Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2012, 16:49   #1
BHPian

Kadur -> Kuduremukh -> Sringeri -> Agumbe -> Kadur

I am planning to visit Kadur this weekend. As part of my visit I am planning to visit few places in and around Malnad.

Planning the below trip for a day with my wife and two friends in my Indigo. I am the lone driver. Please let me know is it possible to cover all the places in a day and the road conditions.

Start from Kadur at 4:00AM on Saturday -> Chikmagalur -> Kalasa -> Hornadu
Have Darshan at the temple and then drive back to Kalasa, Break for Breakfast.
Head to Kuduremuch, Spend couple of hours and head to Sringeri. Lunch and then visit the temple. I do not have idea of temple closing time in Sringeri in the afternoon, please let me know if someone is aware of the temple Darshan timings.

After Darshan drive to Agumbe to see the sunset. Is this really possible? Can I reach agumbe in time, if not there is no point in vising Agumbe.

How about heading back from Agumbe to Kadur on the same day (late evening journey)

I have two routes, don’t know the condition of both, please enlighten.

Agumbe -> Thirthahalli -> Shimoga -> Kadur

Agumbe -> Koppa -> NR Pura -> Tarikere -> Kadur.

Is this stretch possible in night, considering this is March, as there will be no rain. Should I cut down any place. In case, I decide to stay back and drive the next day, can I stay overnight at shringeri/Agumbe. Please let me know if there is any good hotel. Cleanliness and safety are the priorities as my wify will be accompanying me.
Old 27th March 2012, 20:29   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Kadur -> Kuduremukh -> Sringeri -> Agumbe -> Kadur

This is definitely gonna be a cramped road trip for you. However here you go

Kudremukh--Sringeri is close to 55kms from what I remember. So lets say you need 1.5 hours to cover this distance under sedate driving.

Sringeri temple if its crowded then add another 2 hours coz this place some times gets real crazy. I speak from experience and the 2 trips I did to Sringeri was nothing short of mayhem when it came to parking and getting my vehicle out.

Sringeri--Agumbe is roughly around 30kms and the roads are just about OK. I dont know if they have done up this road since November last year.

Now return journey, Agumbe -- Kadur is around 160+ kms easily. Do the math for the travel time, depending on your driving. Dont you think you are stretching way too much ?

Instead, stop the journey at Thirthahalli after Agumbe. See if you can get a booking at Vihangama and spend the night there. Next day drive back to Kadur.

In case you stay back at Vihangama after Agumbe you can visit the famous Dodda maney where Malgudi days was shot. Next morning before you return to Kadur you can also pay a visit to Kuppalli where the famous poet Kuvempu lived.

With regards to Vihangama Retreat, I can personally vouch for this place coz I have stayed umpteen times here, I think we have had two tbhp meets here. So no worries about the safety and cleanliness of this place.

Ideally try and cut your journey at Thirthahalli if possible.

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 27th March 2012 at 20:30.
Old 28th March 2012, 11:27   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadurRacer View Post
I am planning to visit Kadur this weekend. As part of my visit I am planning to visit few places in and around Malnad.

Planning the below trip for a day with my wife and two friends in my Indigo. I am the lone driver. Please let me know is it possible to cover all the places in a day and the road conditions.

Head to Kuduremuch, Spend couple of hours and head to Sringeri. Lunch and then visit the temple. I do not have idea of temple closing time in Sringeri in the afternoon, please let me know if someone is aware of the temple Darshan timings.

After Darshan drive to Agumbe to see the sunset. Is this really possible? Can I reach agumbe in time, if not there is no point in vising Agumbe.

How about heading back from Agumbe to Kadur on the same day (late evening journey)

Is this stretch possible in night, considering this is March, as there will be no rain. Should I cut down any place. In case, I decide to stay back and drive the next day, can I stay overnight at shringeri/Agumbe. Please let me know if there is any good hotel. Cleanliness and safety are the priorities as my wify will be accompanying me.
As rjstyles says, it is a tight trip for one day.

Kalasa-Horanadu is okay and you can go ahead as planned. But, in Kudremukh, there is nothing that you can do to spend 2 hours. It is a very scenic drive though. There is one waterfalls called Hanumanagundi falls. You can stop here for max 1 hr and then start off to Sringeri. I am not aware of the road conditions from SK border to Sringeri.

If you have lunch in Sringeri, reaching Agumbe for sunset is very easy and there should be no problem. I think the Sringeri temple closes at 1.30 or 2 pm (not sure). If you decide to drive back to Kadur from Agumbe, do take the Agumbe-Thirthalli-Shimoga-Kadur. The roads on this route are great. There is a small rough stretch between Agumbe-Thirthalli though, but it is not at all a problem. Thirthalli-Shimoga is a beautiful drive. Shimoga-Kadur has been relaid recently and it is a great stretch of road.
Old 28th March 2012, 12:05   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadurRacer View Post

This is what i would recommend apart from what Addy and Riju have said. Considering it will only be for the weekend, here is the schedule.

Day 1 Saturday - No need to depart at 4 AM. Leave at 5.30 AM.

Drive straight to Horanadu via Chikkamagalur - Mudigere - Kottigehara -Kalasa. You should be able reach Horanadu by 8.30 AM. Have darshan and go around the temple. The complete activity will not take more than one hour.

Have breakfast in Horanadu and proceed towards Sringeri via Kudremukh. This is an hour's drive. Unless you stay in Kudremukh and try and explore the area via treks, there is nothing much to see except for nice drive.

Arrive in Sringeri. Finish Darshan and have lunch in Mutt.

After Lunch, move to Agumbe. Visit Sirimane and Barkana Falls, play aound for sometime, visit Dodda mane - badly maintained - and go to see sunset in in the evening for Sunset. Enjoy sunset if you are lucky and it is not cloudy.

Drive from Agumbe to Tirthahalli and stay in Bananki homestay. Excellent place.

Bananki Homestay in Shimoga, Bananki Homestay in Thirthahalli, Book Bananki Homestay.

Day 2 Sunday - If you can get up early go and see sunsrise in Kundadri - 25 KMs - or Navilukallu gudda - 10 KMs. Come back and have excellent Breakfast.

After Breakfast, go to Kuppali to see Kavi Shyla - Kuvempu's memorial - which is a short drive from Bananki.

If you are not tired you can venture to climb Kavale durga which is few KMs from Tirthahalli. Come back for lunch.

If you dont want to do Kavale Durga, then just realx in Bananki.

Have a quick lunch and proced towards Shivamogga. Reach Shivamogga and take a detour towards Sagara - 10 KMs - and visit excellent Tyavarekoppa Lion - Tiger safari. Nice place to see tigers and lions in natural environs.

After completing safari, drive back to Kadur via Tarikere - Birur. If you have time visit outstanding Hoysala built Amruteshwara temple in Amrutapura on the outskirts of Tarikere.

Here is the google map link

Kadur, Karnataka to Kadur, Karnataka - Google Maps

Take a look at this post on what you can do in Malnad.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ve-malnad.html

Also take a look at this TL of mine

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-monsoons.html

The roads are all good except for Kadur - Chikkamagalur stretch which i understand was getting repaired and you can get it checked from local taxi guys in Kadur.

Last edited by Fauji : 28th March 2012 at 12:11.
Old 15th August 2012, 21:02   #5

Hi all,

i have driven(Xylo E8 ABS 2009) between Kundapur to Sringeri and chikmaglur, Jog to Sringeri(via Sagara) etc.

But i am not familiar with the route between Sringeri and Kalasa.

If anyone could help me with info from Kalasa to Sringeri, it would be great.

This is for a cycle ride with 3 of us riding hybrid/MTB bicycles later this month.(Ride route: Day1:Chikmaglur->Kalasa Day2:Kalasa->Sringeri Day3:Sringeri->Kundapura). Our average speed in the mountains would be between 10-15kmph(Well, we took about 9hours to ride 16hair pin bends from udupi to Agumbe, this summer)

Any info on following lines would be of immense help for our planning:

- any places to eat between Kalasa to Sringeri for lunch and breakfast.
- Level of wildlife around Kudremukh on the road
- any naxal issues known

Regards,
Deepak
PS: Moderator/Admin, if you think this question is not relevant to team-bhp given that i am asking info for a bike ride, please feel free to block the posting. I am posting here, as in the past, i found Team-bhp to be very good to plan trips, stays etc. Thanks to the team posting some wonderful experiences.

Most Viewed