Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2012, 16:45   #1
BHPian

Republic Day Weekend trip to Jaipur

Hi All,

I am planning to go to Jaipur on the Republic Day weekend. Will be leaving Delhi on 26th morning, stay for 3 nights in Jaipur, and come back by 29th afternoon/evening.

Few questions I have:
  1. What is the condition of the road from Delhi to Jaipur? How much time it will take?
  2. Where to halt on the way? Any good eating joints?
  3. What to do/see/eat in Jaipur?
  4. Can a visit to Ajmer be added to the plan?
Looking forward to your responses.

PS: I tried looking for similar threads, but couldn't find much info. Thats why I have created a new thread.

Regards
Old 17th January 2012, 19:10   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Republic Day Weekend trip to Jaipur

Quote:
What is the condition of the road from Delhi to Jaipur? How much time it will take?
The condition of the Delhi-Jaipur highway is good and terrible in bits and pieces.

Till at least Pataudi, there's a LOT of flyover construction work going on so there are constant diversions.

We'd started from Gurgaon at 8am and were stuck in bad, bad traffic. Since you're planning to do this on the Republic Day weekend, I guess the traffic will be more.

After Pataudi, the road is more or less good; as in, road expansion is going on.

But, drive very carefully. The highway has umpteen divider crossings where everything under the sun crosses the road. Also, the roads are not lane-marked yet and trucks/tractors drive where they please.

Alternatively, there's a SH through Alwar to go to Jaipur which is in very good condition; but that is around 30-40 kms longer.

Quote:
Where to halt on the way? Any good eating joints?
Plenty actually.

Quote:
What to do see in Jaipur?
1) Amer Fort
2) Jantar Mantar
3) Birla Temple
4) Albert Hall Museum
5) City Palace
6) Hawa Mahal
7) Jai Garh Fort
8) Nahar Garh Fort
9) Jal Mahal : watch it from a distance
10) Abha neri Step well : about 20 kms from the city
11) Choki Dhanni : for the Rajasthani entertainment

Quote:
Can a visit to Ajmer be added to the plan?
You can watch roam around in Jaipur in 2 days.

Jaipur - Ajmer is ~150kms so you could plan a quick 1 day trip to go to the Dargah and Pushkar lake.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 17th January 2012 at 19:13.
Old 17th January 2012, 19:20   #3
BHPian

6 lane work is going on and if you plan something early morning from Delhi it will be fine. I would say go directly to Ajmer Sharif (you need 2-3 hrs time max here) then head towards pushkar brahma temple its hardly 20 km from Ajmer. Then drive back to Jaipur. Spend your time in Jaipur, chokhi dhani, Amer Fort, local market, have Rawat’s Onion Kachories etc as mentioned in earlier post. But remember to start early not later than 12 pm from Jaipur to Delhi. Otherwise you will stuck in traffic and spoil your mood.
Old 17th January 2012, 20:44   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
The condition of the Delhi-Jaipur highway is good and terrible in bits and pieces.

Till at least Pataudi, there's a LOT of flyover construction work going on so there are constant diversions.
Which route are you suggesting? On the regular NH8 route there is no Pataudi!!

With 5-6 flyovers operational the road conditions have improved a lot. I would suggest you stick to Delhi - Manesar - Daruhera - Bawal - Behror - Kotputli - Shahpura route.

If you starting on a working day in Delhi/NCR then start at 0600 hrs or at 1000hrs. If you start in between you will get stuck in the morning rush to office/factories till Manesar.

As suggested earlier, you can go straight to Ajmer from Delhi i.e. if you start early and return to Jaipur for the night. But for that you would have to start early from Delhi, take Jaipur by-pass at Manoharpur

Most of the places to be seen in Jaipur have been covered by Libranof1987 already. You also may be interested in the light and sound show at Amer Fort and at Jantar Mantar

Regards
Old 17th January 2012, 20:51   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by woof View Post
Where to halt on the way? Any good eating joints?
Highway King is good. Its after Kotputli while going towards Jaipur.
Old 17th January 2012, 22:12   #6
BHPian

A friend drove down recently and it took him 6 hours because of the traffic.

Might I dare suggest taking the Alwar route. It is about 60km longer, but you will get there in at least one hour less. The road from Dharuhera to Alwar is top-notch and usually deserted. You will have to cut back into NH8 after crossing Alwar, but you will land up after Pataudi and that might be a reasonable chance of getting there with the same number of strands of hair that you had at the beginning of your journey.

Good Luck, I'm heading down the same route on 26th morning but to my alma mater in Ajmer.
Old 18th January 2012, 10:04   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranky View Post
A friend drove down recently and it took him 6 hours because of the traffic.

Might I dare suggest taking the Alwar route. It is about 60km longer, but you will get there in at least one hour less. The road from Dharuhera to Alwar is top-notch and usually deserted. You will have to cut back into NH8 after crossing Alwar, but you will land up after Pataudi and that might be a reasonable chance of getting there with the same number of strands of hair that you had at the beginning of your journey.

Good Luck, I'm heading down the same route on 26th morning but to my alma mater in Ajmer.
I just have one recommendation for the Jaipur-Ajmer route that please avoid taking the jaipur-ajmer direct road as its still going through expansion at many places and the traffic is extensive and slow at most times. Instead you should take the jaipur-udaipur road and take right from Nasirabad. I attempted to take the ajmer-jaipur road just 2 months back and repented thereafter. Most importantly you have a better travelling road via nasirabad on Udaipur highway and can maintain good speeds with less braking, hence better fuel efficiency also.

Regarding Delhi-Jaipur stretch, time when you travel on this highway has always been the key atleast since last 7 years I have been using it once or, twice a year. Starting 4 AM from delhi will make a huge difference as you will reach faster. Avoid rush times always on this route as it becomes more like a local road
nikesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2012, 10:12   #8
BHPian

Thanks everybody for the inputs. This is surely going to be of great help.

I am a foodie. Will love to know the popular must-visit eatouts on the way and in Jaipur/Ajmer.

@Cranky - From where do I need to take a turn for the Alwar route. This is the first time I will be driving on this highway.

Last edited by woof : 18th January 2012 at 10:14.
woof is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2012, 10:30   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by woof View Post
@Cranky - From where do I need to take a turn for the Alwar route. This is the first time I will be driving on this highway.
You cut into Dharuhera town (early morning start is advised), when you see the service road you can take that into the city. The right to Alwar is two kilometers from the first speedbreaker, it's not difficult to spot.

Quote:
I just have one recommendation for the Jaipur-Ajmer route
Thank you

Last edited by cranky : 18th January 2012 at 10:32.
Old 18th January 2012, 12:08   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
Which route are you suggesting? On the regular NH8 route there is no Pataudi!!
I was referring to the exit off NH8 for Patuadi.
Old 3rd August 2012, 22:02   #11
BHPian

Anyone traveled on the road to Jaipur from Delhi lately. I have to go to Ahmedabad in end August. Thanks
Old 5th August 2012, 17:37   #12
BHPian

Am also planning to do Delhi - Udaipur on the same day (15th Aug).

Thank you for all the suggestions till Jaipur. Any more suggestions till Udaipur. I dont mind doing few km more if traffic is less. Am planning to start at 5 am. Can start earlier too

regards

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks