Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2011, 16:11   #31
Team-BHP Support

Re: Safest Road to Kerala per current conflict between TN & KL on the Mullaperiyar is

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
Btw, NH47 is really pathetic once you enter Kerala. Certain sections I couldn't go above 40kmph. And oh, since the road is undivided, people try all sorts of stunts to overtake. Be very very careful! Not kidding.
What? I thought the road was absolutely crappy between CBE and KL border, it gets better once entering KL. I drove that section just 10 days back.
Old 19th December 2011, 16:25   #32
BHPian

Re: Safest Road to Kerala per current conflict between TN & KL on the Mullaperiyar is

Quote:
Ok. Reached Thrissur 10mins back. Absolutely no issues at the border; no protests or agitation. No problems at Walayar except for the dump trucks blocking the road trying to find a parking. For now.

There was a KL 46 car that passed before me and couple of others too (for those worried about the KL registration part)

Btw, NH47 is really pathetic once you enter Kerala. Certain sections I couldn't go above 40kmph. And oh, since the road is undivided, people try all sorts of stunts to overtake. Be very very careful! Not kidding.

Finally something to look forward to. i think the situation is being hyped by the media and some people who has vested political interest. Are there any buses plying across from either sides of the state? Any cars? Please do share us any more information it would be reassuring for them.
Old 19th December 2011, 16:31   #33
Senior - BHPian

Update : There has not been any untoward incident on the Coimbatore - Palakkad stretch till Sunday night.I think this stretch is safe as of now. But cant say the same regarding the interiors of TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
What? I thought the road was absolutely crappy between CBE and KL border, it gets better once entering KL. I drove that section just 10 days back.
IronH4wk may be referring to the section between Palakkad and Trichur. Was there any offroad meet here in or around Palakkad?

Quote:
Finally something to look forward to. i think the situation is being hyped by the media and some people who has vested political interest. Are there any buses plying across from either sides of the state? Any cars? Please do share us any more information it would be reassuring for them
Yes the media is not helping.
TNSTC buses are plying normally. As of sunday, KSRTC buses were operating in convoy

Last edited by mallumowgli : 19th December 2011 at 16:34.
Old 19th December 2011, 20:08   #34

I read in today's newspaper of stone pelting at KSRTC bus in Coimbatore- Palaghat road. But as most of us said, media might be hyping it up. But to be safe, I will keep my ears & eyes open till 22 morning. Because, those miscreants know that the best time to cause panic is this & next weekend, due to xmas and new year. If the situation is stable till 22 evening, i shall leave at 1800 via coimbatore, else next day 0300 hrs via mysore.
Really dont want a shattered windshield or anything worse.
Old 19th December 2011, 20:16   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningHeart View Post
Didn't realise it was this bad till I check tbhp.

Like @jijo, i am also planning to travel in a KL-regn car into Kerala either this weekend or the next weekend. Driving to Trivandrum via Salem -> Madurai -> Nagarcoil. PLease advise if I should do that or drive through Mysore -> Gudalore -> S/Bathery -> Calicut and beyond.

BH.
I suggest you keep your plan dynamic. Have contingency plan. Wait till the last day to decide your route. If things turn violent overnight, we can always use Plan B. But if the situation is calm till then, then lets take coimbatore route and hope for the best.
Old 19th December 2011, 20:52   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
as the Coimbatore bypass comes to end the road gets a bit out of shape. there are a few diversions too. once you cross Walayar, the road condition just gets worse. there are a few good patches, but key word is few.

lemme show you an example:

Safest Road to Kerala per current conflict between TN & KL on the Mullaperiyar issue-_mg_3338.jpg

what vehicle were you driving?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majic View Post
Finally something to look forward to. i think the situation is being hyped by the media and some people who has vested political interest. Are there any buses plying across from either sides of the state? Any cars? Please do share us any more information it would be reassuring for them.
vehicles are plying normally. i even saw many Ayyappa devotees heading towards Sabarimala.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
IronH4wk may be referring to the section between Palakkad and Trichur. Was there any offroad meet here in or around Palakkad?
CBE > PKD > TCR (refer to above picture)
Old 20th December 2011, 07:12   #37

I travelled yesterday(19th Dec) day time(7 am start from blr) in Blr-Bandipur-Nilambur-Cochin route. There was no issue yesterday in this route. Saw lot of KL vehicles in Gudalur. Mine was KA registered Scorpio. Though I used to go on high speed usually, today I put max 100 till Kerala Border. But inside Kerala roads were not good( in perinthalmanna-pattambi area) compared to rest of the route. So if travelling in this route expect delay. I took 10.5hrs driving time with lot of traffic in Vadakanchery, Perinthalmanna area. When asked about the proposed road blocks and agitations in border area, the hotel guy told none of the residents have got any odea on the so called blocks or agitations in that route. I visit this hotel in all my trips on this route in Vazhikkadavu. In this trip I did not stop for tea/breaks in between other than breakfast in Lokaruchi and Vazhikkadavu.
- Sunil
Old 20th December 2011, 12:34   #38
Senior - BHPian

guys, if travelling through Tamil Nadu i would suggest not to take shortcuts (inner roads) to get to Kerala. there is more possibility of problems cropping up here than when you stick to the NH. IMO.
Old 20th December 2011, 12:45   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
As far as I saw, the road between KL border to Palakkad was decent, and then to Shoranur was pretty good. No offroad meet, I was visiting Shoranur on a personal errand.

Quote:
what vehicle were you driving?
The Grand Vitara with my entire family.
Old 20th December 2011, 13:00   #40
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday all State transport buses, Kerala and TN have stopped plying, lots of Ayyappa devotees are stuck. Reportedly trains are going chocked. Keep an ear to the ground before travel and check for blockages, I feel border problems would increase from now on.

TN politicians needed a issue to be in the news, they got it and are not gonna let go.

--Ramky
=======
ramkya1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2011, 13:09   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
Yesterday all State transport buses, Kerala and TN have stopped plying, lots of Ayyappa devotees are stuck. Reportedly trains are going chocked. Keep an ear to the ground before travel and check for blockages, I feel border problems would increase from now on.

TN politicians needed a issue to be in the news, they got it and are not gonna let go.

--Ramky
=======
This is right. TN & Kerala RTCs are stopping their services at the border at Valayar. The decision has been taken due to stone pelting incidents against the buses in both the states. The anti-nationalist Vaiko's party has already announced a road blockade of all routes to Kerala tomorrow.

KeSRTC has started diverting some services from Bangalore via Kozhikode (Calicut).
lloydofcochin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2011, 14:10   #42
BHPian

Anyone riding to Trivandrum on Saturday, 24th early morning ( planning to start around 4 AM ) ? I would be starting from Marathahalli , maybe we can join on the way and go as a group.

Taking the below route :
Bangalore - Krishnagiri - Salem - Madurai - Tirunelveli - Nagercoil - Trivandrum.

If anyone is planning the same route and at the same time, PM me so that we can sync up.
Old 20th December 2011, 14:42   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydofcochin View Post
The anti-nationalist Vaiko's party has already announced a road blockade of all routes to Kerala tomorrow.
Blockade is only for one day or will it continue will Xmas?

Maximum kerala bound traffic will be on 23rd and 24th.
Old 20th December 2011, 15:04   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post

--Ramky
=======
this is new development; saw it this morning in The Hindu too. when i crossed over yesterday i did see TN buses passing through Walayar and visa versa. i also saw KSRTC buses plying too.

it is really sad ordinary people are inconvenienced to fain political mileage.

Quote:
As far as I saw, the road between KL border to Palakkad was decent, and then to Shoranur was pretty good.
aha! i took the Palakkad bypass
Old 20th December 2011, 15:42   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArunV View Post
Blockade is only for one day or will it continue will Xmas?

Maximum kerala bound traffic will be on 23rd and 24th.
Now that's a million Dollar question!

It would all depend on how Vaiko's vandals behave. The last time they had a similar blockade at the Coimbatore border in May, 2010 they did cause some serious damage to Kerala bound vehicles. If they resort to violence tomorrow things could take a turn for the worse and the blockade might get extended or could cause serious traffic jams near Walayar.

Let's hope that things would cool off but the signals are not encouraging since there is a lot of misinformation being spread in TN and there are reports that the TN Police lower brass have been going soft on the miscreants even with strict instructions from the top brass to take firm action against them.

Keeping my fingers crossed and hope better sense will prevail. As of now I would recommend the Wayanad route only.

OT - My friend drove from Chennai to Cochin and crossed Walayar in the morning with a set of fake TN number plates (Illegal, but a smart thing to do considering the situation)

Some buses damaged on the Thenmala - Thenkasi route. Read here - http://ibnlive.in.com/news/protester...70-60-116.html

Last edited by lloydofcochin : 20th December 2011 at 15:45.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks