Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2015, 19:54   #436
BHPian

re: Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babuda View Post
As you enter Dumka, you'll spot the Clock Tower dead ahead. There's also a massive overhead directional board. Take a right (adjacent to a shop selling chips & soft drinks); the entrance is a bit narrow, but don't worry.
Yes, the word Masalia is also written on that board, though in small sized letters. The road was totally good, though road widening work was going on and initial few KM, so had to drive carefully. Also immediately after crossing Ajay river (on the West Bengal side) the road was under repair and was consequently broken for about two KMs. Good road with minimum traffic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babuda View Post
This road will take you through Masalia - Gourandi and you'll end up on NH 2, bang opposite the Jubilee Pump on the Asansol bypass.
Though I did not use a GPS, only once I had to ask for direction at a small road junction called Nala. The total distance of 97 KM (from Dumka to Asansol) was covered in about two hours, that even with a sedate driving.
rahul4640 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2015, 19:59   #437
BHPian

I feel that this is a much better alternative to the Siuri - Massanjore route. Thanks for the update, much appreciated.
Babuda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2015, 21:26   #438
BHPian

On my recent trip to Darjeeling left my home at north Calcutta at 03-17 AM. Took the usual Bolpur-Siuri-Purandarpur-Dumka route. All was going well but the road condition deteriorated so badly after Hansdiha that on several occasions I had to stop and think how to safely negotiate with those over a foot deep potholes. Reached a place called "Dhaka More" and turned left. The road improved after Banka but had to waste half an hour there in the traffic jam. Even in Amarpur it took me more than twenty minutes to cross.

I could reach Muslim High School simply by remembering Google Map, as I do not have a GPS in my over ten year old Tata Indigo car (MPFI/150000+ KM). Though the car performed beautifully, to my surprise I found that right turn was not permitted there to reach Tatarpur Chowk. All vehicles were diverted left from there. Followed a local car, had a very beautiful view of the lanes and by lanes of the town, somehow managed to return back to the railway station area and was struck in a traffic jam there. Fortunately the Vikramshila bridge was empty and the road to Naugachia (to join NH-31) was repaired and was in good shape. It was half past three when we (me, my wife and daughter) reached "Vaibhav Highway Inn" near Naugachia for having lunch. Reached my hotel at Hill Cart Road (Siliguri) at 08-10 PM.

While returning left my hotel at Darjeeling at 08-05 AM. Initially decided to take the Dalkhola-NH 34 route. But had to stop one KM ahead of Dalkhola railway level crossing. Could not move an inch in half an hour, hence turned back and took my usual Purnia-Bhagalpur route. The bridge was empty but surprisingly the south side of the bridge had a very bad traffic jam. After quite sometime followed a bus and some local cars going down by the side of the bridge road. Followed them and after sometime reached Tilka Manjhi Chowk at around three in the afternoon. Decided to halt there for the night. I was offered an unusually large non AC room at Hotel Rajhans for only Rs 1450/- (plus tax).

When I left my hotel at Bhagalpur I already checked and found that an alternative route meant travelling one hundred extra KM (when compared between this usual route against this route). But to avoid bad roads, to go via new roads and for the pleasure of driving I struck to it. Left my hotel at Bhagalpur at eight in the morning. This time everything went as planned. There was only five minutes delay at Amarpur and Banka was an absolute breeze. At Banka there was a signboard showing direction for Deoghar (via Katoria).
Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-untitled1.jpg

Good roads all the way. Traffic was minimum.
Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-dsc_0378.jpg

Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-dsc_0379.jpg

No idea what this stuff was but it fell from the truck still standing there. My inquiries revealed that an eight year boy was the only victim whose one leg had to be amputated.
Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-dsc_0381.jpg

Did not have to enter Deoghar town. Spotted the bypass easily and followed it to go to Dumka town.

Glimpses of "Trikut Pahar" from the road. Had been there earlier and rode the rope-way. Had our breakfast from a Dhaba there, at around ten in the morning.
Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-dsc_0383.jpg

Lots of red Palash trees. No idea what it is called in English.
Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-dsc_0387.jpg

The very beautiful Deoghar-Dumka road.
Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-dsc_0390.jpg

Reached Dumka. Previously knew from Babuda's post where to search for the road to Masalia. And there was a signboard as well, which I did not see on earlier trips. Great roads though the initial few KMs there was work on road widening going on and had to go slow.
Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-dsc_0393.jpg

End of bad roads.
Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-dsc_0395.jpg

Scenic roads.
Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-dsc_0396.jpg

Reached a small town called Nala, which is actually a three road junction. Confirmed that we were on the right road, drove on towards Asansol.
Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-dsc_0401.jpg

Reached Asansol at around three O'clock. Panagarh was free from traffic and reached home comfortably by seven at the evening.
Regards,
Rahul

Last edited by rahul4640 : 18th March 2015 at 21:32. Reason: Adding text
rahul4640 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th March 2015, 12:29   #439
BHPian

Rahul-da,

If I understand correctly, it took you nearly 17 hrs to reach Siliguri through the Dumka-Bhagalpur route. Does it take a longer time if you avail the NH34/Behrampur route?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4640 View Post
On my recent trip to Darjeeling left my home at north Calcutta at 03-17 AM. Took the usual Bolpur-Siuri-Purandarpur-Dumka route. Reached my hotel at Hill Cart Road (Siliguri) at 08-10 PM.
Additionally, if we go by most posts, it takes a standard 14-15 hrs to reach Siliguri through the Dumka-Bhagalpur route. Then why this aversion in most drivers in taking the NH34 (which I guess is the shorter route)? There are reports from Gearhead_mait, gmhossain on this thread that suggest there are there have been recent improvements in the main NH34 trunk.Does that improvement count to nothing?

Thanks,
Sayak

Last edited by sayakc : 20th March 2015 at 12:37. Reason: Formatting updated
sayakc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2015, 12:50   #440
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayakc View Post
Rahul-da,

If I understand correctly, it took you nearly 17 hrs to reach Siliguri through the Dumka-Bhagalpur route. Does it take a longer time if you avail the NH34/Behrampur route?

It took him that time because he branched off from Dhaka more (due to bad road condition) towards Banka Amarpur. He faced delays at Banka, Amarpur as well as within Bhagalpur town. As through this route you will have to criss-cross Bhagalpur west to east and its pretty confusing (Rahul-da ended up going in circles to reach the station).

Quote:
Rahul-da,

Then why this aversion in most drivers in taking the NH34 (which I guess is the shorter route)? There are reports from Gearhead_mait, gmhossain on this thread that suggest there are there have been recent improvements in the main NH34 trunk.Does that improvement count to nothing?

Thanks,
Sayak
When we started with this route, NH34 was in a total mess. But now, the story is a little different, infact worse because its just a gamble on either route.

On NH34 apart from Krishnanagar and the usual congestion enroute to Berhampore, you do have the infamous Kaliachowk, which for some reason continues to be 2-lane despite it being quite apparent that land is available for expansion. One could get caught in Malda. The road condition from Itahar to Raiganj is deplorable. Then you have the unpredictable Dakhola crossing (even in Rahulda's post, you will read that he had been stuck there for quite some time even this time).

If one is lucky to be able to go through the whole route without holdups anywhere, there is nothing like the NH34 route. But if you are unlucky, as I always turn out to be, you will face bottlenecks everywhere.

However, Rahul-da's post seemingly has another good option for Sedan's. For SUV's though, they can fight out the Hansdiha Bhagalpur stretch at a slower pace and benefit from lower distance as well as the lower congestion inside Bhagalpur.
1100D is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th March 2015, 14:44   #441
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
When we started with this route, NH34 was in a total mess. But now, the story is a little different, in fact worse because its just a gamble on either route.
Thanks for sharing my views exactly. Might be I just did consider myself a bit unlucky because while on NH-34 on my earlier last few journeys, each time I took this route I had to suffer long delays at one place or another.
Quote:
Rahul-da, If I understand correctly, it took you nearly 17 hrs to reach Siliguri through the Dumka-Bhagalpur route. Does it take a longer time if you avail the NH34/Behrampur route?
Ideally, no. With a decent road surface and free flowing traffic, you should reach your destination much earlier. I still remember that once in the year 2002 (or may be in 2003), I started from Peling at 08-00 AM, reaching Cossipore in (in North Calcutta) slightly before midnight, effectively covering Siliguri-Calcutta stretch in about eleven hours.
rahul4640 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2015, 10:27   #442
BHPian

Spoke to a Royal Cruiser Kolkata-Siliguri Volvo bus driver yesterday on my way back home. I was so desperate to have some first hand information of the current road conditions owing to my intended trip in May that I jumped out of my car at Park Circus 7 point crossing signal ( which was red) and rushed to the Volvo 4 cars ahead of me, leaving the car unlocked with the laptop in front passenger seat!

Anyways here's what he had to say :

1. Road conditions is generally good apart from a few kilometer stretch in and around Plassey.
2. According to him a small car can do the stretch in 14 hours. He did his last couple of trips in 12 hours. Leaving Salt Lake at 8:30 PM and reaching Siliguri before 09:00 AM.
3. Advised me an early morning start and not to take the route at night in a small car.
4. When I told him I stay at Madhyamgram, he suggested I could take the Kalyani Expressway instead and join NH34 at Boro Jagulia.
mi2n is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2015, 00:25   #443
BHPian

Quote:
Rahul-da,

Additionally, if we go by most posts, it takes a standard 14-15 hrs to reach Siliguri through the Dumka-Bhagalpur route. Then why this aversion in most drivers in taking the NH34 (which I guess is the shorter route)? There are reports from Gearhead_mait, gmhossain on this thread that suggest there are there have been recent improvements in the main NH34 trunk.Does that improvement count to nothing?

Thanks,
Sayak
NH34 route is good, but the most feared stretch is the Kaliachowk to Malda outskirt on the other side. If one can cross this stretch within an hour, there is a good possibility of reaching Siliguri in 13 hours. GMHossain has suggested a bypass for this, haven't tried it yet. Will do in the next trip. Dalkhola is best crossed early morning or after 9 pm at night. As Himadri da said (TBHP handle himadrimondal), timing this stretch is very essential.
gearhead_mait is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2015, 12:15   #444
BHPian

All,

I am planning a trip to Bhutan from Hyderabad from 1-May. The day-wise plan and my queries are in the below post. Need inputs from the seasoned travelers in those areas please.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3669466
Old 25th March 2015, 01:05   #445
BHPian

Quote:
Rahul-da,
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
When we started with this route, NH34 was in a total mess. But now, the story is a little different, infact worse because its just a gamble on either route.
Quote:
I still remember that once in the year 2002 (or may be in 2003), I started from Peling at 08-00 AM, reaching Cossipore in (in North Calcutta) slightly before midnight, effectively covering Siliguri-Calcutta stretch in about eleven hours.
I guess, the term "gamble" sums it up precisely. Together with bad road surface, the unpredictability of the required time has been the main concern for NH-34 route. The road condition nevertheless has improved recently. I guess, currently NH-34 overall is in its best shape in a decade (and I am not joking )

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2n View Post
1. Road conditions is generally good apart from a few kilometer stretch in and around Plassey.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead_mait View Post
NH34 route is good, but the most feared stretch is the Kaliachowk to Malda outskirt on the other side.

Given current road condition, we can divide the entire NH-34 route in the following sections. We can also put up estimated travel time as well as routing holed-up time for these sections (based on my own driving experiences as well as from others as reported here).

(A) Airport -- Bara Jaguli:
Distance: 38 km (47 km via Kalyani Expressway; 2-laned, very good surface; new 4-laned Dankuni-Chandannagar-Kalyani Expressway is also taking shape rapidly; it will add another option in this section within a year or so!)
Time: 1 hour 10 min (in either route)
Routine holed-up: 15 min (at Barasat on NH-34); Kalyani Expy is recommended as there is no routine bottleneck.

(B) Bara Jaguli -- Krishnanagar:
Distance: 61 km (2-laned, mostly very good surface; 4-laning work is in full-swing; some stretches have become rough near Jaguli, Birohi and Shantipur)
Time: 1 hour 20 min
Routine holed-up: 15 min (3 railway crossings at Ranaghat, Shantipur and Krishnanagar)

(C) Krishnanagar -- Bethuadahari:
Distance: 21 km (mostly 4-laned)
Time: 25 min
Routine holed-up: 0 min

(D) Bethuadahari -- Sargachi (Baharampur):
Distance: 57 km (20 km 4-laned, about 15 km of horrible road, pothole repair has started few weeks ago)
Time: 2 hour
Routine holed-up: 20 min (Plassey, Debagram, Bethuadahari)

(E) Sargachi (Baharampur) -- Shibpur Toll Plaza:
Distance: 18 km (2-laned, good surface; use Sargachi bypass road to avoid going through Baharampur town)
Time: 30 min
Routine holed-up: 10 min (Two railway crossings and Bhagirathi bridge; If you are going through the town then add another 20 min here!).

(F) Shibpur Toll Plaza -- Ballalpur (Farakka):
Distance: 80 km (4-laned tolled road, excellent surface)
Time: 1 hour 10 min
Routine holed-up: 0 min

(G) Ballalpur (Farakka) -- Kaliachak College More:
Distance: 16 km (8 km 4-laned, mostly good, some rough stretches)
Time: 35 min
Routine holed-up: 15 min (Farakka)

(H) Kaliachak College More -- Narayanpur (Malda):
Distance: 30 km (2-laned; good, bad, ugly; patch repaired recently)
Time: 50 min
Routine holed-up: 45 min (Kaliachak, Malda)

(I) Narayanpur (Malda) -- Itahar :
Distance: 48 km (4-laned)
Time: 40 min
Routine holed-up: 0

(J) Itahar -- Dalkhola:
Distance: 70 km (mostly 2-laned, good road, few rough stretches)
Time: 2 hour
Routine holed-up: 45 min (Dalkhola crossing)

(K) Dalkhola -- Siliguri:
Distance: 129 km (around 100 km 4-laned)
Time: 2 hour 10 min
Routine holed-up: 0

So with current road conditions, one can drive Kolkata-Siliguri route using NH-34 in estimated 12 hour 50 by driving sedately provided there is no holed-up. However, if one adds up all routine holed-up times then it will add another estimated 3 hour 5 min to above.

Cheers,
gmhossain is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th March 2015, 01:21   #446
Team-BHP Support

I took the NH34 route during the last 3 out of 4 trips and the average timing has been around 12 hours each time with driving time of about 10 and half hours. I was driving a Thar and it is easy to take it off road due to the small size and high GC thus reducing waiting times at those choking points mentioned by the others. As gmhossain has mentioned, NH34 is probably at its best in a decade.
BlackPearl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2015, 08:59   #447
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhossain View Post
(E) Sargachi (Baharampur) -- Shibpur Toll Plaza:
Distance: 18 km (2-laned, good surface; use Sargachi bypass road to avoid going through Baharampur town)
Time: 30 min
Routine holed-up: 10 min (Two railway crossings and Bhagirathi bridge; If you are going through the town then add another 20 min here!).
Will you please tell me how do I take this Sargachi bypass?
Old 25th March 2015, 11:53   #448
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhossain View Post
I guess, the term "gamble" sums it up precisely. Together with bad road surface, the unpredictability of the required time has been the main concern for NH-34 route. The road condition nevertheless has improved recently. I guess, currently NH-34 overall is in its best shape in a decade (and I am not joking )

So with current road conditions, one can drive Kolkata-Siliguri route using NH-34 in estimated 12 hour 50 by driving sedately provided there is no holed-up. However, if one adds up all routine holed-up times then it will add another estimated 3 hour 5 min to above.

Cheers,
What is also crucial to this equation is the time of the day the voyage is undertaken. While driving overnight seems to reduce the number of times one is held up, but isn't the preferred option for people travelling with "valuables"! (I meant "Precious" Kids and family)

Another aspect of the Bhagalpur route that probably never went recorded and can be seen in the photographs posted by many, like Rahul da, is the scenic nature of the route through Messanjore-Dumka-Bhagalpur (whatever route) - Purnea -Dalkhola, versus the arid, concrety and dusty NH34. Although for people who drive mostly under headlights it wouldn't matter either ways. However, the scenery keeps stress lower. Additionally there are more authentic "Truck" Dhaba's enroute.

Last edited by 1100D : 25th March 2015 at 11:54.
1100D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2015, 22:05   #449
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
I took the NH34 route during the last 3 out of 4 trips and the average timing has been around 12 hours each time with driving time of about 10 and half hours. I was driving a Thar and it is easy to take it off road due to the small size and high GC
Yes, Thar would definitely make it faster, specially given there are some bad stretches where hatchback currently has to crawl to avoid bottom scraping.

Quote:
Will you please tell me how do I take this Sargachi bypass?
From Kolkata-end, one needs to branch off from NH-34 near Sargachhi and then merge back to NH-34 at Girja More, just before the Bhagirathi bridge. Please see the screenshot
Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-sargachhi1marked.png

Sargachhi bypass road

Girja More

From Farakka-end, one should take a left-turn at Girja More to get off from NH-34 as shown here, followed by two more left-turns to go through the bridge underpass
Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-girjamoremarked.png
gmhossain is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th March 2015, 15:33   #450
BHPian

Hello everyone,

I am planning to drive to Domkal, Murshidabad over 11th April 2015 weekend. I have some work there and it will be a quick road trip, planning to stay in Berhampore overnight and come back to Kolkata next day.

I have two routes in mind please help me decide on the route.

Route 1: Kolkata – Burdwan – Kandi – Berhampore – Domkal (274KM approx. – as per Google Map)

Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-route1.jpg

Route 2: Kolkata –Ranaghat – Krishnanagar – Karimpur – Jalangi – Domkal (approx. 230KM –as per Google map)

Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-route2.jpg

Please suggest which one would be better?

Also note the route 2 only follows NH-34 till Krishnanagar, is it troublesome to go till Krishnanagar on NH-34?

Any good petrol pump in this route for a pit stop?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,
Samik

Most Viewed