Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2013, 23:08   #181
BHPian

re: Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post

Despite they being from Darjeeling, keep a stack of situation. Darjeeling is reeling under bandhs for past few days.

The Gorkhaland Agitation in Darjeeling has been suspended till 20th of October due to the festive season. There is talk of things taking a turn for the worse after the 20th.
Old 24th September 2013, 07:54   #182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemer8 View Post
IMO that it is less tiring to travel more distance in a very good roads like NH-5, unlike in horrible tarmac such as NH-34. The idea is not to reach in 02 days but to have ample time in hand to complete the rest of 1100kms considering extreme conditions such as dense fog (during winters) which add to the woes.

I'll want to drive max about 600-700 kms the 2nd day & comfortably reach home by the 3rd day.

In my earlier trip last Dec, the journey was split up as suggested above but as explained in my first post, I don't intend to stopover at Vizag (due to non-availability of pet-friendly hotels & also not to bother my colleague for accommodation again).

The idea of driving 1000+ km at a stretch was considered based on the road conditions from Hyd to Bhubaneshwar, plus the advantage of checking in at a pet-friendly hotel known to me. I would be then left with another 1100 kms to go before I reach Darjeeling.
The 450km between Bhubaneswar and Kolkata are as good as the 1000km between Hyderabad and Bhubaneswar.

And I suggested skipping Bhubaneswar as an overnight primarily because you wont find any decent place to stop after covering 600-700kms from Bhubaneswar. If you can find a place beyond Kolkata, where you can stay the night, then I completely agree on Bhubaneswar as an ideal 1st night stop.

But coming all the way up to Bhubaneswar, only to cover 450 relaxing kms upto Kolkata the next day seems pointless to me. Of course that may seem more comfortable to you.

Quote:
The name of the Hotel is Venus Inn, Its at Bapuji Nagar, I had called up from Hyderabad to check with them if they could permit Bruno to stay with us in the room, we ensured he was quiet & taken in / out very carefully to avoid inconvenience to any guest. He behaved perfectly fine expect when there was a knock at the door by the room service guy .

Pl seek prior permission from the Hotel & confirm the booking prior to travel with pets. here's the link http://www.venusinngroup.com/venus_inn/
That was an unexpected answer. I would not ever have thought Venus Inn would allow pets in its rooms.
Old 24th September 2013, 12:15   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
The 450km between Bhubaneswar and Kolkata are as good as the 1000km between Hyderabad and Bhubaneswar.

And I suggested skipping Bhubaneswar as an overnight primarily because you wont find any decent place to stop after covering 600-700kms from Bhubaneswar. If you can find a place beyond Kolkata, where you can stay the night, then I completely agree on Bhubaneswar as an ideal 1st night stop.

But coming all the way up to Bhubaneswar, only to cover 450 relaxing kms upto Kolkata the next day seems pointless to me. Of course that may seem more comfortable to you.
I agree with you on the above points, trying to figure out what could be the options to stay beyond Kolkata as I'm not finding a pet friendly place in Vizag either. Malda could've been an option but can't travel in NH-34 & no idea about suitable hotels either.

Quote:
That was an unexpected answer. I would not ever have thought Venus Inn would allow pets in its rooms.
Well I'm grateful to the Management of Hotel Venus Inn for according permission to keep Bruno with us in the room. They were extremely friendly & courteous.
Old 25th September 2013, 21:29   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Is there any deterioration of the law and order in between Calcutta and Bhuwaneswar that you are aware of? I am told by a T-BHPian friend in Facebook that recently there has been instances of bike gangs harassing motorist at this stretch. These bikers make the motorists stop, by claiming that they are involved in a hit and run case. And when these unsuspecting motorists stop, they literally snatch whatever they can get.

But last time I visited Puri five months ago I drove entirely at night, stopping for over an one hour at a tea-stall near Cuttack, so that I may show Nandankanan zoo as soon as it opens at eight in the morning, before the day becomes very hot. I never had any unpleasant incident.

This time too I am going to Gopalpur-on-sea. I plan to start from my home at Calcutta at around midnight, taking my almost nine year old Indigo car (Petrol/MPFI/100500 KM), so that I may reach my destination at around 10 O'clock. My car is in very much sound condition and I just gave it a thorough check up. Should there be any other concern, from the aspect of safety?
Old 25th September 2013, 21:54   #185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4640 View Post
Is there any deterioration of the law and order in between Calcutta and Bhuwaneswar that you are aware of?

Should there be any other concern, from the aspect of safety?
I dont think there is any serious issue of safety on this stretch at all. I have not heard of any reports of the kind of incident you are describing.

You are more than good to go for an all nighter on this stretch of road.
Old 25th September 2013, 23:01   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Is there any deterioration of the law and order in between Calcutta and Bhuwaneswar that you are aware of? I am told by a T-BHPian friend in Facebook that recently there has been instances of bike gangs harassing motorist at this stretch. These bikers make the motorists stop, by claiming that they are involved in a hit and run case. And when these unsuspecting motorists stop, they literally snatch whatever they can get.
This issue was reported in this forum couple of months back, unable to retrieve the post now, wherein a member had discussed this incident in detail. I presume it occurred somewhere in NH-34.

Quote:
But last time I visited Puri five months ago I drove entirely at night, stopping for over an one hour at a tea-stall near Cuttack, so that I may show Nandankanan zoo as soon as it opens at eight in the morning, before the day becomes very hot. I never had any unpleasant incident.
This route is safe to travel. I would however suggest, to be little cautious,while always selecting place for taking breaks during journey. The possibilities of rogue elements watching unsuspecting travelers & finding them vulnerable at such places cannot be ruled out.
Redeemer8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2013, 11:13   #187
BHPian

Folks, I am driving to Bhutan with my family during the Puja Holidays. Can anyone update me on the latest road conditions from Kolkata to Siliguri via Dumka, Bhagalpur and Purnea and should I take this road from Panagarh or is Bardhaman - Bolpur - Ilambazar a better option? Thanks in advance.
Old 26th September 2013, 13:05   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babuda View Post
Can anyone update me on the latest road conditions from Kolkata to Siliguri via Dumka, Bhagalpur and Purnea and should I take this road from Panagarh or is Bardhaman - Bolpur - Ilambazar a better option? Thanks in advance.
Bardhaman-Bolpur-Siuri-Messanjore is undoubtedly a better option, compared to Panagarh-Illambazar route, as the road condition is better. And the road condition is superb in Jharkhand. Only the stretch from Bhagalpur town across the Bikramshila bridge (till you reach NH-31) was not so good. But my observation is more than four months old and the road may have been repaired in the meanwhile.
rahul4640 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th September 2013, 13:15   #189
BHPian

Thanks a ton for the update. One other thing. I will be able to leave Kolkata only at around 1:00 in the afternoon. As I find night driving difficult these days, what would be the best place to stay at night so as to reach Siliguri within daylight hours the next day.
Old 26th September 2013, 14:53   #190
Team-BHP Support

The roads of Bhagalpur has been repaired of late, but I too was there around 2 months back & hence unsure of how it would be now.

babuda - You may stop over at Dumka. Bhagalpur has good Hotels as well. In case you decide to stop @ Bhagalpur, you may stop at either this place or at Hotel Sai.

To go to Hotel Sai, you have to take a left at the first overbridge you would encounter. (Right turn goes towards Vikramshila bridge & then Purnea) Then, would come a roundabout, still go straight & to your right would be this Hotel. But, that street is crowded, so bear that. Around 600-700 mtrs when the bridge ends.

There are other good Hotels on way as well, you can see the advertisement boards when you would be crossing Bhagalpur town.

I am unsure of which Hotels are at Dumka & about their location, hence didn't comment.

Last edited by Sheel : 26th September 2013 at 14:56.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2013, 15:40   #191
BHPian

Quote:
The roads of Bhagalpur has been repaired of late, but I too was there around 2 months back & hence unsure of how it would be now.

babuda - You may stop over at Dumka. Bhagalpur has good Hotels as well.
A question - how long will it take to drive from Kolkata to Purnea? The reason behind this question is that I have a friend and his family who are arriving at Bagdogra at 9:40 in the morning next day. If the Kolkata - Purnia stretch can be done say within 10 hrs, it makes sense to stay the night there, leave for Bagdogra the next morning, pick up my friend and his family and continue to Phoentsholing.
Old 26th September 2013, 16:53   #192
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
A question - how long will it take to drive from Kolkata to Purnea? The reason behind this question is that I have a friend and his family who are arriving at Bagdogra at 9:40 in the morning next day. If the Kolkata - Purnia stretch can be done say within 10 hrs, it makes sense to stay the night there, leave for Bagdogra the next morning, pick up my friend and his family and continue to Phoentsholing.
Babuda - I am unsure of the travel time between Calcutta - Purnea as I haven't done that route.

Of the place which you would encounter, I would say, I have been to Masanjore dam & from Masanjore dam, keep at least 6 hours with a cruise at approx 90kmph wherever possible.

Hope & pray that you are not stuck @ Bhagalpur. Bhagalpur has jams throughout the day & at early mornings & after 10pm, due to no-entry for HCV's after Vikramshila bridge into Bhagalpur town.

Though, I would say, Calcutta to Purnea should take 10-12 hours with 2-3 breaks thrown in. One long break & two short ones, maybe totaling an hour to 1hour 30 mins.

Once you hit NH-31, its a breeze all the way till ~15kms prior to Siliguri.
Old 26th September 2013, 17:03   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Kolkata to Purnea is about 520kms through dumka, considering your departure only at 1300hrs, road conditions, traffic it wouldn't be possible to cover this distance in 10hrs unless you maintain very good speed.

Bhagalpur may be better option to stay which is about 380kms from Kolkata & you can start early morning the next day to reach at the scheduled time in Bagdogra.

The distance would be about 250kms from Bhagalpur to Bagdogra & the roads from Dalkhola to Bagdogra ( 120kms) are very good (4 laned), you can easily cover this distance in 4-5hrs. check for the road condition upto Phoentsholing(via Hashimhara), they were quite bad couple of years back.
Old 26th September 2013, 17:07   #194
BHPian

Quote:
I have been to Masanjore dam & from Masanjore dam, keep at least 6 hours with a cruise at approx 90kmph wherever possible.
A clarification if possible: On the way to Dumka from Massanjore and just prior to entering Dumka, Google Maps shows that you need to take a left turn off the main highway, go past Sristhi Pahar, Kurwa Water Plant, the airport and re-join the highway somewhere close to Ambedkar Chowk.

Google Maps also shows a By-Pass road starting at this exact spot where one is supposed to re-join the highway (near Ambedkar Chowk). This By-Pass road connects to the highway beyond Tower Chowk. Confused as to which is the correct road that I should take.
Old 26th September 2013, 17:33   #195
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Bhagalpur to Bagdogra & the roads from Dalkhola to Bagdogra ( 120kms) are very good (4 laned), you can easily cover this distance in 4-5hrs.
As I said earlier, once you hit NH-31, its a breeze. NH-31 from Naugachia onwards is very wide, maybe wider than the 4 lane road.

Road conditions are exemplary as well.

Quote:
Confused as to which is the correct road that I should take.
I am sorry, but cannot help you on this as only once I have been to Dumka and I wasn't driving, but am sure other highway trippers will clarify this prior to your trip.

Most Viewed