Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2011, 15:54   #1
BHPian

Chennai - Masinagudi route

Hi all,

I am planning to drive down from chennai to masinagudi . Planning to start around 4 AM from Chennai.

I would need suggestions on the route to take along with some key route maps.

I hear about chennai - thoppur - sathyamangalam - gudalur - masinagudi

How is the route and how to identify the turn from dharmapuri towards this thoppur road?
Old 27th December 2011, 18:09   #2
BHPian

Re: Chennai - masinagudi route

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 27th December 2011 at 19:50.
aravind84 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 27th December 2011, 18:16   #3
Team-BHP Support

Any reasons to go via Dharmapuri?
If you dont want to drive through ghats, you should go via Bangalore.

Chennai-Krishnagiri-Bangalore-Ecity-NICE Road-Mysore-Nanjangud-Gndupet-Bandipur-Masinagudi. You get 4L all the way till Mysore.

Beyond Mysore its a very decent 2L NH212. Beyond Bandipur, at about 10km, you hit Theppakadu from where you turn left to reach Masinagudi.

Route : link

Last edited by GTO : 27th December 2011 at 19:51. Reason: Thread bump has been deleted
Old 27th December 2011, 18:46   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere

Any reasons to go via Dharmapuri?
If you dont want to drive through ghats, you should go via Bangalore.

Chennai-Krishnagiri-Bangalore-Ecity-NICE Road-Mysore-Nanjangud-Gndupet-Bandipur-Masinagudi. You get 4L all the way till Mysore.

Beyond Mysore its a very decent 2L NH212. Beyond Bandipur, at about 10km, you hit Theppakadu from where you turn left to reach Masinagudi.

Route : link
The reason for via dharmapuri is one of my family member an team will join us at sathyamangalam and it is closer for them than Bangalore route
Old 27th December 2011, 19:06   #5
Senior - BHPian

I havent done this route recently, but when I did it about an year back, the roads were in excellent shape. I'm a bit apprehensive about the thoppur-mettur-ammapettai stretch post monsoon's, but fairly confident of good roads thereafter. You will bypass coimbatore by taking the coimbatore-sathy road and the drive will also be pretty good with some sweeping curves all through. If I recollect right, you can go through salem and join the coimbatore-sathy road at some place (bhavani? cant recollect exactly now - check google maps, it will give you the exact details)

You would have to touch ooty to get down at masinagudi and I suggest you to take the kalhatti route from ooty to masinagudi. Its much shorter than the regular gudalur route and you will be climbing down 36 steep hair pin bends, driving this route is an experience in itself.

Last edited by bala80 : 27th December 2011 at 19:10.
Old 27th December 2011, 19:07   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80
I havent done this route recently, but when I did it about an year back, the roads were in excellent shape. I'm a bit apprehensive about the mettur-bhavani stretch post monsoon's so will suggest you to take the salem - bhavani route instead of this.

You would have to touch ooty to get down at masinagudi and I suggest you to take the kalhatti route from ooty to masinagudi. Its much shorter than the regular gudalur route and you will be climbing down 36 steep hair pin bends, driving this route is an experience in itself.
Thanks Bala for the suggestion but the issue is I do not want to do the ghat section.
Old 27th December 2011, 20:02   #7
BHPian

Re: Chennai - Masinagudi route

1. You cannot avoid the ghat section. You still have to cross Ooty if you intend to travel to Masinagudi via Ooty from Satyamangalam. So you would need to climb up to Ooty from Metupalayam and climb down either via Gudalur or via Kalhatty. The climb down via Kalhatti would be easier (from distance point of view) as long as you are comfortable doing ghat sections which you anyway would be, by climbing Ooty.

2. From Thoppur (ghat section) there are sign boards clearly marked to road for Mettur. Beyond Mettur you would need to be careful for turns from each town to reach Satyamanglam via Ammapettai, Andhiyur. Be aware that this ghat section is more tricky then others as you need to be absolutely careful of the speeds that you can carry in turns and not be fooled by 4 lane highways.

Last edited by DWind : 27th December 2011 at 20:07.
Old 28th December 2011, 06:22   #8
Senior - BHPian

Not sure if it is too late for you.

There are two ways of doing it but both would involve driving on ghat roads with different levels of intensity.

The first one is what most people suggest, going via Ooty and climbing down. You can have a couple of options in this by either opting to take a detour to Mettur just after Thoppur or continue onto Salem, Bhavani and take a detour to Sathamangalam. I think the first option is an OK one with some rough stretches between Thoppur and Ammapettai. This route involves two stretches of ghat driving, climbing up to Ooty and climbing down to Masinagudi / Gudalur, depending on police restrictions at Thalaikundha Jn.

The second one also involves the same route upto Sathyamangalam, but instead of going via Ooty you can continue to Chamrajnagar via Dimbam ghats. This route has a few advantages over going via Ooty.
  • The traffic would be lesser in this stretch as compared to Ooty Ghats.
  • The total distance of ghat driving is lesser as compared to Mettupalayam - Ooty
  • Additionally you would be only climbing up the ghats while the climbing down after Hasanur is a gradual descent.

Just before you reach Chamrajnagar you can take a deviation to Gundlupet to reach the Mysore - Gundlupet - Mudumalai highway. Take a left at Mudumalai / Theppakadu Jn for Masinagudi.
Old 29th December 2011, 14:01   #9
BHPian

I have done the Sathy -> Chamrajnagar (via Dhimbam ghats) few months back and it was a good road. As srikanth mentions, the traffic is significantly less when compared to Mettupalayam - Ooty stretch. Some of the viewpoints too are really nice here. If you do not intend to take a break / visit places @ Ooty or Coonoor, would suggest this route.
Old 22nd April 2012, 18:55   #10
BHPian

Time has come for me to take this trip again. I am planning to drive down to Masinagudi next weekend as a part of our family trip. Now i need expert suggestions in terms of my itinerary.

We are planning to leave on 28th Apr Saturday. Here is the detailed plan.

Route to be taken

Chennai - Vellore - Krishnagiri - Nice Road - Kanakapura Rd - Mysore

Need some advice on the route to reach Kanakapura road and reach mysore.

28th - Leave from chennai by 4 AM
28th - Reach Ranganthittu by 3 PM
28th - Reach Mysore @ 7 PM

Accommodation booked at Mysore for 28th.

29th - Leave Mysore @ 8 AM
29th - Reach Masinagudi by 10 AM
29th - Stay @ De Rock Masinagudi

30 th - Leave Masinagudi @ 10 AM
30th - Need expert suggestions on what we can do on this day. We are now thinking of either Bheemeswari or Belur Halabedu

we are targeting to reach Bangalore by 30th night so that we can visit couple of relatives in Bangalore on 1st morning and leave back to chennai.

Last edited by aravind84 : 22nd April 2012 at 18:56. Reason: Spelling check
Old 24th April 2012, 12:38   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind84 View Post

Need some advice on the route to reach Kanakapura road and reach mysore.
If you intend to head to Ranganthittu,why do you want to take the NH209 route.IMO,the Bangalore-Mysore road is a better bet to reach Ranganthittu.

Take the NICE road from ECity and exit the NICE road at Kengeri(Mysore Road).From thereon straight to Srirangapatna and onwards to Ranganthittu.The turn to R.thittu is marked on the highway.

From R.thittu proceed towards Mysore for the night.

If you must take the NH209 route,then at electronics take the NICE road,well marked.Be vigilant not to get onto the elevated road toll lane as the lane is fenced and you wouldnt be able to exit once you get on that lane.Exit NICE road at Kanakapura road junction and join NH209 towards Kanakapura.

Quote:
If you do manage to leave Chennai by 4am,you should be at R.Thittu much earlier than 3pm(my guess is you should be there by 12-1 with breaks).

Quote:
30th - Need expert suggestions on what we can do on this day. We are now thinking of either Bheemeswari or Belur Halabedu

we are targeting to reach Bangalore by 30th night so that we can visit couple of relatives in Bangalore on 1st morning and leave back to chennai.
Going to Bheemeshwari and getting back to Blore same night is more sensible than driving to Belur-Halebid and back to Blore same day.If you couple both it doesnt make any sense either.I would suggest go to Bheemeshwari and spend time and leave for Blore after lunch to reach Bangalore by late evening.You could take the Gundlupet-Chamarajanagar-NH209-Sathanur-Muttati-Bheemeshwari route and then while returning to Bangalore you could rejoin NH209 and come via Kanakapura Road to Bangalore.This way you dont retrace your route and go via one route and come back via another.
Old 24th April 2012, 14:36   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Go via Mysore road, if you want to go to Ranganthittu.

Quote:
- You should reach Ranganthittu by noon (much earlier than 3PM).
- It would too hot. Not sure what else can you do.
- You can actually Ranganthittu by 3-4 and enjoy KRS in the evening at Mysore. If you like trains, there is a small railway museum too.
You wont be able to go to the Zoo. Its too big.

Or the other option, to go via Kanakpura road and visit Talakkadu and go to Mysore by evening.

Quote:
29th - Leave Mysore @ 8 AM
29th - Reach Masinagudi by 10 AM
29th - Stay @ De Rock Masinagudi

30 th - Leave Masinagudi @ 10 AM
Belur-Halebid is too much out of way. Bheemeshwari/Shiva Samundaram/Mekedatu etc
are more on the way.
Old 9th January 2013, 12:58   #13
BHPian

I am planning to leave from Chennai to Mudumalai tomorrow morning and want to avoid Ghats as have never driven there so shortlisted the following route. Please advise if this is pretty straight forward with easy to access milestones (though I will keep GPS active).

Chennai-Krishnagiri-Housr-Bangalore nice road- Mysore road exit- Ramanagara- Mandya - Mysore-Gundulpet- Bandipur - Masinagudi
Old 9th January 2013, 13:18   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
I am planning to leave from Chennai to Mudumalai tomorrow morning and want to avoid Ghats as have never driven there so shortlisted the following route. Please advise if this is pretty straight forward with easy to access milestones (though I will keep GPS active).

Chennai-Krishnagiri-Housr-Bangalore nice road- Mysore road exit- Ramanagara- Mandya - Mysore-Gundulpet- Bandipur - Masinagudi
I'd suggest Chennai-Krishnagiri-Hosur-Bangalore NICE road-Kanakapura Road exit-Kanakapura-Malavalli-Kollegal-Chamarajanagar-Gundlupet-Bandipur-Masinagudi. NH209 is easier to drive on than SH17 (Bangalore-Mysore) even though the latter is a 4 laner.
Old 9th January 2013, 14:18   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
I'd suggest Chennai-Krishnagiri-Hosur-Bangalore NICE road-Kanakapura Road exit-Kanakapura-Malavalli-Kollegal-Chamarajanagar-Gundlupet-Bandipur-Masinagudi. NH209 is easier to drive on than SH17 (Bangalore-Mysore) even though the latter is a 4 laner.
The only point to note:

Since you are driving from Chennai, and if you start a bit late say 6AM, you would cross Bangalore by 12. And beyond that if you need more break-points for food, Mysore road is a better option.

But if that part is OK, as Kala mentioned Kanakpura road is way-way better as you can bypass Mysore city and the infamous Mysore-Nanjangud section totally.

Most Viewed