Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2023, 20:35   #1336
BHPian

Re: Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)

Hello,

Just for a heads up for people planning their holidays in Sikkim.

As per local media reports, it seems State Govt. of Sikkim is putting a ban on Home Stays, effectively making it illegal to rent or lease personal properties.

Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-001.jpeg

Thanks.
NaXal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2023, 23:35   #1337
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaXal View Post
As per local media reports, it seems State Govt. of Sikkim is putting a ban on Home Stays, effectively making it illegal to rent or lease personal properties.
Unrelated to the thread but replying nevertheless. The notification, as per my understanding, doesn’t ban the homestays at all. It only says that leasing or renting the homestay to any third party is not allowed, which is fair. Home stays are meant to lift and augment the income of a certain group of people while boosting tourism. More often than not, the home stay owners also get some kind of support from the government as well. The decision looks to stop the misuse of the incentives provided to the home stay owners I guess !!
ABHI_1512 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th September 2023, 10:00   #1338

Hello,

Another good news for fellow BHPians - The coo........ooo.....nti...nu..o..u.....s work of Kishanganj flyover finally came to end and the new flyover has been opened. I drove from Chanchal to Kalimpong on 10th September night and the previous stretch of potholed road is suddenly gone. During the onward journey on 6th night the flyover was still closed, but on return journey suddenly noticed that no diversion has to be taken after the Kishanganj Station and the straight lane is hitting the new flyover.

Along with that a bad news also follows that the road condition of NH 31 from Dalkhola to Siliguri degraded grossly. The Dalkhola to Kishanganj portion is very bad and 50-60 km speed may seem far fetched, though I am a regular driver of this stretch. Kishanganj to Islampur has some potholes and one has to be very cautious to avoid damage to the car to keep 60 kmph speed. Islampur to Siliguri stretch is still on the better side and apart from some pothole and rough patches around Chopra and Sonapur most of the road condition is good.

Happy driving to all my friends.
DrRC83 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th September 2023, 09:34   #1339

Quote:
Hello,

Just for a heads up for people planning their holidays in Sikkim.

Attachment 2502550

Thanks.
In my understanding the ban is on Homestay owners from leasing out their homestays to third party operators making it mandatory for them to run the homestays themselves. I don't think the ban is on Homestays per se.
Old 17th October 2023, 06:10   #1340
Senior - BHPian

What I hear is that the Baharampore Bypass will be "temporarily opened" between Oct 14 - Oct 30. Basically to tide over the Durga Puja rush. Subsequently it may be closed and re-opened on a need basis. Apparently the target to open the bypass "fully" end January 2024. It is expected by that time both, up and down lanes of the bridge over the River Bhagirathi, will be completed.

Watching this game of musical chairs unfold.
Old 22nd October 2023, 08:41   #1341

Good morning friends ,

In view of recent flood flush at the river Teesta the NH-10 has been obliterated at several places. To accommodate the communications of the Sikkim the following traffic routes has been established. Hope you will find it useful.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Traffic Advisory.pdf (409.9 KB, 57 views)
Old 26th December 2023, 20:25   #1342
BHPian

Friends- Planning a Kolkata - Darjeeling drive, a couple of days from now- in my Jimny for the New year. I am a solo driver. Would request for suggestions on route to take.
MobileThunder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2023, 22:01   #1343
BHPian

Hello,

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileThunder View Post
Friends- Planning a Kolkata - Darjeeling drive, a couple of days from now- in my Jimny for the New year. I am a solo driver. Would request for suggestions on route to take.
Personal Suggestion,

Kolkata - Barasat - Ranaghat - Krisnanagar - Berhampore - Malda - Dalkhola - Islampur - Siliguri - Rohini - Hillcart road - Kurseong - Ghum - Darjeeling

Expect single lane bad patch of around 25kms between Barasat to Ranaghat & few under construction spots between Ranaghat to Krishanagar. Otherwise, I can do this route easily in single day (Day light to Day Light) with Hatch or Sedan Class vehicles. However being winter, you may have to start late night to make up for the fog & early sunset

Refer here -> https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ml#post5548380 (Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34))

Berhampore bypass is operational but last time, a month ago, google maps were having trouble finding it so beware of that.

Thanks.
NaXal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2024, 06:33   #1344
BHPian

Thanks NaXal for the trip suggestion. Suddenly...out of the blue - the plan changed and this trip became a Jyotirlinga trip...covering Deoghar, Banaras, Ujjain, Omkareshwar, Nashik, Bhimashankar, Shirdi, and Grishneswar, and going back to Hyderabad.

I will do this trip in April, when I get my next set of holidays.
MobileThunder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2024, 10:38   #1345
BHPian

Quote:
Berhampore bypass is operational but last time, a month ago, google maps were having trouble finding it so beware of that.
Crossed the new bridge at Berhampur (both way) day before yesterday. No need to worry, just stick to the main highway and it will take you across the bridge. With proper markings present, google map possibly not needed at all.

I could see that the second bridge is also in advanced stage of completion. Now the other bridge also properly joins both sides of the river. Possibly six or seven vehicles of different types are parked on the bridge, including a large crane. With dozens of men working atop the bridge, it seemed to me that the second bridge should be completed very soon and we should soon have two separate bridges for going and coming back.
rahul4640 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th February 2024, 22:15   #1346
BHPian

Try and avoid Ranaghat during the morning hours. Spent an hour and a half between 8:30 AM and 9:50 AM covering 30kms before and up to Ranaghat crossing. Multiple diversions and stretches of road works going on for nee flyovers. Rest of the stretch was mostly good roads.
Old 10th March 2024, 21:13   #1347
BHPian

Today Sat 10th Mar while coming from Baharampur I found 2 major developments- a) both the flanks of Krishnanagar pwd crossing flyover is open b) Krishnanagar bound flank of Ranaghat 55 rail gate RoB is open to traffic. Hopefully all structures of Ranaghat and one flank of RoB at Raiganj gets completed in 1-2 months time
brownianmotion is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2024, 17:55   #1348
Senior - BHPian

Any update on the Raigunj bypass being open to traffic? Apparently one flank is ready for use but not opened to public as it is awaiting "ribbon-cutting" from our "netas"?
Heard that Ranaghat level crossing flyover has been completed and open to traffic. Is that true?
arjab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2024, 21:24   #1349
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
Any update on the Raigunj bypass being open to traffic? Apparently one flank is ready for use but not opened to public as it is awaiting "ribbon-cutting" from our "netas"?
Heard that Ranaghat level crossing flyover has been completed and open to traffic. Is that true?
Ranaghat flyover is operational and open to traffic. Raigunj bypass is scheduled to be open towards the Siliguri side soon enough. Will be in a better position to talk about the bypass next week.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks