Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2021, 02:45   #1186
BHPian

Re: Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)

I have moved from Bangalore to Kolkata on May 2020 specifically to tour this part of the country by bike and car (have used this option to move jobs and cities all over the country - bad career move, but awesome memories :-) ).

Since the Covid restrictions and other teething issues, finally planning to Ride (TBTS 350) to Darjeeling from Kolkata, starting Nov 21.

Sice I do not want to hurry on the road and my wife will be my pilion, I am planningto start by 1 AM so that we can reach siliguri in daylight and also not take any unncessary speeding risks.

Is the New Route [Dankuni - Mogra - Kalna] OK (Safe) if we start at 1 Am from Rajarhat?

The whole route would be - Rajarhat - Dankuni - Mogra - Kalna - Krishnanagar - Moregram - .... Krishnanagar was our FIRST West Bengal Ride and the road conditions were such that we really do not want to go there again!

Option 2 (If above is not safe) is to take the Bardhaman route. Would that also be safe till dawn time if we start at 1 AM? Considering we will be almost reaching Moregram in the dark

Regards,
Saurab C

Last edited by Exhaust_Note : 28th October 2021 at 02:52.
Old 29th October 2021, 00:22   #1187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhaust_Note View Post
Is the New Route [Dankuni - Mogra - Kalna] OK (Safe) if we start at 1 AM from Rajarhat?
Golam ji responsed in another place. Posting it here in case anyone else is also having a similar query.

"It's generally safe. I haven't seen any report of any untoward incident along this route! Actually, it's as safe as SH-7, if not safer. I know few people who did this route in the night, in last few weeks."

Thank you Sir!
Exhaust_Note is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2021, 13:06   #1188

Quote:
I have moved from Bangalore to Kolkata on May 2020 specifically to tour this part of the country by bike and car (have used this option to move jobs and cities all over the country - bad career move, but awesome memories :-) ).

Since the Covid restrictions and other teething issues, finally planning to Ride (TBTS 350) to Darjeeling from Kolkata, starting Nov 21.

Sice I do not want to hurry on the road and my wife will be my pilion, I am planningto start by 1 AM so that we can reach siliguri in daylight and also not take any unncessary speeding risks.

Is the New Route [Dankuni - Mogra - Kalna] OK (Safe) if we start at 1 Am from Rajarhat?

The whole route would be - Rajarhat - Dankuni - Mogra - Kalna - Krishnanagar - Moregram - .... Krishnanagar was our FIRST West Bengal Ride and the road conditions were such that we really do not want to go there again!

Option 2 (If above is not safe) is to take the Bardhaman route. Would that also be safe till dawn time if we start at 1 AM? Considering we will be almost reaching Moregram in the dark

Regards,
Saurab C

Hi Saurab,

Your plan to move around the country with touring in mind sounds awesome. Instant envy!

With respect to your trip plans, won't the night curfew across West Bengal be a problem? According to an article in India Today, "The night curfew hours of 11pm-5am will continue to be in force but will be relaxed during Kali puja and Diwali from November 2-5 and for Chhat Puja on November 10 and 11."

I'm planning to ride from Kolkata to Siliguri (and then on to the hills) around November 14th. I'll leave from New Town at 5am and take Golam Da's suggested route.
debsena is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2021, 16:00   #1189
BHPian

Did a solo round trip to Jalpaiguri in my 14 year 1,50,000 kms driven Alto. I stay near airport, and started at 6.15 am. Took the Mogra Kalna Nawadwip route. Roads are overall good. Point to note is Gouranga Setu is closed for repair. At one point, a notice says prohibited for vehicles above 8 tonnes, and at the exit towards Krishnanagar says prohibited for all vehicles till 11th November, but I could sail through though. Dalkhola is still to be avoided, I guess one flank of the flyover should open up soon, in another month max.Time taken was 13.5 hours while going to Jalpaiguri, thanks to the mess at the ending point after Fulbari Ghoshpukur bypass, by the canal. While returning, it took me 12 hours and 15 mins. It was a solo drive, and max 1/2 hour break in total while returning.

Last edited by sbanerjee : 4th November 2021 at 16:04.
sbanerjee is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2021, 19:58   #1190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbanerjee View Post
Point to note is Gouranga Setu is closed for repair. At one point, a notice says prohibited for vehicles above 8 tonnes, and at the exit towards Krishnanagar says prohibited for all vehicles till 11th November, but I could sail through though.
Thanks for the update on the route. The news regarding the bridge came in the newspaper as well [1]. Right now, only the heavy vehicles are prohibited.

However, the expansion joint repair could led to a full closure of the bridge for a day or two. In that case, one should continue along SH-6 to reach SH-7 at Futishanko via Katwa. The SH-6 surface is in pretty good condition all the way up to SH-7 crossing at Fushanko. Then one can follow the usual SH-7 route to Morgram.

A reason for the recent damage to the bridge, is in fact the poor condition of NH-12 between Krishananagar and Barasat. I have seen even the heavily loaded trucks are now taking SH-6 route to avoid this stretch of NH-12 (old NH-34). BTW, Gouranga Setu is around 50 years old!

Luckily, in the last few weeks some patch repairing have been carried out in the said stretch of NH-12. So those rim-bending, suspension-wrecking, humongous potholes of NH-12 are now gone. It's still uneven but NH-12 is now in a doable shape in this stretch.

[1] https://www.telegraphindia.com/west-...ge/cid/1835284

Best,

Last edited by gmhossain : 4th November 2021 at 20:04.
gmhossain is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th November 2021, 16:35   #1191
BHPian

Me too, went on a solo trip to Kalimpong and Darjeeling. Started on 3rd evening at 7 from Golpark and reached Dankuni by 8:30 due to the traffic on AJC Bose Flyover. Reached Kalimpong at 8 next morning. Followed Golam-da's route to the T (through SH-6). Passed through Dalkhola at 3.30 in the morning and it looked like a ghost town . While returning, started at 7.30 from Darjeeling, weathered all those storms on NH-34 (Dalkhola, Baharampur, Raiganj etc) which I breezed through at midnight during the onwards journey. Reached home at 9.30 in the evening. Took sometime near Siliguri as the bridge near Matigara is broken and I had to take the Rohini route and through Panighatta Tea Garden to reach Bagdogra.

Nabadwip bridge is under repair in fractions. They are charging toll of Rs.10 for all vehicles. However weight limit is 8 tonnes. But till 7th evening, traffic was allowed from both sides.

I think night drive is best to reach Siliguri (keeping safety in mind as well) and probably morning 3-4 is the sweetspot to pass through Dalkhola. Also, given the travel time hovering around 12 hours for a 550+ Km distance, this is becoming more friendlier like our bread and butter Kolkata-Puri 500 km-10 hrs drive.
Wanderer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2021, 18:42   #1192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhossain View Post
However, the expansion joint repair could led to a full closure of the bridge for a day or two. In that case, one should continue along SH-6 to reach SH-7 at Futishanko via Katwa. The SH-6 surface is in pretty good condition all the way up to SH-7 crossing at Fushanko. Then one can follow the usual SH-7 route to Morgram.
We are planning to take the old Delhi route as above in 1-2 weeks from now(instead of my preferred SH7 route) . Is there any way we can know before starting whether Gaurango Setu is fully closed. If it’s closed I will better fall back to SH7 via Ullas more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
Followed Golam-da's route to the T (through SH-6).
Nabadwip bridge is under repair in fractions. They are charging toll of Rs.10 for all vehicles. However weight limit is 8 tonnes. But till 7th evening, traffic was allowed from both sides.
We are also planning to take the same route in night drive ( usually I always take SH7) How do you find the evening traffic from Dankuni to Old Delhi road (especially truck traffic) ? Is it manageable? Also is there anything you saw or heard indicating when Gaurango Setu could be fully closed for all vehicles for maintenance?
Old 8th November 2021, 19:42   #1193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownianmotion View Post
Is there any way we can know before starting whether Gaurango Setu is fully closed.
Looks like, the main closure phase is over [1]. Now onward, repairing work will be carried out only in parts. So the movement of light vehicles won't be affected any more!

Quote:
and probably morning 3-4 is the sweetspot to pass through Dalkhola. Also, given the travel time hovering around 12 hours for a 550+ Km distance, this is becoming more friendlier like our bread and butter Kolkata-Puri 500 km-10 hrs drive.
Thank you for the update. It seems that Kolkata-bound flank of the Dalkhola bypass ROB is near-ready now. As per social media, the bikers have already started plying using the new ROB. So I guess, the good days for vehicles aren't very far off at Dalkhola! Once Dalkhola bypass opens (just the one-side), then as you have said, Kolkata - Siliguri drive would become a routine and predictable one!

[1] https://eisamay.com/west-bengal-news...w/87431048.cms
gmhossain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2021, 19:49   #1194
BHPian

Quote:
We are also planning to take the same route in night drive ( usually I always take SH7) How do you find the evening traffic from Dankuni to Old Delhi road (especially truck traffic) ? Is it manageable? Also is there anything you saw or heard indicating when Gaurango Setu could be fully closed for all vehicles for maintenance?
Traffic from Dankuni crossing towards Mogra flyover is a bit messy upto Baidyabati. Cycles, bikes, pedestrians et al and that is why these can be avoided once you travel after 9.There is some truck traffic after you take SH-6 -STKK Road, but manageable during late hours since it is easy to overtake once the cycles and bikes clear up. But yes, the opposite traffic comes blaring with high beams, but 80% times people oblige by dipping. Bumpers are not marked and neither are guard rails, these appear when localities start so you need to keep an eye once you spot a locality since either or both will definitely be there. Railway crossings appear with belly scraping bumps. I travelled solo, hence my Polo survived them.
No definite information on the Gouranga Setu closure, but heard the toll plaza person telling few locals that travel is allowed across 24 hours. Frankly I do not know what it meant. Maybe it was proposed to be closed for sometime during the day but no clarity on that. Better to check Google Maps and local news on the same before travelling. As a matter of fact I did not even know before travelling that it was due for repairs and may be closed.
Wanderer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2021, 20:09   #1195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhossain View Post
Thank you for the update. It seems that Kolkata-bound flank of the Dalkhola bypass ROB is near-ready now. As per social media, the bikers have already started plying using the new ROB. So I guess, the good days for vehicles aren't very far off at Dalkhola! Once Dalkhola bypass opens (just the one-side), then as you have said, Kolkata - Siliguri drive would become a routine and predictable one!

[1] https://eisamay.com/west-bengal-news...w/87431048.cms
But Golam-da as you had warned, I did keep an eye on those terrible potholes from Dalkhola till Ghoshpukur. At cruisng speeds , they are just invisible. Some even have capacity to rip the underbody of a low GC car like Polo.
Yes, a warning for the ones travelling during night, look out for the deadly uneven surfaces on NH-27 after Dalkhola till Ghoshpukur. I suggest to take the left lane since it has much lesser ones.
Wanderer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 17:12   #1196
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by debsena View Post
With respect to your trip plans, won't the night curfew across West Bengal be a problem? According to an article in India Today, "The night curfew hours of 11pm-5am will continue to be in force...
Quote:
Me too, went on a solo trip to Kalimpong and Darjeeling. Started on 3rd evening at 7 from Golpark and reached Dankuni by 8:30 due to the traffic on AJC Bose Flyover. Reached Kalimpong at 8 next morning...
Quote:
We are also planning to take the same route in night drive
Debsena ji, your point is valid and somehow I had totally missed that.
But considering Waderer's Solo Trip, I think it is feasible. Shall ask him in a Quote Response.

Also brownianmotion, do you have any clarity for the Long Distance Riders being exempted? Since you are also planning similar travel?

Any help/ Suggestion would me most welsome!
Old 11th November 2021, 15:14   #1197
BHPian

Quote:
But considering Waderer's Solo Trip, I think it is feasible. Shall ask him in a Quote Response.
Night curfew was relaxed from 2-5 November
Old 11th November 2021, 15:46   #1198
BHPian

Quote:
Night curfew was relaxed from 2-5 November
Shucks. But many, many thanks for pointing that out.
The Plan has been updated - Instead of 1 AM in the morning of 21st, we will ride out before 3 PM on 20th and halt at Berhampur. Start off early morning from Berhampur and reach Siliguri in daylight (At least Botolbari will be in broad daylight for sure).

Route
Day 0 - EOD Ride - Kolkata | Nabadwip | Berhampur
Day 1 - Berhampur to Matigara (Booking was done there per original plan)
Day 2 - Matigara to Darjeeling (Via Mirik)
Days 3/4/5 - Tribeni / Pelling Skywalk/ LOcal leusire in Darjeeling
Day 6 - Darjeeling to Malda (Accomodation booked)
Day 7 - Malda to Kolkata

This will be my first 300+ KM ride in WB, first intro to the [lower] Himalayas. So am excited and also a little anxious on how this will turn out.

Bike will be Hero XPulse 200 (The pre-owned TBTS 350 needs serious medical care before any long ride)

Cheers!
Saurab C
Exhaust_Note is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 15:41   #1199
BHPian

Just saw a Video on you tube that Dalkhola ROB (one side) is open for bikes. Also, the Google Maps Traffic for the last few days is showing a minimum of red just on the two sides of the railway crossing which is kind of normal for any such crossing.

If the above data indeed points to the fact that the ROB is partially open, any confirmation would really bring a lot of joy to all travellers!
Old 16th November 2021, 11:59   #1200
BHPian

Quote:
Just saw a Video on you tube that Dalkhola ROB (one side) is open for bikes. Also, the Google Maps Traffic for the last few days is showing a minimum of red just on the two sides of the railway crossing which is kind of normal for any such crossing.

If the above data indeed points to the fact that the ROB is partially open, any confirmation would really bring a lot of joy to all travellers!
The ROB is not open officially but you can take your bike through the gaps of the concrete blocks (These blocks are actually meant to stop plying of vehicles over the new ROB spans!). The top asphalt layer over two new spans is not yet done but the locals are taking their bikes for more than a week now. So I don't see why you can't take your bike as well.
gmhossain is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks