Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2012, 20:32   #1
Senior - BHPian

Kabini sightings anyone?

Dear Members,

Can anyone update the sightings late June-May, at kabini-Nagarahole ?
Your inputs will be highly appreciated as I am planning a trip this weekend with a stay at JLR, Kabini.
Regards,
Old 8th May 2012, 21:18   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Kabini sightings anyone?

fazal PM fellow member redrage a.k.a Dileep,he has been a regular at both these places.Good choice for your stay,at JLR I am sure you wont be disappointed.
rjstyles69 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2012, 21:44   #3
BHPian

had it not been the fag end of summer, you would've been lucky with cat sightings. Be sure to sight loads of elephant for sure.

And Yes, JLR is a good choice with Orange County not being bad either. Not sure if you can get the booking though.
nandans2005 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2012, 23:01   #4
BHPian

Leopard sightings have been pretty regular, even today evening there was one i guess. The striped cat has been elusive comparitively, but there have been good reports this season so you may just hit a jackpot, who knows!
amolpol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2012, 10:51   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Is this the right time to visit Kabini. I was thinking of a JLR trip around end of this month. Was on the impression that as summer peaks chances of sighting all animals increases.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2012, 13:49   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Is this the right time to visit Kabini. I was thinking of a JLR trip around end of this month. Was on the impression that as summer peaks chances of sighting all animals increases.
Yes, summer is the right time for visiting Kabini. Not merely for the big cats, but for the large herds of elephants that descend to the banks of the river in search of fresh green grass. While the forest goes dry, the backwaters transform into green lawns where most herbivores land up for a feast. I'd recommend atleast one boat safari during the summers especially to witness the grand scene of the elephants on the river banks at close quarters.

Be aware, that starting 16th of May, the JLR guys are imposing a camera fee of INR 500 per DSLR camera for each safari ride. This is over and above the per person stay expense that earlier included the camera fees as a part of it. This had evoked a lot of reaction from the regulars who visit the JLR properties including me. However, it does seem like they're going to stick to their decision as of now.
amolpol is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2012, 13:55   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolpol View Post
Be aware, that starting 16th of May, the JLR guys are imposing a camera fee of INR 500 per DSLR camera for each safari ride. This is over and above the per person stay expense that earlier included the camera fees as a part of it. This had evoked a lot of reaction from the regulars who visit the JLR properties including me. However, it does seem like they're going to stick to their decision as of now.
Yes, saw in their site DSLR fees as Rs 500 and Handycam as Rs1000. Checked in price list of their other property in KGudi and didnt find any. Somehow feel JLR's are turning in to a very pricy proposition altogether. Remember going to their resort in Bandipur some 3 years back for a 2000 rs package. Now the same is costing around 4.5 K
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2012, 14:20   #8
BHPian

Hi, its a good season, just check with staff about rains there. If its pouring difficult chances in sighting predators.

The camera fee as far as i know according to a colleague who visited on May 3rd has been waived . I understand JLR Mgmt has opposed this move and till further notice it is not going to be charged.

Some of my pictures from last month. Got 2 different tigers at the same place (Tiger Tank), a mating pair probably.

Kabini sightings anyone?-t1-cs4-lite.jpg

Kabini sightings anyone?-t2-cs4-lite.jpg

Kabini sightings anyone?-t3-cs4-lite-2.jpg

Kabini sightings anyone?-t4-cs4-lite.jpg

Kabini sightings anyone?-t5-cs4-lite.jpg

Kabini sightings anyone?-t6-cs4-lite.jpg

Kabini sightings anyone?-t8-cs4-lite.jpg
redrage is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2012, 17:29   #9
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I am going there tomorrow ( 10th may ). Hope to get lucky. Will update this thread when back.
Old 9th May 2012, 19:01   #10
Senior - BHPian

Thank you all for you most valuable inputs.

Until 14th JLR is booked. I had stayed here in the summer of 2008 and had a wonderful experience with JLR and also sightings.

Later in 2010 stayed at Nagarahole forest guest house (in travelogues).
No big cats this time, got enough otherwise.

If JLR is charging the unjustified fee for DSLR's, then it should be boycotted.

Will try Orange County.

Redrage,

That humungous male is full up to its mouth after a heavy meal.
Great pics. knowing its not common to be blessed with sightings this good here.
Regards,
Old 13th May 2012, 09:53   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
I am going there tomorrow ( 10th may ). Hope to get lucky. Will update this thread when back.
Back from the trip to Kabini. Spotted the wild dogs and leopard other than the usual Gaurs, elephants, boar and deer. One group spotted a tiger. We spotted the wild dogs during the boat safari.
m8002? is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2012, 08:45   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
Back from the trip to Kabini. Spotted the wild dogs and leopard other than the usual Gaurs, elephants, boar and deer. One group spotted a tiger. We spotted the wild dogs during the boat safari.
Great, both wild dogs and leopard in one trip. How is the service in JLR Kabini nowdays? Heard lot of mixed reviews lately.
Old 14th May 2012, 09:37   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
How is the service in JLR Kabini nowdays? Heard lot of mixed reviews lately.
I dont have anything to complain about. Also, i didnt go there with a lot of expectations and came back satisfied.

In fact, the food was really good with an amazing spread. If i need to crib about something, its the last 10 kms of road to JLR.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks