Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2013, 21:03   #196
BHPian

re: Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babuda View Post
Folks, I am driving to Bhutan with my family during the Puja Holidays. Can anyone update me on the latest road conditions from Kolkata to Siliguri via Dumka, Bhagalpur and Purnea and should I take this road from Panagarh or is Bardhaman - Bolpur - Ilambazar a better option? Thanks in advance.
Hi Babuda - I would request you to provide me the complete update on your trip especially from Kolkata to Bagdogra after you return from Holidays.

I need to travel from Hyderabad to Darjeeling in Dec during winter vacations this year. The road conditions with clear direction of the route taken between Kolkata to Bagdogra will be of great help as this is the most difficult part of the journey which is full of confusions. I thank you in advance & all the best for your trip
Old 27th September 2013, 08:11   #197
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Google Maps also shows a By-Pass road starting at this exact spot where one is supposed to re-join the highway (near Ambedkar Chowk). This By-Pass road connects to the highway beyond Tower Chowk. Confused as to which is the correct road that I should take.
Happened to cross-check upon this from a Dumka resident over phone. As per him - You need not take the bye-pass, bye-pass is meant for HCV's and the road is in a bad condition. You need to go straight and most probably there are no turns (as per him).

Thanks
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2013, 11:18   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemer8 View Post
Kolkata to Purnea is about 520kms through dumka, considering your departure only at 1300hrs, road conditions, traffic it wouldn't be possible to cover this distance in 10hrs unless you maintain very good speed.
I do not wish to contradict you but the distance is possibly slightly less than 500 KM, travelling via Bolpur, Siuri and Dumka. And as this year at June I had reached Siliguri in thirteen hours, so it may not be difficult to reach Purnea within ten. But I must admit that I left my home at Calcutta at around four O'clock in the morning, when the roads were almost empty. Even at Bhagalpur I did not encounter any traffic jam. But a departure at 13-00 Hrs may surely take longer time.
Old 27th September 2013, 12:19   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Babuda - I would request you to provide me the complete update on your trip especially from Kolkata to Bagdogra after you return from Holidays.
I will surely update this thread in detail upon my return.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Happened to cross-check upon this from a Dumka resident over phone. As per him - You need not take the bye-pass, bye-pass is meant for HCV's and the road is in a bad condition. You need to go straight and most probably there are no turns (as per him).

Thanks, Google Maps was very confusing regarding this. However, I use Here Drive on my Lumia as my navigator and like you said it shows the route as straight through Dumka, no diversions.

Quote:
And as this year at June I had reached Siliguri in thirteen hours, so it may not be difficult to reach Purnea within ten. But I must admit that I left my home at Calcutta at around four O'clock in the morning, when the roads were almost empty. Even at Bhagalpur I did not encounter any traffic jam. But a departure at 13-00 Hrs may surely take longer time.

@Rahulda: An early start definitely makes a huge difference in driving time, that's why I've dropped the idea of starting late and elected to leave relatively early (by 6:00 AM) the next day. Hopefully, I should make it to Purnea by 5:00 PM. There are two reasons for staying in Purnea: 1) I find night driving difficult these days and 2) My friend and his family are flying into Bagdogra at around 10:00 AM the following day, so I can pick them up from the airport and proceed directly to Phoentsholing.

@Sheel: Hotel tips will be welcome.
Old 27th September 2013, 16:51   #200
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
@Sheel: Hotel tips will be welcome.
Hotel Shri-Nayak - 06454-243618

For directions, once you are about to reach Purnea, the NH-31 shall split into two. Right is the bye-pass, left goes inside town.

Approx 3 kms from there, to your right would be this Hotel. After bus-stand & R.N. Shaw Chowk.

The Hotel is inside Swaraj Hata (campus) & is on main-road.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2013, 22:30   #201
BHPian

Quote:
I will surely update this thread in detail upon my return.
Looking forward to the update. when are you returning back? Hope the road conditions in Jalpalguri district has been assessed. I've traveled from Siliguri to Hasimhara in 2002, roads then were in a very bad shape. It look about 5-6 hours to travel 130kms. Phoentsholing is another 15-20kms from there.
Old 28th September 2013, 09:48   #202
BHPian

Quote:
On the way to Dumka from Massanjore and just prior to entering Dumka, Google Maps shows that you need to take a left turn off the main highway, go past Sristhi Pahar, Kurwa Water Plant, the airport and re-join the highway somewhere close to Ambedkar Chowk.
You need not turn left and go anywhere near these areas or the airport. I also took this road once, when the section of the road between Pattbari and Dumka town was horribly bad and this was the road used by many. But now the main road is in very good shape, so just stick to it.
Quote:
Google Maps also shows a By-Pass road starting at this exact spot where one is supposed to re-join the highway (near Ambedkar Chowk). This By-Pass road connects to the highway beyond Tower Chowk. Confused as to which is the correct road that I should take.
I remember the bypass road. It passes by a play ground called Gandhi Maidan, where you are to take a left turn. This road is usually used by trucks to bypass the town. But it is in bad shape, with water usually overflowing from the open drains. Better continue with the shorter route which passes by the Dumka police station and the bus terminus, unless it is too congested.
rahul4640 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2013, 11:38   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Hotel Shri-Nayak - 06454-243618
Thanks, that will be of great help.

Quote:
Looking forward to the update. when are you returning back?
We plan to leave Kolkata on the 10th of October and return on the 20th.

Quote:
Hope the road conditions in Jalpalguri district has been assessed. I've traveled from Siliguri to Hasimhara in 2002, roads then were in a very bad shape. It look about 5-6 hours to travel 130kms. Phoentsholing is another 15-20kms from there.
I intend to take the Sevoke - Malbazar route. From all accounts, apart from a 14.5 km stretch between Madarihat and Hashimara (common to both routes) which is really bad, the rest is fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4640 View Post
You need not turn left and go anywhere near these areas or the airport. I also took this road once, when the section of the road between Pattbari and Dumka town was horribly bad and this was the road used by many. But now the main road is in very good shape, so just stick to it.

I remember the bypass road. It passes by a play ground called Gandhi Maidan, where you are to take a left turn. This road is usually used by trucks to bypass the town. But it is in bad shape, with water usually overflowing from the open drains. Better continue with the shorter route which passes by the Dumka police station and the bus terminus, unless it is too congested.
Thanks, all doubts set to rest.
Old 28th September 2013, 12:55   #204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4640 View Post
Is there any deterioration of the law and order in between Calcutta and Bhuwaneswar that you are aware of? I am told by a T-BHPian friend in Facebook that recently there has been instances of bike gangs harassing motorist at this stretch. These bikers make the motorists stop, by claiming that they are involved in a hit and run case. And when these unsuspecting motorists stop, they literally snatch whatever they can get.
Quote:
This time too I am going to Gopalpur-on-sea. I plan to start from my home at Calcutta at around midnight, taking my almost nine year old Indigo car (Petrol/MPFI/100500 KM), so that I may reach my destination at around 10 O'clock. My car is in very much sound condition and I just gave it a thorough check up. Should there be any other concern, from the aspect of safety?
I travel to Orissa frequently. Last month I had gone to Chandbali / Bhitarkanika during the Id holidays (9th to 11th August). You have to take a left turn from Bhadrak to reach Chandbali which is 50 km away - 50 km of sheer torture which took us 3 hrs. Anyway, Kolkata - Bhubaneshwar is a very busy highway with lots of traffic during all hours of the day, so chances of something like what you have described above happening is quite remote. Apart from normal precautions like not stopping in deserted places at night, I think that you have no cause for concern.
Old 28th September 2013, 23:54   #205
BHPian

Quote:

I intend to take the Sevoke - Malbazar route. From all accounts, apart from a 14.5 km stretch between Madarihat and Hashimara (common to both routes) which is really bad, the rest is fine.
Sevoke road is fine except some stretches after Tiger Bridge. I've traveled up to Malbazar last year, the roads were in excellent condition. No idea beyond that point.
Redeemer8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2013, 23:24   #206
BHPian

Dear Friends,

Hello. Thanx for all the tips. I am planning to take this kolkata - dumka - bhagalpur - siliguri road till Phoentsholing, on 1st October. I am taking my kids and neighbourhood friends on a Lynx a/c 36 seater. I plan to start around 2.30 pm - 4 pm, so as to reach siliguri in the morning around 9-10 am.

Any inputs from fellow friends, regarding safety on the stretch from Siuri to bhagalpur ( the night). Any sort of dacoity, Looting, stopping by Miscreants. Any news will help. I cannot think of any way to avoid this stretch at night, as i cannot start in the morning. the idea is to use the night as travel time, and use the next day in and around siliguri.

Please help.

Thanx.
Cheers.
Old 30th September 2013, 04:11   #207
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr. sen View Post
Dear Friends, Hello. Thanx for all the tips. I am planning to take this kolkata - dumka - bhagalpur - siliguri road till Phoentsholing, on 1st October. I am taking my kids and neighbourhood friends on a Lynx a/c 36 seater. I plan to start around 2.30 pm - 4 pm, so as to reach siliguri in the morning around 9-10 am. Any inputs from fellow friends, regarding safety on the stretch from Siuri to bhagalpur ( the night). Any sort of dacoity, Looting, stopping by Miscreants. Any news will help. I cannot think of any way to avoid this stretch at night, as i cannot start in the morning. the idea is to use the night as travel time, and use the next day in and around siliguri. Please help. Thanx. Cheers.
The road is safe. We have taken this route several times this year at night and have faced no problems. The traffic is not heavy at night but not very sparse either. It will take 12 to 13 hours by this route. If you start at 3 pm, you will reach Siliguri by 3 or 4 in the night, unless you plan to take lengthy halts.
BlackPearl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2013, 22:08   #208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr. sen View Post
Dear Friends,

Hello. Thanx for all the tips. I am planning to take this kolkata - dumka - bhagalpur - siliguri road till Phoentsholing, on 1st October. I am taking my kids and neighbourhood friends on a Lynx a/c 36 seater. I plan to start around 2.30 pm - 4 pm, so as to reach siliguri in the morning around 9-10 am.

Any inputs from fellow friends, regarding safety on the stretch from Siuri to bhagalpur ( the night). Any sort of dacoity, Looting, stopping by Miscreants. Any news will help. I cannot think of any way to avoid this stretch at night, as i cannot start in the morning. the idea is to use the night as travel time, and use the next day in and around siliguri.

Please help.

Thanx.
Cheers.
I would only suggest to be careful with the place you choose for taking breaks at night & avoid isolated places. All the best & do share your travel experience when you return from this trip. All the best.
Redeemer8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2013, 19:33   #209
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
Used this road this week (returning).

Till Siuri, it is the usual. The Bhedia underpass is still a problem for small cars. But then small cars can take the road next to the railway stn.

The roads in Jharkhand are now really good. Even the Pattabadi to Dumka section. Most of the bridges are done, though unfortunately not the approaches! Sometimes the diversion seems more enticing.

Roads in Bihar have deteriorated. Esp. around Bhagalpur. Bhagalpur itself is a mess. Bhagalpur to NH31 is bad.

Islampur section remains what it is.

Toll road section normally good, but with unexpected potholes.

Vaibhab Motel is fully functional now. (Fooding and Lodging).

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th October 2013, 15:00   #210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Hi,
Used this road this week (returning). Roads in Bihar have deteriorated. Esp. around Bhagalpur. Bhagalpur itself is a mess. Bhagalpur to NH31 is bad.
Bhagalpur to NH 31 - is this the road that Google Maps refers to as Vikramshila Setu Road and if so how long is this stretch and how much time did it take you to cover this section?

Quote:
Islampur section remains what it is.
Had travelled last summer (2012) to Darjeeling but don't remember much about this stretch, so I'll be glad if you can refresh my memory

Most Viewed