Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2011, 15:03   #1
BHPian

Dhanushkodi: Still open to tourists? EDIT: New 9.5 km stretch now opened for traffic!

Hi,
I went to Dhanushkodi in October 2009. That was a wonderful experience. We took a fisherman truck and travel for around an hour on the deep ruts of sand to reach the end of land mass at Dhanushkodi. That was a unique experience which I have not experienced anywhere else.

Sometime back, i had unconfirmed information that tourists are not allowed to visit Dhanuskodi anymore. I just wanted to check whether any of the tbhpian has been to Dhanushkodi recently. Is it still open to tourists? I plan to go there next weekend. Looking for latest information from the tbhpians.

Thanks,
JP
Old 31st December 2011, 15:11   #2
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Dhanushkodi: Still open to tourists? EDIT: New 9.5 km stretch now opened for traffic!

Dhanushkodi is open to tourists and you still can do the drive on 4 wheel drive vehicles to go around the ruins along the beach. It is a wonderful experience. If I remember correctly, the timings are 7am thru 5pm.
I had been there on 28 Dec (3 days ago). However, I don't know how the situation is currently due to the 'Thane' Storm.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2011, 16:15   #3
BHPian

re: Dhanushkodi: Still open to tourists? EDIT: New 9.5 km stretch now opened for traffic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Dhanushkodi is open to tourists and you still can do the drive on 4 wheel drive vehicles to go around the ruins along the beach. It is a wonderful experience.
Yes, you can take a 4-wheel drive and visit Dhanushkodi. I had visited Rameshwaram and Dhanushkodi with family in the first week of December. We found one Jeep guy in front of our hotel, and he quoted 900/- for the trip. Overall, it takes 2.5 - 3 hours for the round trip - we left the hotel at around 11.30 AM and was back by 2.30 PM. The trip includes a visit to the various ruined buildings in Dhanushkodi and of course, the beach. On the way back, we also paid a visit to the Kodandaramar temple. Overall, it is a wonderful experience.
vivekkr_99 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2011, 23:14   #4
Senior - BHPian

What ever the places they take you thru the 4 wheel drive is not proper Dhanushkodi. They reach to a point which is safest and get you back. Still, that will be a wonderful experience.
Old 1st January 2012, 19:58   #5
BHPian

Thank you Ramesh, Vivek, NPV.
How deep are the ruts offlate? Do you think it would be safe drive down in my Safari to that last land mass in Dhanushkodi?

BTW, I am driving down from Bangalore. Any recommendation on the best route to take? How is the Bangalore - Madurai route offlate? I remember it was breeze 2 years back.

Thanks,
JP
Old 1st January 2012, 21:49   #6
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recker_us View Post
Thank you Ramesh, Vivek, NPV.
How deep are the ruts offlate? Do you think it would be safe drive down in my Safari to that last land mass in Dhanushkodi?

BTW, I am driving down from Bangalore. Any recommendation on the best route to take? How is the Bangalore - Madurai route offlate? I remember it was breeze 2 years back.

Thanks,
JP
On the route:
Bangalore-Madurai on NH7-Left onto Ring Road (Airport)-Turn right onto NH49-Ramanathapuram-Rameshwaram-Dhanushkodi

Take NH7 from Bangalore to Madurai, turn left at Tirumangalam (follow the signage for the Airport). After few Kms, you will see a left turn for the airport, don't turn here but proceed straight ahead and then you will reach a junction with a small circle, turn right here (you should see the signage for Rameshwaram, this is NH49). NH49 goes all the way to Ramanathapuram and then Rameshwaram. At the junction before the Ramanthaswamy/Rameshwaram temple, turn right and head towards Dhanushkodi about 20 Km. All the roads NH7, NH49 and Dhanushkodi roads are absolutely great roads to drive on.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by NPV : 1st January 2012 at 21:52.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2012, 15:46   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recker_us View Post
Hi,
I went to Dhanushkodi in October 2009. That was a wonderful experience. We took a fisherman truck and travel for around an hour on the deep ruts of sand to reach the end of land mass at Dhanushkodi. That was a unique experience which I have not experienced anywhere else.

Sometime back, i had unconfirmed information that tourists are not allowed to visit Dhanuskodi anymore. I just wanted to check whether any of the tbhpian has been to Dhanushkodi recently. Is it still open to tourists? I plan to go there next weekend. Looking for latest information from the tbhpians.

Thanks,
JP
I visited Dhanushkodi on 30th Dec and tourists are still allowed and we also took a old matador truck to go further into backwaters. These trucks go only on to a point & do not ferry till actual lands end.

While talking to some local folks - the lands end is about 6 to 8 kms further ahead and vehicles are not allowed. If one wishes to go there - they can walk along the beach but guess - there should be restriction to reach the lands end considering it's very close to Srilanka coast (just 18 kms!)
Old 2nd January 2012, 16:36   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheshramaling View Post
While talking to some local folks - the lands end is about 6 to 8 kms further ahead and vehicles are not allowed. If one wishes to go there - they can walk along the beach but guess - there should be restriction to reach the lands end considering it's very close to Srilanka coast (just 18 kms!)
Is there anything worth like temple etc at the lands end?
Old 2nd January 2012, 16:45   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
Is there anything worth like temple etc at the lands end?
There is a small village and people still live there....so there must be some place of worship....but not famous ones. There is a government primary school too. The sheer reason why people visit dhanushkodi is;

1) Close (20 kms) from Rameshwaram, which has lot of tempes & also historic importance.
2) It's historic importance. This town almost vanished during 1964 cyclone and you can see ruins of it.

You can read more about Dhanushkodi in Wiki Dhanushkodi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by maheshramaling : 2nd January 2012 at 16:47. Reason: Missed a line!
Old 2nd January 2012, 17:29   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is a small village and people still live there....so there must be some place of worship....but not famous ones.
1) Close (20 kms) from Rameshwaram, which has lot of tempes & also historic importance.
2) It's historic importance. This town almost vanished during 1964 cyclone and you can see ruins of it.
Four years back, i was there upto the last point of tar road.
There is small police check post.
After that, one has to take 4x4 drive to go further.
As i was in hurry, never went ahead.
May be next time.
Old 19th October 2012, 19:25   #11
CJP
BHPian

Quote:
I visited Dhanushkodi on 30th Dec and tourists are still allowed and we also took a old matador truck to go further into backwaters. These trucks go only on to a point & do not ferry till actual lands end.

@maheshramaling, any recommendations for a hotel in Rameshwaram or Dhanushkodi? We are planning to drive down from Bangalore. Thanks in advance.
Old 19th October 2012, 19:32   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJP View Post
@maheshramaling, any recommendations for a hotel in Rameshwaram or Dhanushkodi? We are planning to drive down from Bangalore. Thanks in advance.

Seems like an awesome place! (Thanks to Ranjit for the find)

(Google Location)

http://www.daiwikhotels.com/

Last edited by ampere : 19th October 2012 at 19:34.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2012, 19:45   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere

Seems like an awesome place! (Thanks to Ranjit for the find)

(Google Location)

http://www.daiwikhotels.com/
I had blocked rooms here for the Nov 1st to 4th holidays, spoken to the hotel management as well, they seem quite professional and their travel desk person, Shanmugam is quite informative. Now have changed plans and am going someplace else.
Old 20th October 2012, 01:11   #14
BHPian

Quote:

You are absolutely right. You can board a matador to reach the Dhanushkodi. I don't the end of Land is near to sri lankan coast. It is indeed quite far. However the end land is very scenic and beautiful. If anyone planning to go Please take some local folks with you, cause no one stays there or roams there. Their are only ruins of old buildings that was once there but destroyed by rains. If you left behind, there's no way to go in the middle of the beach. The place is very haunting once the sun sets.

I visited the end land 2 years back with some local folks. I noticed something unusual their with the beach and the land. As you walk towards the end land you will notice surrounded by waters on the both sides and you caught in the middle in the sand. One of the local folks said, you can keep walking inside the sea, no depth. You will notice beautiful coral leaf and the water is so transparent. Strictly not advised for any fun or swimming.
udayjani is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2012, 14:01   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJP View Post
I stayed in Royal Park - bit old but a good hotel. Their website address is www.hotelroyalpark.in but not sure if the hotel still exist.
maheshramaling is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed