Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2013, 20:46   #256
Senior - BHPian

re: Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)

Quote:
Originally Posted by me_sid View Post
And b.the NH31c upto madarihat how was it?. Total time taken for kol-Siliguri?
CCU - IXB 11hrs via Bhagalpur.
Siliguri - Sevok - Chalsa - Binnaguri - Hasimara - Assam Border excellent.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2013, 20:53   #257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
CCU - IXB 11hrs via Bhagalpur.
Siliguri - Sevok - Chalsa
Hi Sutriptada,

The said Bagdogra_Chalsa_murti how long it takes? And also I heard that NH31c near and post binnaguri is in bad condition. Can you please throw some light on that

Regards
Sid
Old 28th November 2013, 21:31   #258
Senior - BHPian

1.5 hrs. Approach Murti from Nagrakata side.
Around 5 Km of bad roads. Nothing to worry about.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 29th November 2013, 09:58   #259
Team-BHP Support

Nowadays, there seems to a jam on the Vikramshila bridge. It can occur at anytime and can stretch through the night.

I had folks from Purnia going to Bhagalpur for a barat and they had to return back after 1am as jam didn't relent.

Keep a flexible plan. I shall update when jam ends. As of now there is no timing for jam, it can happen anytime and can stretch upto 12-15 hours.
Old 29th November 2013, 10:55   #260
BHPian

Hi Sheel,

Is there any particular reason for the jam? And in your opinion do I drop this route? and go for the conventional kaliachowk raigunj one?

Regards
Sid
Old 29th November 2013, 20:23   #261
BHPian

Quote:
Jude saab, two things just for reconfirmation. a. Only the bhagalpur section was bad (for how long and from where to where if you remember sir) balance were good. And b.the NH31c upto madarihat how was it?. Total time taken for kol-Siliguri?
Me_sid we did it over two days-from Balasore to Bolpur and started from Bolpur at 0600 hrs stopped at Masanjore for over 30 minutes including breakfast. Was at the Southern edge of Bhagalpur at about 1100 hrs and crossed the Vikramshilasetu by 1245 hrs as Bhagalpur main road till the turn off for the Vikramshilasetu was jammed as they were concreting one side of the road and to add to it there was a lorry breakdown-it was hell!!
I reached Siliguri by 1700 hrs.
As we stayed at Sevoke the NH 31 C from there till Madarihat, even onto Hashimara has been resurfaced and a great drive less potholes in towns like Benaguri, Malbazaar, Birpara and the last part after you divert to Jaigon from Hashimara.

Last edited by Judemayne : 29th November 2013 at 20:25.
Old 30th November 2013, 10:54   #262
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi Sheel,

Is there any particular reason for the jam?
Well, the bad road surface resulting in break down and if a commercial vehicle breaks down, all hell breaks loose.

Quote:
And in your opinion do I drop this route? and go for the conventional kaliachowk raigunj one?

Regards
Sid
Can't really advise on this

EDIT:

I recently went upto Lataguri and the road surface is fantastic. You will enjoy a good car over here.

Last edited by Sheel : 30th November 2013 at 10:58.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2013, 20:20   #263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Well, the bad road surface resulting in break down and if a commercial vehicle breaks down, all hell breaks loose.

Can't really advise on this

EDIT:

I recently went upto Lataguri and the road surface is fantastic. You will enjoy a good car over here.
Okay then let me be a luck rider. Anirban (1100D) left today in the morning, let me see what he has to say. Unfortunately I won't be taking my baleno, rather I am afraid of taking my baleno, so there goes the enjoyment with a "car". But hope Airavaat (my XUV) delivers the bliss. I might have to stay overnight at Purnia so would be soliciting your help.

Regards
Sid
Old 1st December 2013, 00:00   #264
Senior - BHPian

I just used this route today. For various reasons, I had a very tough time.

Partially due to Bandh in Jharkhand, for which all entry and exit points of Dumka were shutdown. But somehow used 4x4 to go across fields, courtyards, under construction bridges, washed away dirt track etc to rejoin the route. Delayed us by 1.5 hours in the process.Before this, we tried in vain requesting to let us through, but the locals were non chalant.

Secondly road surface condition, upon entering Bihar was a stark contrast to last time in April 2013. Right from Hansdiha there were potholes, that slowed down progress and it got worse as we approached Bhagalpur. Vikramsila setu surface is gone, and so is the next 10kms to NH31, not sure how it got to this state. We could have taken a detour by the alternate road, but since we intended to have lunch at Vaibhav Inn, we had to take this route.

NH31 again, is fine till Dalkhola, then from dalkhola-till Kishanganj, the top layer on the road has peeled off at places, slowing down progress and ofcourse irritating, although these potholes are just about a cm or so deep. Toward the end the 2 lane 15 km stretch to Bagdogra is also completely gone in many places. Adding to my woes was that I was having to do this section at night.

15hours and 24 minutes of travel time. As against the 13ish that I had come to expect over the last few occasions.
1100D is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2013, 09:04   #265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post

Partially due to Bandh in Jharkhand, for which all entry and exit points of Dumka were shutdown. But somehow used 4x4 to go across fields, courtyards, under construction bridges, washed away dirt track etc to rejoin the route. Delayed us by 1.5 hours in the process.Before this, we tried in vain requesting to let us through, but the locals were non chalant.

Secondly road surface condition, upon entering Bihar was a stark contrast to last time in April 2013. Right from Hansdiha there were potholes, that slowed down progress and it got worse as we approached Bhagalpur. Vikramsila setu surface is gone, and so is the next 10kms to NH31, not sure how it got to this state. We could have taken a detour by the alternate road, but since we intended to have lunch at Vaibhav Inn, we had to take this route.

NH31 again, is fine till Dalkhola, then from dalkhola-till Kishanganj, the top layer on the road has peeled off at places, slowing down progress and ofcourse irritating, although these potholes are just about a cm or so deep. Toward the end the 2 lane 15 km stretch to Bagdogra is also completely gone in many places. Adding to my woes was that I was having to do this section at night.

15hours and 24 minutes of travel time. As against the 13ish that I had come to expect over the last few occasions.
Very bad news for us, those who are planning a trip to north Bengal during the month end.
Old 1st December 2013, 09:58   #266
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi!

When did you do this?

I am a constant on that route. (Purnia - Siliguri)

On Friday evening, I went to Siliguri & returned on Saturday morning at 2am. Distance of 187 kms dusted in flat 2 hours.
Old 1st December 2013, 10:54   #267
Team-BHP Support

EDIT time window lapsed.

1100D - Your PM quote is full. Tried to PM you but couldn't. Please PM me your phone number/s (if not a bother). Wish to catch up to discuss a bit.
Old 1st December 2013, 19:47   #268
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I might have to stay overnight at Purnia so would be soliciting your help.

Regards
Sid
I saw your this post now. Please let me know if you need anything.

Thanks
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2013, 22:46   #269
Senior - BHPian

Used NH34 on the way back (mostly for the sake of updating here) and boy it was such a pain, in hindsight now, the craters to the approach of Bhagalpur look like some mere obstacles to patiently see through.

Just reached Howrah home, after, I dont even recall how many hours. using NH-34 for going to Siliguri is best avoided like plague.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Hi!

When did you do this?

I am a constant on that route. (Purnia - Siliguri)

On Friday evening, I went to Siliguri & returned on Saturday morning at 2am. Distance of 187 kms dusted in flat 2 hours.
I did the whole route on Saturday evening, Purnea-Siliguri is fine, infact it was just the section towards Bhagalpur and on the Vikramshila setu and the section after that, I was complaining against. My judgement on that day, had a special influence of the Jharkhand Bandh. But we had a harrowing time after Malda today where a local town had blocked roads and the locals were mighty uncooperative, besides having kept utmost cool and we could sense that the locals were looking to provoke an altercation in many possible ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_panther View Post
Very bad news for us, those who are planning a trip to north Bengal during the month end.
End of December is still some time away, I would say, just do it, just dont plan on an aggressive or ambitious schedule.

Vaibhav Inn experience was Good.
Old 3rd December 2013, 22:57   #270
BHPian

Quote:

End of December is still some time away, I would say, just do it, just dont plan on an aggressive or ambitious schedule.

Vaibhav Inn experience was Good.
Let's see. I purchased train tickets after seeing your last post, as an alternate.

Most Viewed