Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2013, 11:06   #166
BHPian

re: Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)

Don't even think in your wildest dream to drive through NH 34 ,
and dont be lured by the fact that the people are saying soon
to be completed / 4 lane some place all this blah blah.

Kaliachowk is worse , road blockade by locals is very frequent
between the stretch between Dalkhola and Berhampore.

Strictly stay on Suri-Dumka-Bhagalpur route .

Last month I went through Bhagalpur and came back via NH 34,
I swear by all gods I will not use NH 34 anymore till 4 laning
is completed .

Bhagalpur route - All male passenger car are subject to frequent
security checks in this route after the last week incident , Culvert
work in progress on the stretch between Dumka and Bhagalpur,

P.S. A very nice fine dining restourant has come up on the other
side of ganges . after crossing Vikramshila , its on the right side ,
with a huge parking lot. I guess they started staying option too.

Cheers

Last edited by Captdey : 8th July 2013 at 11:07.
Captdey is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2013, 22:39   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captdey View Post
A very nice fine dining restourant has come up on the other side of ganges . after crossing Vikramshila , its on the right side ,
with a huge parking lot. I guess they started staying option too.
I saw a big hotel or a restaurant on my way to the bridge, while driving toward Purnia (from Calcutta), on the last weak of May. Is it the one you are referring to? It came on my left, before I was approaching the bridge from the Barari bus stand side.
Old 8th July 2013, 23:20   #168
BHPian

About 1.5 miles post crossing Vikramshila ( Towards North ) , there are some
line hotel on the left , on the right there is Petrol pump , just next to that
this 3 storey fine dining restaurant , it just opened sometime in early June,
ambience and interior was at par with Oh! Calcutta / Mainland China .
they were suppose to open lodging from end of June onwards.
Old 9th July 2013, 09:44   #169
Team-BHP Support

It is opened by one of the richest persons in Bhagalpur. His name is Mr. Ajit Sharma. While you may not know him, most would know his famous daughter

Last edited by Sheel : 9th July 2013 at 09:47.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2013, 22:59   #170
BHPian

While I was admiring the beautiful Interior Decoration
of this Restourant , they told me that this was designed
by owner's daughter . I must tell that she has got a really
good taste of designing , thank my wife , she only insisted
that we should stop here for lunch .

BTW may I know who is this famous daughter ?
I had a glance of the owner from first floor window.
this probably the best restaurant enroute to north Bengal.

Last edited by Captdey : 9th July 2013 at 23:02.
Old 9th July 2013, 23:01   #171
BHPian

Is Lodging opened now ? they were sceptical about customer for
lodging .
Old 16th August 2013, 15:04   #172
BHPian

Just came across this report in the Telegraph. It states that ALL A.C Buses plying between Siliguri and Kolkata has been stopped by all operators because of the terrible road condition of roads.

The report also states that even though the Centre is ready to convert the highway (NH34) into a four lane highway, this plan has been shelved due to the fact that Mamta didi refuses to acquire the required land. Shame, what a shame. For the sake of a few thousand land owners lakhs and lakhs of people have to suffer!!

http://www.telegraphindia.com/113081...p#.Ug3v_edBNIE

Last edited by amrisharm : 16th August 2013 at 15:07.
Old 13th September 2013, 21:16   #173
Senior - BHPian

Any updates on the road condition. We need to reach siliguri from Kolkatta. Which would be the best route and we are in bikes
Old 14th September 2013, 12:17   #174
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post
Any updates on the road condition. We need to reach siliguri from Kolkatta. Which would be the best route and we are in bikes
The same route Calcutta - Dumka - Bhagalpur - Purnea.

How many guys traveling?

Last edited by Sheel : 14th September 2013 at 12:18.
Old 22nd September 2013, 11:01   #175
BHPian

Hi,

I've to travel again with family & my Labrador from Hyderabad to Darjeeling during vacation either in Oct or Dec this year. Our 1st road trip to this region was in Ford Ikon 1.6 Nxt from 15 Dec 12 to 31 Dec 12 through the following routes :-

Onward - Hyderabad - Vizag - Bhubaneswar - Kolkata - Malda -Dalkhola - Siliguri - Darjeeling

Return - Darjeeling - Siliguri - Dalkhola - Bhagalpur - Dumka - Kolkata - Bhubanewar - Vizag - Hyderabad.

Just to brief a little, My In-laws are from Darjeeling, so we travel each year from Hyderabad on vacation but this was either by train or air, however after getting our pet lab (Bruno ) in Apr 11 we couldn't travel considering the distance & the issues involved due to break journey, formalities both in Indian Railways & Airlines etc.

We ruled out leaving Bruno in a kennel as we all love & adore him, staying away for 02 weeks without him was not possible. I finally made up my mind to drive from Hyderabad to Darjeeling in my Ford Ikon with the help of all the useful posts from the esteemed members. The biggest challenge was to find accommodation enroute, thankfully my colleague helped me out by identifying hotels in Bhubaneswar & Kolkata while we stayed over night at his house in Vizag.

Considering the travel involved each year & need for space (especially for bruno), I took the decision of buying my dream machine, Tata Safari Lx in Feb this year. The route from Hyderabad to Kolkata is excellent but the trouble starts to complete the last 600 kms of the journey, we had a horrible experience in NH-34 last year & there was an issue on our return journey as well at Bhagalpur where we actually had to take a right turn at a junction while the GPS kept asking to take left to Dumka, to double check we asked some locals who also confidently guided to continue in the same route while stating the stretch ahead for about 40km was pretty bad.

What in store was my worst nightmare as there was practically no road ahead & claiming it to be a National Highway-80 should be a crime I nearly drove for about 3hrs at snail's pace (only 1st or 2nd gear due to the completely dug up terrain in some places) in Bhagalpur-Kahalgoan route, which would put battle tank to shame but by God's grace our Ford Ikon bore the brunt in spite of bottoming out at several places.

I felt something was wrong as the GPS showed nothing, there were no sign boards & it was getting darker, finally I decided to take a chance & turned right when I saw a small asphalted narrow road under the "pradhan mantri gram sadak yojana" which took us through a lot of small narrow lanes before finally touching the actual Bhagalpur-Dumka main road it was then we all heaved a sign of relief.

Now since I can drive for longer stretches with the Safari, want to avoid stay at Vizag ( can't bother my colleague each year & no pet friendly hotels available either), head straight to Bhubaneswar, by pass Kolkata but not sure about where to take the night halt further while avoiding NH-34.

Requesting your inputs to plan accordingly

Thanks

P.S - The no of members travelling would self, wifey, sis-in-law & a friend besides Bruno.
Old 23rd September 2013, 10:10   #176
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemer8 View Post

Onward - Kolkata - Malda -Dalkhola - Siliguri - Darjeeling
The road between Malda to Dalkhola is in shambles. It is worst between Raigunj & Dalkhola.

Quote:
Just to brief a little, My In-laws are from Darjeeling,
Despite they being from Darjeeling, keep a stack of situation. Darjeeling is reeling under bandhs for past few days.

Quote:
Bhagalpur where we actually had to take a right turn at a junction while the GPS kept asking to take left to Dumka, to double check we asked some locals who also confidently guided to continue in the same route while stating the stretch ahead for about 40km was pretty bad.

What in store was my worst nightmare as there was practically no road ahead & claiming it to be a National Highway-80 should be a crime I nearly drove for about 3hrs at snail's pace (only 1st or 2nd gear due to the completely dug up terrain in some places) in Bhagalpur-Kahalgoan route, which would put battle tank to shame but by God's grace our Ford Ikon bore the brunt in spite of bottoming out at several places.
From Bhagalpur (while returning to Hyd) take the fly-over & keep going straight. You will reach Dumka. I believe there are no turns.

Secondly, instead of asking locals, ask truck drivers, if you can't find truck drivers, ask from multiple locals (at different points) before finalizing.

Again, on an intersection if confused, ask. BTW, avoid driving in Jharkhand in the dark if you can. Have heard of sporadic incidents by Naxals.

I can let you know about the situation between Dumka to Siliguri
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2013, 12:01   #177
BHPian

Hi Sheel,

It feel gr8 to receive the first post (in the form of a reply) from a Distinguished BHPian like you

Well, I guess having experienced NH-34 last year I don't wish to proceed in that route (Malda-Dalkhola) ever until they're repaired & would seek your advice on the conditions before travel.

The onward & return journey mentioned in the post were based on the earlier travel made, sorry should've been more clear instead of highlighting, as it has been perceived to be the route plan for the current trip as well. Infact need guidance & specific inputs on the route & stay after Kolkata bypass which is the most difficult part of the journey.

Thanks for the update on the Bhagalpur / Jharkhand (will keep this in mind ) & the travel to Darjeeling would be subjected to the prevailing conditions as you've rightly pointed out.

To go ahead with the trip, pet-friendly accommodation is necessary en-route. My first halt from Hyderabad would be at Bhubaneswar ( 1050 kms) considering non-stop driving (with small breaks) as roads are very good, but need another place for night stay after Kolkata By pass. It won't be possible to drive beyond 600-700kms from Bhubaneswar considering the road conditions after GQ.

Thanks.
Old 23rd September 2013, 13:02   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

I've to travel again with family & my Labrador from Hyderabad to Darjeeling during vacation either in Oct or Dec this year. Our 1st road trip to this region was in Ford Ikon 1.6 Nxt from 15 Dec 12 to 31 Dec 12 through the following routes :-

Requesting your inputs to plan accordingly
I really dont think Bhubaneswar will be the ideal spot for an overnight stop on a Hyderbad-Darjeeling trip. You just can do it in 2 days, so why stop over night at Bhubaneswar at all.

Hyderabad to Bhubaneswar though doable in one day seems pointless for you. There really arent too many good locations after Kolkata where you can stop, especially pet friendly ones.

And as you are going to spend 3-days on the road you are better off splitting it up as Hyderabad-Vizag, Vizag-Kolkata and Kolkata-Darjeeling.

Why would you want to do a 16 hour Hyderabad-Bhubaneswar drive, only to do a 7 hour Bhubaneswar-Kolkata drive the next day??

Another option you may want to check out is Hyderabad-Gopalpur and then Gopalpur-Kolkata. You should take about 13hours till Gopalpur and then about 10 hours from Gopalpur-Kolkata. Of course, do make sure to check that the few hotels in Gopalpur are pet-friendly or not, which may be a bit of a long shot.

BTW, which hotel did you stay in Bhubaneswar the last time which was pet friendly??
Old 23rd September 2013, 13:55   #179
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
To go ahead with the trip, pet-friendly accommodation is necessary en-route. My first halt from Hyderabad would be at Bhubaneswar ( 1050 kms) considering non-stop driving (with small breaks) as roads are very good, but need another place for night stay after Kolkata By pass. It won't be possible to drive beyond 600-700kms from Bhubaneswar considering the road conditions after GQ.

Thanks.
I am sorry, but I haven't done much after Messanjore Dam (on way to Tarapith temple). There should be an .xls file somewhere on this thread or maps with locations. Should help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
Why would you want to do a 16 hour Hyderabad-Bhubaneswar drive, only to do a 7 hour Bhubaneswar-Kolkata drive the next day??
Maybe he wants to do a longer route on day one & do a short drive the next day. He should be in a better position to comment upon this though...personal perspective is what I assume

Even I am curious about the pet friendly hotels & I (with couple of friends & family) might do a Puri road trip in a month, so I will keep a watch on this thread.
Old 23rd September 2013, 20:44   #180
BHPian

Quote:
I really dont think Bhubaneswar will be the ideal spot for an overnight stop on a Hyderbad-Darjeeling trip. You just can do it in 2 days, so why stop over night at Bhubaneswar at all.

Hyderabad to Bhubaneswar though doable in one day seems pointless for you. There really arent too many good locations after Kolkata where you can stop, especially pet friendly ones.
IMO that it is less tiring to travel more distance in a very good roads like NH-5, unlike in horrible tarmac such as NH-34. The idea is not to reach in 02 days but to have ample time in hand to complete the rest of 1100kms considering extreme conditions such as dense fog (during winters) which add to the woes.

I'll want to drive max about 600-700 kms the 2nd day & comfortably reach home by the 3rd day.

Quote:
And as you are going to spend 3-days on the road you are better off splitting it up as Hyderabad-Vizag, Vizag-Kolkata and Kolkata-Darjeeling.
In my earlier trip last Dec, the journey was split up as suggested above but as explained in my first post, I don't intend to stopover at Vizag (due to non-availability of pet-friendly hotels & also not to bother my colleague for accommodation again).

Quote:

The idea of driving 1000+ km at a stretch was considered based on the road conditions from Hyd to Bhubaneshwar, plus the advantage of checking in at a pet-friendly hotel known to me. I would be then left with another 1100 kms to go before I reach Darjeeling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Maybe he wants to do a longer route on day one & do a short drive the next day. He should be in a better position to comment upon this though...personal perspective is what I assume
we're perfectly in sync

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Even I am curious about the pet friendly hotels & I (with couple of friends & family) might do a Puri road trip in a month, so I will keep a watch on this thread.
The name of the Hotel is Venus Inn, Its at Bapuji Nagar, I had called up from Hyderabad to check with them if they could permit Bruno to stay with us in the room, we ensured he was quiet & taken in / out very carefully to avoid inconvenience to any guest. He behaved perfectly fine expect when there was a knock at the door by the room service guy .

Pl seek prior permission from the Hotel & confirm the booking prior to travel with pets. here's the link http://www.venusinngroup.com/venus_inn/

Most Viewed