Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2012, 00:46   #1
Senior - BHPian

Connecticut to Chicago/Detroit

I will be driving to Chicago/Detroit this memorial day weekend. Primary purpose is to go for a long drive (~2000 miles), its been more than 6 months since I went for a long drive.

I will be taking I84W, then I80W, and finally I90W to Chicago passing through NY, PA, OH, IN. Planning to cover the distance in 1.5 days.

Any suggestions on must visit places which are on my route? Our preference is for nature, anything that we dont see very frequently or anything to do with automobiles ( Henry Ford museum is in the plan already).

Cities along my route: Scranton, PA;youngstown, OH, Cleaveland, OH, fortwayne, IN etc.
Old 7th May 2012, 06:38   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Connecticut to Chicago/Detroit

In NY, you'll have to make a detour South for the Bear Mountain State Park.

As traffic is usually heavy during a long weekend I wouldn't advice making the detour.

You'll hit a number of state parks once you cross Scranton, & on the way to Youngstown.

I'm not familiar with anything further West but Cleveland, being off Lake Eerie I'm sure you'll find some beaches / watersports / islands in the area.

Enjoy your trip!
aah78 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2012, 22:06   #3
BHPian

You've GOT TO stop at Sandusky and visit Cedar Point, the worlds biggest and baddest adventure park. Write us back if you live to tell about the Top Thrill Dragster....17 seconds of pure adrenaline. 0-120 mph in 3.5 seconds on the ground followed by a straight up 425 feet vertical launch and a dead drop....holy g forces...nothing like it !

Put In Bay in Lake Erie off of Port Clinton in Ohio is a very nice island to spend a day...take your car in a ferry and have fun on the island.

If you are into music, then the Rock and Roll Hall of fame museum in Cleveland is worth a visit.

A detour down I-76 to one of the oldest and most renowned Ventakestwara temples in USA in Monroeville Pittsburgh may quench your religious thirst. The food is awesome here. (The owner of the Udipi restaurant at the base of the hill the Temple is on, has a Ferrari and it is usually parked right outside the main door )

Last edited by NinadJoshi : 7th May 2012 at 22:31.
NinadJoshi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th May 2012, 07:35   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinadJoshi View Post
You've GOT TO stop at Sandusky and visit Cedar Point, the worlds biggest and baddest adventure park. Write us back if you live to tell about the Top Thrill Dragster....17 seconds of pure adrenaline. 0-120 mph in 3.5 seconds on the ground followed by a straight up 425 feet vertical launch and a dead drop....holy g forces...nothing like it !
Wish I could go there and try it this time, but looks like it may be worth making a second trip just for this one. Family prefers the temple option. Thanks for the suggestions..

How about the Indiana dunes park? Heard there are 4 wheel drive vehicle tours over there, but couldnt find any info on the net.
Old 8th May 2012, 11:09   #5

If you have time, you might want to consider going via catskill mountains of NY (Haines falls, for ex). I once went on interior roads all the way across western CT and into NY catskill area with minimal interstate (If I remember correctly, I took rt 32 from Mansfield all the way). Absolutely beautiful routes during summer and very relaxing. Might slow you a bit, but worth it if you have time.

Checked Google maps. If you go this way, you can eventually go via Binghamton on Rt 88 (try Manchester-Hainses Falls NY - Chicago). I would imagine this route to be more interesting.

Post some pics after your trip.
northwood123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2012, 18:28   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
Wish I could go there and try it this time, but looks like it may be worth making a second trip just for this one. Family prefers the temple option. Thanks for the suggestions.
A trip dedicated to Cedar Point is indeed justified. Keep aside 2 days for the adventure park because it is next to impossible to do all the rides in one day - especially so if it is a weekend or holiday. Add one more day for the Kalahari Water Park that is nearby. This is America's biggest indoor water park. Guaranteed fun for everyone in the family. If you have yet another day and a penchant for islands, I'd recommend add Put In Bay to the mix too.

Do not lodge in the Cedar Point or Kalahari property unless you have a promotion code. There is ample accommodation available in a 20 mile radius around these two places.
NinadJoshi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2012, 02:23   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
Family prefers the temple option.
If you are looking for good cuisines in PIT, try out Tamarind. The temple cafeteria itself is great if you are out of time. Visited the temple umpteeen times during my stay nearby
narayans80 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2012, 08:57   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
If you are looking for good cuisines in PIT, try out Tamarind. The temple cafeteria itself is great if you are out of time. Visited the temple umpteeen times during my stay nearby
Thanks for the suggestion, will make a decision on where to go after I reach the temple and depending on the situation.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks