Team-BHP - Route & staying options: Kanpur to Manali
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Route & staying options: Kanpur to Manali (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/121057-route-staying-options-kanpur-manali.html)

Hi all,

I am planning to visit Manali & Keylong in June 1st week on my beloved Toyota Fortuner. I would be starting from Kanpur. I have few questions:

Ques. No. 1: Which route should i take?
Kanpur> New Delhi> Sonepat> Panipat> Ambala> Banur> Kharar> Roopnagar> Swarghat> Bilaspur> Mandi> Manali

Or

Kanpur> New Delhi> Panipat> Ambala> Panchkula > Pinjor > swarghat> >bilaspur > Mandi> Manali

Question No. 2: Where should i stay in route? I would start by 6.00am in the morning from Kanpur.

Kanpur to Delhi is approx 465 Kms (6 hrs) + Crossing Delhi (2 hrs):
Delhi to Chandigarh is approx 250 Kms (4 hrs)

so if everything goes well and no much of traffic jams etc i should be leaving Delhi & on NH1 by 2 Pm in the afternoon...

I feel Chandigarh seems to be the option to stay ... but if i go through route no. 1, i will have to divert for Chandigarh... how far do i have to divert and what are my staying options? Can i stay at Roop Nagar?

Kindly guide me!! We are a family with 2 kids and i shall be taking a driver along.

Thanks & regards

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devrishi (Post 2787112)

Kanpur> New Delhi> Sonepat> Panipat> Ambala> Banur> Kharar> Roopnagar> Swarghat> Bilaspur> Mandi> Manali

Or

Kanpur> New Delhi> Panipat> Ambala> Panchkula > Pinjor > swarghat> >bilaspur > Mandi> Manali

I would reccomend route 2 partillay,but no need to go to Amabala.Divert right off NH1 much prior to Ambala and connect straight to Kalka and then get onto the new Kalka-Parwanoo bypass.Its an easier drive

Quote:

Question No. 2: Where should i stay in route? I would start by 6.00am in the morning from Kanpur.

so if everything goes well and no much of traffic jams etc i should be leaving Delhi & on NH1 by 2 Pm in the afternoon.

I feel Chandigarh seems to be the option to stay ... but if i go through route no. 1, i will have to divert for Chandigarh... how far do i have to divert and what are my staying options? Can i stay at Roop Nagar?

Kindly guide me!! We are a family with 2 kids and i shall be taking a driver along.

There is no need to divert to Chandigarh that would be a very long round about way.Instead you could stay at Panipat or at Kalka on Day 1.If at Panipat,then you have Nirula's ( Nirula's - it's desilicious!) or if it is at Kalka then you have Windcross (Welcome to Wind Cross Hotel a newly built hotel in kalka) on NH22 priced quite moderately.For this place,do not take the bypass.I would say push till Kalka on Day1,so that you can do a morning leisure drive directly onto the hills.

Quote:

This is the first time I have heard of CNB-DEL in six hours. The Taj Expressway is not yet open. You will be lucky to cross Agra in under six hours. Then there is Mathura, and Palwal onwards is very heavy traffic. You are budgeting just over 60kph for DLI-CH and almost 80kph for CNB-DEL!

My last trip to Agra was only six weeks ago!

Thanks for your suggestions Ranjitp1.... i'll follow what u suggest... :-)

@sgiitk Oh! i forgot to mention the Lunch time on some Punjabi Dhaba after Delhi... by the way i have done Kanpur to Agra in 4.15 Hrs flat non-stop. My friend who frequently visits Kanpur from New Delhi told me that it takes him around 6 or 6:30 hrs max in reaching Kanpur - he has Captiva. Lets see... Hows the road condition in between Kanpur & Agra?

Thanks & regards

Quote:

Hi all,

Or

1. I would advise for route option 1 i.e. Ambala - banur - Kharar - Roopnagar. Because I am sure that the road conditions are good. i am not sure about the latest road conditions between Pinjore - Swarghat. This section used to be bad.

2. Doing Kanpur - Delhi in 6 hrs seems to be very very tough. Agra - Delhi can be done in 2.5 - 3 hrs nonstop but can you do Kanpur - Agra in in 3 hrs? :Shockked:

If you reach Delhi around 12 noon then there will be very less traffic and can leave Delhi (Badarpur - Singhu border) in less than 2 hours also.

For hotels, there are too many options on NH1. It all depends upon your timings. There are accommodation provided by Haryana tourism also in Panipat, Karnal, Kurukshetra (pipli), Ambala. No need to enter Chandigarh just for a hotel.

Cheers!
Irish :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgiitk (Post 2787265)
This is the first time I have heard of CNB-DEL in six hours. The Taj Expressway is not yet open. You will be lucky to cross Agra in under six hours. Then there is Mathura, and Palwal onwards is very heavy traffic. You are budgeting just over 60kph for DLI-CH and almost 80kph for CNB-DEL!

My last trip to Agra was only six weeks ago!

I frequently do GGN-CNB-GGN and last September, I took 5hours and 55 minutes - had started at 4 a.m. reached CNB at 9.55 a.m.; started my return journey at 4 p.m. and was home at 11.15 p.m. same day.

The only catch is crossing Agra - you need to be lucky not to get stuck in a traffic jam while crossing the city. I have wasted as much as 1.5 hours on one occasion waiting for the mess to clear up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devrishi (Post 2788667)
Hows the road condition in between Kanpur & Agra?

Awesome is the word.. However, with kids you would need to take bio breaks more often. I think it will take approximately 8 hours on CNB-DEL stretch for you.

BTW, I am in Manali right now and was planning to do Rohtang La and Solang tomorrow in my vehicle. But have been told by folks here that non-HP registered vehicles need to have a permit since last year to go up to Rohtang :Frustrati Have booked an Innova now :Frustrati