Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2013, 08:42   #226
BHPian

re: Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
the Jharkhand/Bihar stretches is that the roads are laid in-around end October, early November.
During my journey last year in Dec, I observed that the roads of Jharkhand was considerably well maintained, while the majority of bad stretches on this route were found in Bihar.
Old 22nd October 2013, 09:41   #227
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Generally the thumb rule on this route, especially the Jharkhand/Bihar stretches is that the roads are laid in-around end October, early November. So its mostly best to Avoid a Kolkata - Siliguri run during the Monsoon months till early November. But this year, its still pouring,not sure if the work will start as scheduled.
As I am in the same business, construction work should start after Chhath Puja, which is around a week after Deepawali.

Not a hard & fast rule, but by mid January, most of the tarmac which is meant to be done up is ready.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemer8 View Post
During my journey last year in Dec, I observed that the roads of Jharkhand was considerably well maintained, while the majority of bad stretches on this route were found in Bihar.
We always think it is the opposite. Roads in Jharkhand is terrible & not just talking about that stretch.

The road between Naugachia (when you join NH-31) to Purnia should give you an indication as to how fabulous the roads built around nowadays in Bihar are.

But be prepared for tolls. There is one, when you would be approaching Purnia (near the COCO BP outlet)

BTW, I am heading to Bhagalpur & learnt about a new arterial road which will help me avoid the messy road between after exiting NH-31 till Vikramshila setu. Shall update.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2013, 18:38   #228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babuda View Post
Phuntshoeling (Hotel Orchid) - Purnea (Hotel Centre Point)
Where, and how is Htel Centre point?

Return journey Day 2:

Purnea - Dumka again a reverse of the route taken while going: 5 hrs including a 5 min diesel top up stop at Bhagalpur. This time it took us around 30 mins to cross Bhagalpur Town from the end of Vikramshila Setu.

Quote:
From Dumka we decided to try out a new route as I wanted to visit my cousin in Asansol. We took the Dumka - Jamtara road and turned towards Asansol from Bagdaha More and continued towards our destination via Nala, a distance of approx. 95 kms. The first 60 kms in Jharkhand took us 1 hr 15 mins. The balance 35 km of the road which is in Bengal and ends bang opposite Jubilee Petrol Pump on NH 2 on the Asansol Bypass took us 1 hr 30 mins! My cousin later informed me that I should have continued on the Dumka - Jamtara road, turned off on to the Chittaranjan - Asansol road and then joined NH 2. Even though the route is longer, it would probably have saved us some time.
Could you plot the tworoutes on Google Maps please.

Quote:
Asansol - Kolkata: I was shocked at the deterioration of the road surface on the stretch between Asansol and Panagarh.
Could have told you that, but thought not relevant on this thread!
Incidentally, Durgapur - Bankura has started deteriorating, but Bankura - Mejia is fantastic.

The police are stopping trucks, so smooth run. But I wonder what the road becomes when all the previously stopped trucks start plying.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 23rd October 2013, 10:16   #229
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Where, and how is Htel Centre point?
The Hotel is good. But is located inside the market. There is another good hotel, Hotel Shri Nayak, few travelers from HVK too have stayed.

The road between from Bhagalpur to NH-31 Naugachia is pretty bad. Took both routes, i.e. the inside one as well.

The problem with B-roads are village traffic, with tractors, bullock-carts (with bamboos) rick-shaws & autos & yes, vague cyclists.

To go to that B-road if you are coming from Bhagalpur side -

Once you cross Vikramshila setu and as soon as you cross the divided section of the road, to your right, you would spot a small road. Take that. After ~10 kms, you would come across a T point. You may take either right or left.

If you take left, within a kilometer, you shall come across a chowk & you have to take a right to join NH-31 at Naugachia.

If you take the right turn at the T-junction, keep going straight till you come across a T-junction again. Take a left & within next 1.5kms (approx) you will come across a chowk, take the right & you are on NH-31 now. By taking this route, you would be bye-passing Naugachia completely. This place is called Tetri.

To go to the B-Road if you are coming from Purnia side

If you are coming from Purnia side, once you take the left turn to leave NH-31 to join Vikramshia setu, take the first left at the first chowk you will come across (you will see a green board with Tulsipur marked for right, you don't have to take that, I mentioned for marking purpose)

After under 2 kms, you will come across a chowk (nothing in the left), you have to take a right and it will join around 400 meters prior to Vikramshila setu. Keep going straight on this road.

I haven't mentioned the Tetri route if you are coming from Purnia side as it may confuse few people.

On the whole, the road is very bad (for those 15 odd kms) but the Figo (famous for its low GC, especially when loaded) didn't scrape once, but yes, I was very careful. And I am sure at night or in rains, this road can be quite handful in low GC Cars at some places. But still, much better than traversing NH-34.

Last edited by Sheel : 23rd October 2013 at 10:22.
Old 23rd October 2013, 12:10   #230
BHPian

Quote:
Where, and how is Hotel Centre point?
As you enter Purnea from the Bhagalpur, you cross the bus stand and take a right at the first traffic post. Continue a few hundred meters down the road and Center Point is on your left. I've put up a review of the hotel on TripAdvisor and it's very good

Quote:
Incidentally, Durgapur - Bankura has started deteriorating, but Bankura - Mejia is fantastic.

Regards
Sutripta
That puts paid to my plan for a trip to Mukutmanipur.

Quote:
From Dumka we decided to try out a new route as I wanted to visit my cousin in Asansol. We took the Dumka - Jamtara road and turned towards Asansol from Bagdaha More and continued towards our destination via Nala, a distance of approx. 95 kms. The first 60 kms in Jharkhand took us 1 hr 15 mins. The balance 35 km of the road which is in Bengal and ends bang opposite Jubilee Petrol Pump on NH 2 on the Asansol Bypass took us 1 hr 30 mins! My cousin later informed me that I should have continued on the Dumka - Jamtara road, turned off on to the Chittaranjan - Asansol road and then joined NH 2. Even though the route is longer, it would probably have saved us some time.Total time taken from Purnea (Hotel Centre Point) to Asansol (Gopalpur): 7 hrs 45 mins.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Could you plot the two routes on Google Maps please.
As you enter Dumka from Bhagalpur, you take a right just before the Clock Tower. I have not tried our Route 2 though - it's as per my cousin's suggestion.
Attached Thumbnails
Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-dumka-asansol-1.png  

Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-dumka-asansol-2.png  

Babuda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2013, 20:57   #231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That puts paid to my plan for a trip to Mukutmanipur.
No, nothing like that. Durgapur - Bankura is still eminently drivable, and enjoyable. Just that it is not the billiard table smooth road it once was.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 4th November 2013, 20:27   #232
BHPian

Dear All,

Please clarify-there are no proper roads, marked on the Google Maps, from Suri to Dumka via Masanjore?

Starting from Bangalore on the 7th so should be passing this place on 11th-therefore would request for this as soon as possible.

Thank you.

Jude
Old 4th November 2013, 22:53   #233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judemayne View Post
Please clarify-there are no proper roads, marked on the Google Maps, from Suri to Dumka via Masanjore?
Here is the link for the roads in Google map from Suri to Dumka via Messanjore.

If possible, please stop for a few minutes at the Messanjore dam to enjoy it's beauty.
rahul4640 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2013, 07:45   #234
Team-BHP Support

Please factor in Muharram festival. Try to not venture on roads between Bhagalpur to Kishangunj (and at other places where it is celebrated) from dusk to ~10pm.

I am unsure of dates, but it is for 2-3 days at a stretch.

In case you come across this procession, park your Car as much away as you can from the road and get out of the Car. Don't get irked if someone bangs your Car, it happens and the mob has usually more than 500 persons with rods, swords & what not.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2013, 09:20   #235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
To go to that B-road if you are coming from Bhagalpur side -
Once you cross Vikramshila setu and as soon as you cross the divided section of the road, to your right, you would spot a small road. Take that. After ~10 kms, you would come across a T point. You may take either right or left.
If you take left, within a kilometer, you shall come across a chowk & you have to take a right to join NH-31 at Naugachia. This place is called Tetri.
I remember the place called Tetri. But are you talking about this road, which is shown as Mahadeopur Ghat road in Google Map?
Old 6th November 2013, 11:01   #236
BHPian

This was in the papers today:

" The National Highways Authority of India has sanctioned Rs 36 crore for the repair of a 60km stretch of NH34 from Dalkhola to Raiganj"

http://www.telegraphindia.com/113110...p#.UnnT7tJBOSo
Old 6th November 2013, 13:18   #237
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4640 View Post
I remember the place called Tetri. But are you talking about this road, which is shown as Mahadeopur Ghat road in Google Map?
Rahul,

Yes, that is the road. If you zoom in, you would see a Durga Mandir, you got to take a left (if coming from Tetri & going towards Vikramshila setu) & then keep going straight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrisharm View Post
This was in the papers today:

" The National Highways Authority of India has sanctioned Rs 36 crore for the repair of a 60km stretch of NH34 from Dalkhola to Raiganj"

http://www.telegraphindia.com/113110...p#.UnnT7tJBOSo
I don't think the amount funded would be enough.

In short, for a state highway 1km = Rs. 1cr. Repairs, halve it, but that road is wide & materials used would far exceed the amount resulting in short cuts.

IMO, this amount isn't enough & the Governments (either) aren't doing enough to procure further land for expansion.
Old 6th November 2013, 14:42   #238
BHPian

Quote:
I don't think the amount funded would be enough. In short, for a state highway 1km = Rs. 1cr. Repairs, halve it, but that road is wide & materials used would far exceed the amount resulting in short cuts. IMO, this amount isn't enough & the Governments (either) aren't doing enough to procure further land for expansion.
I think that you are absolutely correct. This is only a patch repair and not at all a long term solution of thorough repair.
Quote:
We always think it is the opposite. Roads in Jharkhand is terrible & not just talking about that stretch. The road between Naugachia (when you join NH-31) to Purnia should give you an indication as to how fabulous the roads built around nowadays in Bihar are.
I am all at praise for this excellent quality road, which is known to us NH-31. Not only the stretch from Naugachia, this road is even of excellent quality going all the way from Nawada. You just have to drive on this road to believe it. But please allow me to say that the Dumka-Bhagalpur road loses it's excellence, when you cross Hansdiha and enter Bihar. In many places there are small potholes and patches indicating hasty repair woks. And when you approach Bhagalpur town, this road deteriorates further. On the contrary, the surface of this road in Jharkhand is now excellent.
rahul4640 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2013, 22:10   #239
Team-BHP Support

Judemayne - The date for Muharram is on 14th (Official & gazetted holiday) but procession is started around 2-3 days ago.

You will come across this mob from dusk till ~10pm, a bit late on the last day, i.e. on 14th November for 2013.

You might come across guys asking for Muhrram subscription by flagging you down. Keep Rs. 10 notes in handy, if a Rs. 10 note doesn't work, slip another & say that is max you have as change. Raise your window and ask 'em to open the blocked path.
Old 7th November 2013, 00:57   #240
Senior - BHPian

Well, not sure if it would be appropriate to create a separate thread for this, but since the question pertains to one part of the Kolkata-Siliguri commute that is being discussed here, might as well quickly ask it here.

Coming from Siliguri, going towards Raiganj, what is the best way to avoid the infamous Dalkhola crossing and its associated traffic hold ups?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks