Team-BHP - Lucknow to Bhubaneshwar : Route Queries
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Lucknow to Bhubaneshwar : Route Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/119198-lucknow-bhubaneshwar-route-queries-3.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nohonking (Post 4190673)
Dear ashish.uno,

Based upon my recent road trip from Gurgaon to Patna and Bodhgaya, which shares a lot of common route which you'll take, let me tell you that Google route (via Chandauli is ok). As you'll be driving down via Bengal and then Bihar, expect heavy truck traffic after Mohania toll plaza until at Bihar-UP (Chandauli) border. The road is good though (AH001 or NH2), there are some flyover constructions going on till Varanasi, so a lot of diversions. Allahabad till Shikohabad section is very good to drive where you may cruise at 100-110 easily. From Shikohabad onwards till Agra expect a chaos at Tundla toll (cash only, no cards excepted). Also this is the section you'll be going slow. After Agra, it is ok to drive until you reach NCR where the traffic will rather stop you from moving.

The good thing is, post Agra, you'll have ample branded restaurants and rest rooms on the highway to stop. Please have sufficient food and confectionery in stock till such time you reach Agra (and for return journey as well).

Another point worth sharing is Paytm/debit cards are acceptable at almost all the toll plazas unless at some where there isn't any GPRS and you need to pay cash only.

Wish you a happy journey!

Cheers,
Simmi

Dear Nohonking,

Appreciate you giving detailed feedback. My better half is from Agra and I grew up in Delhi, moreover last six years have been spent in travelling from Agra to all over UP (family and relatives) so there is a familiarity and comfort factor with the routes on these states. From Varanasi onwards I plan to take road to lucknow and then expressway to Agra. Shouldn't be much of a problem.

My only concern is my unfamiliarity with the roads in West Bengal and Jharkand.

After much thought i have semi finalised the following route. Chaibasa is the common location from which two detours are possible.
- Chaibasa – Purulia = 120 Km
- Purulia – Barhi = 180 Km
- Barhi – Varanasi = 290 Km

Google suggests the purulia route, which is shorter by 20 km (than the chaibasa -ranchi- hazaribagh- barhi- Varanasi route) . Can you give feed back on both these routes, which one will be quicker, road conditions, safety etc. and which might be a good place for night halt.

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashish.uno (Post 4191557)
....after much thought i have semi finalised the following route. Chaibasa is the common location from which two detours are possible.
- Chaibasa – Purulia = 120 Km
- Purulia – Barhi = 180 Km
- Barhi – Varanasi = 290 Km

Google suggests the purulia route, which is shorter by 20 km (than the chaibasa -ranchi- hazaribagh- barhi- Varanasi route) . Can you give feed back on both these routes, which one will be quicker, road conditions, safety etc. and which might be a good place for night halt.

Thanks!

Drop the idea of going via Purulia. Just not worth for several reasons.

As of now via CHAIBASA is the fastest route to reach BARHI (NH2 GT Rd) from BBSR. The routing is:

BBSR > CUTTACK > CHANDIKHOL (Here leave the GQ and TL for DUBURI) > DUBURI > KEONJHAR > JAINTGARH (OR/JH Border) > CHAIBASA > CHAKRADHARPUR or KANDRA > RANCHI > BARHI

The road between CHANDIKHOL till JAINTGARH ranges from a fast 4 lane to several under-construction stretches at various places. It will still be a good drive and the pace will continue to be mostly good when you cross over to JH. These are new roads and feature things like crash barriers, radium signage, reflective road markers, etc wherever needed. Throughout you would have low to normal traffic.

For the segment CHAIBASA to BARHI you have 2 options

Option 1: Via CHAKRADHARPUR
Gmap: https://goo.gl/maps/q3qq6G891XB2
Scenic, hilly and some lonely drive that passes through sparsely populated tribal hinterland of JH. This is the Saranda forest range and the DIMNA WLS elephant corridor extends here though you catching a few of them big ones is remote. Throughout the day you have busses plying between RANCHI to CHAKRADHARPUR & CHAIBASA.

Option 2: Via KANDRA
Gmap:https://goo.gl/maps/RQKSegBNSV92
KANDRA is about 25Km before JAMSHEDPUR. At this point turn left just before the toll plaza on the TATA-KANDRA 4 lane highway. After crossing KANDRA you will meet the newly built fast connector to CHOWKA where you will join the main JAMSHEDPUR - RANCHI - BARHI highway. Till Ranchi this is being upgraded to 4 lanes thus be careful of diversions and kamikaze drivers. After RANCHI till BARHI and beyond is 4 lane.

Both the options have their pros/cons. Depending upon your start time from BBSR you can make a decision. Option 1 is shorter with less traffic density. Good to take if traversing in day time. Otherwise the JAMSHEDPUR RANCHI road is more mainstream albeit with denser traffic resulting in a time penalty of about 30 minutes.

Suggested plan
Day 1: BBSR - HAZARIBAGH
Start around 6am from BBSR. By 7pm reach HAZARIBAGH for night halt. A good stay option is Canary Inn Hotel on the main road. 10 minute detour from the highway.

Day 2: HAZARIBAGH - LUCKNOW
Again an early start. By nightfall reach LUCKNOW via BARHI>VARANASI>ALLAHABAD BYPASS.

Best wishes :thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by drive_factor (Post 4195594)
Drop the idea of going via Purulia. Just not worth for several reasons.

drive_factor Thank you for this invaluable post. I shall be following exactly the same route. As for deciding between Chakradharpur or Kandra, it will be decided on the day of travel depending upon the time we keep.

I wasn't too keen on purulia too. Thanks for confirming!

A small Update.

I took the route from Chaibasa to Ranchi via Chakradharpur. While its certainly scenic its definitely not advisable.
Two reasons for that:

1. The road sees virtually no traffic. There were police pickets on at least three check points where they were checking luggage of the occupants. Naxals? In our entire stretch we saw only a couple of cars coming our way, rest of the way was jungle and deserted. Though i have traveled through deserted places earlier, this place did not give good vibes. We traveled through day and the weather was fine.

2. The roads have trees perched precariously on half a root for most of the route. Ranchi has lush vegetation and this area is no different. While traveling you will notice long trees weathered and tethered by a few roots while the better part of their foundation lies exposed.
This is true of almost all the trees there. So while you are enjoying the weather and occasional rains and lightening while driving, a tree falling (high chances) will cut you off the rest of the way.
While one of the tree has blocked the way further, you can bet another tree is giving some good company to that tree ahead of you.

Hence stick to the Kandra-Barhi route and be safe.

Hey guys, I am planning a bike trip next week from Bhubaneshwar to Uttarakhand over 2 days and need some inputs over the routes & night halts. Currently, I am thinking to do a night halt in Gaya and have the following tentative plan in mind.

Day 1, Bhubaneshwar - Gaya: Bhubaneshwar - Baripada - Jamshedpur - Hazaribagh - Barhi - Gaya. Should I just follow Google Maps recommendation from Jamshedpur - Gaya?

Name:  JamshedpurGaya.png
Views: 89
Size:  328.0 KB

Day 2, Gaya - Bareilly/Rudrapur: Gaya - Buxar - Lucknow - Bareilly - Rudrapur. Mainly, I am wondering what is the best way to go from Gaya - Buxar. Google Maps shows 4+ hours for a mere 157 kms which doesn't sound very good. Although, I guess if I start on this route early morning, I may be able to save 30-45 minutes.

Buxar onwards should be smooth sailing.

Name:  GayaBuxar.png
Views: 70
Size:  220.7 KB

Would appreciate any suggestions or recommendations from BHPians who have done this route.