Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2011, 10:08   #16
BHPian

Re: Safest Road to Kerala per current conflict between TN & KL on the Mullaperiyar is

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkid View Post

Please do check if the Mullaperiyar issue is sorted out before leaving.
Things are really bad in this part of the country and jewellery shops belonging to Keralites have been smashed in Erode.
Was posted by coolkid (from coimbatore) in another thread, thought it was relevant here as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameshdude View Post
We are planning to travel from Kochi to Salem/Yercaud via Coimbatore on 23rd and return on 26th. My friend in Salem says,things are fine there. Let us hope things simmer down.
Things are definitely not ok in salem as of yesterday. I studied in salem and am still in touch with my juniors. All of non-TN regd cars have been stashed away in relatively safe places and non of them are being used to commute. All are using autos or call taxis.

Last edited by revintup : 17th December 2011 at 10:27.
Old 17th December 2011, 10:36   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: Safest Road to Kerala per current conflict between TN & KL on the Mullaperiyar is

Situation as of now is a little tense. KSRTC buses operations not normal. Cars not targetted as yet - but people here in Coimbatore and Palakkad are not taking any chances. You never know about rowdy elements.

I'll keep updating this thread on the news on Coimbatore-Walayar-Palakkad stretch, since am commuting daily
mallumowgli is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th December 2011, 12:36   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
I'll keep updating this thread on the news on Coimbatore-Walayar-Palakkad stretch, since am commuting daily
really appreciate updates from you on the current status

we're planning to drive down to Thrissur on the 19th and wanted to be sure if a drive through TN is safe. i'm kinda two minds about switching routes.

also, how're the roads (Coimbatore > Walayar > Palakkad)? too much traffic because of the road widening thingy?

afterthought: ours is a KA registered car.

Last edited by IronH4WK : 17th December 2011 at 12:46.
Old 17th December 2011, 13:04   #19
Team-BHP Support

I drove through Salem-CBE-Palakkad twice last week. Didn't see any problem, mine is a KA registered car though. But when tensions rise, goons don't really care, any non-TN car may be vandalized.
Old 17th December 2011, 21:43   #20
BHPian

I have not heard of any mishap, in Nagercovil-Trivandrum border, from my relatives in Trivandrum. So this route to enter Kerala seems to be safer.

Cheers...venks
Old 17th December 2011, 22:20   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I need to drive down from Chennai to Trivandrum on December 23rd night, and back to Chennai on 30th/ 31st. I will be taking the nagercoil route for the same. My car is KL registered.

Will a day journey be preferable, considering the current political climate? I would like to avoid wasting a day for driving, if possible.
I checked with my relatives in marthandam and they said that there is no such issues(attacking pvt/govt vehicles) in Kanyakumari Dist so far. Also, they said most of the sabarimala devotees are taking this route.
arun_josie is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2011, 10:25   #22
anb
BHPian

One KeralaSRTC bus was attacked near Marthandam yesterday.
Old 19th December 2011, 01:22   #23
BHPian

Thats nice to hear Mallumowgli! Your updates will be very valuable for the vacation commuters. Situation seems to be mellowing down, but the this week , especially the weekend can be sensitive because the antisocial elements can take advantage of the increase in vehicles crossing the borders. Hope there will not be any such issues. Updates on this forum from people travelling even in inter-state buses will be helpful.
Old 19th December 2011, 10:08   #24

I am planning to go for xmas from Bangalore to Kollam, this weekend. I have a KL regn. Situation did eased a bit, but still there were issues across the state and border last saturday.

I used to take Bangalore->Salem->Duindigul->Kumily route. The other option is BGLR->Salem->Coim->Palakkad route. I have all the ingredients to be concerned. A KL regn car, not a car pool, family.

So i think, the best option now is the take the Mysore->Bandipur route. Can someone update me on the condition of these roads?

I am sure there will be higher tension during the xmas- new year week as many will try to take advantage of it.

Help is highly appreciated.
Old 19th December 2011, 12:25   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jijojackson View Post
I am planning to go for xmas from Bangalore to Kollam, this weekend. I have a KL regn. Situation did eased a bit, but still there were issues across the state and border last saturday.

I used to take Bangalore->Salem->Duindigul->Kumily route. The other option is BGLR->Salem->Coim->Palakkad route. I have all the ingredients to be concerned. A KL regn car, not a car pool, family.

So i think, the best option now is the take the Mysore->Bandipur route. Can someone update me on the condition of these roads?

I am sure there will be higher tension during the xmas- new year week as many will try to take advantage of it.

Help is highly appreciated.
Mysore-Bandipur route will take you to TN via GUdalur.
Wha you are probably referring to is the Mysore-GUndulpet-Sultan's Battery route to Kozhikode. Please be aware that the Kalpetta-Thamaraserry ghat road is going to be closed from Jan 2 for 3 months of major repairs.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2011, 12:49   #26
BHPian

Situation is slowly getting tensed in southern stretch also.
According todays daily, there's some news about damaging vehicles near to Aryankavu also, some uneasy feeling there also.
Look into this link for details.
Deepika Latest Malayalam News: ????????????? ????????????? ??????????? ???? ???????
Old 19th December 2011, 13:11   #27
Senior - BHPian

Right now we're 40km from Palakkad on the Coimbatore bypass. Just stopped at Gowrishankar veg restaurant for a quick lunch. Will update how the situation is at the border once we cross over.
IronH4WK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2011, 13:14   #28
BHPian

I am planning on traveling through Tamil Nadu with family this week. I would be taking Coimbatore- Salem - Virudhachalam- Chidambaram- Sirkazhi- Karakkal - Velankanni. Since the start of the Mulleperiayar issue i am bit apprehensive on this travel but then i am lost of ideas as to how to make it. I am looking forward to information on Road condition and team members who stay around these areas to share their numbers with me in the event of an emergency. I would be traveling on the 23rd evening and would be driving throughout the night. The catch is the Kerala registration vehicle
Old 19th December 2011, 13:40   #29
BHPian

Didn't realise it was this bad till I check tbhp.

Like @jijo, i am also planning to travel in a KL-regn car into Kerala either this weekend or the next weekend. Driving to Trivandrum via Salem -> Madurai -> Nagarcoil. PLease advise if I should do that or drive through Mysore -> Gudalore -> S/Bathery -> Calicut and beyond.

BH.
Old 19th December 2011, 16:05   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK
Right now we're 40km from Palakkad on the Coimbatore bypass. Just stopped at Gowrishankar veg restaurant for a quick lunch. Will update how the situation is at the border once we cross over.
Ok. Reached Thrissur 10mins back. Absolutely no issues at the border; no protests or agitation. No problems at Walayar except for the dump trucks blocking the road trying to find a parking. For now.

There was a KL 46 car that passed before me and couple of others too (for those worried about the KL registration part)

Btw, NH47 is really pathetic once you enter Kerala. Certain sections I couldn't go above 40kmph. And oh, since the road is undivided, people try all sorts of stunts to overtake. Be very very careful! Not kidding.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks