Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2011, 16:03   #1
BHPian

Chennai - Chikmangalur

Hi Folks,

I am planning to go for a drive from chennai to chikmangalur starting on Wednesday night or Thursday early morning.

I would like the experts to guide me on the route to take and the must see places in Chikmagalur.

Also, my aunt and uncle would drive down from Neyveli and so we would need a common meeting spot as well so that we can convoy from there.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Old 26th December 2011, 16:21   #2
BHPian

Re: Chennai - Chikmangalur

Route for Chennai ---> Chikmagalur

Chennai ---> Vellore ---> Krishnagiri ---> Hosur ---> Nice Road ---> Nelamangala ---> Kunigal ---> Channarayapattna ---> Hassan ---> Belur ---> Chikmagalur.

Rendezvous Point for both teams would be Krishnagiri.

Route for Neyveli ---> Krishnagiri

Neyveli ---> Panruti ---> Arasur Koot Road ---> Tirukovilur ---> Thiruvannamalai ---> Krishnagiri.

I would personally advice you to start at around 4 - 4.30 in the morning. The journey should take no more than 12 hours depending upon your driving speed/style.

Regarding places to see in Chigmagalur, I am dont have much knowledge. I have driven through Chikmagalur many times, never stayed there.

Last edited by Archish : 26th December 2011 at 16:24.
Archish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2011, 16:29   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archish View Post
Route for Chennai ---> Chikmagalur

Chennai ---> Vellore ---> Krishnagiri ---> Hosur ---> Nice Road ---> Nelamangala ---> Kunigal ---> Channarayapattna ---> Hassan ---> Belur ---> Chikmagalur.

Rendezvous Point for both teams would be Krishnagiri.

Route for Neyveli ---> Krishnagiri

Neyveli ---> Panruti ---> Arasur Koot Road ---> Tirukovilur ---> Thiruvannamalai ---> Krishnagiri.

I would personally advice you to start at around 4 - 4.30 in the morning. The journey should take no more than 12 hours depending upon your driving speed/style.

Regarding places to see in Chigmagalur, I am dont have much knowledge. I have driven through Chikmagalur many times, never stayed there.
Thats the suggestion i was looking for.Thank you so much. Also, google maps was showing the other route via mulbagal kolar tumkur.I do not want to take this route as i know crossing tumkur would be a pain.

Driving style is maitaining 100 on the highway mostly without giving a race to anyone.
Old 26th December 2011, 16:58   #4
Senior - BHPian

I would second the route Archish has posted. This is the fastest route. Even if you take the Old Madras Road (Chittoor-Mulbagal-Kolar) to reach Bangalore, it will be easier and faster to go via Hassan-Belur rather than Tumkur.

Near Chikmagalur, you can visit Mullianagiri which is the tallest point in Karnataka, Bababudangiri, Kemmangundi (all in the hills), Muthodi (Bhadra Tiger Reserve). It would help if you can say where you are staying and for how many days so that it can help me to suggest some places.
Old 26th December 2011, 17:07   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind84 View Post
Thats the suggestion i was looking for.Thank you so much. Also, google maps was showing the other route via mulbagal kolar tumkur.I do not want to take this route as i know crossing tumkur would be a pain.

Driving style is maitaining 100 on the highway mostly without giving a race to anyone.

The Tiruvannamalai-Krishnagiri section of NH66 would be a nightmare and back-breaking. Better to go via Arcot.

Neyveli-Panruti-Vikravandi-Tindivanam-Sothupakkam-Vandavasi-Cheyyar-Arcot-Krishnagiri.

Route : link

There is a hotel Aryas along with cafe coffee day (CCD) near Pallikonda.
That can also be a meeting point.

Last edited by ampere : 26th December 2011 at 17:19.
Old 26th December 2011, 17:15   #6
BHPian

Hi,

How good is the Silent valley resort in Chikmagalur. The website looks all too good but the reviews in Trip advisor does not suggest so.
Old 26th December 2011, 18:05   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The Tiruvannamalai-Krishnagiri section of NH66 would be a nightmare and back-breaking. Better to go via Arcot.

Neyveli-Panruti-Vikravandi-Tindivanam-Sothupakkam-Vandavasi-Cheyyar-Arcot-Krishnagiri.
Man... That is one hell of a route you have suggested. Dont get me wrong or personally. I travel these routes almost every other week. Thats almost 350+ kms man.

Thiruvannamalai to Krishnagiri is about 100 odd kms about 50% of it is ok, 25% good and 25% is below average, I think its manageable not back breaking. And If they want a smoother ride and dont mind extra kms then I suggest Neyveli ---> Virudachalam ---> Ulundurpettai ---> Chinna Salem ---> Salem ---> Dharmapuri ---> Krishnagiri. This would work upto 300 kms and is 99% good roads.
Old 26th December 2011, 18:19   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Man... That is one hell of a route you have suggested. Dont get me wrong or personally. I travel these routes almost every other week. Thats almost 350+ kms man.

Thiruvannamalai to Krishnagiri is about 100 odd kms about 50% of it is ok, 25% good and 25% is below average, I think its manageable not back breaking. And If they want a smoother ride and dont mind extra kms then I suggest Neyveli ---> Virudachalam ---> Ulundurpettai ---> Chinna Salem ---> Salem ---> Dharmapuri ---> Krishnagiri. This would work upto 300 kms and is 99% good roads.
Archish,

I agree to what you say. Its about 90km more than the NH66 and would end up 350+.
But given that they would be travelling another 250km more beyond Bangalore,
I thought this is much more stress free. On the TVM-Krishnagiri stretch its about 120 km which every other instant one needs to slow down.

Also most folks driving to Pondicherry from Bangalore, now prefer to go via Arcot/Cheyyar. It was only from that angle I suggested this option.

There is one more option:

Come down till Tiruvannamalai from Tindivanam. Take the Harur road and hit Karimangalam via Morrapur. This also is much better road.
Old 26th December 2011, 18:38   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Also most folks driving to Pondicherry from Bangalore, now prefer to go via Arcot/Cheyyar. It was only from that angle I suggested this option.
Thats right man. This route holds good for Pondicherry. But Neyveli is a totally different route. And I think Tiruvannamalai ---> Krishnagiri route would be the best, again, its not soo bad. Me too considering that they have another 200 odd kms to go or the Salem route would be best considering quality of the road.

And for folks From Bengaluru to Pondicherry, I suggest, Bengaluru ---> Krishnagiri ---> Vellore ---> Polur ---> Thiruvannamalai ---> Tindivanam ---> Pondicherry. Vellore ---> Polur ---> Thiruvannamalai is simply brilliant. It works around only 400 kms and its good road all the way. I really dont understand why folks take the longer route.
Old 26th December 2011, 19:00   #10
Team-BHP Support

[quote=Archish;2622847
And for folks From Bengaluru to Pondicherry, I suggest, Bengaluru ---> Krishnagiri ---> Vellore ---> Polur ---> Thiruvannamalai ---> Tindivanam ---> Pondicherry. Vellore ---> Polur ---> Thiruvannamalai is simply brilliant. It works around only 400 kms and its good road all the way. I really dont understand why folks take the longer route.[/QUOTE]

@Archish.

Here is the route break-up:

Option 1: Via Vellore/TVM: (414)
route link: option 1

Option 2: Via Arcot:

Option 2 via Arcot Route Link

Both of them work out to be same. But the fact that you get to drive on 4L for a longer distance,
most folks from Bangalore prefer the Arcot option.

Also what you mention about Neyveli is true. I read some time back, that Paruti-Thirukkoyilur-TV-Malai is a very good SH.
So I think, they should take the Harur-Morrappur-Karimangalam option. Why I stress on this is because even recently
I read members mentioning about Chengam road being a pain.

As you say the road may not be all that bad. But just the uncertainty of when a pothole would appear when driving at 70-80,
makes it difficult to drive on this stretch.

Link to Harur route option: route link

Ref: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2556999

Last edited by ampere : 26th December 2011 at 19:05.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks