Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2011, 15:38   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs
Sadly, the situation in Gudaloor has deteriorated much.. Today the shops are all closed the people are waiting for Kerala registration vehicles. :(
Is this the Gudaloor in the north our the Gudaloor near the dam site?
Old 22nd December 2011, 15:38   #77
BHPian

Re: Safest Road to Kerala per current conflict between TN & KL on the Mullaperiyar is

I am planning to drive from Bangalore to Trivandrum on 24th, via Salem, Madurai, Thirunalveli, Nagarcoil. Can I expect the NH till Nagarcoil to be block free? Any news on the entry into Kerala thru Nagarcoil? Will be in a KA reg car.

Gears,
Red-One.
Old 22nd December 2011, 15:40   #78
BHPian

Re: Safest Road to Kerala per current conflict between TN & KL on the Mullaperiyar is

hi
i am planning to drive to Kerala from bangalore on 23rd early morning. I was planning to go via Coiambatore. Since the issue started i am thinking of going Via nillambur. Now i am really confrused on the route to take. this is the first time i am going to kerala by road. I woul be travelling with my family. please suggest the best route
Old 22nd December 2011, 15:46   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaganm View Post
Is this the Gudaloor in the north our the Gudaloor near the dam site?
I think he is referring to Gudalur on the GUndulpet-Ooty/Nilambur/Kalpetta route, which saw hartals today too. The town is deserted and no KL vehicle is in sight, even as all shops remained closed. This route was being explored as an alternative to get to Nilambur from Mysore side.

The other Gudalur - in the Then-Kumili route (via Kambam) is also in trouble anyway since that route is closed to traffic for last few days. Theni region is also observing hartal today.
Old 22nd December 2011, 15:46   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Looks like the URL you've provided shows the route through Sulthan Bathery-Cherambady-Nadugani-Nilambur-Melattur-Mannarkkad ??

The correct route through Areekkod-Manjeri would be Bengaluru, Karnataka to Palakkad, Kerala - Google Maps

I'd suggest a slight alteration to that route. From Pattambi, go to Perumbilavu-Akkikkavu-Kecheri-Trichur. The distance would be the same, and you don't risk being stuck at the Wadakkancheri level crossing for 10-15 minutes (I took the Shoranur-Wadakkancheri-Trichur road twice in the past 6 months and got stuck at the level crossing both times for about 15-20 minutes each)
Kala,
do you know if the route you suggested is good all the way to thrissur ?

Last edited by hemlock : 22nd December 2011 at 16:10. Reason: Quoted wrong
Old 22nd December 2011, 16:15   #81
BHPian

How is road condition in Mysore-Gundalpet-Calicut section? Is it night-drivable?
Old 22nd December 2011, 16:25   #82
Senior - BHPian

Any latest updates regarding trouble, traffic and time taken to reach Trivandrum from Nagercoil?

I will take this road on 26th or 27th of this month. Hope everything goes well on this route atleast.
Old 22nd December 2011, 16:47   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
Any latest updates regarding trouble, traffic and time taken to reach Trivandrum from Nagercoil?

I will take this road on 26th or 27th of this month. Hope everything goes well on this route atleast.
The situation will be either clear or worst by 26th as most of traffic to KL will be on or before 25th. Since you are traveling after 26/27th, watch for latest news and decide.
Old 22nd December 2011, 17:33   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomRider View Post
^ How is the road condition? All the way from Bangalore?
Is it OK to start driving at night?
Quote:
How is road condition in Mysore-Gundalpet-Calicut section? Is it night-drivable?
Anyone? Any help 'd be appreciated. Need to drive tonight or tomorrow early morning.
Old 22nd December 2011, 17:38   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Sadly, the situation in Gudaloor has deteriorated much.. Today the shops are all closed the people are waiting for Kerala registration vehicles. :(
Is it relatively safe if one has a KA registration vehicle? I hope the situation calms down soon.
Old 22nd December 2011, 17:40   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anyone? Any help 'd be appreciated. Need to drive tonight or tomorrow early morning.
Mysore-Gundlupet-Calicut road passes through reserve forests with night traffic ban between 9PM and 6AM. Heard that road surface is broken in many areas with lots of winding roads. Expect extremely heavy slow moving traffic with trucks and buses who will use this as the alternate route to enter Kerala during festival season.

I planned to go through this initially but still not decided since its a long way which may take a very a long time to reach the destination. The only advantage as of now is that it will surely be safe since it does not touch TN.

Last edited by vasoo : 22nd December 2011 at 17:44.
vasoo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2011, 17:41   #87
BHPian

I am planning to start from bangalore tonight. I checked with the local folks in Palakkad there seems to be no problems reported today. I plan to take Walayar route. Plan to enter kerala border around 2 -3 am in the morning. Hopefully things are alright. Will update after i reach tomorrow.
Old 22nd December 2011, 18:48   #88
BHPian

Quote:
The best option as of now is Mysore-Sultan Bathery-Calicut. Night drive is not possible as the Bandipur reserved forest section is closed from 9PM to 6AM. There is an alternate route. Check this post
Old 22nd December 2011, 19:06   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
The best option as of now is Mysore-Sultan Bathery-Calicut. Night drive is not possible as the Bandipur reserved forest section is closed from 9PM to 6AM. There is an alternate route. Check this post
If you can help it, try to avoid the Gonikoppal-Kutta route at night, some stretches on this road are real bad and you'd face a lot of bus traffic at night. Would be a much better idea to start very early in the morning so as to enter the forest road as soon as it opens.

Road conditions otherwise are quite OK now except for some hairpins at the Thamarassery ghats which are potholed.
Old 22nd December 2011, 19:14   #90
BHPian

Hi sridharp77, I am waiting for your update as I am going to start to Angamaly Saturday early morning with 2 small kids on board...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks