Mumbai to Manipal Route

Can someone suggest a route to Manipal with road condition if possible. Thanks
Old 19th May 2012, 01:36   #2
BHPian

Re: Mumbai to Manipal Best Route & Road Conditions

Quote:
Originally Posted by stallion View Post
Since, I was stationed in Manipal for couple of years to complete my PG, most of my friends then used to travel to Mumbai. Some crazy folks used to ride down on their bikes as well.

The route, which I knew was in good condition were Manipal-Udupi-Kundapur-Bhatkal-Kumta-Ankola-Hubli-Kholapur-Pune-Mumbai.

The vice-versa of the route you would be looking for.

Mumbai -Pune-Hubli (roads even today are in good condition, where you can do at comfortable speeds.

Hubli - Ankola (Ghat roads here and there, which would take little longer period to cover due to varied speeds) Roads are 2 lanes and good.

Ankola - Kundapur - Udupi - Manipal (Literally its a coast road, where major distance would run parallel to the sea coast.) Heavy traffic of buses and trucks would keep your eyes strained and manageable speeds.
Old 19th May 2012, 09:35   #3
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mumbai to Manipal Best Route & Road Conditions

The roads until Ankola are very good.

Once you hit NH17, that's when the non-sense begins. I don't know how well they've repaired the highway now but until a few months ago, it was terrible because of the rains.

If someone on the forum hasn't been there recently to give you an idea of NH17, check with one of the Volvo drivers. I say this because NH17 can be a real pain.

The route is as mentioned above.

PS : Are you going there for counselling? Assuming it would be once monsoon sets in, I'd suggest you try Konkan railway once. The route is just amazing in the rains with water soaked fields all around.
Old 19th May 2012, 11:40   #4

Re: Mumbai to Manipal Route

Yes I am going there for counselling. Trouble with Konkan railway is that I have heard it gets disrupted during rains due to landslides so am afraid of getting stuck somewhere.
Old 19th May 2012, 12:23   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Roads are good nothing to worry about.Budget for a 14hr drive.

Start early in the morning,you could be at Belgaum Sankam Residency for a late breakfast or an early lunch or a brunch.

After that plenty of Kamats on NH17.

Mumbai-Pune: EW 2hrs

Pune-Kolhapur:NH4 3hrs

Kolhapur-Belgaum:NH4 1hr

Belgaum-Hubli:NH4 1.5hr

Hubli-Ankola: NH63 1.5hr

Ankola-Udupi: NH17 3.5hrs

Udupi-Manipal: 20mins

Mumbai, Maharashtra to Manipal, Karnataka - Google Maps
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2012, 13:35   #6
BHPian

I agree with the time lines and route plan shared by Ranjitp1. I do this route once or twice a year as manipal is my home town. Mumbai to Hubli fantastic roads throughout the year. Even the stretch from Hubli to Ankola via Kalghati- Yellapur is quite good throughout the year inspite of being a 2 laned road. NH-17, from Jan to June good at times even excellent. But once the rains hit the region the roads resemble the surface of the moon.

Just small correction to Ranjitp1's route plan. To reach Manipal one need not touch Udupi. On the NH-17 before Udupi just after you cross Kallianpur- Santhekatte there is a diversion at Ambagil. This road takes you directly to Manipal via Perampalli Cross. You will save the last 20 min.
The google map link provided Ranjitp1 correctly shows this route with the diversion also.
Old 22nd May 2012, 12:05   #7

Hey guys thanks for all the info. Is it a fact that truck drivers here drive a bit roughly especially overtaking on the 2 lane stretches on the highway have heard from a few people so just confirming
Old 22nd May 2012, 12:29   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hey guys thanks for all the info. Is it a fact that truck drivers here drive a bit roughly especially overtaking on the 2 lane stretches on the highway have heard from a few people so just confirming
On NH17, it is the bus drivers that you need to be careful of; the truck drivers are pretty sane. Bus drivers, especially the local Mangalore-Murudeshwar express buses are monsters.

There are plenty diversions due to 4-laning on NH17 so be careful.
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2012, 12:31   #9
BHPian

Not that much of trouble from truck drivers. Earlier when mining was in full flow there would be a convoy of slow moving loaded iron ore trucks leading to very difficult overtaking maneuvers.
The ones you really need to watch out for are the volvo and luxury bus drivers. At times while you are carefully maneuvering around foot deep potholes they come rumbling and flying across the NH17 leaving you in a cloud of dust and gravel.
Old 22nd May 2012, 15:37   #10
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
On NH17, it is the bus drivers that you need to be careful of; the truck drivers are pretty sane. Bus drivers, especially the local Mangalore-Murudeshwar express buses are monsters.
To call them crazy is an understatement. When I went to Manipal for the first time in 1997 I was talking to a DGM of a bank. I mentioned that the bus drivers were crazy. His comment. 'If you drive it will take an hour and a half, the bus chaps do it in under an hour with two stops on the way'. I think this sums it up.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed