Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2012, 11:42   #16
BHPian

re: Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
A small heads-up -

Bhagalpur bye-pass is functional now. After crossing Vikramshila Setu and taking the right for Bhagalpur town, one may spot a BP fuel outlet. Alongside it, is a left turn which will take you away from Bhagalpur's madness & chaos.

Post 20th June, I shall post proper pictures of the other way and its directions.
Hey Sheel,I am leaving for Siliguri from Noida Sunday Morning, 10th. After a night halt at Varanasi, I was initially planning to take the Arrah - Patna route and join NH31 at Bhaktiarpur, but with the situation in Arrah off late, am a little worried, considering my wife and kids are travelling with me. SS-Traveller suggested you would be the right guy to ask. What's your take? Alternatively I could also bypass Varanasi and carry on all the way to Gaya for the night halt and take the Gaya - Mokameh highway to join NH 31. What is the general condition of the above mentoined highways and is it okay to carry on till Gaya. I would not make it before 8-9 at night. Or any alt route that you might suggest.
Old 11th June 2012, 23:40   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
this time will go to Siuri (From Bolpur) through Sattore.
Quote:

However, I will try the more direct route from Bolpur to Siuri, without needing to go to Prantik etc (though the Prantik road is very good visually)

Just did this route this Sunday

However before describing this route, will first try to address the following, have been asked by others as well so it will help to document it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post

Assuming you turn off at Bardhaman & go via Bolpur, where does one exactly turn off at the expressway

Quote:

The turn-off (right) for the Bolpur road at Bardhaman from the DGP expressway comes up after around 6kms as you are flying past the Bardhaman PWD building

(pink coloured building). This turn comes up quite fast as the expressway curves to the left. There is an opening on the right. One needs to take this

opening to the right, cross the expressway, turn right again and within 100 meters turn left onto the Bardhaman Bolpur route (NH2B).

The right turn at Bardhaman from the NH2/DGP Expressway comes up at

26.4 kms from Palsit tolltax

51.1 kms from COCO BP Azad Hind Dhaba

6.4 kms from passing the Purtobhavan (wrongly referred in my previous post as PWD building). This building

Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-img_0493.jpg

The entry point is first marked by the transmission line (excuse the haziness of the pic)

Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-img_0495.jpg

The road curves to the left, masking the entry point, but this is what it progressively looks like

Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-img_0496.jpg

a little more closer

Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-img_0498.jpg

Once the right turn is taken, within 50 yards another right turn has to be taken as the vehicles are taking in the pic

Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-img_0500.jpg

The moment the previous right turn is taken, a road on left becomes evident(within 100 yards), though hid from view (the boards indicate that something is there)

Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-img_0501.jpg

A little closer and the wide road makes itself visible

Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-img_0502.jpg

Just 4 kms from this point is the level crossing (I had to wait 5 mins for the gate to open as 3 trains passed in that time)

Once beyond the level crossing this is how the road looks

Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-img_0504.jpg

Watch out for two culverts which are rather narrow and at an angle to the road, if there is a vehicle on the opposite side, be sure as to what it is about to do, on the culvert the space is very restricted for two vehicles to pass side by side. However this space restriction is not evident looking at the angle these make with the road. The second of these culverts at 15.5 kms from Level crossing at Bardhaman

Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-img_0507.jpg

Guskhara comes up at 24 kms from Level crossing at Bardhaman

There are two massive bumps (for low ground clearance vehicles) at 33.7 kms from Bardhaman LC and 9.6 kms from Guskhara Junction

Another aspect of this road, although the surface was smooth, are these culverts that are about a foot higher from the road and these can actually make vehicles go airborne. So if you like that, this road is promising.

Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-img_0518.jpg

As one nears Bolpur (towards the end of this road)

Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-img_0521.jpg

The entry into Bolpur on this road happens at Shibtola, here is a pic of the crossing (Shibtola crossing/more)

Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-img_0523.jpg

The road straight ahead is the one I had described earlier, but has now been completely metalled

Quote:

The road ends in a sort of junction after 48 kms or so. (On google maps its going to look like a T junction, but it is not, its a proper 4 way junction).

Going straight (though the road does not come up on G-map) is a village, gravel road that meanders through huts and reaches the Sriniketan market , the

startpoint of the Bolpur-Siuri route via Sattore. This road is the one to enjoy in Richard Burns mode, more-so if your vehicle is rear wheel powered, min

was! However since its a proper village road, theres always thepossibility of chickens crossing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post

and do you have to go through Bardhaman & Bolpur towns?
Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-img_0544.jpg

Take this road to go to Siuri, it takes 3.6 kms on this road to reach the Bolpur Siuri road junction (Sriniketan Bajar crossing/More). This junction looks like this, and you take the road straight ahead.

Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-img_0543.jpg

However the road on right (on the previous snap at Shibtola junction) takes one into Bolpur town/Rlwy station. (The road on left goes to Illumbazar)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
And over the years a market grows around the Rly Stn. Ergo, to cross the line, one has to drive through the market. So the question

is is it possible to avoid it?

Regards

Sutripta
Quote:

If you are talking about Bolpur, its yes, you can avoid the station area and is also recommended.

At the junction at NH2B (The Bardhaman Bolpur rd). There will be a wide road on left soon after it, take it. You will meet another junction, wide road, take

right, go straight till you cross the railway tracks.

Will take this road on right a bit to depict the way to avoid the Bolpur station area. This will be helpful if one needs to go to Prantik or Sainthia.

2.2 kms from Shibtola (once you have taken road on right at shibtola crossing coming from Bardhaman) is the Bolpur entry tax gumti. The tax is Rs 5. Right

after this toll is a road on left. This road is called the Kashipur Byepass.

Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-img_0527.jpg

Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-img_0528.jpg

Take this road and it goes for 2.7 kms and ends into a T-Junction.

Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-img_0529.jpg

The right will enable you to cross the railway tracks and then take the Bolpur-Prantik route.

The left will take you towards Illumbazar and the Sriniketan Bazar junction/more (for taking the road on right) for Siuri will fall 2.2 kms from this point. The junction to go to Santiniketan (ROR) will also fall on this route, its 1.5 kms from the T-junction.

This junction for taking the road on right to Siuri is the same as the one that comes up after you take the road ahead at the Shibtola crossing (after 3.6 kms). Only difference, coming from Shibtola directly one will keep straight, whereas coming from the Bolpur side, one has to take a right turn.

Now coming to the Bolpur Siuri route

3kms from the Sriniketan Junction at Bolpur comes up this makeshift brige, used to be a Bailey Bridge. This is the only section where the road surface is presently non existent.

Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-img_0542.jpg

Right after this on the left is the Kopai Resort.

Picture from the route

Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-img_0531.jpg

The smaller towns that come up are

Sattore about 7 kms from junction at Bolpur

Debagram about 10 kms from junction at Bolpur

Panrui about 15.7 kms from junction at Bolpur

Ultimately this road merges with SH6 at Purandarpur 24.7 kms from junction at Bolpur

Purandarpur town has narrow roads and although traffic isn't much but the busses travel real slow here and moreso if there are two crossing each other. However it is only for about half a km.

7.2 kms from the Purandarpur merge point is the Siuri Level crossing beside the railway station. One will have to drive through Siuri town to reach the other end of it, where it meets the NH60 (Panagarh Moregram highway) at 4.8 kms from the Siuri LC.

This is the view of the Bus stand area at Siuri, remember that this is a Sunday morning, its going to be more congested on other days.

Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-img_0533.jpg

Will describe the junctions inside Siuri as well for easy pass through the town.

2kms from the Siuri LC is this fork, keep right
Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-img_0534.jpg

1km from the previous fork is this fork, keep right
Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-img_0535.jpg

500 meters from the previous fork is this fork, keep right
Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-img_0536.jpg

NH60 is 1.3 kms from the previous fork. Go straight towards Tilpara Barrage Seorakuri (For Messanjore)

Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-img_0538.jpg

Now the big question is, does this route (Bardhaman-Bolpur-Siuri) help over Bardhaman-Bolpur-Illumbazar-Dubrajpur-Siuri?
1100D is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th June 2012, 09:06   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just did this route this Sunday
This is great! Now to digest so much information.

You should have borrowed the GPS from Sumitro.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 16th June 2012, 10:16   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by damanshaheed View Post
Hey Sheel,I am leaving for Siliguri from Noida Sunday Morning, 10th. After a night halt at Varanasi, I was initially planning to take the Arrah - Patna route and join NH31 at Bhaktiarpur, but with the situation in Arrah off late, am a little worried, considering my wife and kids are travelling with me. SS-Traveller suggested you would be the right guy to ask. What's your take? Alternatively I could also bypass Varanasi and carry on all the way to Gaya for the night halt and take the Gaya - Mokameh highway to join NH 31. What is the general condition of the above mentoined highways and is it okay to carry on till Gaya. I would not make it before 8-9 at night. Or any alt route that you might suggest.
I am really sorry mate that I couldn't reply to your query.

There are two routes. I have suggested most folks taking the route via Allahabad - Gaya. But this time around due to bad sections on NH 31, you may take the E-W corridor section. That is via Gorakhpur - Muzaffarpur. It is a 4 lane road and is quite fast with less traffic as near Forbesgunj, approx 40 kms of the road is under construction, but still worth skipping NH-31.

The Muzaffarpur - Purnea section via Darbhanga is deserted with less traffic, very few fuel stations & dhabas. It would be better to do it @ daytime.

Had my wedding on 13th, hence I was off-line
Old 18th June 2012, 00:30   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
This is great! Now to digest so much information.

You should have borrowed the GPS from Sumitro.

Regards
Sutripta
Righto! In hindsight, I should have refrained from going with my own flow and posted the two different items separately

1> Alternate route to Siuri
2> Roads within Bolpur to avoid going through the station area (this is no way connected to 1 above)

But then, whats done is done. Was doing another analysis, was expecting greatly different results but am perplexed by the similarity! (Later in the post)

Quote:

Had my wedding on 13th, hence I was off-line
Congrats man

Now coming to the question of the prefferred route to Siuri while going to Siliguri

Here are the alternatives

Howrah-Bardhaman-Panagarh-Illumbazar Siuri (last entry point)
Distance- 235 kms
drive time 3 hrs 7 mins

Highlights - involved driving on the opposite shoulder at panagarh for almost the entire town weaving in and out of the line, traffic was just building up early morning at Panagarh. During the day it takes about 20 mins at best to cross.

Howrah-Bardhaman-Bolpur-Illumbazar-Siuri (last entry point)
Distance - 229.2 kms
Drive time - 3hrs 1 min

Highlights - at the time this drive was made (afternoon) Panagarh would have taken atleast 20 mins extra to cross

Howrah-Bardhaman-Bolpur-Sattore-Siuri (last entry point)
Distance - 205.7 kms
Drive time - 2 hrs 54 mins

Highlights - driving at a relaxed pace from Bardhaman, so the time taken here can even be reduced further (without breaching comfort zone)

Now since the driving mood was different on the last two, its more like an apples to oranges comparison,

To be able compare properly, just the comparing of the distance and time taken from Siuri to Shibtola would be sufficient

Siuri-illumbazar-Bolpur (Shibtola) - distance 64 kms - time taken 52 mins
Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-pic-2.jpg
Pros- has no bottlenecks, wider roads, faster average speed
cons - longer route, many trucks (more prone to damage during monsoons)

Siuri-Sattore-Bolpur(shibtola) - distance 40.5 kms - time taken 47mins

Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-pic-1.jpg
Pros - shorter route (2/3) , takes 5 mins less, relatively scenic
cons - has a couple of bottlenecks at Purandarpur and Siuri
The LC at Siuri is infamous for gate-down time, once down. The corresponding LC on NH60 stays closed for shorter duration (being on a NH)
Moreover one needs to traverse the Siuri Bus stand, which will invariably be more congested on a weekday

These two runs done at the same time of the day.

Verdict - still confused!

Last edited by 1100D : 18th June 2012 at 00:31.
1100D is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th June 2012, 20:37   #21
Senior - BHPian

^^^
Guess as long as the Ilambazar road is OK, use it.

Quote:
The LC at Siuri is infamous for gate-down time, once down. The corresponding LC on NH60 stays closed for shorter duration (being on a NH)
Moreover one needs to traverse the Siuri Bus stand, which will invariably be more congested on a weekday
The satellite pic (and map) shows a track from just south of the Siuri LC to NH60. Any views?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 21st June 2012, 17:42   #22
Senior - BHPian

[quote=Sutripta;2812991The satellite pic (and map) shows a track from just south of the Siuri LC to NH60. Any views?

Regards
Sutripta[/quote]

You mean this one, right?

Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-siuri-railway-station.jpg

Looked to be an unpaved one. However from the entry of it, it looked going through a bazar type congestion. Moreover it is also close to the crossing. So if you have vehicles backed up long enough at the crossing, you might not be able to reach it.

But then, this could be a good alternative, should the LC be gates-down. In that case one can take a left turn and then drive upto NH60 then turn right to fact the other crossing and hope that the gates are kept open there.
Old 21st June 2012, 20:30   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You mean this one, right?
Yes.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 22nd June 2012, 10:28   #24
Team-BHP Support

Did the route between Purnea - Bhagalpur - Deoghar - Dumka - Messenjore dam - Tarapeeth - Moregram - Maldah - Dalkola - Purnea.

Purnea to Deoghar has good roads.

Dumka on wards, the roads are in very bad shape till Moregram save for Messenjore hilly section. That road is a driver's/riders delight. How I wish I was in my Ford or my CBR.

Till almost Raigunj, the four-laning work is in good progress, post Raigunj onwards, it gets slowed and will take some time to complete.
Old 24th June 2012, 00:12   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Moregram save for Messenjore hilly section. That road is a driver's/riders delight. How I wish I was in my Ford or my CBR.
I was in my Ford (the original josh machine) a couple of weeks back. Infact it was not only for the hilly section near messanjore but also the road between Messanjore and Seorakuri (Near Siuri). Not only enjoyed the roads and the car, but also the tyres. Flipside, big hole in the wallet, the black thing just guzzled whatever I put in its tank!!

Quote:
Till almost Raigunj, the four-laning work is in good progress, post Raigunj onwards, it gets slowed and will take some time to complete.
You mean, Moregram to Raiganj already has part of it 4-laned? What about that Kaliachowk?
Old 24th June 2012, 07:57   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
You mean, Moregram to Raiganj already has part of it 4-laned? What about that Kaliachowk?
Yes, one way or the other's surface is almost complete and vehicles ply on the same lane. Still the single lane is wider than erstwhile NH 34.

Kaliachowk? Don't recall seeing it.

The places where bridges are isn't complete and I have to visit Calcutta sometimes when the winter approaches. Thinking to take the good old NH 34.
Old 25th June 2012, 00:39   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Did the route between Purnea - Bhagalpur - Deoghar - Dumka - Messenjore dam - Tarapeeth - Moregram - Maldah - Dalkola - Purnea.
Wish you a very happy married life. Can you tell us something in detail about the Bhagalpur bypass?
Old 27th June 2012, 22:31   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Kaliachowk? Don't recall seeing it.
Recalled... Is this prior to Maldah? And are you talking about congestion? Yes, it took around 15+ mins to cross this stretch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4640 View Post
Wish you a very happy married life.
Thanks
Quote:
Can you tell us something in detail about the Bhagalpur bypass?
It is yet to be completed. I think it would be better to do the Bhagalpur stretch prior to 8 am or 8 pm.

Once completed, I shall up-date. (Looks unlikely prior to the Durga Puja though)
Old 2nd July 2012, 12:29   #29
BHPian

How about a route from Kolkata to Siliguri through Bangladesh.
Google map throws up another route

Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-untitled.png
Old 5th July 2012, 18:34   #30
BHPian

Hi All , request your inputs please ..

Would it be advisable to venture upto Murti / Suntaleykhola in Dooars in a hatch back in mid to late August time frame , either through the Dumka Bhagalpur route or via the NH2 - Moregram - Dalkhola route ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks