Team-BHP - Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34) (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/121480-kolkata-siliguri-route-via-dumka-bhagalpur-nh-12-old-nh-34-a-9.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judemayne (Post 3044362)
Any one with detailed description of the road from Suri to Dumka onto Bhagalpur as the Google Maps show quite a few ways to travel between these Towns??
Any thing interesting that needs to take a small detour-any suggestions, please.

As far as I know Google Maps only suggest two but you should be using this one as others have used. Here is the URL http://goo.gl/maps/GKDmr. Please do note that the 15 kms from Massanjore dam to Pattabari mode before reaching Dumka is in a broken stretch and is being widened currently. Rest of the route is good. If you want to avoid that stretch you can try this route http://goo.gl/maps/gQywX however not much information is available about reaching Pattabari mode using this route. Hope it helps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judemayne (Post 3044362)
Any one with detailed description of the road from Suri to Dumka onto Bhagalpur as the Google Maps show quite a few ways to travel between these Towns??
Any thing interesting that needs to take a small detour-any suggestions, please.

I did the Siliguri-Purnea-Bhagalpur-Dumka-Massanjore-Burdwan-Kolkata route last week. It is in good shape except between Dumka and Pattabari (about 20kms). I can share the gpx file after a few days.

I am planning to drive from Kolkata to North Bengal in the coming long weekend.

I'll take the Dumka - Bhagalpur route as the condition of NH 34 is not good.

I am driving with my kid and might end up with a late start and I don't want to drive after sundown.

Please provide suggestions for night halt at Bhagalpur , Purnea and Dalkhola suitable for family and with safe parking.

Quote:

Originally Posted by black_panther (Post 3076152)
I am planning to drive from Kolkata to North Bengal in the coming long weekend.

I'll take the Dumka - Bhagalpur route as the condition of NH 34 is not good.

I am driving with my kid and might end up with a late start and I don't want to drive after sundown.

Please provide suggestions for night halt at Bhagalpur , Purnea and Dalkhola suitable for family and with safe parking.

What time are you planning to start? I know of somebody (not on TBHP) who passed Bhagalpur at about 5 PM due to various reasons including late start and reached Bagdogra at about 10:00 PM. The route is safe enough as per him once you are into Bhagalpur by sundown though traffic can be a little bit of a hassle. Maybe Sheel can help you out with accommodation in Purnea in case you insist you must stop at Purnea.

We returned safe and sound from the Kolkata - Dooars - Kolkata trip over the last weekend.

I took the Dumka-Bhagalpur route for both onward and return journey.

The onward journey was brisk and peaceful, but make no mistake , that was a fluke. It was the day after holi, so the roads and small towns were desolate.

The return journey was more eventful and took much longer. Overall, I had similar experiences like other bhp-ians. The salient updates that the worth mentioning are as follows.

1) Dubrajpur - Siuri road is in shambles.

2) Massanjore-Dumka is almost repaired. Only a few kilometers of stonechips, where the roadwork is in progress. But there are no potholes.

3) Around 10 kms after crossing Dumka, bridges are being repaired. There are several bottom - scratching diversions. Very careful driving is recommended for cars with low ground clearance. These diversions are over before reaching Hasida.

4)During the onward journey, I took the directions from google maps while crossing bhagalpur. It took me over the flyover to cross the railway tracks. The roads were smooth and wide. But maps made me take an unofficial link to get on the highway just before the vikramshila bridge. However, the link was not steep and can be easily done by small cars.
During the return journey, I missed the unofficial link, therefore had to drive in crazy crazy traffic inside Bhagalpur town, the roads were narrow and had lunar surface for a few kms. This was the worst driving experience of my life, the second being driving inside kanpur on the dusheera day and third being driving near the ghats at Benaras.

5)The IOC petrol pump just beside the tower at Dumka seems to provide cheap and good fuel. The mileage was excellent.

6)For academic interest : For those taking the NH 34 route, the link from belgharia expressway to majherhati more (in one of my previous posts) is now an official one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by black_panther (Post 3081887)
We returned safe and sound from the Kolkata - Dooars - Kolkata trip over the last weekend.
Around 10 kms after crossing Dumka, bridges are being repaired. There are several bottom - scratching diversions. Very careful driving is recommended for cars with low ground clearance. These diversions are over before reaching Hasida.

Apart from the diversions, what about the stretch of the road between Dumka & Hansdiha? Is it smooth and in OK condition? When I went through this stretch last year, I found that the road was also having several unmarked speed-breakers, some of them being difficult to spot. And The road used to deteriorate slowly once I proceeded towards Hansdiha. There were many potholes and broken sections too. Has the road surface been repaired?
I am asking because I wish to drive through this section at night late next month, on my way to Sikkim.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rahul4640 (Post 3102262)

Apart from the diversions, what about the stretch of the road between Dumka & Hansdiha? Is it smooth and in OK condition? When I went through this stretch last year, I found that the road was also having several unmarked speed-breakers, some of them being difficult to spot. And The road used to deteriorate slowly once I proceeded towards Hansdiha. There were many potholes and broken sections too. Has the road surface been repaired?
I am asking because I wish to drive through this section at night late next month, on my way to Sikkim.

1100D has done the trip after me and has the updates in another thread.

Apart from the diversions, the stretch was OK. It should not be a problem if the car you are driving is on the heavier side. Beyond Hansidiha, the surface is good, but there are occasional local markets to slow you down during the daytime. Budgeting 2 hours for the entire Dumka - Bhagalpur section should be enough.

As you are driving during the night, why not try the NH 34 this time?

Quote:

Originally Posted by black_panther (Post 3102684)
1100D has done the trip after me and has the updates in another thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rahul4640 (Post 3102262)

Apart from the diversions (due to culverts being remade at 10 places) between Dumka and Hansdiha, the Surface was just freshly laid and from the looks of it during the second week of April, it was just about a week old.

We also spoke about travelling this section at night.

Anyway before any further route update, I did feel that on the opening post of this thread the so-called Bhagalpur Byepass could be covered better. So referring to points within the opening post.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1100D (Post 2796885)
We reached Bhagalpur at 5 mins past noon. Infact its a good time to reach such a congested town. As post noon traffic starts lightening. Sheel had asked me to keep a watch for a right turn, just before I reach the railway flyover. However by the time the flyover comes to the view, the turn is behind you. But right at that point if you make an obtuse angle right turn into another lane there, you will meet up with the road you were supposed to take. Both times we took this turn! Next time I will know how to spot the right right turn. There is a "half-mandir" on the left of this junction on which this turn has to be taken!

Will identify this turn from crossing this board (pic below) just as we enter Bhagalpur (for want of a better landmark)

Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-dsc09840.jpg

The right turn will come up approximately 3.2 kms from this board

Alternately: there will be a largish Mosque (probably known as Hossainabad Jama Masjid) that will come up on the left about 2.1 kms from this board. After crossing this Mosque, drive for approximately 1.1 kms to reach this turn. Picture of the turn below.

As I mentioned in the opening post, the landmark referred to as "half mandir" is pointed. One needs to take a turn on the right side, from which a truck (marked in pic) is emerging from.

Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-dsc09841.jpg

A better look at the "Half-Mandir" that will appear on the left on the Dumka-Bhagalpur road (need to take a right turn at this point)

Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-dsc09843.jpg

Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-untitled1.jpg

Quote:

Once on this road, another 4 way junction comes up within 700meters or so. One needs to take a left turn here. The moment you turn, you will have a school on the right (as an identifier).

Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-untitled2.jpg

Quote:

Drive straight on this road, will go under railway lines, for around 1.8 kms to Kacheri chowk (Bhagalpur court).

Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-untitled3.jpg

At this junction, instead of taking right, if one takes an acute left, Hotel Rajhans International will fall on the right side a few yards from the crossing. Other food options are also available at Kacheri Chowk.

Quote:

At Kacheri Chowk, take a right turn (you have avoided the core Bhagalpur town area). Another 3.5 kms on this and one will see a wide road going on the left side to the Vikramasila Setu.

Will sub divide this section further.

From Kacheri Chowk, after taking the right turn, drive for 1.2 kms till one reaches Tilkamanjhi Chowk.

Take right again at Tilka manjhi Chowk towards Vikramshila

Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-untitled4.jpg

After taking the right turn at Tilkamanjhi chowk, drive for 2.2 kms (some of it in a very bad state of surfacing) till one reaches the Barari Bus stand, the road on left takes you to Vikramshila Setu

Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-untitled5.jpg

Here is an overall snapshot of the route

Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-untitled6.jpg

The distances summarised

Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-untitled8.jpg

Here is the googlemaps link to the route for a quick reference

http://goo.gl/maps/CwZly

Feel free to give me a shout, I know a person who lives on this route at Bhagalpur and can quickly get updates from him

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1100D (Post 3103920)

From Kacheri Chowk, after taking the right turn, drive for 1.2 kms till one reaches Tilkamanjhi Chowk.

Take right again at Tilka manjhi Chowk towards Vikramshila

After taking the right turn at Tilkamanjhi chowk, drive for 2.2 kms (some of it in a very bad state of surfacing) till one reaches the Barari Bus stand, the road on left takes you to Vikramshila Setu

From tilkamanjhi chowk, please don't take the right turn onto nh 80. The surface is extremely bad. Instead continue on the barari road and take the unofficial link just before the vikramshila setu. This road has a very good surface.

Quote:

Originally Posted by black_panther (Post 3103976)
From tilkamanjhi chowk, please don't take the right turn onto nh 80. The surface is extremely bad. Instead continue on the barari road and take the unofficial link just before the vikramshila setu. This road has a very good surface.

You mean this way right? Total Distance 3 kms from Tilkhamanjhi Chowk to where it joins before Vikramshila Setu.

Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-untitled9.jpg

1> What would be the landmark for the right turn to be taken as marked in the box in the map above.

2> You mentioned that the surface is good, but given Bhagalpur's traffic situation, how congested is this road? (The SH80 from Tilkhamanjhi, though has an initial bad surface, is not congested. After turning left at the Barari bus stand the flow is very smooth as well.)

Hi!

Folks are suggesting to stick to the main road & take the fly-over. Sometimes the other route gets stuck if a CV passes through or decides to unload cargo.

Hindsight also says to stick to the main route.

Going through the Bhagalpur town to Vikramshila is not a bad idea, roads are OK, although drive will be slow.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1100D (Post 3107934)
You mean this way right? Total Distance 3 kms from Tilkhamanjhi Chowk to where it joins before Vikramshila Setu.

Yes, that's the way.

Quote:

1> What would be the landmark for the right turn to be taken as marked in the box in the map above.
I followed the Google Maps navigation and hence I'm not aware of any landmark. But asking the local people does help in finding the way. They suggested the unofficial link to me.

Quote:

2> You mentioned that the surface is good, but given Bhagalpur's traffic situation, how congested is this road? (The SH80 from Tilkhamanjhi, though has an initial bad surface, is not congested. After turning left at the Barari bus stand the flow is very smooth as well.)

As I have mentioned earlier, I took this way only during the onward journey, that was the day after Holi. Therefore none of the roads in Bhagalpur were congested on that day. This surface was smooth with a white line for the divider and apparently looked less congested than other roads in the town.

I took the flyover over the railway tracks and drove straight to reach Hotel Rajhans. From there it the same, less congested road till Tilkhamanjhi.

Hotel RajHans is a very good option for lunch, however the food is spicy and they serve in good quantity.

I took the SH80 during the return journey on a Sunday morning. The broken road was congested as well, specially with auto-rickshaws, making driving more difficult on that stretch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by black_panther (Post 3108305)
that was the day after Holi.

I took the flyover over the railway tracks and drove straight to reach Hotel Rajhans. From there it the same, less congested road till Tilkhamanjhi.

Probably due to the fact it was day after Holi, otherwise the mess starts right from this flyover till Tilkhamanjhi. This is precisely the section that the Bhagalpur Byepass intends to avoid.

However one point to note about the Bhagalpur byepass is that, it goes under the railway tracks twice in quick succession. Vehicles (SUV/MUV's) with overhead luggage is less likely to make it through these underpasses.

Hey All,
been through this thread over the past two days and have gone through various updates since 2012. I have a similar quandary as Judemayne. Am travelling from Bangalore to Siliguri with planned night stops at Rajahmundry, Kharagpur and third night at Siliguri.

Had thought it best to skip Calcutta as it will eat into my travel time which I would rather spend in the Sikkim and Bhutan which are the destination.

So I planned Kharagpur - Bankura - Ranigunj - Suri - Dumka - Bhagalpur - Purnia and join NH 34 at Dalkhola. Planned with the suggestions on this thread and tracked on google maps.

I will be traveling in a SUV with a overhead Lugguage Box (Thule) which increases the height of the vehicle substantially.

is this OK ? Any suggestions on Better Hotels in Kharagpur ?

Regards.

Manmohan.