Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2012, 15:17   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Dhanushkodi: Still open to tourists? EDIT: New 9.5 km stretch now opened for traffic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheshramaling View Post
...took a old matador truck...
Quote:
Originally Posted by udayjani View Post
...You can board a matador to reach the Dhanushkodi. ...
Are you sure that it was a Matador vehicle? I have seen only Mahindra FJ 460/470 4X4 vans doing duty there.

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 22nd October 2012 at 15:26.
Old 22nd October 2012, 16:25   #17
BHPian

re: Dhanushkodi: Still open to tourists? EDIT: New 9.5 km stretch now opened for traffic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJP View Post
@maheshramaling, any recommendations for a hotel in Rameshwaram or Dhanushkodi? We are planning to drive down from Bangalore. Thanks in advance.
Exactly a year back visited Rameshwaram & Dhanushkodi. Had stayed at TTDC Hotel Tamilnadu, renovated Sea Facing AC Rooms with ample parking place. Breakfast included. But the food quality is not all that good.

Regarding Dhanushkodi, drove all the way till a small village where the tar road ends. Park the car and get into one of the many 4x4 vehicle which take you to lands end. Its past the old abandoned Dhanushkodi town. they took us till lands end. From there on its shallow sea and few sandy islands towards Sri Lanka.
Old 22nd October 2012, 17:02   #18
BHPian

If you are going with family or a group (of max 6 people) would suggest renting a Jeep (CJ3B) from Rameshwaram town itself. This way you have the whole vehicle to yourself and can be there at the place at your time.
Old 22nd October 2012, 17:14   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJP View Post
@maheshramaling, any recommendations for a hotel in Rameshwaram or Dhanushkodi? We are planning to drive down from Bangalore. Thanks in advance.
CJP,

You should also include Chettinad in your itinerary. either you can stay in Karaikkudi and do trip or viist Karaikkudi on your way back. Pls take a look at my TL on Chettinad here.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ing-menus.html
Old 22nd October 2012, 17:36   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
Are you sure that it was a Matador vehicle? I have seen only Mahindra FJ 460/470 4X4 vans doing duty there.
Here is the picture and looks like it is mahindra and not matador!
Attached Thumbnails
Dhanushkodi: Still open to tourists? EDIT: New 9.5 km stretch now opened for traffic!-dsc00273.jpg  

maheshramaling is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2012, 17:58   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
If you are going with family or a group (of max 6 people) would suggest renting a Jeep (CJ3B) from Rameshwaram town itself. This way you have the whole vehicle to yourself and can be there at the place at your time.
I second this option of DWind's. I was there last year. We hired a jeep for Rs.1000, he took us to the edge and gave us about an hour to hang around. This place is just out of the world - serene and scary at the same time. The driver pointed out to two different shades of sea and said one is Indian Ocean and the other is Bay of Bengal (not sure how far this is true). But we had a gala time in the shallow sea with white sand. Just do not miss this. As a part of the package the driver took us to another temple along the way, Dr. Kalam's house and a souvenir store run by Dr. Kalam's newphews (as told by the driver).

I also second @dreamdiesel about TTDC. Its very close to the main temple (helps a lot if you are taking bath in those 20+ wells). Clean, spacious rooms, ample parking and bang opp the sea, with the jetty for fun rides just stone's throw away. The service levels of the staff were exemplary for a govt enterprise.

Prasad
Old 22nd October 2012, 21:02   #22
CJP
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
CJP,

You should also include Chettinad in your itinerary. either you can stay in Karaikkudi and do trip or viist Karaikkudi on your way back. Pls take a look at my TL on Chettinad here.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ing-menus.html
@Fauji - Thanks a lot Sir, under time pressure during this trip. Your travelogue is very inspiring, esp. the Chettinad food, the family loves Chettinad cuisine. We are planning to include that as part of our next Velankanni trip this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasad14 View Post
I second this option of DWind's. I was there last year. We hired a jeep for Rs.1000, he took us to the edge and gave us about an hour to hang around. This place is just out of the world - serene and scary at the same time. The driver pointed out to two different shades of sea and said one is Indian Ocean and the other is Bay of Bengal (not sure how far this is true). But we had a gala time in the shallow sea with white sand. Just do not miss this. As a part of the package the driver took us to another temple along the way, Dr. Kalam's house and a souvenir store run by Dr. Kalam's newphews (as told by the driver).

I also second @dreamdiesel about TTDC. Its very close to the main temple (helps a lot if you are taking bath in those 20+ wells). Clean, spacious rooms, ample parking and bang opp the sea, with the jetty for fun rides just stone's throw away. The service levels of the staff were exemplary for a govt enterprise.

Prasad
@Prasad - Very useful information, any tips on negotiating with the locals is always useful. Thanks very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamdiesel View Post
Exactly a year back visited Rameshwaram & Dhanushkodi. Had stayed at TTDC Hotel Tamilnadu, renovated Sea Facing AC Rooms with ample parking place. Breakfast included. But the food quality is not all that good.

Regarding Dhanushkodi, drove all the way till a small village where the tar road ends. Park the car and get into one of the many 4x4 vehicle which take you to lands end. Its past the old abandoned Dhanushkodi town. they took us till lands end. From there on its shallow sea and few sandy islands towards Sri Lanka.
@deamdiesel - thanks very much, just finished booking the Queen Palace. another T-BHPian stayed here recently. Definitely aim to travel to lands end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
It is almost the end of November and I'm really hoping to get a break from work for a long road trip - yes, it's been about 7 months since our trip to Munnar (we also drove to Mangalore/Udupi during the Independence Day long weekend but no time away from work that time). Now that December was round the corner, I started dreaming about a road trip. December means a week of school holidays for my daughter so this seemed like the perfect opportunity to plan for a trip if I could manage to get time off.

Coming soon on your favourite browser, watch this space for details !
@NPV - many thanks for your detailed travelogue, it was the primary trigger for this road trip
CJP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2014, 09:37   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamdiesel View Post

Thanks @dreamdiesel. This was my question when I came to the thread. I am planning a visit to Madurai and Rameshwaram starting on Friday this week (Oct 3rd-5th). Hopefully will have time to check out Dhanushkodi as well. Can anyone please confirm if it is still open to tourists?

Thanks!
Old 1st October 2014, 10:59   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswaroop View Post
Thanks @dreamdiesel. This was my question when I came to the thread. I am planning a visit to Madurai and Rameshwaram starting on Friday this week (Oct 3rd-5th). Hopefully will have time to check out Dhanushkodi as well. Can anyone please confirm if it is still open to tourists?

Thanks!
As on 15th August, it was

Worry not - its a good plan except you'll be really rushed. We did it over four days with pondicherry thrown in but the kids went mad driving rameswaram-pondy (almost 9 hours).
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2014, 00:25   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
As on 15th August, it was

Worry not - its a good plan except you'll be really rushed. We did it over four days with pondicherry thrown in but the kids went mad driving rameswaram-pondy (almost 9 hours).
Thanks @phamilyman. Ended up doing up a trip in 4 days too. Spent Sunday evening on the beach at the Indian Navy check post and went for a cloudy sunrise on Monday morning to Dhanushkodi It was a great experience!
Old 21st September 2015, 18:37   #26
BHPian

Hello, typically how much does it cost to rent a 4x4 vehicle for a ride to Dhanushkodi and back to a hotel in Rameshwaram? Just wanted to get a rough idea. Thanks.
Old 21st September 2015, 18:39   #27
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arka View Post
Hello, typically how much does it cost to rent a 4x4 vehicle for a ride to Dhanushkodi and back to a hotel in Rameshwaram? Just wanted to get a rough idea. Thanks.
We paid Rs.1000/- from the hotel to Dhanushkodi and back, this was couple of years ago.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2016, 13:17   #28
Senior - BHPian

Would love to visit the place.

Small question.

Are our own 4x4 Capable vehicles allowed? Ive seen videos of pajeros driving around.
Old 22nd March 2016, 13:33   #29
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
Are our own 4x4 Capable vehicles allowed? Ive seen videos of pajeros driving around.
I don't think there is any restriction on private vehicles driving on the ruts/sand.
Remembered our own forum member @ajithkumarlb had taken his Scorpio automatic 4x4 to Dhanushkodi, see his post - here
Also remember reading in another thread that the road is being extended further in towards lands end and about 4-5 Km of it is ready - details here

Last edited by NPV : 22nd March 2016 at 13:35.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2016, 21:20   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
Would love to visit the place.

Small question.

There is no restriction for private vehicles. But you would need to inform at the police check post before taking your vehicle.
It is advisable to take a local as a guide with you, as it can get quite tricky sometimes.
Last year, I had taken my Scorpio 4WD to land's end. It was me, my wife, my mom and a localite. Although I felt there was no need for 4WD, but to be safe I drove in 4H all along...
Do let me know if you are interested, I can share the contact.
gypsyFreak is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks