Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2012, 00:06   #31
BHPian

re: Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveTrain View Post
Would it be advisable to venture upto Murti / Suntaleykhola in Dooars in a hatch back in mid to late August time frame , either through the Dumka Bhagalpur route or via the NH2 - Moregram - Dalkhola route ?
No problem if you drive carefully in the bad roads of Jharkhand. Rest of the road is just fun to drive. And NH2 is now much better shape than what it used to be, although the road is possibly not so good between Krishnanagar and Moregram.
rahul4640 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2012, 09:30   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4640 View Post
No problem if you drive carefully in the bad roads of Jharkhand. Rest of the road is just fun to drive. And NH2 is now much better shape than what it used to be, although the road is possibly not so good between Krishnanagar and Moregram.
Thanks !. Any idea on the Siliguri to Murti / Suntaleykhola sections ? specially driveability with a hatchback during monsoons ?
Old 6th July 2012, 10:02   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Any idea on the Siliguri to Murti / Suntaleykhola sections ? specially driveability with a hatchback during monsoons ?
Sorry, no. I just went up to Siliguri (while going to Sikkim) on the last week of May, taking Dumka-Bhagalpur route. And I returned back taking the Dalkhola-Maldah-Moregram-Panagarh route, as I had earlier read in this forum that the Behrampur-Krishnanagar stretch of NH34 was not good.
Old 6th July 2012, 20:44   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks !. Any idea on the Siliguri to Murti / Suntaleykhola sections ? specially driveability with a hatchback during monsoons ?
No problems reaching the WBFDC lodges.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2012, 09:36   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
No problems reaching the WBFDC lodges.

Regards
Sutripta
Dear Sir

Is it ok to drive those roads to the jungle and lodges if one reaches Siliguri around 5pm?

How is the road towards Bhutan border at the same time frame. Safe?

regards
Old 14th July 2012, 09:54   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_factor View Post
Dear Sir

Is it ok to drive those roads to the jungle and lodges if one reaches Siliguri around 5pm?

How is the road towards Bhutan border at the same time frame. Safe?

regards
In those parts, it is dark after 5 pm. Siliguri, after Sevoke towards Birpara & Hashimara, is a wild life zone with possibilities of crossings but many of us have driven it by night without trouble. However, budgeting for 4-5 hours drive time to Phuntsoling, you will reach late and the India-Bhutan border closes at 10 pm, which means you will have to stay back in Jaigaon which has horrible hotels compared with Phuntsoling which has a slightly better choice. I would prefer to drive on from Siliguri so that I can go for the permits first thing next morning (Immigration Office pens at 9 am local time, which is 30 minutes of IST, or 830 am Indian time)
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2012, 10:10   #37
BHPian

Dear Shri Kumar

Thanks.
  • Is it possible to crossover to P'sholing if one reaches the border before closing time? It seems spending the at P'sholing is preferable to Jaigaon which, as you rightly said, is chaotic.
  • The above is my original plan. I am keeping the option of staying in one of the lodges at Doar jungles if that doesn’t happen. Starting from Tarapith at about 7am I guess it will be about 5pm to reach Siliguri taking into account the contingencies at Malda/Dalkhola blockages.

Thanks again
Old 14th July 2012, 10:13   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Shri Kumar

Thanks.
  • Is it possible to crossover to P'sholing if one reaches the border before closing time? It seems spending the at P'sholing is preferable to Jaigaon which, as you rightly said, is chaotic.
  • The above is my original plan. I am keeping the option of staying in one of the lodges at Doar jungles if that doesn’t happen. Starting from Tarapith at about 7am I guess it will be about 5pm to reach Siliguri taking into account the contingencies at Malda/Dalkhola blockages.

Thanks again
Yes, you are allowed to cross freely into the Bhutan border town of Phuntsoling without any permits, but the border is closed from 10 pm - 6 am. Ideally, stay in Phuntsoling, which has many hotels, and is also a clean place compared with Jaigaon, the Indian border town.

You can stay at WBTDC Jaldapara resort which is 1 hour before Phuntsoling, so that you can leave there next morning at 7 am and reach the Bhutan border in good time.
Old 14th July 2012, 10:22   #39
BHPian

Thanks. I guess that satisfactorily takes care of the only pending part of my plannings for a drive to Bhutan from Jamshedpur.

Now if only the Bhutan immigration was open on Saturdays and Sundays.
Old 14th July 2012, 10:27   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi All , request your inputs please ..

Would it be advisable to venture upto Murti / Suntaleykhola in Dooars in a hatch back in mid to late August time frame , either through the Dumka Bhagalpur route or via the NH2 - Moregram - Dalkhola route ?
The only concern is the condition of the roads at the fag end of Monsoons. Besides I guess the forests open up again after September.
Old 14th July 2012, 20:07   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,
Nothing beyond what Mr. Kumar has already said.

No problems with night driving. Question is, where are you going to spend the night? Beyond Siliguri, your options are Mal or Jalpaiguri (depending on which route you take), Madarihat/ Jaldapara, and Hasimara. These places shut shop early. Don't expect to waltz in late at night and find the reception counter manned!

One thing to watch out for are sudden bandh calls.

If you take the Jalpaiguri route, Ghoshpukur - Phulbari saves some distance and time. However, I would not feel comfortable on that road late at night. There is a LC on that route where one is very likely to be stopped. And it is almost adjacent to the Bangladesh border.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 14th July 2012, 22:12   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
The only concern is the condition of the roads at the fag end of Monsoons. Besides I guess the forests open up again after September.
That's what is worrying me as well , I will take the plunge I suppose. Thanks for the warning , I know that the forests would be closed , just itching for a drive and wanted to check out Dooars during monsoon.

Plan to start very early and reach Siliguri by evening, what would be a recommended place to stay in Siliguri on or near NH 34 ? Unfortunately Mongpong is all booked for my target dates , was seriosuly considering to make the first night halt there.

Any experience with the Dumka - Bhagalpur strecth during monsoon ?
Old 14th July 2012, 22:34   #43
Team-BHP Support

The East - West corridor section between Dalkola and Islamapur has started to depreciate fast and small pot-holes has started to make its appearance.

Islampur to Bagdogra is in almost okay shape. Post Bagdogra, all hell breaks loose as pItholes of varying size in length and depth (quite deep I must add) have started to appear upto Ford showroom @ Matigara, Siliguri.

@drive-train - Dumka to Bhagalpur is still in okay shape.

Last edited by Sheel : 14th July 2012 at 22:36.
Old 15th July 2012, 00:29   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
The East - West corridor section between Dalkola and Islamapur has started to depreciate fast and small pot-holes has started to make its appearance.

Islampur to Bagdogra is in almost okay shape. Post Bagdogra, all hell breaks loose as pItholes of varying size in length and depth (quite deep I must add) have started to appear upto Ford showroom @ Matigara, Siliguri.

@drive-train - Dumka to Bhagalpur is still in okay shape.
Thanks Sheel. Plan to take this route on Sat 18th Aug. Do you think there might be road restrictions in and around Bhagalpur owing to Id celebrations on 20th ?
Old 15th July 2012, 00:44   #45
BHPian

Quote:
... where are you going to spend the night?
At one of the lodges/resorts at Gorumara WLS. Here is the plan

20th Oct – Saturday
  • Depart Tarapith at 7am. If able to reach Siliguri by 2pm, then try to make a dash to Phuntosholing.
  • If arrival at Siliguri is delayed beyond 3pm, then check into one the Doar resorts.
21st Oct - Saunday
  • Spend the day at WLS as the Bhutan immigration is closed on Sunday.
22nd Oct – Monday
  • Early morning depart for P'sholing and queuing up at the immigration counter.
Quote:
... And it is almost adjacent to the Bangladesh border.
sounds risky.Thank you Sir

Most Viewed