Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2012, 01:40   #16
BHPian

Re: Trip to Hindustan ka dil - Madhya Pradesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Functional View Post
Did sach.sri make the trip? I will be leaving on a really long drive from Noida to Chennai on the 29th December. The route plan will go through Nagpur and from there to Hyderabad to Chenna. However am not sure about the best way to Nagpur - currently preferring: Noida - Agra (via YExpway)-Gwalior-Shivpuri-Bhopal. A night-halt at Bhopal and then onwards to Nagpur via Itarsi-Hoshangabad. However, I am told that the North South Corridor is mostly 4 laned now. So am tempted to do Noida-Agra(via E-way)-Gwalior-Jhansi-Lalitpur-Sagar-Jabalpur. Basically halt at Jabalpur for the night and then Jabalpur - Lakhnadon- Seoni-Nagpur.

Will be glad for any inputs - specially from those who stay in the heart of India.
I can help with the road conditions for a part of your route.(GWL-JHS-BHO)

GWL to Jhansi road was getting converted to 4-lane divided highway but work got stopped due to political/legal issues and now most of the road is in partial state of construction. Some of it is complete but most of it half done with no end of construction in sight.

I drove from Bhopal to Jhansi a couple of times last month (Nov. 2012), going by different routes each time.

The 4-lane divided highway (NH-26) from Babina to Sagar is very good. You can easily cruise on this stretch. Just watch for locals that love to drive/ride on the wrong way, as there is no break in the median for long distances. The highway is still under construction north of Babina towards Jhansi. The original road from Jhansi to Babina is beyond pathetic. The usual 20 minute drive will take more than an hour. Since I had to take that road twice in one week, I will not be able to describe the road without any expletives so I will keep my mouth shut on that.

One route towards Bhopal is the obvious Sagar - Rahatgarh - BegumGanj - Raisen - Bhopal.
Sagar to Rahatgarh: Road is under construction, which is almost complete. Just some small bridges (Pulias) that need to be tarred.
RahatGarh - Raisen: 2-Lane undivided toll highway. Very good road surface.
Raisen - Bhopal: Not bad, some rough patches, otherwise okay road.
As you enter Bhopal, take the bypass towards Hoshangabad. It's a 6-lane divided highway which is almost complete, just last few hundred meters were left, when I went last month.

The other route that I took was Jhansi - Babina - Malthone - Bina - Kurwai - Vidisha - Bhopal.
On this route, I left NH-26 at Malthone, taking SH-14 towards Bina. It is nice 2-lane undivided toll toad till Bina. After that, the road till Kurwai was in bad shape with lot of potholes. But my Dad took this route last week (mid Dec. 2012) and said that it has been patched up. SH-14 beyond Kurwai is under conversion to a 4-lane divided highway and most of it is complete upto the junction of SH-19 which goes to Bhopal via Vidisha. It is a very good road with minimal traffic.

Hope it helps. Good luck with your trip.

Last edited by moralfibre : 25th December 2012 at 07:23. Reason: No high speed references please.
Old 30th March 2016, 14:31   #17
BHPian

Dear All,

Would like to do a road trip from Mumbai to visit the "India ka dil" Madhya Pradesh in my Linea alongwith family. The following destinations are in mind: Mandu, Maheshwar, Omkareshwar, Indore, Bhopal, Sanchi, Pachmarhi, Jabalpur, Bhedaghat, Bandhavgarh, Pench, Khajuraho and Orchha.

Have two weeks in hand for this trip. How is the road condition in MP to visit all these places ? Suggestions on itinearary, any other places and hotels are most welcome.

Thanks.
Old 6th October 2016, 02:26   #18
BHPian

Madhya Pradesh Tour - Route advice and insight

So, the year is about to end and my cousin proposed that we wrap it up with a road trip in December. Post numerous discussions and debates, we have zeroed in on Madhya Pradesh since we have already been down South.

Tentative dates are 7/12 to 23/12 which might get pushed a bit depending on my uncle's court schedule. We'd be departing from Navi Mumbai and have planned the following routes:

Onward route
Via Mumbai-Agra highway
Uran>Omkareshwar>Maheshwar>Mandu>Indore>Ujjain>-Bhopal>Sanchi>-Chanderi>Gwalior

Trip to Hindustan ka dil - Madhya Pradesh-map-1.png

Return route
Via Nagpur-Aurangabad highway
Gwalior>Orachha?>Khajuraho>Jabalpur>Kanha>Nagpur>U ran

Trip to Hindustan ka dil - Madhya Pradesh-map-2.png

Tentative Itinerary:

Trip to Hindustan ka dil - Madhya Pradesh-mp.png

Points of interest/Local specialty:

Maheshwar/Omkareshwar – Narmada Ghat, Ahilyabai Fort and Palace, Sarees, Akhileshwar and Siddhanth Temple
Mandu - Jahaz Mahal, Hindola Mahal, , Hoshang Shah's Tomb, Jami Masjid, Rewa Kund, Roopmati's Pavilion., Baz Bahadur's Palace,
Indore – Leather Toys, Kanch Mandir, Lalbagh Palace, Sarafa Bazzar, Rajwada,
Ujjain – Temple City, First meridian longitude
Bhopal – City of Lakes, Upper Lake (largest artificial lake),
Sanchi- Great Stupa, Stupa 2, Great Bowl, ASI Museum, Udaygiri Caves,
Chanderi – Famous for Sarees, Buddhi Chanderi, Koshak Mahal, Jama Masjid (without minar), Chanderi Fort
Gwalior - Gwalior Fort, first written zero, Gujari Mahal, Tansen Memorial, Jai Vilas Palace,
Orchha (if near by) – Jahangir Mahal, Laxmi Narayan Temple, Chhatris, Ram Raja Temple, Raja Mahal, Famous for metal craft.
Khajuraho – Various types of temples UNESCO site.
Jabalpur – Dhuandhar Falls and Marble Rocks in Bhedaghat, Madan Mahal, Rani Durgavati Museum, Kachnar City –Lord Shiva statue,
Amarkantak – Teerthraj, Source of Narmada, Kapildhara and Dughadhara.
Kanha – National park
Pench – National park
Mumbai - Potholes, traffic, pollution and potholes

As always, the above travel plan has been compiled using everyone's best friend, Google. However, I believe that the insight and inputs from someone who has already been there/is a local resident can prove to be much more informative and resourceful. I request all to kindly suggest any eateries/hotels/fuel stations along the way and also suggestions/alternatives for the planned route or places to visit. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Turbo_Torq : 6th October 2016 at 02:28.
Turbo_Torq is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2016, 09:26   #19
Senior - BHPian

Re: Madhya Pradesh Tour - Route advice and insight

Now this thread comes at a very good time, will be keeping a close eye on the developments. I am planning in March 2017 and your travails could feed into my planning. My itinerary would be for max 15 days, hence would not cover many of the places you intend to visit. I have heard roads in Madhya Pradesh are good but after the recent incessant rains needs to be verified.

All the best buddy.
Old 6th October 2016, 10:16   #20
Team-BHP Support

Re: Madhya Pradesh Tour - Route advice and insight

A few years back, while traveling from Bangalore to Gurgaon, we had taken the Pune - Aurangabad - Amalner - Indore- Gwalior route (since we wanted to meet family in Aurangabad and Amalner).

Just a word of advice: the roads from A'bad all the way to Gwalior are two lane undivided for the most part and run through villages so expect a lot of tractor, foot traffic on the road.

Also, we found very little traffic on the roads, and almost none after dark, so plan your trip accordingly. There aren't many shops or dhabas along that highway so factor that in as well.
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2016, 22:55   #21
BHPian

After some thought (and a lot of processing on our supercomputer) we are contemplating a few changes to our travel plan.

The onward journey now would be:
Uran>Lonar>Karanja>Amravati>Nagpur>Kanha>Jabalpur> Pachmarhi>Khajuraho>Oraccha>Gwalior

while the return leg would be:
Gwalior>Chanderi>Sanchi>Bhopal>Ujjain>Indore>Mandu >Maheshwar>Omkareshwar>Uran.

Based on the above itinerary, Pench National Park will be skipped and new POIs would include Lonar, Karanja-Lad, Nagpur Dragon palace, Ramtek and Pachmarhi.

Going through this section, we have learnt that the best and rapid route for Mum-->Nagpur would be Mum-Nashik-Dhule-Amravati-Nagpur. However, the two new added places viz. Lonar and Karanja-Lad gives us two options
  • Nagar-Aurangabad-Lonar
  • Nashik-Jalna-Lonar

Could you guys help us decide which of these two routes would ensure a smooth, comfortable drive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Just a word of advice: the roads from A'bad all the way to Gwalior are two lane undivided for the most part and run through villages so expect a lot of tractor, foot traffic on the road.

Also, we found very little traffic on the roads, and almost none after dark, so plan your trip accordingly. There aren't many shops or dhabas along that highway so factor that in as well.
Thank you so much for that piece of info mate
Turbo_Torq is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2016, 16:16   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_Torq View Post
So, the year is about to end and my cousin proposed that we wrap it up with a road trip in December.

As always, the above travel plan has been compiled using everyone's best friend, Google. However, I believe that the insight and inputs from someone who has already been there/is a local resident can prove to be much more informative and resourceful. I request all to kindly suggest any eateries/hotels/fuel stations along the way and also suggestions/alternatives for the planned route or places to visit. Thanks in advance.
So that cousin is me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_Torq View Post
Going through this section, we have learnt that the best and rapid route for Mum-->Nagpur would be Mum-Nashik-Dhule-Amravati-Nagpur. However, the two new added places viz. Lonar and Karanja-Lad gives us two options
  • Nagar-Aurangabad-Lonar
  • Nashik-Jalna-Lonar

Could you guys help us decide which of these two routes would ensure a smooth, comfortable drive?
I am awaiting the suggestions and advice. Well, my exams are approaching and hence I would not be online much after a few days. So if anyone could help with the itinerary, it would be of great help.
Old 4th December 2016, 15:43   #23
BHPian

Well the days are coming and I need to finalize the trip. I would be glad if any suggestions/advice are given.

Last edited by kdp95 : 4th December 2016 at 15:44. Reason: typo
Old 27th July 2017, 11:40   #24
BHPian

Hi all, I had the following questions on the route given below:

1. Road conditions
2. Safety
3. Eating places enroute
4. Anything else that might be useful.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Aura...21.1458004!3e0

Attached an image of the same for convenience:
Trip to Hindustan ka dil - Madhya Pradesh-mp_route.png

Thanks in advance!
Old 12th December 2018, 14:31   #25
Team-BHP Support

What is the best route to MP from Gurgaon? And how is the condition of the roads?

The plan is:
Gurgaon - Orchha (2N)
Orchha - Khajuraho (2N)
Khajuraho - Panna National Park (2N)
Panna - Gwalior (2N)
Gwalior - Gurgaon

Any suggestions on Panna: places to stay and arranging a visit to the park.
Old 18th December 2022, 13:17   #26
BHPian

Hello friends, I am planning a trip next week with family and my itinerary is as below:
Day 1: Bangalore - Aurangabad
Day 2: Ellora caves, Daulatabad, Grishneshwar temple
Day 3: Ajanta caves
Day 4: Omkareshwar - Maheshwar
Day 5: Ujjain
Day 6: Mandu
Day 7: Mandu
Day 8: Nagpur
Day 9: Hyderabad

Since this trip materialized at the last moment, I have not got much chance to research and plan. Request help on the below questions:
1) Any suggestions on the above itinerary? Is it doable? Any changes you would suggest?
2) On day 4, I plan to start early from Ajanta and reach Omkareshwar by noon; spend couple of hours and then drive to Maheshwar. Stay overnight at Maheshwar, and leave for Ujjain next day around 4 pm. This way I can visit the ghats in the evening setting sun and explore the other places next day. Is this time enough for Maheshwar?
3) How is road conditions for Day 3 till Day 8? Is it safe to drive late evenings or should I restrict to day driving only?
4) Any suggestions/advice on what to eat at these places, any specialties of these places that is a must try?
5) Any recommendations for good stay options at Ajanta, Maheshwar and Mandu? I checked the Maharashtra and MP tourism properties but they are all sold out. So I will have to look for other hotels.
6) Any restrictions in visiting the above places eg any day of the week that is a holiday etc. I plan to buy online tickets for Ajanta, Ellora. Are there tickets for the other places as well?
Old 18th December 2022, 13:31   #27
One
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy28 View Post
Hello friends, I am planning a trip next week with family and my itinerary is as below:
Day 1: Bangalore - Aurangabad
Day 2: Ellora caves, Daulatabad, Grishneshwar temple
Day 3: Ajanta caves
Day 4: Omkareshwar - Maheshwar

2) On day 4, I plan to start early from Ajanta and reach Omkareshwar by noon; spend couple of hours and then drive to Maheshwar. Stay overnight at Maheshwar, and leave for Ujjain next day around 4 pm. This way I can visit the ghats in the evening setting sun and explore the other places next day. Is this time enough for Maheshwar?
While from a planning perspective to save time, Ellora-Ajanta and then driving down to Omkareshwar is correct, I personally would do Ajanta first before Ellora from a site seeing standpoint. Seeing Ajanta after you have already seen Ellora might seem underwhelming sometimes. This is an input only if you are a traveller who is fine with going slow and absorbing things.
One is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed