Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2016, 17:02   #766
BHPian

re: Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)

I too will be also shortly travelling to Kolkata from Siliguri and would request the other respected BHPians who frequent NH 34 to throw some light on the best possible route as of now.

Regards
Samrat
Old 26th September 2016, 11:39   #767

What we can infer from all the posts above is the best route now is through NH 34 however from Kolkata to Moregram there are 2 options one via Burdwan then SH 7 and other one all through NH 34.
Old 30th September 2016, 15:07   #768

Regarding the route for traveling from kolkata to siliguri

I see instead of taking the kolkata to morgram via NH34 (now called NH12), someone suggested to take the road via burdwan and then SH7 to morgram? Is the road safe and good? Why not NH114 through santinekatan, rampurhat and then to morgram?

Additionally, can anyone suggest the road i should take for going to gorumara? options are

1. Dalkhola to kishanganj to Ghosepukur to phulbari to jalpaiguri Jalpaiguri to Gorumara
2. Dalkhola to kishanganj to Siliguri to Sevoke to Chalsa to Gorumara

thanks a lot in advance
Old 30th September 2016, 22:04   #769
BHPian

SH7 is in very good condition and safe too. If you want to avoid last 10-20 KM moderate rood in SH7 you can take a right from Kulli and go via Baharampur but it will take same time I think. I have mailed you the details.

2nd - Why Dalkhola? Take Botolbari road to avoid Dalkhola, It will save both time and distance. Dalkhola is very uncertain.

After being on NH-31 (few km before islamur) you can take to Siliguri to Sevoke to Chalsa to Gorumara.

Quote:
Originally Posted by debb View Post
Regarding the route for traveling from kolkata to siliguri

I see instead of taking the kolkata to morgram via NH34 (now called NH12), someone suggested to take the road via burdwan and then SH7 to morgram? Is the road safe and good? Why not NH114 through santinekatan, rampurhat and then to morgram?

Additionally, can anyone suggest the road i should take for going to gorumara? options are

1. Dalkhola to kishanganj to Ghosepukur to phulbari to jalpaiguri Jalpaiguri to Gorumara
2. Dalkhola to kishanganj to Siliguri to Sevoke to Chalsa to Gorumara

thanks a lot in advance
Old 6th October 2016, 11:24   #770
BHPian

Gentlemen a quick guidance solicited.

Which is the least painful route to bypass Bhagalpur?

This
https://goo.gl/maps/vMWUckC5o3U2

or this
https://goo.gl/maps/wXorAA4z33t

The first route seem to be taking an outer road along the airport while the second route was mentioned by our respected FM shri rahul4640 sometime ago.

Or as a do we just brave the elements thro the main city along the default route?

Expecting to cross those areas tomorrow en route Sikkim (7th oct).

Thanks.
Old 21st October 2016, 09:51   #771
BHPian

Here are few updates on various stretches of this route based on our travel in last 10 days.

(1) SH7 (Kuli-Khargram-Panchgram-Morgram stretch: ~40 KM):

This has been the "not-so-good" stretch of SH7 for last one year or so. It seems that a significant stretch between Khargram and Panchgram have been now resurfaced. Here are few pics:

Resurfaced stretch of SH7
Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-sh1.jpg

Resurfaced stretch of SH7
Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-sh72.jpg

However, the rest of the surface in above stretch is still in not-so-good shape.

A bad stretch
Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-sh73.jpg

(2) NH-2B/NH-60 (Burdwan-Bolpur-Rampurhat-Nalhati-Morgram):
  • The top layer of NH-2B between Burdwan-Bolpur has peeled off mostly. So it's no longer a smooth drive that it used to be. However, it is still doable with moderate speed!
  • Mallarpur-Rampurhat-Nalhati stretch of NH-60 is now resurfaced and it's butter smooth. They are putting up a new toll plaza between Rampurhat and Nalhati.
  • Nalhati-Morgram: Patched up after monsoon. So it's just ok.

NH60 between Rampurhat and Nalhati
Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-nh601.jpg

(3) NH-34:

The toll operation (for ~82 KM 4-laned stretch) has began from this week for Farakka-Raiganj section of NH-34. The remaining stretches of this section are: Malda bypass ~ 10 km and Sujapur stretch ~8 km. The Barasat-Krishanagar-Baharampur stretch of NH-34 is also in reasonably good shape.

So overall, NH-2/SH7/NH-34 with Botolbari detour is the best option for Kolkata-Siliguri route now.

Cheers,
gmhossain is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 24th October 2016, 11:43   #772

Thanks GMHossain. That's very useful. I drove over 5 days on roads in South Bengal & found them in excellent condition.
prk265 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2016, 01:23   #773
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhossain View Post
Here are few updates on various stretches of this route based on our travel in last 10 days.
Thanks for the great update.

How is the Panchgram-Moregram stretch on SH7? Has that too been resurfaced, or still a detour through Nabagram is recommended?
1100D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2016, 08:15   #774
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Thanks for the great update.

How is the Panchgram-Moregram stretch on SH7? Has that too been resurfaced, or still a detour through Nabagram is recommended?
Thanks!

In fact, as you have mentioned, I also took the detour through Nabagram for connecting to NH-34! However, if I am not wrong, Sayak did the Panchgram-Morgram stretch through SH-7 at least twice around the same time! I am marking a copy to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayakc View Post
Hi Golam (and Everyone who frequent NH34), ...

With the recent developments considered, please suggest the best possible route from Kolkata to Siliguri. ...

Sayak
Sayak, based on your drive in last month, could you please update on the status of the road between Panchgram-Morgram stretch of SH-7 (last ~10 km of SH-7 before reaching Morgram)?

Thanks,
Old 9th November 2016, 16:16   #775

Guys,

I am starting from Bangalore on 16th for Bagdogra. This thread has been very helpful but I am little confused, which of the following are we concluding as best route? The left one or the right one which is in blue?

Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-screen-shot-20161109-16.14.00.png

In point (1) @gmhossain is talking about the left route.

Thanks in advance.
Old 9th November 2016, 23:29   #776
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit0rana View Post
Guys,

I am starting from Bangalore on 16th for Bagdogra. This thread has been very helpful but I am little confused, which of the following are we concluding as best route? The left one or the right one which is in blue?

Attachment 1574653

In point (1) @gmhossain is talking about the left route.

Thanks in advance.

Your Blue Route is @gmhossain's route number 1. Your Grey route is @gmhossain route number 2. Hope that helps!

Route 2 is longer.
Old 12th November 2016, 21:47   #777
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks!

In fact, as you have mentioned, I also took the detour through Nabagram for connecting to NH-34! However, if I am not wrong, Sayak did the Panchgram-Morgram stretch through SH-7 at least twice around the same time! I am marking a copy to him.

Sayak, based on your drive in last month, could you please update on the status of the road between Panchgram-Morgram stretch of SH-7 (last ~10 km of SH-7 before reaching Morgram)?

Thanks,

Since no one responded, took up the initiative to find out for the benefit for the community that has its interest in this seemingly inconsequential subject.

Please see my post in this thread

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post4091575
1100D is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th November 2016, 15:44   #778
BHPian

Did an unplanned trip from Kolkata to Dimapur on 14-15 oct 2016. Was a little unsure of the route to be taken between Kolkata and Siliguri so did a lot of research online and came out with the best route. Avoided the biggest hasle of trucks on this route till Farraka and bad roads. All set to leave on 14th morning.
Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-1.jpg

Took AH 1 or the Delhi-Kolkata highway till Burdwan which was the best road of the route and ended very early.
Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-kol-burdwan.jpg

Found some traffic at Burdwan town where we left AH 1 and started our journey northwards on SH 7. The road after Burdwan was good.
Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-20161015_083004-aftr-burdwan.jpg

Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-burdwan-sh7.jpg

Got a toll at at Nutanhat, and a two lane toll road thereafter till Mudda, we had breakfast on a Dhaba next to the Road after Nutanhat.
Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-2.jpg

Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-sh7-till-mudda.jpg

Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-20161015_090617-dhaba.jpg

Bad road with potholes in Mudda and after that till Khansama Dhanga.
Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-20161015_101921-after-mudda.jpg

Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-mudda-khansama-danga.jpg

The road after Khansama was quite average and later joined a four lane on NH 122B
Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-20161015_111149aftr-khansama-2.jpg

Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-khansama-four-lane.jpg

The four lane on NH 122B before Farraka. The road till Malda is good but you will meet a lot of traffic near Farraka and inside Malda town.
Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-four-lane-malda.jpg

Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-20161015_113645-bef-farraka.jpg

The route to Siliguri after Malda is average and has some short broken patches of road. The truck traffic to Siliguri joins you at Farraka and continues thereafter. Let me tell you that I've tried other routes as well but this is the best I've found till date.
Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-malda-siiliguri.jpg

Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-3.jpg

Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-20161015_161405-aftr-mal.jpg

An overview of the route between Kolkata and Siliguri.
Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-kolkata-siliguri.png

Last edited by Aditya : 17th November 2016 at 06:23. Reason: Correcting image orientation
gotcha797 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2016, 11:08   #779
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotcha797 View Post
Did an unplanned trip from Kolkata to Dimapur on 14-15 oct 2016. Was a little unsure of the route to be taken between Kolkata and Siliguri so did a lot of research online and came out with the best route. Avoided the biggest hasle of trucks on this route till Farraka and bad roads.
Will you please mention what time did you start from Calcutta and when did you reach Siliguri? Also, some pictures have come out upside down, so for the benefit of all the viewers, please post them once again.
Old 16th November 2016, 13:22   #780
BHPian

Hello Everyone,

Actually I did this route once again after the Puja vacations and wanted to hold off on commenting until I did it yet again. But then comes your query and hence my observations/ readings.

Calcutta-Siliguri Route:

I travelled along the Calcutta - Siliguri route 3 times in the past couple of months in a Maruti Swift.
  • First time did NH34 allthroughout and it took me 18.5 hrs - truck breakdowns, bad roads, jams etc.
  • Next 2 times did NH2 – SH7 – NH34-Bengal2Bengal-NH31. Took me Calcutta – Siliguri in 12 hrs+/- 30 mins over 2 iterations.
  • While returning each time from Siliguri, had stayed in Malda overnight and clocked 11.5-12 hrs(i.e. <12 hrs)of driving time each time.
Other Notes:
  • Instead of the Botolbari entry/exit, I took the Tungidighi entry/exit everytime. However, it doesn’t matter much to the recording timing.
  • Personally feel that the uncertainities associated with NH34 is much higher than NH2-SH7 section. Still uncertain areas are Farakka barrage area, Sujapur and Malda(see timelog).
  • Many thanks to Golam for having guided me on my first and second trips! Your support proved to be invaluable. Also thanks to Samba for having helping me with my queries on the Dankuni Truck jam during pujas.
  • PFA the observations/recorded timings for the Calcutta to Siliguri stretch.If you need return journey timings do let me know.Some of these timings may be approximate. But they should give you a generic indication.
Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-ccuslg-time-log.jpg

Hope this helps everyone.

Kuli-Morgram Stretch:
To be candid, I don’t exactly remember the name of the places. But per my driving notes/memories as you travel from Morgram to Burdwan here is the condition:

A. Road is resurfaced and good for around 10 kms after Morgram. It is a little narrow when compared to the Kuli-Burdwan stretch but still good.
B. After those 10 kms, road surface has worn out for most of the next 15 kms . Couldn’t maintain speeds of more than 25-30 km/hr in my car.
C. Near Khargram the road is again resurfaced (like A) for a distance of 5-6 kms.
D. Again road deteroriates after you cross Khargram and is bad until Kuli.
E. After Kuli, brilliant roads till Burdwan and on towards the city.

This stretch (Morgram to Kuli) of around 40 kms took me 1 hr 15 mins on a average.

The attached time log should help you with further detailed comments/timings.

Thx,
Sayak

Quote:
Thanks!

Thanks,

Last edited by sayakc : 16th November 2016 at 13:25.
sayakc is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks