Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2015, 13:48   #541
BHPian

re: Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
15 mins for Bolpur to Siuri!! I know the Brio is quite a fast hatch, but. Jokes apart, I know you only meant that the Speedbreakers last for 15 mins of the drive.
Right. I meant the speed breaker part only.

Quote:
That was quite an ordeal isn't it. Pretty much echoes my own sentiments on this route. However, we do have some who prefer this route.
I still regret that decision of Halting in Malda rather than Bhagalpur. As mentioned earlier, I am not taking the left turn from Dalkhola for a very long time now.
Old 2nd July 2015, 13:03   #542
BHPian

At this moment I am sincerely waiting to hear from Shayan ( Scorpio25 ), the way the mssive land slides have destroyed major connectivity down till Siliguri, hope to hear that he and his family was back home safely.
themagicclicks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2015, 14:30   #543
BHPian

As per news at this moment, the road just after Coronation Bridge if I am correct, at the place named Kalijhora has collapsed too, so anybody returning from Dooars gets stranded too?
Old 2nd July 2015, 16:31   #544
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by themagicclicks View Post
As per news at this moment, the road just after Coronation Bridge if I am correct, at the place named Kalijhora has collapsed too, so anybody returning from Dooars gets stranded too?
If anyone coming from dooars, the suggested route will be to either come via Jalpaiguri or via Gazaldoba canal road through lataguri.
rahul_kej is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2015, 12:10   #545
Team-BHP Support

Car breaker alert!

As soon as you leave the dual carriage highway on NH-31 and are about to enter Islampur from Dalkola. Huge crater. Roles have been reversed, regulars shall know what I am talking about. This was there when you are about to enter Islampur from Siliguri.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2015, 13:55   #546
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Car breaker alert!

As soon as you leave the dual carriage highway on NH-31 and are about to enter Islampur from Dalkola. Huge crater. Roles have been reversed, regulars shall know what I am talking about. This was there when you are about to enter Islampur from Siliguri.
Condition no better if you enter Islampur from Siliguri side. If anyone planning to cross this route, kindly slow down your speed when about to enter Islampur or vice versa. This craters are fatal, as it appears suddenly without any signs of bad road.
Old 7th July 2015, 13:05   #547

Quote:
At this moment I am sincerely waiting to hear from Shayan ( Scorpio25 ), the way the mssive land slides have destroyed major connectivity down till Siliguri, hope to hear that he and his family was back home safely.
Thanks Nilanjan for your concern. Returned to Kolkata on the night of 6th July. Safe and sound! Thanks to all the good advice posted here!
Will post a detailed update in a couple of days!
Warm regards,
Shayan.
scorpio25 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2015, 10:28   #548
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_kej View Post
Condition no better if you enter Islampur from Siliguri side. If anyone planning to cross this route, kindly slow down your speed when about to enter Islampur or vice versa. This craters are fatal, as it appears suddenly without any signs of bad road.
Gosh, it was somewhat better just a week back. In one week, from small potholes, the craters have taken shape of big, car swallowing ditches.

A multi-axle 31 tonne rated truck [having 14 wheels] was stuck when trying to go to the other side to escape this.

We Scorpio people escaped with scraped mud-flaps, pity poor sedan/hatch drivers when these ditches would be filled with water.
Old 14th July 2015, 13:24   #549
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio25 View Post
Thanks Nilanjan for your concern. Returned to Kolkata on the night of 6th July. Safe and sound! Thanks to all the good advice posted here!
Will post a detailed update in a couple of days!
Warm regards,
Shayan.
Shayan, Update on your experience on the route please, let's continue helping others as we were helped by the people who started and kept posting to this thread.
Old 15th July 2015, 15:24   #550
BHPian

I have planned a trip to Murshidabad in the first week of August. I was initially planning to take SH7 from Burdwan and then SH11 near Khargram to reach Berhampore. However, after seeing Bhpian PapaBravo's pic of truck stuck in non-existent road amidst water, I am really sceptical.
The alternative route as suggested in GMap through NH-2B from Burdwan till Gumta and then following SH11 to Berhampore --- will this route be better? Please suggest which route to take 1) SH7/SH11 2) NH2B/SH11 3) NH34

Note: I will be driving in Ertiga with my wife and two small kids. My tour is not a must one tour, hence incase anyone feels like the road condition is not suitable now, please mention it
Thanking in advance for your valuable comments
Old 15th July 2015, 23:58   #551
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subhojitb View Post
I have planned a trip to Murshidabad in the first week of August. I was initially planning to take SH7 from Burdwan and then SH11 near Khargram to reach Berhampore. However, after seeing Bhpian PapaBravo's pic of truck stuck in non-existent road amidst water, I am really sceptical.
The alternative route as suggested in GMap through NH-2B from Burdwan till Gumta and then following SH11 to Berhampore --- will this route be better? Please suggest which route to take 1) SH7/SH11 2) NH2B/SH11 3) NH34

Note: I will be driving in Ertiga with my wife and two small kids. My tour is not a must one tour, hence incase anyone feels like the road condition is not suitable now, please mention it
Thanking in advance for your valuable comments
Ask gmhossain he'd guide you best about the NH34 route and SH7 too.
themagicclicks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2015, 10:36   #552

Quote:
Shayan, Update on your experience on the route please, let's continue helping others as we were helped by the people who started and kept posting to this thread.
Sorry for the delay! Posting a brief summary of the road conditions. Hope to follow up with a detailed travelogue.

Onward journey from Kolkata:
Route taken: Tollygunge (Kolkata) > Vidyasagar Setu > Dankuni > Saktigarh > Burdwan > Panagarh > Durgapur > Asansol > Dendua > Chittaranjan > Jamtara > Karmatar > Sarath > Deoghar > Katoria > Banka > Amarpur > Bhagalpur > Naugachia > Purnea > Dalkhola > Kishanganj > Islampur > Siliguri
Road condition: Till Panagarh NH2 is smooth; Diversions appear in the Durgapur Asansol Stretch - slows down journey but no threat to travel; Asansol to Jamtara stetch has silky smooth dual carriageway interrupted by few railway level crossings; Jamtara to Sarath stretch has poor roads - this stretch is being relaid completely and hence current poor condition due to ongoing work - manageable stretch with patience and caution; Sarath to Deoghar stretch absolutely freshly laid and well marked tarmac; Deoghar to Amarpur stretch is again good smooth dual carriageway interrupted by couple of diversions at culverts that are getting rebuilt; Amarpur is narrow and congested, road condition is decent nonetheless; Amarpur to Bhagalpur has good roads; Bhagalpur is dangerously congested with broken tarmac littered throughout; Vikramshilla Setu to Naugachia stretch is wide but with small craters distributed evenly thereby slowing down travel; Naugachia to Siliguri stretch is NH31 four laned and good to drive with few excusable broken portions and Islampur has two laned, congested and unevenly laid roads.
scorpio25 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2015, 11:27   #553
BHPian

Quote:
Ask gmhossain he'd guide you best about the NH34 route and SH7 too.
I am unable to PM or email gmhossain as I dont see any links from either my or his profile. Any help on the route query would be truly appreciated
Old 16th July 2015, 17:26   #554
BHPian

Quote:
It's bit tricky. So far the monsoon has been very active in the entire region of your possible routes and it has led to some damages to the roads. Besides, a spell of very heavy rain can change even a good road condition overnight. So before you embark, you should consider prevalent monsoon situation around the time of your journey. If it's not favorable then you should postpone the trip.

However, monsoon drive has its own charm despite having not-so-good roads. If so for you, then I can suggest a detour to avoid the bad stretch of SH-7 around Mangalkot area by going through Bhatar-Katwa (SH-14) - Ketugram-Futishanko (SH-6). Otherwise, your planned route (1) looks reasonable to me.

For NH-34 route, the worst stretch lies between Bethuadahari and Beldanga. Before monsoon, I have done that stretch several times this year in a hatchback. However, considering the monsoon, I won't suggest it before middle of September.

Another possible route could be to take Kalyani Expy, followed by SH-6 (Bansberia-Kalna-Nabadwip-Katwa) up to Futishanko (SH-7 crossing). Then
you could take SH-11 from Kuli Chowrasta to reach NH-34 near Baharampur. We did Kalyani Expy on July 12th and it's in top-shape even after the heavy rain of last week.
WBHDCL is developing the said stretch of SH-6 for last one year and it's apparently in good shape too. I was planning to take this route on July 14 to Malda. However, I had to abandon the plan as last few kms of the road to our Malda home has been badly damaged due to the rain and it has become SUV only for now. So we took a train to Farakka and took a Tata Sumo from there to home.

Best,
gmhossain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2015, 10:54   #555
BHPian

Thanks a ton GMHossain for your invaluable inputs. This would surely help my planning. will do a final check of the roads just before the journey incase any more torrential downpour occurs

Quote:
The alternative route as suggested in GMap through NH-2B from Burdwan till Gumta and then following SH11 to Berhampore --- will this route be better?
Just one quick question. Can you throw some light on the route above ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhossain View Post

However, monsoon drive has its own charm despite having not-so-good roads.
Best,
I fully agree with this view

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks