Team-BHP - Summer Vacation - Kolli Hills -Kotagiri - Mettupalaym - Kodaikanal
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Summer Vacation - Kolli Hills -Kotagiri - Mettupalaym - Kodaikanal (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/118918-summer-vacation-kolli-hills-kotagiri-mettupalaym-kodaikanal.html)

29-Apr-12 Leave Early Morning to Kolli Hills, Stay in Kolli Hills
30-Apr-12 Leave to Kotagiri in the Evening, Stay in Kotagiri
1-May-12 Go to Ooty - Stay in Kotagiri
2-May-12 Go to Coonoor - Stay in Kotagiri
3-May-12 Leave Early morning to Black Thunder from Kotagiri
Leave to Kodaikanal in the evening, Stay in Kodaikanal
4-May-12 Stay in Kodaikanal
5-May-12 Leave early morning and back to home

We are planning to stay @ Government Youth Hostel or Nallathambi in Kolli Hills. And visit the temple and falls.

Trying to get some Cottages in Kotagiri and stay there for 3 days and go to Ooty and Coonoor and other places. I heard this Kotagiri is better and cheaper than Ooty and Coonoor.

Go to Black Thunder for Kids and go to Kodaikanal and stay there for 2 days.

Trying to get Swaraj Mazda as we are around 18 (12 adults + 6 kids). Looks like it can climb Kolli Hills due to hair pin bends, need to get some local bus or cab.

Questions.

1. Trekking in Kotagiri - Anybody done that, if yes, please give list of places. I am new to Trekking, so would be great if somebody can list the things needed to take (First Aid, knife (threaten bison :)) etc.,)

2. Heard Belair cottage in Kotagiri is cheaper and good, any reviews.

3. Trying to book room @ Kodai Misty Mountain in Kodaikanal, any reviews?

4. Black Thunder - What is rating by Comparing Queens land in Chennai?

Any other inputs would be really helpful.

TIA

Since you plan to do Kodai and Ooty, I would say you should chuck out
Kolli hills. You would be better spending the the time at the other places.

Also may I ask why again both Ooty and Kodai?

Just wanted to see all the Summer Vacation spots.. and my family never been there as well, no other reasons, once visited all of them, will pick on which fits my taste and stick to that one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by carbhp
Just wanted to see all the Summer Vacation spots.. and my family never been there as well, no other reasons, once visited all of them, will pick on which fits my taste and stick to that one.

Even in that aspect I would say its not worth going to Kolli hills if you plan to do kodai, ooty. Kolli hills is more like a weekend jaunt rather than a full family vacation spot.

I second with Amp. It would be better to avoid Kolli Hills. It is more of a weekend getaway. Also, in peak summer, Kolli Hills may also be hot.

For stay in Kotagiri, I have once stayed at the Twin Tree Resorts and it is very good. Excellent service backed by awesome food.

Kolli Hills would be similar to Bangalore in terms of temperature during summer. I think staying in Kotagiri would be a good choice as both Ooty & Coonoor would be extremely crowded. Having said that commuting would be very chaotic because of high traffic in all these places due to season.

Why don't you look at staying at Palaniappa Estate though they are strictly a veg only place. They have 3 different properties in their estate which you can may be try out during your stay. Homestay at ooty near coonoor

You could do mild trekking around the tea estates in Kotagiri / Coonoor except for a pair of good shoes I think you don't need to worry about.

Black Thunder would also be crowded during summer. By the time you finish Black Thunder and reach Kodaikanal it would be very late in the night, you would have to pay a whole day's rent for just staying overnight.

Sorry for late reply. We went to Kolli Hills & Kotagiri and skipped Kodaikanal as the travel time between Kotagiri and Kodaikanal was more and we don't travel at nights.

But we liked Kotagiri very much extended the stay there by cancelling Kodaikanal. Did walking everyday to Longwood and saw Bisons there. Would recommend Longwood to everybody.