Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2018, 20:48   #916
BHPian

re: Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)

Thanks again Golam-da for updating this thread with constructive inputs. So, does it mean that the Raiganj-Dalkhola section will be constructed as per schedule? If so, do you have any update on the estimated completion dates?

Regards,
Sayak

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhossain View Post
Malda Bypass:
Considering their dire financial situation, the HCC has now sold off entire Farakka-Raiganj highway stretch of NH-12 to Cube Highways, a Singapore based company [3]. So until the new company takes the charge, the opening of Malda bypass is likely to be delayed again!

The HCC is apparently also planning to sell-off the Baharampore-Farakka stretch. I wish they do it soon. They started collecting toll in this stretch in 2014. Still, they haven't been able to complete Baharampur Bypass in this last 4 years.
Old 22nd December 2018, 21:01   #917

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samratrek View Post
Dear BHPians
I am planning to drive from Raxaul (Birgunj Nepal border) to Siliguri through India in the next 10/15 days.
Though the shortest distance is through Nepal i.e. 430 km, I would like to explore the roads in North Bihar.
Google Maps is giving the following route:
Raxaul-Motihari-Muzaffarpur-Darbhanga-Pratapganj-Forbesganj-Araria-Bahadurganj-Thakurganj-Siliguri.
I am aware about the Raxaul-Muzaffarpur stretch, need information on the remaining section i.e. the Muzaffarpur-Siliguri stretch.
I think Sheel can help me on this.
By the way "nihilultra", me too a Kolkata SXCian 1994 Chem Batch.
Regards
Samrat
Hi Samrat,

I see that you mentioned you know about the condition on the Raxaul Muzaffarpur stretch. Can you tell me what the condition is like on that stretch? (even if the info maybe from June 2018). On basic google search it shows that the route from Pipra Kothi to Raxaul was in tatters in 2017.
Old 23rd December 2018, 10:31   #918
BHPian

[quote=forcooler;4516594]Hi Samrat,

I see that you mentioned you know about the condition on the Raxaul Muzaffarpur stretch. Can you tell me what the condition is like on that stretch? (even if the info maybe from June 2018).

Hi Forcooler
Muzaffarpur-Raxaul section is around 145 kms & if you are driving during the day it would take around a maximum of 3hrs, I had been doing it in 2.5 hours as well.
A word of caution, its very foggy these days & might delay your planned timings.
It is not at all what used to exist an year back or so to say 6 months back. Earlier just the Motihari-Sagauli-Raxaul stretch of 55/56 kms used to take 4 hours, particularly the Sagauli-Raxaul section full of 6 to 8 inch deep craters with almost everyone having incidents of their car getting damaged.
Muzaffarpur-Raxaul section can be divided into 4 segments:
1)Muzaffarpur-Piprakothi
It's around 64 km,& it’s a 4 lane smooth drive through the newly completed NH 27(with traffic signages & roadside assistance displays),with not much traffic & trucks normally here stay to the left, you will find occasional local Bolero's as well as local bikers sometimes using the wrong side of the road to cross a village. You will also find petrol pumps at decent expected distances, but do not expect high class dhabas as you get around weekend drives from metro cities. You can cruise along at an average of 80 kmph
2)Piprakothi-Motihari
It’s around 25 km & just been completed but the signages & dividers are missing at some points to come, but it’s no more the old potholed highway. Since this is the approach to Motihari you will find a lot of indisciplined local traffic.
3)Motihari-Sagauli
This is also around 26 kms & is now black topped & smooth with almost a 4 lane breadth, but again without dividers, you can cruise along at an average of 60 kmph.
4)Sagauli-Raxaul
This 30 km stretch has been very recently (around 5/6 months) been black topped, & you will able to cruise along at an average of 50 kmph. About 4-5 kms has some minor potholes which would slow down the speed & also when nearing Raxaul, you might face a long que of Nepal bound trucks stranded on one side of the Highway for border clearance.

Regards

Samrat
Samratrek is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2019, 18:34   #919
Team-BHP Support

Guys, completely avoid this route because all CV traffic going via Farrakah has been directed to Vikramshila Setu and its a mess.

Its advised to take Farrakah route till CV's don't ply and then, one can take this route.
Sheel is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th February 2019, 11:45   #920
BHPian

Hello folks, I intend to embark on a trip from Hyderabad to Guwahati in my 9 year old Alto, reason being I intend to send the car to my hometown where my family folks can use it for some small errands. So instead of couriering it thinking of driving down all the way. Most of the route is sorted out but the Kolkata to Siliguri section seems to have various plus minuses depending on the route taken.

Thinking of planning a stopover in the vicinity of Dankuni and doing an early morning start to Siliguri. Now I haven't decided on the date yet but planning to undertake the journey within the next 3 to 4 months.

I was hoping if someone can advise me on which route to take that will be easy on my Alto. Per Google maps the route through Bardhaman, Farakka, Malda, Botolbari, Dhantola takes less time, but there are various alternate routes through Asansol, Purnea, Dalkhola as taken by forum members within this forum and friends. Trying to search for the right information afresh. I will appreciate any inputs.
Old 14th February 2019, 00:35   #921
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandx View Post
but there are various alternate routes through Asansol, Purnea, Dalkhola as taken by forum members within this forum and friends.
I took this route while coming back from Guwahati to Kolkata last week of Jan and had horrible experience. From Purnea to Bihar-Jharkhand border, one lane was completely occupied by trucks. It was only other side of the road that was being used by both side traffic. It took around 5:30 hours to cross 150 KM.

Farakka is also in a bad shape, as one side of the bridge was only operational. While going to Guwahati, I took the Farakka route. Based on that experience, my suggestion would be to take Burdwan - Farakka route.
Krishroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2019, 19:46   #922
BHPian

Hi Guys, need your advice. I have booked a zoomcar from Siliguri to drive to Raiganj and back. Start from Siliguri on 12-March noon and start back from Raiganj on 13-March morning. Please suggest the best route. Is it via Dalkhola or Dhantola - Botolbari ?
Old 6th March 2019, 11:51   #923
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Hi Guys, need your advice. I have booked a zoomcar from Siliguri to drive to Raiganj and back. Start from Siliguri on 12-March noon and start back from Raiganj on 13-March morning. Please suggest the best route. Is it via Dalkhola or Dhantola - Botolbari ?
Yeah, Dhantola - Botolbari is the preferred route.

Last edited by Zappo : 6th March 2019 at 19:03. Reason: Typo corrected
NomadicLife is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2019, 10:09   #924
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Take the Dhantola - Botolbari route. It is acurately plotted on Google map. So you can follow it blindly. Good road though narrow. Just be careful while driving as you will be crossing many villages enroute
Sandy28 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2019, 13:34   #925
BHPian

Did Kolkata - Siliguri yesterday 12 March, route taken was Bardhhman, Morgram, Farakka, Malda bypass, Botolbari, Dhantola, Siliguri.
Malda bypass is not ready, but any vehicle can do this route.
Botolbari-Dhantola cautious driving is required as the roads are narrow and 2 vehicles is not a fit, you will need to get off road. At some places the off road is a deep pit, so incoming traffic has to be cautiously managed. Last 200 meters to join NH towards Siliguri has huge craters, be mindful of the same.
Old 18th March 2019, 09:49   #926
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by toppor View Post
Did Kolkata - Siliguri yesterday 12 March, route taken was Bardhhman, Morgram, Farakka, Malda bypass, Botolbari, Dhantola, Siliguri.
Botolbari-Dhantola cautious driving is required as the roads are narrow and 2 vehicles is not a fit, you will need to get off road. At some places the off road is a deep pit, so incoming traffic has to be cautiously managed. Last 200 meters to join NH towards Siliguri has huge craters, be mindful of the same.
Can you please update us on what route did you take for Bardhaman-Morgram & the current condition of that route.
Regards
Samrat
Old 18th March 2019, 09:59   #927
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samratrek View Post
Can you please update us on what route did you take for Bardhaman-Morgram & the current condition of that route.
Regards
Samrat
Did the usual Bardhhman - Khargram - Morgram, the route is a breeze to drive, however at one place I forgot the name, route towards Bardhhman, trucks are stopped in a queue, and only one side moving towards Morgram is open. There are civic police there, but they are only bothered with stopping trucks. The road shoulder is thin, so one need to get down from the road to continue movement. As the 2 lane road now has 3 lane traffic, however we were not stuck more than 5 minutes.
There are very low possibility of food, so do stock up.
The roads are good, however every time you cross a village, there's huge commotion and you need to drive very slow, average speed taking a hit.
toppor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2019, 10:04   #928
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by toppor View Post
How much time did it take to do the stretch?
Any specific start time that would help make it better?
Cheers,
Deepak
Old 18th March 2019, 10:14   #929
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
How much time did it take to do the stretch?
Any specific start time that would help make it better?
Cheers,
Deepak
I was actually travelling from Kolkata, and I started from Kolkata airport area at 5:30 AM and reached Siliguri at 6:15 PM, this was with multiple breaks as we had a toddler travelling, so feeding and nappy breaks were inevitable.
Specifically Bardhhman to Siliguri - with Malda Bypass we did it in 10.5 hours, Farakka although we were lucky that Siliguri bound route was open and we were allowed, however we were stuck on the bridge itself for about 45 minutes.
Post Raigunj took the Botolbari exit to Dhantola, the road itself is madness with multitudes of villages en-route, drive very carefully here. Islampur again is chaos with truck traffic, keep 30 minutes to cross the Islampur section.
Rest is a breeze.
toppor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2019, 21:31   #930
BHPian

Farakka updates:
  • The trucks/heavy vehicles are now being to allowed to go over the Farrakka barrage road since Mar 15th. Consequently, the long, I mean really long, truck queues are now back on both sides of the barrage!

We drove to Malda on Mar 20, 2019. We were forced to switch to the right carriageway before Ballalpur (iconic bailey bridge) and we continued until the approach of the Farakka barrage. Unfortunately, we missed the one-way window by a couple of minutes and had to wait about 90 minutes for it to re-open from Farakka side. While returning on Mar 24, we could see the truck queue that was extending beyond Kaliachak. Again we drove through the right carriageway and had to wait for an hour at the barrage approach for the one-way window.

• Nevertheless, this long ordeal could come to an end within 2 weeks from now as bitumen surfacing work for the 2nd lane of the barrage road has also started.

• Finally, the work for the new twin road bridge at Farakka is in full swing. I was surprised to see the amount of pier works that they have completed in last 3 months. Let's hope that this Indo-China JV company can complete it by 2022 as planned.

The really long truck queue -- approach to Farakka from Ballalpur end on Mar 20, 2019
Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-ballalpurfarakka20190320.jpg

Chaotic approach to Farakka from Kaliachak end on Mar 24, 2019
Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-farakkaapproach20190324.jpg
gmhossain is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed