Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2015, 14:32   #451
BHPian

re: Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)

Quote:
Originally Posted by samikc View Post
I have two routes in mind please help me decide on the route.

Route 1: Kolkata – Burdwan – Kandi – Berhampore – Domkal (274KM approx. – as per Google Map)

Attachment 1355296

Route 2: Kolkata –Ranaghat – Krishnanagar – Karimpur – Jalangi – Domkal (approx. 230KM –as per Google map)

Attachment 1355297

Also note the route 2 only follows NH-34 till Krishnanagar, is it troublesome to go till Krishnanagar on NH-34?
Up to Krishnanagar NH-34 has been resurfaced recently. So it's pretty good surface up to Krishannagar barring few rough stretches. It's really bad post-Bethuadahari up to Baharampur but you are not planning drive on this section anyway.

A part of SH-7 (in your route 2) was in bad shape between Burdwan and Futishanko. It's excellent from Futishanko up to Kuli (you should drive up to Kuli Chowrasta before turning towards Kandi)

My suggestion would be take Route 1 for onward journey and then you can try Route 2 while returning.

Best,

Last edited by gmhossain : 1st April 2015 at 14:35.
gmhossain is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2015, 19:32   #452
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samikc View Post
Hello everyone,

I am planning to drive to Domkal, Murshidabad over 11th April 2015 weekend. I have some work there and it will be a quick road trip, planning to stay in Berhampore overnight and come back to Kolkata next day.

I have two routes in mind please help me decide on the route.

Route 1: Kolkata – Burdwan – Kandi – Berhampore – Domkal (274KM approx. – as per Google Map)

Attachment 1355296

Route 2: Kolkata –Ranaghat – Krishnanagar – Karimpur – Jalangi – Domkal (approx. 230KM –as per Google map)

Attachment 1355297

Please suggest which one would be better?

Also note the route 2 only follows NH-34 till Krishnanagar, is it troublesome to go till Krishnanagar on NH-34?

Any good petrol pump in this route for a pit stop?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,
Samik
Best of luck for your journey and most importantly update the road conditions on Route 1 (via Burdwan). Eagerly awaiting!
gearhead_mait is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2015, 18:35   #453
BHPian

I am also planning a trip in September 2015 on this route (goung to Tawang and then to Leh from kerala)
Kindly let me know the current progress of the 4 lane work. Or is it too soon to decide on the route?
Thanks
Old 16th April 2015, 22:25   #454
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renjith_Mani View Post
I am also planning a trip in September 2015 on this route (goung to Tawang and then to Leh from kerala)
Kindly let me know the current progress of the 4 lane work. Or is it too soon to decide on the route?
Thanks
If you are talking of 4-laned work in Assam, the road from WB border of Barobisha to Mangaldai/ Guwahati via Bongaigaon, Nalbari & Rangiya is mostly complete, except for several diversions due to culvert construction work.
hvkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2015, 12:52   #455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
If you are talking of 4-laned work in Assam, the road from WB border of Barobisha to Mangaldai/ Guwahati via Bongaigaon, Nalbari & Rangiya is mostly complete, except for several diversions due to culvert construction work.
Thanks for the update
Would you also be having any idea on infamous Kolkata - Siliguri route?
Old 19th April 2015, 14:06   #456
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the update
Option #1: NH34 via Krishnanagar-Behrampur-Morgam-Farakka-Malda-Raiganj-Dalkola.

Horrible jams. Very bad roads in some sectors. Terrible Dalkola level crossing.
AVOID.

Option #2: Calcutta-Bardhaman-Durgapur-Asansol-Jamtara-Dumka-Bounsi-Bhagalpur-Purnea-Dalkola

Panagad Bazaar could be a bottleneck at some times of the day. Roads are very bad between Dumka & Bhagalur via BOunsi, but you can also take the Dumka-Deogarh-Sultanganj-Bhagalpur route which is excellent roads.

Bhagalpur town is terrible jams sometimes, but worst-case scenario 30-45 minutes to cross the town. Further delay in the Vikramshila Setu bridge immediately after Bhagalpur. Rest of route is superb.

RECOMMENDED - but avoid Dumka-Bounsi-Bhagalpur, take Dumka-Deogarh-Bhagalpur

Option #3: Calcutta-Bardhaman-Darjeeling More-Siuri-Masinjore-Dumka

Problem is horrible jams in Darjeeling More, many more all the way to Siuri, tough passage through Siuri, but rest of the route is good. AVOID.
Old 20th April 2015, 11:42   #457
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the update
Quote:
Option #1: NH34 via Krishnanagar-Behrampur-Morgam-Farakka-Malda-Raiganj-Dalkola.

Horrible jams. Very bad roads in some sectors. Terrible Dalkola level crossing.
AVOID.

Option #2: Calcutta-Bardhaman-Durgapur-Asansol-Jamtara-Dumka-Bounsi-Bhagalpur-Purnea-Dalkola

Panagad Bazaar could be a bottleneck at some times of the day. Roads are very bad between Dumka & Bhagalur via BOunsi, but you can also take the Dumka-Deogarh-Sultanganj-Bhagalpur route which is excellent roads.

Bhagalpur town is terrible jams sometimes, but worst-case scenario 30-45 minutes to cross the town. Further delay in the Vikramshila Setu bridge immediately after Bhagalpur. Rest of route is superb.

RECOMMENDED - but avoid Dumka-Bounsi-Bhagalpur, take Dumka-Deogarh-Bhagalpur

Option #3: Calcutta-Bardhaman-Darjeeling More-Siuri-Masinjore-Dumka

Problem is horrible jams in Darjeeling More, many more all the way to Siuri, tough passage through Siuri, but rest of the route is good. AVOID.
My question to HVK would be:

With the progress of NH34 four lane work in full flow, would it still be wiser to travel 150 kms extra through Deogarh? Regarding the Bhagalpur stretch Hansdiha-Bhagalpur is in shambles.

Same case for the Plassey stretch in NH34, but NH34 provides four lane in many stretches where one can push.

What about SH7 though Burdwan connecting to Morgram? Any update on that stretch from anyone. When I traveled in January, that stretch had a broken bridge but work was in progress and also road repair work should now be complete as well. If that's the case, then nothing like this route IMHO.
Old 20th April 2015, 11:48   #458
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead_mait View Post
My question to HVK would be:

With the progress of NH34 four lane work in full flow, would it still be wiser to travel 150 kms extra through Deogarh? Regarding the Bhagalpur stretch Hansdiha-Bhagalpur is in shambles.

Same case for the Plassey stretch in NH34, but NH34 provides four lane in many stretches where one can push.

What about SH7 though Burdwan connecting to Morgram? Any update on that stretch from anyone. When I traveled in January, that stretch had a broken bridge but work was in progress and also road repair work should now be complete as well. If that's the case, then nothing like this route IMHO.
Why I have distaste for NH34 dspite some good 4-laned stretches - it sees heavy truck traffic, and some of the jams can set you back for several hours. Dalkola itself is bad enough.

On the other hand, the routes I have indicated through JH mean less populated stretches, villages & towns few and bar between, hardly any traffic - truck or local - and definitiveness in reaching your destination
hvkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2015, 12:48   #459
BHPian

Quote:
Why I have distaste for NH34 dspite some good 4-laned stretches - it sees heavy truck traffic, and some of the jams can set you back for several hours. Dalkola itself is bad enough.
Agree.

Quote:
On the other hand, the routes I have indicated through JH mean less populated stretches, villages & towns few and bar between, hardly any traffic - truck or local - and definitiveness in reaching your destination
As I have not taken this route before, how will you rate this route through JH and BR on a security scale? I have this question as all the time I travel with my wife and old parents on board.
Old 20th April 2015, 13:26   #460
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
As I have not taken this route before, how will you rate this route through JH and BR on a security scale? I have this question as all the time I travel with my wife and old parents on board.
Saumyajit, being from JH I can tell you that these roads are absolutely safe. And in the day time, you need not bother at all. Also, the place is Deoghar (and not Deogarh ) as it means home of God. It will be a wise decision if you opt for the Deoghar - Banka - Amarpur - Bhagalpur route rather than going through Sultanganj. This route sees less traffic and has better surface. Distance is almost the same.

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2015, 13:41   #461
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Saumyajit, being from JH I can tell you that these roads are absolutely safe. And in the day time, you need not bother at all. Also, the place is Deoghar (and not Deogarh ) as it means home of God. It will be a wise decision if you opt for the Deoghar - Banka - Amarpur - Bhagalpur route rather than going through Sultanganj. This route sees less traffic and has better surface. Distance is almost the same.

Regards,
Saket
Thanks Saket for the pointer!
I knew it is Deoghar, but lost it as a typo. I found one Deogarh as well in gmap (JH), though its way off.
I will try to explore this route in my next journey, though not planned it yet.
Old 20th April 2015, 13:42   #462
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Agree.

No safety issues by day. Perhaps you can avoid night travel - although I have not heard of any problems. The only thing to be careful about is that sudden harthal or rasta roko
Old 24th April 2015, 11:01   #463
BHPian

Any impact of the recent storm on this route?
Old 4th May 2015, 23:25   #464
BHPian

Hello all, this is old but the most popular thread on this subject of the state of the NH34, so thought I might get the proper information and suggestions here.

I have traveled to Malda last Dec,i.e. Dec'14 and while going took the NH34 and need not describe the horrendous experience anymore I guess, while returning took the Moregram Panagarh route, relatively better but still had to remain stuck in a traffic of 50s if not 100s of trucks and had to drive my Swift Dzire at a very steep incline,one side on the tarmac and the other on the dirt to overtake the stranded trucks to get to the head of the long queue stretching over a mile. So, I have some questions...

1. Any possibility that the NH34 has had some miraculous upgrade over the last 4 months?
2. Any updates available on the repairs in progress along certain stretches on the Pangarh Highway?
3. And finally, some member noted above about the state of some stretch of the road after Dumka to be in eroded condition, any update on that otherwise better route as noted by all experts here?

Any suggestion to a green horn will be appreciated.
Old 6th May 2015, 08:22   #465
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by themagicclicks View Post
I have traveled to Malda last Dec,i.e. Dec'14 and while going took the NH34 ...

1. Any possibility that the NH34 has had some miraculous upgrade over the last 4 months?
Resurfacing between Barasat and Krishnanagar has been completed. Some patch repairing was being done between Bethuadahari and Sargachhi. However, this stretch remains really bad. It took me 2 hour 15 min of drive time to cross this 57 km stretch in a hatchback on March 8, 2015. While it took us only 3 hour 45 min to cover remaining distance of around 200 km between Jaguli and Kaliachak along NH-34.

Quote:
Originally Posted by themagicclicks View Post
2. Any updates available on the repairs in progress along certain stretches on the Pangarh Highway?
I drove between Panagarh and Ilambazar on Apr 4, 2015. Resurfacing was almost complete. I am not aware of the situation between Ilambazar till Mallarpur. In between Mallarpur to Morgram, around 7-8 km from Nalhati towards Rampurhat was really bad in March this year.

Here is a pic of Panagarh-Ilambazar stretch (taken on Apr 4, 15):
Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-img_4269.jpg
gmhossain is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks