Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2018, 17:24   #886
Team-BHP Support

re: Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)

I am unsure as to what diversion can be formed over the mighty Ganges river. Army constructs a make shift bridge, but can it be done for such a long/wide portion?

The other option is to go to Sahebganj or Rajmahal and catch a ferry.

Of course, Bhagalpur option exists and is the safest/best option available. I hope the bypass is opened soon so that some sorrow can be compensated for.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2018, 21:48   #887
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I am unsure as to what diversion can be formed over the mighty Ganges river. Army constructs a make shift bridge, but can it be done for such a long/wide portion?
I also don't think any `local' diversion is feasible for 12000+ vehicles a day! The railway lines could be used to run some additional shuttle trains, and also for some roll-on-roll-off services for goods carriage to maintain essential supplies across the river, in case they need to close the road fully.

Yesterday, we entered Farakka bridge at 11:20 am and exited from Malda end at 11:45 am. In other words, it took us 25 minutes to cross 2.25 km! Ironically, it was a very smooth drive as traffic never stopped moving. I had slotted in 1st gear while the AC was on and our Estilo crawled across the bridge with almost zero footwork (almost no use of break or accelerator)! The surface was pretty bad but not the worst that I have seen in last few years. However, both ends of the bridge having 4-laned road, the traffic pile-up is becoming real concern now.
gmhossain is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 26th September 2018, 18:00   #888
BHPian

I drove across Farakka on 23rd Sepetember, and right ahead of the Bridge over the Feeder Canal ahead of Farakka, faced tremendous traffic and Farakka took like eternity to cross.

In May 2018, Sujapur was so congested that it was virtually impossible to cross Malda, and I had to take a detour along the under construction Malda Bypass and take an underpass and then connect with the Mangal Bari Road to get back onto NH34, but surprisingly this time, Kaliachowk, Sujapur and Malda was so easy that it was almost unbelievable.

But then had to face another congestion onward to Darjeeling, Rohini was blocked to mortals like us because some VIP was supposed to travel, and the entire traffic was funneled into the narrow Pankhabari, and add to that dense fog and rain, and one can understand the ordeal. Upwards from Sukhiapokhri 8th Mile, fog was so dense that had to crawl at 15kmph almost until the fog cleared a bit post Ghoom.
themagicclicks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2018, 18:54   #889
BHPian

Oh my god! seems like I posted my comment without even reading the on going discussion! Hopefully Farakka is open when I travel back home on the 6th or 7th of October? any tentative date of repair and closure other than "fort-night", "middle of November" etc?
Old 3rd October 2018, 18:03   #890
BHPian

Dear Red Panda and Magic Clicks:

Request you to share the feedback on the Farakka situation on the forum please as an when on travel!
I am sure there are many who will be travelling during the Pujo break and any prior information will be highly beneficial.

Thanks,
Sayak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Panda View Post
Oh No! I have plans to drive to Siliguri on 13th October. Feeling worried now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by themagicclicks View Post
Oh my god! seems like I posted my comment without even reading the on going discussion! Hopefully Farakka is open when I travel back home on the 6th or 7th of October? any tentative date of repair and closure other than "fort-night", "middle of November" etc?
Old 4th October 2018, 12:42   #891
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayakc View Post
Dear Red Panda and Magic Clicks:

Request you to share the feedback on the Farakka situation on the forum please as an when on travel!
I am sure there are many who will be travelling during the Pujo break and any prior information will be highly beneficial.

Thanks,
Sayak
I will surely give my feedback regarding the situation. I am also looking forward to get some updates from our fellow bhpian who will be travelling during the same time.

Another point I would like to mention is that, I will start my journey towards Siliguri on 13th Oct at 9 pm approx. My target is to reach siliguri before 10am. Since I have traveled via SH7 - Moregram-farrakka-Botolbari-Dhantola-Siliguri during the day time, I am a bit concerned about my night drive on this route. So, I would welcome any suggestions and road traffic conditions during this hour for other experienced travelers.

Thanks,
Avishek.

Last edited by Red Panda : 4th October 2018 at 12:48.
Old 5th October 2018, 08:04   #892
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayakc View Post
It seems [1] that the traffic regulation over Farakka barrage road is being implemented from today (Oct 5, 2018)! The whole repair process would take between 4 to 6 months.

The key points of the report:
  • The bridge will operate for one-way traffic at a time
  • Between 7 am - 5:30 pm, there will be no-entry for heavy vehicles
  • Passenger vehicles and essential supply vehicles will be allowed throughout the day
  • Heavy vehicles will be kept on hold starting from Sagardighi in south (70 km from Farakka barrage)

Anyone venturing out along this route during this period, expect a traffic chaos. Also, be prepared to switch to the right carriageway as soon as you see truck queues ahead, as the left carriageway will be used as de-facto parking lots for 10K+ trucks!

Best,

[1] https://www.anandabazar.com/district...?ref=hm-topnav
Old 5th October 2018, 10:45   #893
BHPian

Thanks Golam da! God help us - I am going to the hills on 17-Oct so need to factor in a buffer. Lets look forward to the feedback from RedPanda , magicclicks and several other motorists taking the road!

Regards,
Sayak

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhossain View Post

Anyone venturing out along this route during this period, expect a traffic chaos. Also, be prepared to switch to the right carriageway as soon as you see truck queues ahead, as the left carriageway will be used as de-facto parking lots for 10K+ trucks!

Best,

sayakc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2018, 14:09   #894
BHPian

Given this situation, would it not be better to take the Dumka - Bhagalpur route? Its longer and commercial trucking, being a business, may not want to take a longer route.
Old 6th October 2018, 01:03   #895
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhossain View Post
It seems [1] that the traffic regulation over Farakka barrage road is being implemented from today (Oct 5, 2018)! The whole repair process would take between 4 to 6 months.

The key points of the report:
  • The bridge will operate for one-way traffic at a time
  • Between 7 am - 5:30 pm, there will be no-entry for heavy vehicles
  • Passenger vehicles and essential supply vehicles will be allowed throughout the day
  • Heavy vehicles will be kept on hold starting from Sagardighi in south (70 km from Farakka barrage)

Best,

Still in Darjeeling, heard the news on ABP, 7 AM to 5 PM they said, so there's surely going to be a huge queue of trucks, I'll be crossing Farakka on Tuesday morning, so shall update after that. If this continues, and proves to be a menace and if the Vikramshila is open after 15th, that should be the de facto route for a while then.
themagicclicks is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th October 2018, 12:14   #896
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blooming Flower
Even Vikramsheela Setu is also undergoing repair till 17th. Please advise in detail when to start from Kolkata and which route to take now. I don't want to stop 5-6 hours at Farakka and bring the fatigue to the co-passengers..... I need to reach Kalimpong early in morning of 17th.
Hope you don't mind me replying in an open forum as it is a general query and the charm of an open forum is lost.

Anything personal, one can take it to PM's.

Boss, if Vikramshila Setu becomes operational on 17th [which I highly doubt] then this is one route you can take, but since you have to be in Kalimpong on 17th [meeting/appointment?] and you need to be there, you have no choice other than taking the Farraka route in which I can't help much.

I can update when Vikramsila Setu opens and update about this route.
Sheel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th October 2018, 20:14   #897
Senior - BHPian

Do ferries still operate at Rajmahal?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 6th October 2018, 22:45   #898
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by themagicclicks View Post
... heard the news on ABP, 7 AM to 5 PM they said, so there's surely going to be a huge queue of trucks, I'll be crossing Farakka on Tuesday morning, so shall update after that...
Please do update once you return! It will be a key update to say the least!

Looking at the news video and social media noise, the situation appears to be not so bad for passenger vehicles crossing Farakka bridge during day time. The heavy vehicles are not being allowed to move toward Farakka during daytime so there are no major truck queues within 10-15 kms of the bridge on either side. So if I am not wrong, it would take around 30 to 45 minutes to cross the bridge during day time including one-way hold period.

Above doesn't look bad, if I compare it with my return journey on Sep 23, 2018 (Sunday), I could reach the approach of the bridge (by switching to right carriageway!) at around 5:37 am from Malda side and was able to get out of Farakka only at 6:25 am.

Here is a screen-grab from report on Oct 5, 2018
Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-farakkarepairabp.png

Approach to Farakka bridge on Sep 23, 2018 at around 5:30 am
Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-farrak_approach1_201809230526.jpg
Old 7th October 2018, 23:29   #899
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
The option is to go to Sahebganj or Rajmahal and catch a ferry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Do ferries still operate at Rajmahal?

Is it possible to get ferries (capable of transporting cars across the river Ganga), either at Rajmahal or at Sahebganj?
Old 8th October 2018, 06:18   #900
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4640 View Post
Is it possible to get ferries (capable of transporting cars across the river Ganga), either at Rajmahal or at Sahebganj?
At Sahebganj, this ferry operates but they are few in number and you might have to wait for ~3 hours.

Road to Sahebganj was not good few years back, unsure of now.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks