Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 26th August 2019, 17:41   #976
BHPian

Default Re: Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur. Avoiding NH34

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayakc View Post
... Do you also have any updates on the Dalkhola Bypass? I could see construction in full swing?
No, I don't have any recent first-hand update on Dalkhola bypass. However, it was supposed to be operational by now. I guess, it's delayed again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayakc View Post
Also, I suppose there is a Darjeeling travelogue thats pending from your end ...?
Looks like, I have become a lazy of late May be in a few days!
gmhossain is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2019, 16:31   #977
BHPian

Relevant update. Got back from Bhutan yesterday (Aug 25) to Kolkata. The Malda bypass is now closed as they are fixing the bridges on the road. Please be careful if you are going on this road after dark, they have cut open the slopes (or steps as they used to be) to raise and level them properly.

We were caught in a massive jam at the north end for a while and since the entrance to the bypass was not closed, we wound up getting on it. Had to get off it a bit of a way in and come in through the city and merge with the bypass towards the end of it. Saved us from joining the highway traffic that was backed up, but it is a horror show driving through narrow lanes.

It was open a week ago when we had driven up. It is not blocked off well from the south side, so you maybe accidentally get in and get on one of the bridges, which will be very dangerous.

Have driven across the country quite a bit and the Kolkata - Siliguri corridor is easily the worst of almost any of them. Can't figure out how is it that such an important route is allowed to be this much of a disaster. We took nearly 18-hours to cover Damdim - Kolkata, a distance of 620 KMs, and with the broken bridges on SH7, there is no single clean approach to the city from the north.
codelust is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2019, 17:56   #978
BHPian

2012 to 2019. It's the same.
Being from south of India all National highways are excellent.
Its an unusual case in West Bengal. Thought when Government changes things will become better which has never happened.
The timing to traverse the distance is the same. Thanks for the update.
I had traveled from Kolkata to Silguri towards Darjelling in 2012
gajadonga is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2019, 08:25   #979
Distinguished - BHPian

Appears I forgot to give an update.

Bhagalpur bypass is functional now.
Sheel is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2019, 18:31   #980
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishnipon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel
Bhagalpur bypass is functional. Since it is functional, you do not need to worry about timing or weekday/weekend.

You may face some traffic build up before Bhagalpur and the earlier you cross, the better it is.
Thank you for your reply. Can you tell me the exact point where I have to enter the Bhagalpur bypass, both on the way to north and on the way back?

Also, how is the current road condition from Dumka to Bhagalpur?

Finally, it will be really helpful if you can suggest a hotel in or around Purnea where we can stay on our return journey.

Regards,

Nipon
For your as well as for the benefit of others, I am replying your PM over here.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ml#post4598328 (Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur. Avoiding NH34)

This reply has most of your details. While coming from Purnia and going to Dumka, you will descend from Vikramshila setu and you will see the bypass bridge, you can't mistake it for anything else.

In Purnia, I can suggest a hotel if you need to stay on the NH and not venture inside, if you plan to come inside, there are plenty of hotels.

Just before Purnia 0 mile [and besides Tata Motors passenger showroom] you have Hotel Highway King. Manager Manish - 7488908199.

Dumka to Hansdiha - roads are good.

Hansdiha to Bhagalpur via Dhaka mor - not very good, but you can maintain 60/80 kmph on the speedo.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2019, 18:39   #981
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Appears I forgot to give an update.

Bhagalpur bypass is functional now.
That is excellent news Sheel. Based on my last driving experience, I had discussed with my kids & concluded that if we visit Darjeeling or Gangtok next time, will take the train or the flight instead of driving.
This Bhagalpur bypass being fully functional, surely changes the equation
Will now need to rethink for the next Hills trip.
goswami.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2019, 11:49   #982
BHPian

How is the Bengal to Bengal stretch to Siliguri if one leaves early morning on dussehra or nabomi night? Can the trucks be expected to stay off the roads leading to smooth passage through bottlenecks like sujapur/kaliachak etc?
hothatchaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2019, 15:10   #983

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRC83 View Post
An important note :

The SH7 route is now currently close from 3 km North of Nagar to Nakpur. Siliguri bound vehicles have to take right either from Kuli or Sherpur ( 3 km North of Nagar ). The road from Sherpur to Khagraghat more via Jibanti is in horrible condition.
Hi,

I am following this thread for some time and planning to drive to Darjeeling from Kolkata this puja. Can anybody give some update on the SH7 route. Is it still closed from Nagar to Nakpur. What are the other alternative if I don't want to take the Ranaghat-Krishnanagar route?

How is the road from Kuli to Berhampur?

Or how is the road from Bardhaman to Moregram via Bolpur Sainthia-Rampurhat ?

Any updates will be highly appreciated.

Regards,
Cmoran
chitta_moran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2019, 06:40   #984
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by codelust View Post
Got back from Bhutan yesterday (Aug 25) to Kolkata. The Malda bypass is now closed as they are fixing the bridges on the road.
After keeping it closed for more than a month, one flank of the Malda bypass has now been reopened! It should ease-up the traffic situation around Malda town.

Best,
gmhossain is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2019, 20:47   #985
BHPian

Just reached Siliguri, a brand new ROB is open over burdwan rail station easing the gridlock to badsahi road. Malda bypass is also open as Golamda has already reported. NH34 is in tatters especially from 20kms before raigunj to all the way to Siliguri. Truck traffic was minimal today easing the pain. Was able to take dalkhola without getting stuck at the level crossing.
hothatchaway is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote