Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2014, 01:59   #316
VMB
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redracham View Post
VMB - I went up to Siliguri last month. I took your Route 1 for my onward journey and while coming back I took Route 4. In my opinion, your should take Route 4 for both legs.
Have read your trip details. Seems like the roads are better for most of the stretch mentioned in Route 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Take either of these, the second option is better, however you'll have to endure a 4km dirt/rough road detour near Guskhara (What vehicle?)
I'll be driving a Fiat Linea...I think I'll try Route 2 while going to Siliguri & Route 4 (As advised by redracham) while coming back so that I can explore different places & it won't be boring too

Last edited by Technocrat : 27th March 2014 at 03:00.
Old 27th March 2014, 02:19   #317
BHPian

re: Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Take either of these, the second option is better, however you'll have to endure a 4km dirt/rough road detour near Guskhara (What vehicle?)

At Bhagalpur, at Tilka Manjhi chowk, instead of taking a right turn into the treacherous road where concretisation is taking place, continue straight till the shamshan/crematorium (Via Mt Carmel School), then ask locals to guide you to Vikramsila setu.

Dont miss the Bhagalpur bypass prior to that. While coming from Dumka into Bhagalpur, watch out for a small mandir on the left side at a particular junction (very non descript), you have to take a right at this point. However if you cross this, you'll soon see a flyover and when you do that, remind yourself that you have just missed the Bhagalpur bypass, you can take a U-turn there as there is a small galli at an obtuse angle on the right, that also connects to the bypass. Ask for directions to Kacheri chowk or tilkhamanjhi chowk at this point if you have confusion (Tilkhamanjhi comes after Kacheri chowk)
1100D Sir - I am not sure that the detour near Guskhara is required any more. Is it because of the broken culvert? If so, then a temporary bridge has been constructed there, where 1 vehicle can pass at a time.

VMB - If you have to choose between Route 1 and 2, then choose 2. The conditions are better till Siuri.

About the Bhagalpur by pass - by all means take the u-turn if you hit the flyover, because all hell breaks loose after that. Follow google maps, it accurately shows the right turn to by pass the city.
redracham is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2014, 19:07   #318
VMB
BHPian

Quote:
VMB - If you have to choose between Route 1 and 2, then choose 2. The conditions are better till Siuri.
Could you tell me the time taken for your inward and outward journey? Just to know the time difference considering the fact that there is around 100km difference in Route 2 I mentioned.
Old 27th March 2014, 19:22   #319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMB View Post
Could you tell me the time taken for your inward and outward journey? Just to know the time difference considering the fact that there is around 100km difference in Route 2 I mentioned.
Your question is answered in this, its not a 100km difference.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2811953

The distances mentioned on your original post are inaccurate/incorrect, for example, Kolkata-Bardhaman = 146kms.
1100D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2014, 10:01   #320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMB View Post
VMB - Onward journey took me about 18 hours to Siliguri and return was about 17 hours.

But time taken by me cannot be an indicator as I had to take quite a few stops (was traveling with a 2 year old).
Old 30th March 2014, 19:08   #321
BHPian

I would definitely recommend route 2, as now there is temporary bridge in place near the broken culvert.
Old 7th April 2014, 10:07   #322
Team-BHP Support

Forgot to update. A friend says, the NH-34 from Maldah to Dalkola is in better condition compared to what it was earlier. Some 15 odd kms are in dismal shape, rest has been taken care of.

If any one can verify this.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2014, 11:16   #323
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Forgot to update. A friend says, the NH-34 from Maldah to Dalkola is in better condition compared to what it was earlier. Some 15 odd kms are in dismal shape, rest has been taken care of.

If any one can verify this.
However, Dalkola town can be the most miserable town to cross - jams can last a long time, not counting time lost in the rail level crossing - and roads south of Malda especially Kaliachowk can be also pretty bad. I would still prefer the Purnea-Bhagalpur-Dumka route
Old 7th April 2014, 22:44   #324
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
However, Dalkola town can be the most miserable town to cross - jams can last a long time, not counting time lost in the rail level crossing - and roads south of Malda especially Kaliachowk can be also pretty bad. I would still prefer the Purnea-Bhagalpur-Dumka route
Sir, just as an alternate & a heads-up. I might go to Tarapeeth tomorrow & in case I take the Maldah route, will get back & share.
Old 15th April 2014, 13:54   #325
BHPian

Why do you advise against the Route 4?
I intent to do this journey in an Octavia gen.1 in the coming week, there will be 3 of in the car? We intend to leave from Calcutta early in thge morning, is this route safe to take?

Quote:
I may be mistaken here. It is either Purnia Dalkhola or the stretch between Maranga and Gulabagh/Damka (which bypasses Purnia). But what I remember is that I took a right turn from a junction and got this newly laid down single lane highway. I was following Google Maps. Eventually this road led to a 4-lane highway. We stopped at BP Dalkhola for dinner.

The detour is not required anymore. A one lane temporary bridge has been constructed right next to the construction area.

VMB - I went up to Siliguri last month. I took your Route 1 for my onward journey and while coming back I took Route 4. In my opinion, your should take Route 4 for both legs.
[quote=VMB;3399543]Im planning to go to Siliguri from Kolkata next month. After doing a study, here are the 4 route options I found. Which one of them is the best??

Kolkata - Siliguri - 583km (Route 4 - Not Advised)

Kolkata - Bardhaman - 146km - AH 1, Grand Trunk Road NH 13
Bardhaman - Moregram - 132km - SH 8, SH7
Moregram - Farakka - 70km - NH 34
Farakka - English Bazzar - 34km - NH34
English Bazzar - Raiganj - 73km - NH34
Raiganj - Dalkhola - 47km - NH34
Dalkhola - Islampur - 60km - NH 31
Islampur - Siliguri - 75km - NH 31
Old 15th April 2014, 14:22   #326
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanu28 View Post
We intend to leave from Calcutta early in thge morning, is this route safe to take?
Yes. We drove on this route in the reverse direction in April 2012 in our erstwhile Linea. The road was far better than NH 34. But, there were no facilities between Moregram and Barddhaman. The details are here.

Old 15th April 2014, 23:51   #327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanu28 View Post
Why do you advise against the Route 4?
If the question is for me, then I defend that I am actually in favour of Route 4 (Bardhaman bypass - Bolpur - Saithia - Rampurhat - Moregram and onwards to Farakka, etc.

On a related note,
  • Kolkata to Baharampur is about 200 kms on NH 34.
  • I drove upto Barajaguli on the same road which is about 50 kms and found it to be in a decent condition though a single lane highway with no signs of 4-laning and pretty heavy traffic.
  • But I also saw signs of roadwork after that.
  • The stretch between Baharampur and Farakka via Moregram has been almost completed.
  • One of the earlier post indicates that Farakka to Islampur via Dalkhola is in much better shape if compared with conditions 1-2 years back. I confirm that with certain reservations, especially if you are planning to drive at night
  • Recently I spoke to a driver who had driven from Siliguri to Kolkata via NH 34 all along casually said that the roads a okay from Baharampur. I am not too sure if I can trust his words, but it is still an indication/data point
  • Another source (a bus driver of Kolkata-Siliguri route with whom I managed to speak) did mention that conditions between Kolkata and Farakka are generally better than Farakka and Siliguri. Still cannot rely on this information.
  • If I assume the entire stretch beyond Barajaguli and Baharampur is under construction and full of diversions, then the bad/unknown stretch is about 150 kms that has stretches of completed 4-lanes

My point is, that I am willing to bet on NH 34 all along till Siliguri in today's condition. I think it is worth a shot.

In my opinion, both routes are safe to drive under normal conditions (read non election seasons) both during day and night.
Old 8th May 2014, 19:21   #328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
To go to that B-road if you are coming from Bhagalpur side -

Once you cross Vikramshila setu and as soon as you cross the divided section of the road, to your right, you would spot a small road. Take that. After ~10 kms, you would come across a T point. You may take either right or left.

If you take left, within a kilometer, you shall come across a chowk & you have to take a right to join NH-31 at Naugachia.

If you take the right turn at the T-junction, keep going straight till you come across a T-junction again. Take a left & within next 1.5kms (approx) you will come across a chowk, take the right & you are on NH-31 now. By taking this route, you would be bye-passing Naugachia completely. This place is called Tetri.
I took this route barely a fortnight ago. Tetri is apparently popular among the local residents for it's temple of goddess Durga. And this road led me to the front of this temple.
Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-dsc_0018.jpg

Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-dsc_0019.jpg

When you reach this temple, just cross it and take the immediate left road. It will lead you to the main highway. I had read about this road in this thread, as mentioned by Sheel but had forgot about it. It was midday and was too hot when I was going from Bhagalpur side towards Purnea, so I stopped at a dhaba at this intersection to buy a bottle of cold water. The road was visible and I saw one or two small cars taking this route. I suddenly remembered about this post, checked it with the people at the dhaba and went through. The road was decent but was narrow at places, although the road surface was good. I even took this route while returning back.
Old 9th May 2014, 11:30   #329

End of April I drove Kolkata - Sikkim - Kolkata in a Honda CRV with wife and 2 babies.

On the way up took route 4 and route 2 on the way down.
Route 2 is Definitely better, not just shorter amount of time, but for damage to car suspension etc.

Kolkata - Siliguri - 583km (Route 4 - Not Advised)

Kolkata - Bardhaman - 146km - AH 1, Grand Trunk Road NH 13 g
Bardhaman - Moregram - 132km - SH 8, SH7
Moregram - Farakka - 70km - NH 34
Farakka - English Bazzar - 34km - NH34
English Bazzar - Raiganj - 73km - NH34
Raiganj - Dalkhola - 47km - NH34

Kolkata - Siliguri - 642km (Route 2)

Kolkata - Bardhaman - 146km - AH 1, Grand Trunk Road NH 13
Bardhaman - Suri - 93km - NH 28
Suri - Dumka - 71km - NH 114A
Dumka - Bhagalpur (Bihar) (Search Khutaha to avoid going to Bhagalpur City) - 117km - SH 17
Bhagalpur - Purnia - 103km - NH31
Purnia - Dalkhola - 45km - NH31

the road between Burdwan and Moregram has speed bumps and rough patches. between villages can go maximum 60-80kph. When you get to the supposed ‘NH’ 34 it is still double lane for half the time and have to share road with trucks/vans cyclists etc. Even on the new 4 laned highway the local people drive the wrong side of the road since there has been no thought into how local people can get around and there is no traffic rule enforcement.
In general I found the SH/NH road conditions in WB were much worse than Bihar/Jarkhand and the scenery is not as interesting. I think the extra 60km is worth driving just to be on better roads.
shanti ambi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2014, 23:07   #330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanti ambi View Post
Dumka - Bhagalpur (Bihar) (Search Khutaha to avoid going to Bhagalpur City) - 117km - SH 17
Will you please give some detail on this? Google map is showing this place but all roads going north from there seems to lead back to Bhagalpur. Where do I deviate from the Dumka-Bhagalpur Road and how do I skip Bhagalpur town?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks