Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2019, 07:55   #991
Team-BHP Support

re: Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhossain View Post
Sheel, did you notice any progress in construction work for Dalkhola bypass, specially the railway-over-bridge part? Also, how is the 4-laning work between Raiganj and Dalkhola progressing?
I did not spot anything related to the railway overbridge at Dalkola and nor the bypass for Dalkola. The work for both maybe on, but I failed to spot anything.

Raiganj and Dalkola 4 laning is going at a snail's pace. Not much progress to be honest. I believe, land acquisition is yet to be completed for this stretch.

Even if acquisition is completed, the construction, ideally would take up ~36 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhossain View Post
However, as per social media chatter, the surfacing work has started for Islampur bypass.
The delay is because of many bridges in the bypass. I believe, ideally, it will take 6-12 months for it to be functional.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2019, 09:06   #992
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Raiganj and Dalkola 4 laning is going at a snail's pace. Not much progress to be honest. ... The delay is because of many bridges in the Islampur bypass. I believe, ideally, it will take 6-12 months for it to be functional.
Thanks Sheel. In fact, HCC too is happily sitting idle and collecting toll rather than completing the stretches of Kaliachak-Sujapur, Malda bypass and Baharampur bypass. It's bit disappointing to see the such a slow progress of the work by the Indian construction firms in this route.

In contrast, if you look at the Chinese JV company RKEC-Qingdao Construction who won the tender for constructing the new 4-lane Ganges bridge at Farakka. They started working from January this year and by August they had already completed the works for piers upto pier-cap for more than half of the river width. Even during peak of Monsoon, their factory on the river bank was actively making the pre-cast segments for super-structure. They are going to use mobile mega-crane that will be hopping over the piers to launch the pre-cast super-structure segments and likely they will complete the new bridge much before the deadline.
gmhossain is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 24th November 2019, 13:34   #993
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
in November things have changed! Patch work has been done. So mostly its a smooth ride to Siliguri. Kolkata - Siliguri can be covered in 10-11 hours with sedate driving. Nh31 is also repaired mostly.
Thanks for the update. What is the ideal time you think one shall start from Kolkata for Siliguri, so that the traffic will be low? Do you suggest that I start at around five in the evening?
rahul4640 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2019, 18:11   #994
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
So mostly its a smooth ride to Siliguri. Kolkata - Siliguri can be covered in 10-11 hours with sedate driving.
Thank you, was just about to post for an update on SH7, driven last in June, and post that everyone was mentioning difficulties.

10-11 hours night or day driving estimation? I have to drive during the day because of the 3 year old.
themagicclicks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2019, 19:22   #995
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by themagicclicks View Post
Thank you, was just about to post for an update on SH7, driven last in June, and post that everyone was mentioning difficulties.

10-11 hours night or day driving estimation? I have to drive during the day because of the 3 year old.
During day time it will take atleast two to three hours more due to congestions at Kaliachowk, Malda(even though you take bypass) and the Bengal to Bengal road will also take more time than night due to lots of bikes, cycles, motor vans going like crazy throughout those 65 kms.

So I suggest you not to take any target of time and take it easy with more stops. Else you will get tired.
indrasis_gun is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2019, 09:07   #996
BHPian

My parents are going to travel to Medinipur from Coochbehar after three days. They will cover the distance in two days. Which route will be better- via Malda Farakka or via Bhagalpur Asansol? In case of Bhagalpur route, any suggestion on places of night halt? Also please give some tips and strategies . Strategies are needed when you are travelling via NH 34.
Old 10th December 2019, 08:46   #997
BHPian

My parents successfully completed their trip to Medinipur and Durgapur from Coochbehar in our Swift. They travelled in daytime only and each way in two days. The below feedback is from my father:
1. The road from Moregram to Durgapur via Rampurhat, Suri, Dubrajpur, Panagarh is in absolutely horrible state. Total 30 kms approximately is in good condition within those 150 kms. The road had very less small cars also, only hundreds of trucks were there.
2. During return they returned via Burdwan, SH7, Khargram, Moregram. This road is in far better condition.
3. They faced no congestion in the Malda-Farakka section in both ways.
4. Malda bypass is operational in one flank easing out traffic congestion inside Malda city also.
5. During return they came via Dalkhola instead of Bengal to Bengal road as they crossed Dalkhola arpund 8 am. At that time, Dalkhola was absolutely clear.
6. The Kolkata-Siliguri flank of Dalkhola-Ghoshpukur section has huge craters every now and then. Be careful if you are in hatchback or sedan.
indrasis_gun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2019, 12:40   #998
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
We faced a massive thunderstorm at morgram while driving up to Siliguri on dashami day. Battling poor visibility, I had to nurse my tiny hatch around and through the nasty potholes especially in the farrakka raigunj tolled stretch, the one right after the toll plaza at gazole. I wondered how could toll be collected on this stretch. When the ordeal was repeated on the way back, I decided to complain and logged one when back in Kolkata on 21 Oct on the https://pgportal.gov.in/ site which is the official grievances portal.
Received a response from the NHAI project director of the Malda unit. Quoting the relevant portion below.

Quote:
1. Initially, 4-laning work of Farakka Raiganj section of NH-34 was delayed due to land acquisition and
subsequent utility shifting work. Thereafter, with the help of District Administration, major land was able to handover to the Concessionaire by 2015. Encroachment at Badhapukur is lastly removed in Dec 2017. Upto September 2016, Concessionaire had completed 4-laning work in equivalent 81.6 Km length out of 100.229 Km total project stretch. As per Concessionaire Agreement, Toll can be collected by the Concessionaire after completion of 75% work. Accordingly, Concessionaire has started collecting toll tax only for completed 79.575 Km stretch from 19.10.2016 and not for the entire project stretch.

2. As on date, 4-laning work in equivalent 90.12 km length is completed and completed 4-lane portion is
in good condition. Some work is pending in Malda Bypass area, Aradhpur area and stretch between Kaliachak and Sujapur; however the stretch is potholes free.

3. The work progress by the Concessionaire is very slow due to tremendous shortage of fund and
resources of concessionaire. This office as well as IE team is continuously requesting the Concessionaire to expedite the work. It is expected to solve the issue shortly.
While much is made of the government's ambitious plans, its clear that resources are an issue, since this comes straight from the horse's mouth. However some repairs have been carried out on the stretches to and after Malda. Lets enjoy the highways until the next monsoon.

PS - I have attached a copy of the letter, the formatting had to be changed however to remove personal details.

NHAI.pdf
hothatchaway is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st December 2019, 19:07   #999
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
Received a response from the NHAI project director of the Malda unit. Quoting the relevant portion below.

Quote:
This office as well as IE team is continuously requesting the Concessionaire to expedite the work
While much is made of the government's ambitious plans, its clear that resources are an issue, since this comes straight from the horse's mouth.
What an irony! This section is under toll since 2016 with more than 110 crore annual revenue at present (as per exchange filling by HCC). So it is inexplicable that despite HCC breaching all major clauses regarding project completion, the authority is still begging HCC to complete the work, instead of acting against them!

As per Concessionaire agreement, NHAI should have employed third party contractor to complete the remaining work at the cost of HCC by deducting the cost from toll account. Instead, road users like us who pay the toll to drive on this stretch, continue to suffer

Last edited by gmhossain : 21st December 2019 at 19:10.
gmhossain is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2019, 12:36   #1000
BHPian

What sad state of affairs indeed! But somehow, this December, while driving down to Kolkata on the 14th of December, for the first time in several years, saw some reluctant dumpers dumping dirt on the elevated portion of the Raigunj till Botolbari stretch. Very reluctantly but still. However, since drove to the hills in December for the first time since June, enjoyed the "suddenly" completed stretch between the Feeder Canal Bridge and Farakka bypassing the famous Ballalpur Bailey Bridge.

Off Topic Note: Is there a post on route informations on status of roads in and around Sikkim and North Bengal, popular destinations and off beat ones, anyone including me who drive to West Sikkim, South Sikkim and the experts who do that more frequently than me, could put up valuable route information. For example, the route to Martam should be via Singtam instead of Sang Khola. Driving between Gyalshing and Pelling is through a very steep and narrow stretch, that can be avoided if you don't want a road as narrow as one hatch. To drive between Pelling and Namchi, taking the route via Jorethang makes you drive on a pretty broken road, and there is a road across the river right after Reshi Bazar, that is a narrow but well maintained route to Kamrang on the outskirts of Namchi and so on. There are so many bits of information we could use.

Last edited by themagicclicks : 22nd December 2019 at 12:54.
themagicclicks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2019, 17:23   #1001

Hi Folks,

thanks for all the inputs...

so what is the final verdict on Farakka vs Bhagalpur routes...as on date which is better?

I will be starting tomorrow morning in an Ignis with better half accompanying. We want to start early and do a night halt at Siliguri.

Regards

Jai
Old 1st January 2020, 16:48   #1002
BHPian

I haven't traversed through the Bhagalpur route but recently traveled to Kolkata through the Farakka route. I would suggest taking the Farakka route as the condition of the road is much better relative to the roads along the Bhagalpur route judging by the experience shared by others in this thread.
Old 2nd January 2020, 10:31   #1003
BHPian

Hi All,

I have just done a Siliguri - Ranchi - Siliguri trip. I had taken the Purnea - Bhagalpur - Dumka - Dhanbad - Bokaro - Ranchi for onward journey and Ranchi - Bokaro - Giridih - Deoghar - Bhagalpur - Purnea - Siliguri for return journey.

Siliguri - Dalkhola 4 lane good roads
Kishanganj - Purnea 4 lane bad roads, with some potholes the size of craters on the moon (avoid speeding here)
Bhagalpur Vikramshila Setu, no issues here, truck traffic may slow you down, however its running traffic.
Hope this information helps!
Old 2nd February 2020, 09:25   #1004
BHPian

Can anyone here please provide some update on the kolkata-Moregram Stretch,which road will be better NH34 or Kolkata-Bardhaman-sh11/sh6/7-Moregram.
Regards
Samrat
Old 2nd February 2020, 09:47   #1005
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samratrek View Post
Can anyone here please provide some update on the kolkata-Moregram Stretch,which road will be better Kolkata-Bardhaman-sh11/sh6/7-Moregram.
If you can travel at night and I will suggest to cover this at night, then, stick with SH's. Day time will have too much traffic.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks