condition of Kozhikode-Cochin route also (to avoid the single lane traffic thru Thrissur).

Thanks,
J
Old 7th December 2011, 11:37   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
The route via Theni may be the best in such a situation since the NH47 route is likely to be the most popular.
Currently situation at Theni is not good. Just read about the Mullaperiyar agitation going on there at full swing. But hopefully things should improve down the month.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks