Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2016, 16:24   #46
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Tenkasi/Courtallam : Route Queries

We did Punalur - Bangalore taking this route. Road is very bad after the Kerala border @ Aryankavu right almost upto Thirumangalam. Many potholes and road surface seems to have peeled off giving a very rough ride. Not sure if this because of the recent heavy rains
enzo10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th September 2016, 12:10   #47
BHPian

Just did this route - NH 744. Its great all the way. No rough patches anywhere.
The ride gets a little bouncy between Tirumangalam and Rajapalayam. Else its a song till Tenkasi and beyond (Shekottai - tenmala - Punalur)
Kuttalam roads are also good.
FuelInjector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2016, 16:59   #48
BHPian

I am planning a road trip next month that'll take me to Rameshwaram, from Rameshwaram I am planning to drive to Alappuzha.

Options from Rameshwaram to reach Alappuzha appear to be (a) Via Madurai-Kumily or (b) via Kovilpatti, then Shenkottai, Punalur.

Second choice reduces the distance by some 30 kms but I am not sure of the condition of the road here as it doesn't appear to be a major road like 744 passing through Madurai.

Any suggestions from members who've done this trip recently?
Thanks

Last edited by unni_s : 14th September 2016 at 17:03. Reason: Clearing Ambiguity
Old 15th September 2016, 10:50   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unni_s View Post
Second choice reduces the distance by some 30 kms but I am not sure of the condition of the road here as it doesn't appear to be a major road like 744 passing through Madurai.

Any suggestions from members who've done this trip recently?
Thanks
Beautiful roads. No issues at all. Very few stretches (<200 mtrs) on the ghat section to tenmala have small potholes. otherwise a good road.
FuelInjector is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2016, 09:51   #50
BHPian

Can someone brief me about the latest road condition of NH 744? Planning to drive to Dindigul from Chengannur, want to avoid the ghat road via Erumeli-Kumily-Theni.

Thanks in advance.

Rgds,
Vinod
Old 29th December 2016, 11:42   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
Can someone brief me about the latest road condition of NH 744? Planning to drive to Dindigul from Chengannur, want to avoid the ghat road via Erumeli-Kumily-Theni.

Thanks in advance.

Rgds,
Vinod
You can refer to my update here for the Madurai - Courtallam road condition, http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post4075793
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2017, 09:59   #52
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Tenkasi/Courtallam : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
You can refer to my update here for the Madurai - Courtallam road condition, http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post4075793
Thanks arun_josie, that really helped. Like you said, roads were good and bad in patches.

Is there any alternate way from sengottai/Tenkasi to Madurai? Via Kovilpatti or Tirunenvelli in the interest of hitting NH as early as possible. I don't mind driving extra 50-60kms. Weaving in and out of villages on state highways was very tiring last time on your suggested stretch .

I will stay overnight in a hotel, will not be a continuous drive all the way to bangalore. Is tanjore a good stop to view those historical places or would appreciate your inputs here. We stopped by Madurai last time to visit the meenakshi temple.

Please advise. I will be driving from Chengannur to Bangalore in 2 weeks time.

Rgds,
Vinod

Last edited by Mr_Bean : 15th March 2017 at 10:02. Reason: edit
Mr_Bean is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2017, 11:24   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Is there any alternate way from sengottai/Tenkasi to Madurai? Via Kovilpatti or Tirunenvelli in the interest of hitting NH as early as possible. I don't mind driving extra 50-60kms.
I have not tried Sankarankovil - Kovilpattai route. But Tenkasi - Tirunelveli is around 60Kms and as I have mentioned in my thread (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post4075793), the road condition is mixed, I am not sure about the current condition though. But Tirunelveli - Madurai is a nice 4L stretch. So, if you take this route, its 60Kms more but timing will be almost same.

Quote:

I will stay overnight in a hotel, will not be a continuous drive all the way to bangalore. Is tanjore a good stop to view those historical places or would appreciate your inputs here. We stopped by Madurai last time to visit the meenakshi temple.
Regarding Tanjore, you can go via Trichy from Madurai which is 4L throughout. And there are many historical places in Tanjore. I have been to Brihadeeswarar temple(Its a UNESCO world heritage site)

Some pics here from my TL,
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post4086244

There are many other temples as well.
Old 15th March 2017, 11:31   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is there any alternate way from sengottai/Tenkasi to Madurai? Via Kovilpatti or Tirunenvelli in the interest of hitting NH as early as possible. I don't mind driving extra 50-60kms. Weaving in and out of villages on state highways was very tiring last time on your suggested stretch
Tenkasi - Rajapalayam - Srivilliputtur - Madurai is a good stretch, otherwise Tenkasi - Sankarankovil - Kovilpatti - Virudhunagar - Madurai (from Kovilpatti its super NH7 where you can fly low)

Quote:
Is tanjore a good stop to view those historical places or would appreciate your inputs here
I know you didn't ask me, but still, Tanjavoor is a good place where you can always count on a drive to Chidambaram, Kumbakonam or even Trichy. But if historical places are of your interest, nothing beats Tanjavoor.
aargee is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2017, 11:33   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks arun_josie, that really helped. Like you said, roads were good and bad in patches.

Is there any alternate way from sengottai/Tenkasi to Madurai? Via Kovilpatti or Tirunenvelli in the interest of hitting NH as early as possible. I don't mind driving extra 50-60kms. Weaving in and out of villages on state highways was very tiring last time on your suggested stretch .
Quote:
I have not tried Sankarankovil - Kovilpattai route. But Tenkasi - Tirunelveli is around 60Kms and as I have mentioned in my thread (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post4075793), the road condition is mixed, I am not sure about the current condition though. But Tirunelveli - Madurai is a nice 4L stretch. So, if you take this route, its 60Kms more but timing will be almost same.
I did Bangalore-Sankarankovil-Bangalore in November-2016.

Bangalore-Sankarankovil route:
Took NH44 from Bangalore to Tirumangalam bypass. After which we took Srivilliputtur-Rajapalayam route to Sankarankovil. Roads are very average. Not too many speed bumps but too many potholes & broken tarmac is the norm. Strictly avoid this route if possible.

Sankarankovil-Namakkal route:
On this leg, we reached NH44 near Kovilpatti bypass through Kalugumalai. Route is very scenic with lots of delightful curves and roads are much better. Mostly good roads with broken tarmac at a few places. Manageable on the whole.

More details can be found in my post in the Mega "Roads update" thread (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post4085818)

Hope you find it useful.
srvm is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 30th May 2017, 12:19   #56
BHPian

Can someone update the road condition between Tirunelveli-Tenkasi? Thanks.

Rgds,
vinod
Old 15th November 2017, 23:06   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Any suggestion for good/decent stay in Courtallam, Tenkasi?
Old 15th November 2017, 23:45   #58
BHPian

Quote:
You can try Jiji's Castle.
luvurride is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2017, 00:40   #59
Senior - BHPian

General recommendations is set your expectations to low. There are no great resorts/staying place in Kutraalam in general. All are just okay type.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2017, 01:57   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Try Esakki resorts near five falls (or) saaral resorts near main falls.
amazingGuru67 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed