Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2015, 11:52   #556
Team-BHP Support

re: Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhossain View Post
I had to abandon the plan as last few kms of the road to our Malda home has been badly damaged due to the rain and it has become SUV only for now. So we took a train to Farakka and took a Tata Sumo from there to home.
I had been active on this route for 3 - 4 years, from 2004 to 2008/2009. From whatever I may recall, road construction used to start after Durga Puja or safer to say after Diwali. IMO, reason being, monsoon still being active.

But lets see, if repairs happen, well & good And thanks for sharing all the information
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2015, 15:36   #557
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subhojitb View Post
The alternative route as suggested in GMap through NH-2B from Burdwan till Gumta and then following SH11 to Berhampore --- will this route be better?
Just one quick question. Can you throw some light on the route above ?
The place "Gumta" sounded unfamiliar to me initially. However, (after checking with the map) it seems to be located just across the river from the town of Sainthia.

I drove on this stretch just before the monsoon. NH-2B up to Bolpur, barring Bhedia underpass, was mostly in good shape. NH-2B-extension between Bolpur and Kopai was OK (I drove through Taltor village to avoid Prantik level crossing). Between Kopai and Ahmedpur, the top layer was missing for several stretches. Between Ahmedpur and Sainthia, the road was OK with some badly undulated stretches. However, be aware that you need to go through some congested, narrow stretches within each small town.

I have not driven the stretch of SH-11 between Sainthia and Kuli. However, I have driven between Kuli and Baharampur multiple times. I have found SH-11 mostly in good condition.

Best,
Golam
gmhossain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2015, 10:31   #558
BHPian

So detailed info..awesome. Going by your observation, what I believe after this heavy monsoon, most of the top layers would not exist any more. So in all probability will be taking the Kalyani Expressway-Nabadwip-Kalna-Futishanko route. Will post if and once its done
Old 21st July 2015, 14:19   #559
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subhojitb View Post
Going by your observation, what I believe after this heavy monsoon, most of the top layers would not exist any more. So in all probability will be taking the Kalyani Expressway-Nabadwip-Kalna-Futishanko route. Will post if and once its done
We returned from Malda yesterday (in a train up to Bandel). Due to the ongoing construction work (final leg) of 4-laned railway-over-bridge, Kalyani Expressway is now closed to all traffic between Kampa More and Kalyani Buddha Park. Additionally, heavy vehicles are not allowed to take Ishwar Gupta Setu to cross Hooghly river and are being diverted to Bally bridge from SH-6 crossing at Bansberia. Apparently, the traffic restrictions will continue for next couple of weeks.

Until it reopens, my suggestion would be to take SH-13 (erstwhile Delhi Road) from Dankuni up to SH-6 crossing at Bansberia via Mogra. This road is undergoing 4-laning work under WBHDCL for last one year and has been re-christened as Dankuni-Kalyani Expressway. Apparently, it will become the north-west section of de-facto ring-road of Kolkata that will connect NH-2 (at Dankuni) and NH-34 (at Barajaguli) via Mogra-Kalyani-Kampa.

Best,
Old 21st July 2015, 19:58   #560
BHPian

Again, thanks is too little a word for all the continued help. In this revised circumstance, NH2, SH7 taking a detour after Bhatar bypassing mangalkot seems good to me. Whats your take?
Old 30th July 2015, 15:54   #561
BHPian

Taking the opportunity to share the experience of my recent (business) tour from Kolkata to Krishnagar to Behrampore taking the NH-34 route. I have been travelling on this route (upto Siliguri) for business and leisure for the past 15 odd years and this is the worst that I have ever seen. The road condition is simply hopeless. One can expect nothing but the worst. Few highlight points that I would like to mention :
  • The roads are fine once you cross the Dakbunglow More of Barasaat upto Jaguli
  • 5 Kms from Jaguli, the road is in tatters and again thereafter it is more or less fine upto Bhatjangla (before Krishnanagar)
  • From Krishnanagar to Behrampore there is literally NO ROAD that exists
  • Specially places like Bethuadahari, Plassey & Beldanga is in an atrocious state.
  • Be cautious while driving on the good stretches that you may find in between these points. They do not last for long
  • Cars with lower GC and longer wheelbase must be watchful and careful; it will require a lot of skill not to scrape the underbelly of your ride.

Attaching some pics for everyone's reference :

Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-p_20150725_111745.jpg

Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-p_20150725_114647.jpg

Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-p_20150725_145410.jpg

Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-p_20150725_221253.jpg

Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-p_20150726_155914.jpg

Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-p_20150726_161045.jpg

Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-p_20150726_161821.jpg

Last but not the least; a pic of my ride :
Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-p_20150727_142411.jpg
AJ-got-BHP is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st July 2015, 23:32   #562
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ-got-BHP View Post
Taking the opportunity to share the experience of my recent (business) tour from Kolkata to Krishnagar to Behrampore taking the NH-34 route...
  • The roads are fine once you cross the Dakbunglow More of Barasaat upto Jaguli
  • 5 Kms from Jaguli, the road is in tatters and again thereafter it is more or less fine upto Bhatjangla (before Krishnanagar)
  • From Krishnanagar to Behrampore there is literally NO ROAD that exists
Thanks Arav for sharing the update! I must admire your courage and skill on taking the Krishnanagar-Baharampur stretch of NH-34 in the peak of monsoon! This stretch was nightmare to cross even in the summer.

You seem to have suggested an interesting alternate route via Karimpur (SH-11) for this stretch. How long did it take cross this stretch through SH-11? Did you go via Jalangi?

Thanks,
Golam
gmhossain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2015, 15:54   #563
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhossain View Post
Thanks Arav for sharing the update! I must admire your courage and skill on taking the Krishnanagar-Baharampur stretch of NH-34 in the peak of monsoon! This stretch was nightmare to cross even in the summer.

You seem to have suggested an interesting alternate route via Karimpur (SH-11) for this stretch. How long did it take cross this stretch through SH-11? Did you go via Jalangi?

Thanks,
Golam
Jalangi is ahead of Karimpur. I did Krishnanagar to (upto) Karimpur a 85 Kms stretch of excellent roads and returned back via the same road back to Krishnanagar. It took me around 1 hour 15 mins !

However, I have a recent travel planned in 1st week of August to Behrampore with some unfinished work in Karimpur. Shall take the road from Karimpur to Behrampore via Domkal which is supposedly a pretty good stretch to drive on at the moment.

Last edited by AJ-got-BHP : 1st August 2015 at 15:54. Reason: Addition of matter
AJ-got-BHP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2015, 14:36   #564
Team-BHP Support

This Sunday morning, I would be driving to Calcutta. Unsure of what route to take, unsure because of the Kanwar [shravan] season & hence bottlenecks @ Deoghar, Basukinath etc.

Should I come till Maldah, cross Farrakah & then take the Burdawan route? I would not be going via Krishnanagar & Ranaghat [NH-34]

Have to go to Skoda's ASC located at Dhapa road. Any route suggestions for the same? As well as any hotel nearby?
Old 7th August 2015, 14:46   #565
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
This Sunday morning, I would be driving to Calcutta. Unsure of what route to take, unsure because of the Kanwar [shravan] season & hence bottlenecks @ Deoghar, Basukinath etc.

Should I come till Maldah, cross Farrakah & then take the Burdawan route? I would not be going via Krishnanagar & Ranaghat [NH-34]

Have to go to Skoda's ASC located at Dhapa road. Any route suggestions for the same? As well as any hotel nearby?
Hello Sheel !!

As mentioned earlier the Behrampore to Krishnanagar stretch is not advisable. However, the alternate route of Burdwan also needs a check now as many areas are flood effected in that region as of now with waist deep water due to the DVC releasing excess water. Please check on the same before finalizing your travel plan.
AJ-got-BHP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2015, 21:38   #566
Team-BHP Support

Hi!

Back from Calcutta. Thanks to BHPians who did guide me. Got detailed route info from BlackPearl and was in constant touch with him as well as 1100D, PapaBravo & Sutripta.

I took exactly the same route while going and coming back. When coming from Calcutta, I took a right turn at NH-2 [landmark being Renaissance township to your left] and then took a left again for NH 2B. Maps do show that you have to take a U-turn, but you do not have to. You have to take a left at the first junction you will come across. A left turn for NH-2B. You come across many non descript places on the route till you reach Bolpur/Shantiniketan. I did both [to & fro] drives at night. Traffic was less with cops being present.

Are there two underpasses at Bhedia? Both times, I took the outside one [I assume] as I saw trucks too taking it. Yeti didn't have any issue with respect to GC clearing it. While going it was filled with water.

While going from Siuri/Bolpur towards Burdawan, you have to watch out for Burdawan bypass. I didn't & thank God, it was a Sunday night at around 10, else I would have to suffer.

Bolpur to Siuri was nothing special, not many eateries too along the way. Took a left turn for Massanjore/Pattabari section. Came to Dumka. From Dumka, I went straight to Dhaka More at Banka via Hansdiha. You may search for Dhaka More on GMaps.

Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-img_20150812_150135.jpg

This is Dhaka More. My car is coming from Hansdiha side and will take a left for Banka. Straight goes to Bhagalpur over bad roads. Bhagalpur is ~40 kilometers from here. You add ~15 kilometers more but roads are better.

Now, to be honest, from Bounsi till Dhaka More, roads aren't in great shape. They were very bad a month earlier Ditches have been filled and is doable in a crossover. Caution to be exercised in a hatchback/sedan.

Bhagalpur to Dumka via Deoghar is some 190 kilometers. But via Hansdiha, Dhaka More, distance reduces by a whooping 50+ kilometers. If I had to do this again, I will pick the same route and not to do the circus of Deoghar route.

Ok, after entering via Dhaka More, you will have to negotiate [majorly] bad roads for ~12 kilometers. After that, you will come across a sand mining plot where lots of trucks are parked and a bridge[main road] goes to your right. Apologies for no picture as I was driving & couldn't stop. This is the coordinate [24.892168, 86.938919] Once you cross this bridge, you will face ~2 kilometers of congested traffic till a small bridge again. Post that its a straight & smooth run till Amarpur.

25.038727, 86.903120 at this point, you might get confused, but you got to take a right here. You may ask for Bhagalpur. Left will lengthen your distance to Bhagalpur by at least 10/15 kilometers over unknown roads.

Lets go to Bhagalpur & its bypass

Once you reach Bhagalpur main road and at the junction where straight road from Dumka joins [earlier taken road] you have to go straight. Yes, do not take a left/right turn. [25.237249, 86.974585]

25.236785, 86.981302 Here you have to go straight. Its a roundabout and your straight is a bit towards right. Around 2 kilometers from there, you come across this

Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-img_20150812_163045.jpg

If you see this, it means, you are on right track. Its a pretty straight road. You have to make a left turn at one point. This is after crossing an IOCL outlet to your right and an HPCL pump [this being the marker of your left turn. You do not have to cross this]

Alternatively, if confused, simply ask for Setu.

Road after Vikramshila Setu is relaid, so if work doesn't finish, expect jams.

On sunday, I left Purnia at 1PM and reached Dhulagori toll [stayed at Motel Sonar Bangla] at 11:30PM.

While going back, I left the same place at around 19:15 and reached resort Mark & Meadows, Bolpur at 23:35. Had put up for the night.

Left the resort at a leisurely 10AM and after multiple stops and a relaxed drive, reached home [Purnia] at ~18:00.

Four lane is required, yes. But if you are in a peaceful state of mind and a car which can keep you comfortable over these roads, then no worries. I missed my 4WD Scorpio till I hit NH-2, post which Yeti did a game over [as well as on Messanjore route]
Sheel is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th August 2015, 15:48   #567
BHPian

Quote:
Hi!

Back from Calcutta. Thanks to BHPians who did guide me. Got detailed route info from BlackPearl and was in constant touch with him as well as 1100D, PapaBravo & Sutripta.

]
It was great catching up Sheel

Quote:
I took exactly the same route while going and coming back. When coming from Calcutta, I took a right turn at NH-2 [landmark being Renaissance township to your left] and then took a left again for NH 2B.
Renaissance is quite easily visible & is on GMaps as well. Better Landmark for someone new on this route

Quote:
Are there two underpasses at Bhedia? Both times, I took the outside one [I assume] as I saw trucks too taking it. Yeti didn't have any issue with respect to GC clearing it. While going it was filled with water.
Yes. One goes from inside Bhedia town. The one you took would have been the byepass one. When I was going to Sikkim in June a truck had broken down right under that bridge, so took a U turn & went thru Bhedia town. 1100Ds video on this thread was very helpful.

Quote:
Now, to be honest, from Bounsi till Dhaka More, roads aren't in great shape. They were very bad a month earlier Ditches have been filled and is doable in a crossover. Caution to be exercised in a hatchback/sedan.
Any pictures ?

Quote:
Lets go to Bhagalpur & its bypass
Once you reach Bhagalpur main road and at the junction where straight road from Dumka joins [earlier taken road] you have to go straight. Yes, do not take a left/right turn. [25.237249, 86.974585]
Is this the same one we traced out on Maps ?

Quote:
Around 2 kilometers from there, you come across this

If you see this, it means, you are on right track.
This looks state of the art compared to the other Under-bridge.

Quote:
While going back, I left the same place at around 19:15 and reached resort Mark & Meadows, Bolpur at 23:35. Had put up for the night.
Trust Mark & Meadows didn't disappoint you.

Thanks for the update !!

Regards

Pawan
PapaBravo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2015, 21:12   #568
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBravo View Post
It was great catching up Sheel
Same here. With 3 BHPians.

Quote:
Renaissance is quite easily visible & is on GMaps as well. Better Landmark for someone new on this route
Couldn't have been more aptly located. But while coming from Siuri side, bypass could have been marked better.

Quote:
Any pictures ?
Sadly no. Imagine those ditches filled with mixture of stone chips & sand.

Quote:
Is this the same one we traced out on Maps ?
Yes.

Quote:
Trust Mark & Meadows didn't disappoint you.
It did not. Staff at 12 midnight were courteous. Speaks a lot.

Quote:
Thanks for the update !!
I owned this much to all of you. Thanks for helping me out Hope the update was useful.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2015, 22:04   #569
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Good choice, but expensive for what is just a few hrs night halt.
Good that you did not think of Barddhaman as night halt.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 17th August 2015, 22:11   #570
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi!

Too bad that I got stuck at office and could not catch up with you. Will meet you on the highway again

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks