Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2011, 11:09   #61
BHPian

Re: Safest Road to Kerala per current conflict between TN & KL on the Mullaperiyar is

@neutralgrey thanks for the confirmation

This is the route i'm planning to take if vaiko's vandals are still at it on 24th (Mysuru, Karnataka to Thrissur, Kerala - Google Maps), otherwise, the salem coimbatore palghat route looks the better option.
Old 22nd December 2011, 11:44   #62
Senior - BHPian

Re: Safest Road to Kerala per current conflict between TN & KL on the Mullaperiyar is

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutralgrey View Post
Yes, this Mukkam-Areekode-Manjeri route is good. My friend visited Shabarimala last week.

@blrboy: Here is the Google map route
Looks like the URL you've provided shows the route through Sulthan Bathery-Cherambady-Nadugani-Nilambur-Melattur-Mannarkkad ??

The correct route through Areekkod-Manjeri would be Bengaluru, Karnataka to Palakkad, Kerala - Google Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemlock View Post
@neutralgrey thanks for the confirmation

This is the route i'm planning to take if vaiko's vandals are still at it on 24th (Mysuru, Karnataka to Thrissur, Kerala - Google Maps), otherwise, the salem coimbatore palghat route looks the better option.
I'd suggest a slight alteration to that route. From Pattambi, go to Perumbilavu-Akkikkavu-Kecheri-Trichur. The distance would be the same, and you don't risk being stuck at the Wadakkancheri level crossing for 10-15 minutes (I took the Shoranur-Wadakkancheri-Trichur road twice in the past 6 months and got stuck at the level crossing both times for about 15-20 minutes each)

Last edited by kala : 22nd December 2011 at 11:52. Reason: Added response to hemlock
Old 22nd December 2011, 12:05   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmessiah View Post
I am from Manjeri and can suggest the best route and the shortest is as Kala has posted. Thamarasherry>Areakode>Melatoor>Mannarghat. The roads have been repaired recently and its good to drive and is scenic all the way. Enjoy you drive this vacation season
Thank you.

I also heard that going via Nilambur is also a good option?

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks
Old 22nd December 2011, 12:13   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blrboy View Post
Thank you.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks
Going via Nilambur involves passing through TN whichever way you come.

If coming via Gundlupet-Gudalur, you cross from Karnataka into TN after Bandipur and then cross the TN-Kerala border a little after Nadugani.

If the route is Gundlupet-Sulthan Bathery-Nilambur, you cross from Karnataka to Kerala at Moolehole, then Kerala to TN at Cherambadi and then back from TN to Kerala at the same border CP at Nadugani.
Old 22nd December 2011, 12:16   #65
BHPian

How are the trains running? Any issues heard?
Old 22nd December 2011, 12:26   #66
Senior - BHPian

Going to Thrissur tomorrow by car.

Route planned.
Chennai - Vellore - Salem - Coimbatore - Pallakad - Thrissur.

Since we will be travelling in a TN registered car, I don't think we will encounter any problem till Coimbatore. Hoping that the trip will go peacefully without any incidents.
Old 22nd December 2011, 12:30   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blrboy View Post
Thank you.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks
You are Welcome Blrboy.

There is a road from Areakode to Nilambur. Not sure of the condition of the road.The other option is Gudalur>Nadugani>Vazhikadavu>Edakkara>Nilambur>Man jeri. But this route is best avoided due to obvious reasons.
Old 22nd December 2011, 12:37   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Going via Nilambur involves passing through TN whichever way you come.

If coming via Gundlupet-Gudalur, you cross from Karnataka into TN after Bandipur and then cross the TN-Kerala border a little after Nadugani.

If the route is Gundlupet-Sulthan Bathery-Nilambur, you cross from Karnataka to Kerala at Moolehole, then Kerala to TN at Cherambadi and then back from TN to Kerala at the same border CP at Nadugani.
Ok..I am taking the Manjeri route only to avoid going thru TN.

So Nilambur is not a good option..

Thanks,
Old 22nd December 2011, 12:47   #69
BHPian

What are the possible options to go to Thrissur through Mysore?

Howz the road condition if we take Mysore -> Kozhikode -> Kuttipuram -> Thrissur?
Old 22nd December 2011, 12:52   #70
BHPian

We 10 guys are going to Munnar this weeekend. Leaving from Bangalore around 4PM and hoping to pass the TN-KL border by morning 5. Assuming that at night there would not be any tensions at the border. Any thoughts guys?

Route we have decided for now is - Blore > KrishnaGiri > Salem > Coimbatore > Munnar.

Backup route if things get nasty by the time we leave then Plan B - Blore > Mysore > SultanBatheri > Munnar (knowing its 150 Kms extra).

Any coimbatore guys can advise, if it is good to pass the border overnight???

Thanks,
Rashith
Old 22nd December 2011, 12:57   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Going to Thrissur tomorrow by car.

Route planned.
Chennai - Vellore - Salem - Coimbatore - Pallakad - Thrissur.

Since we will be travelling in a TN registered car, I don't think we will encounter any problem till Coimbatore. Hoping that the trip will go peacefully without any incidents.
Please find out about the situation on the ground. My friend told me an acquaintance's TN registered car was stoned in Palakkad yesterday.

Maybe, things have coolled, but unemployed vandals are unpredictable.They stop cars and check the RC book to confirm you haven't changed the plates. The risk is still there.
Old 22nd December 2011, 13:15   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmessiah View Post
....The other option is Gudalur>Nadugani>Vazhikadavu>Edakkara>Nilambur>Man jeri. But this route is best avoided due to obvious reasons.
I have to reach Kottayam this weekend. I am going by this route via Nilambur on 25th morning. From there, I plan to go to Perinthalmanna> Shornur>Thrissur>Muvatupuzha>Kottayam. Hope things will be fine with a KA regd car.
Old 22nd December 2011, 13:28   #73
Senior - BHPian

My friend is traveling from Bangalore to Angamaly and just reached Kalpetta. Locals there advised him NOT to take Gudalur route as there are some issues.
Old 22nd December 2011, 14:51   #74
BHPian

^ How is the road condition? All the way from Bangalore?
Is it OK to start driving at night?
Old 22nd December 2011, 15:10   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Sadly, the situation in Gudaloor has deteriorated much.. Today the shops are all closed the people are waiting for Kerala registration vehicles. :(

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks